Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Amazing longevity
Posted by: keef94 ()
Date: December 27, 2023 15:23

Just wanted to see if this blows anyone else's mind too: Steel Wheels was released in the first half of the Rolling Stones' career.

Re: Amazing longevity
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 27, 2023 15:38

Yes, we could update Charlie's classic line in 1986 to say "5 years of working, 55 years of hanging round."

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 27, 2023 15:55

keef94
Just wanted to see if this blows anyone else's mind too: Steel Wheels was released in the first half of the Rolling Stones' career.

Or the fact that Darryl is the Stones longest serving bass player. (just about?)

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: December 27, 2023 16:11

keef94

Mind blown indeed. I feel like the halfway should be around Some Girls.

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: December 27, 2023 16:15

Steel Wheel was at a time when the Rolling Stones were active in recording new music.

The Rolling Stones creating active years almost ended with A Bigger Bang.

Since that a blues cover album and a few singles went before Hackney Diamonds, otherwise they went a cashing machine on past material exploitation.

So this statistic doesn't really moves me.

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: December 27, 2023 16:28

treaclefingers
keef94

Or the fact that Darryl is the Stones longest serving bass player. (just about?)

...without having contributed anything to the sound of the Stones!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 27, 2023 16:51

keef94

Or that they've released four albums of new material in the second half of it

Or that the 'new' guitarist has been with them for almost 80% of their career.

Posted by: dedospegajosos ()
Date: December 27, 2023 16:54

HardRiffin
treaclefingers
keef94

Just like Steve!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 27, 2023 19:07

keef94

For anyone who remembers it new, maybe that amazing longevity applies to all of us?

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 27, 2023 20:03

*Imagine it's 1962, and you go into a record shop and buy a new album by a band that formed in 1900.
* rounded to 2024.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: December 27, 2023 20:04

MKjan
*Imagine it's 1962, and you go into a record shop and buy a new album by a band that formed in 1900.
* rounded to 2024.

Good one.

Date: December 27, 2023 20:06

MKjan
* rounded to 2024.

1962 ? Well there is this single just released by 4 northern guys...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-27 20:06 by ds1984.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 27, 2023 20:17

ds1984
MKjan
* rounded to 2024.

** disqualified ** for an ersatz money grab. they are long gone, the Stones are here with a #1 album.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 27, 2023 20:24

Wow, really hard to believe it. I remember the excitement of getting a new Stones album. At the time I was living in Madrid. I always return to a particular memory of driving around a beautiful spot in Toledo, Almost Hear You Sigh was on the radio and I said to everyone in the car yeah that's The Rolling Stones they're back! Then in June 1990 I got to see my second Stones concert in Madrid. What a memory. Last year I returned to Madrid which was emotional because of my deep love for it. Plus I was surrounded by an Argentinian family and we had an amazing time. That's the reason of loving it through the years.

Date: December 27, 2023 21:07

MKjan
ds1984
MKjan
* rounded to 2024.

** disqualified ** for an ersatz money grab. they are long gone, the Stones are here with a #1 album.

Memory Almost Full
New
Egypt Station
McCartney III

All original new stuff (reason I excluded Kisses on the Bottom from the list) while the others were cashing on old stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-27 21:09 by ds1984.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 27, 2023 22:49

ds1984, you missed Chaos And Creation. Probably his best work since Band On The Run in my opinion.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: December 27, 2023 23:00

treaclefingers
keef94

Playing in 30 years on the same amount of studio albums (three!) that Bill played on in 1964 and 1965.

Date: December 27, 2023 23:52

frankotero
ds1984, you missed Chaos And Creation. Probably his best work since Band On The Run in my opinion.

Excluded from my list as Chaos And Creation was released at the same time as A Bigger Bang.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 28, 2023 00:21

I count their artistic longevity from the mid sixties to the to the late seventies though. About 15 years. Longer than most bands anyway. From then on they have been able to capitalize on that.
That's how I see it. 15 years of sowing, 43 years of harvesting.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 28, 2023 05:11

hockenheim95
treaclefingers
keef94

Playing in 30 years on the same amount of studio albums (three!) that Bill played on in 1964 and 1965.

That's not the same as "serving."

Besides, it's not like its Darryl's fault he's not on more Stones albums. Tally in various live releases... I dunno, haven't checked - maybe?

Something tells me Darryl, Bill and the Stones don't care. Because it doesn't matter.

Posted by: LoveInVain69 ()
Date: December 28, 2023 08:24

That;s true. You could also say Darryl played on as many Stones albums as Bill did in the 1980s (5)... TBH I have recently become turned off by their marketing machine. I still love the music, but that's about it. The music, and Keith and Ronnie as personalities.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 28, 2023 10:19

HardRiffin
treaclefingers
keef94

Yeah, I just don’t get that the, you know, ACTUAL ROLLING STONES, don’t hear what some of you hear in Daryl’s playing. That is… nothing. Our heroes must be tone deaf to hear his non-contribution.

Rod

Date: December 28, 2023 10:20

Note : The Rolling Stones disbanded after Dirty Works and went solo ventures before the taste of success made Sir Mick and Rebel Keith bury the hatchet.

So The Kinks (1964-1996) are beating the Stones in uniterrupted logevity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-28 10:20 by ds1984.

Date: December 28, 2023 10:26

I don't get Darryl bashing

Both Mick and Keith decided that he was good enough to play for them.

Do these fans think that Doug Wimbish would have been a better option if he had not turned down the offer?

I should remember that Mick T was also considered by somes as not fitting the Rolling Stones spirit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-28 10:27 by ds1984.

Date: December 28, 2023 13:04

The Stones' formation is now closer to 1900 - when Queen Victoria was on the throne and William McKinley was President of the USA - than it is to the present day.

Date: December 28, 2023 13:06

ds1984
Note : The Rolling Stones disbanded after Dirty Works and went solo ventures before the taste of success made Sir Mick and Rebel Keith bury the hatchet.

So The Kinks (1964-1996) are beating the Stones in uniterrupted logevity.

Er - no they didnt.

Plus Jagger's debut solo album - which was part of the same CBS contract that included 'Dirty Work' - came out a year BEFORE that release.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-28 14:56 by Gazza.

Date: December 28, 2023 14:48

LoveInVain69
That;s true. You could also say Darryl played on as many Stones albums as Bill did in the 1980s (5)... TBH I have recently become turned off by their marketing machine. I still love the music, but that's about it. The music, and Keith and Ronnie as personalities.

I don't think that Darryl is on five Stones-albums? Only VL, B2B, ABB and B&L. On some of them he's not playing that much, either (Three tracks on B2B ).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-28 14:49 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: December 28, 2023 15:18

The strange thing about choosing Darryl is that he's not a rock and roll bass player - he's a funk/jazz/fusion bass player. I think Charlie made a mistake there.
When Bill quit some of the roll in rock and roll quit too. I don't think Darryl benefited from it either - other than financially...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-28 18:21 by Stoneage.

Date: December 28, 2023 15:18

Double post...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-28 15:25 by Stoneage.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: December 28, 2023 18:41

bitusa2012
Yeah, I just don’t get that the, you know, ACTUAL ROLLING STONES, don’t hear what some of you hear in Daryl’s playing. That is… nothing. Our heroes must be tone deaf to hear his non-contribution.

It's not uncommon in rock and roll for musicians to prize technical qualities that their fans couldn't care less about. Lester Bangs did an interview with Lou Reed where Reed goes on about how great the new George Benson album is because of the clean guitar tone, and Bangs can't believe what he's hearing.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2073
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home