Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 6 of 10
Re: Brian's guitars
Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: October 27, 2008 20:49

Love to hear those Beggars Banquet sessions and recordings. I want to know how Brian's style was in those days. Because he was in a bad condition and he didn't play the guitar that much...

Posted by: partnerincrime ()
Date: November 25, 2008 11:33

hello.
according to tony bacon's 60 years of telecaster, brian played a telly for the solo on little red rooster. does anybody something more about it?
ciao
m.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: November 25, 2008 11:47

Palace Revolution 2000
Is there not a shot (that I've seen somewhere) of both Keith and Brian with a Firebird?

They both had Firebirds. Brian's was a Firebird VII. Keith plays a Firebird III (?) in the IORR promo clip.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: November 25, 2008 11:48

Elmo Lewis
Keith says he used a Maton on "Gimme Shelter" that someone left at his "pad". He also says that it fell apart at the end of recording the song. Same as Brian's?

Keith has said it was left at his flat by an Aussie backpacker which makes some sense as it is an Australian made guitar.

Posted by: SimonV ()
Date: November 25, 2008 19:12

I wonder has anyone ever played a Vox Teardrop guitar and how are they?

Simon
myspace.com/koningsimon

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: November 25, 2008 20:07

Interesting link regarding Vox guitars with photos, history, etc...
If it's been posted before, sorry.

[www.voxguitar.net]

Posted by: CharliMoon ()
Date: November 25, 2008 20:31

Wow, I just feel totally in love with the ES-330!!! What a beautiful guitar! Pfew!

Re: Brian's guitars - Vox Guitar Organ
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: December 9, 2008 19:04

The Vox Guitar Organ was expected to revolutionize music. It did not.
Wikipedia explains,
"In 1966, Vox introduced the revolutionary but problematic Guitar Organ, a Phantom VI guitar with internal organ electronics.
John Lennon was given one in a bid to secure an endorsement, though this never panned out.
According to Up-Tight: the Velvet Underground Story, Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones also tried one; when asked by the Velvets if it "worked", his answer was negative."

[blog.wfmu.org]

winking smiley

Date: June 11, 2009 16:07

Q: could it be possible that Brian once owned this 1954 Blackguard Telecaster?
(which I doubt)
availlable information is rather sparse, unfortunately.

a guitar dealer from Israel bought this guitar in London in '1979 from a guy called Phil..... who claimed it once belonged to Brian Jones.

anyone?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 11, 2009 19:39

I've never seen a pic or footage of Brian playing such a guitar, but you never know.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 11, 2009 23:03

open-g
Q: could it be possible that Brian once owned this 1954 Blackguard Telecaster?
(which I doubt)
availlable information is rather sparse, unfortunately.

a guitar dealer from Israel bought this guitar in London in '1979 from a guy called Phil..... who claimed it once belonged to Brian Jones.

anyone?

Of course everything is possible, but it does not seem very likely. Until the early 70's blackguards really weren't collectable at all (in fact you could buy a bunch for $50 a piece in '69), and Jones is not known to be a guitar connaisseur. Jones seem to prefer new instruments, and mainly choose them for looks and not for sound or playability. Even Keith wasn't much of a guitar buyer until '69, basically using just one guitar since '66.

The only two Tele's I ever seen Brian play is the Tele he used for Rooster, and the light blue Tele during the Satanic sessions.

Mathijs

Date: June 12, 2009 02:35

Thanks Gents - just what I was thinking.

am I right with:
The rosewood neck Tele and the light blue, maple neck Tele were the only Tele's in the Stones camp prior '72

Date: June 12, 2009 09:34

I reckon that guitar is more blond than light/sonic blue, although I thought it was sonic blue for awhile.

For example, there are various pics from the JJF video session, in a magazine it looks sonic blue, but in better presented photo of Brian it looks blond.

Those dark marks are on the photo, not the guitar.

Mick and Keith are shown playing a thinline tele backstage during the 69 tour and also Mick Taylor has a 67 - 69 white telecaster(bigger writing on headstock) for the Ed Sullivan show and later late 69 UK gig(s).

Date: June 12, 2009 14:30

His Majesty
I reckon that guitar is more blond than light/sonic blue, although I thought it was sonic blue for awhile.

For example, there are various pics from the JJF video session, in a magazine it looks sonic blue, but in better presented photo of Brian it looks blond.

Those dark marks are on the photo, not the guitar.

Mick and Keith are shown playing a thinline tele backstage during the 69 tour and also Mick Taylor has a 67 - 69 white telecaster(bigger writing on headstock) for the Ed Sullivan show and later late 69 UK gig(s).

I am fairly sure the latter Tele is sonic blue or anything of that colour, and not blond. There's some clear pictures in the Mankowitz book. Also, blonde wasn't a colour anymore in '66 and '67 (this Tele looks like a transition logo-ed '66), it was either white or sonic/pelham blue.

The thinline i '69 was owned by Ike Turner, he used that one on stage in '69 and '70, together with his Strat.

The Taylor Tele on the UK '69 show: didn't that one had a Strat neck, just as Clapton had during the Blind Faith?

Mathijs

Date: June 12, 2009 16:48

There's a clear shot right above these two posts too Mathijs and it certainly don't look sonic blue in that one.

Blonde, olympic white hard to tell via photos. There are plenty of blonde 1965/66 telecasters out there though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-12 16:53 by His Majesty.

Date: June 14, 2009 00:51

His Majesty
There's a clear shot right above these two posts too Mathijs and it certainly don't look sonic blue in that one.

Blonde, olympic white hard to tell via photos. There are plenty of blonde 1965/66 telecasters out there though.

It must be me, but all I see in the shots above is a sonic blue Tele. The shot of Keith in '67: that's sonic blue, not blond. Combined with the Mankowitz pictures and the We Love You video it is clear this Tele is sonic blue and certainly not blond.

Mathijs

Date: June 14, 2009 11:21

Mathijs
It must be me, but all I see in the shots above is a sonic blue Tele. The shot of Keith in '67: that's sonic blue, not blond. Combined with the Mankowitz pictures and the We Love You video it is clear this Tele is sonic blue and certainly not blond.

Mathijs

The guitar Brian is holding looks sonic blue to you? Note it looks sonic blue in one pic, but not in the better presented one. Manual colourization!?

The guitar looks a different colour depending on brightness, contrast etc. Some pics from the 2000 video it looks white, others sonic blue.

confused smiley

Date: June 14, 2009 14:25

His Majesty

The guitar Brian is holding looks sonic blue to you? Note it looks sonic blue in one pic, but not in the better presented one. Manual colourization!?

The guitar looks a different colour depending on brightness, contrast etc. Some pics from the 2000 video it looks white, others sonic blue.

The thing is: a sonic blue guitar can appear grey and whitish under bright lighting but a (Olympic) white guitar will never look grayish or a pale blue. In all pics except Brian’s I see a sonic blue guitar, and the Brian pics has a grey looking guitar –if it was Olympic White it would have stuck out much more with the black leather jacket behind it.

Concerning the blond color in the mid 60’s: what I meant is that an original blond over ash (with the grain showing) telecaster is exceedingly rare. About all mid-60’s Tele’s were either white over alder or blond over alder, where blond was white with a dash of yellow, making the guitar appear very vanilla in color, not the true ‘50’s blond. But even these are rare, about 80% of all mid-60’s Tele’s being sold as blond are actually white with a yellowed clear nitrocellulose top lacquer.

Ps Brian’s Tele must be a ’66 by the transition logo.

Mathijs

Date: June 14, 2009 15:00

Mathijs

The thing is: a sonic blue guitar can appear grey and whitish under bright lighting but a (Olympic) white guitar will never look grayish or a pale blue. In all pics except Brian’s I see a sonic blue guitar, and the Brian pics has a grey looking guitar –if it was Olympic White it would have stuck out much more with the black leather jacket behind it.

That depends on so many things, these pics for example show how Olympic White can indeed look sonic blue:

It doesn't matter that it's a respray/relic etc.

[www.electric-guitar-review.com]

The pic of Brian with the guitar makes me believe it was some kind of white though. The photo is kinda grimey, but if it were sonic blue for sure it would show it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-14 15:16 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: June 14, 2009 15:29

Date: June 14, 2009 16:10

His Majesty
Mathijs

That depends on so many things, these pics for example show how Olympic White can indeed look sonic blue:

It doesn't matter that it's a respray/relic etc.

[www.electric-guitar-review.com]

The pic of Brian with the guitar makes me believe it was some kind of white though. The photo is kinda grimey, but if it were sonic blue for sure it would show it.

If I am really honest, the Tele from the Baja project looks olympic white to me in all pictures, even though it is a somewhat less shiny olympic white due to the ash color of the body and the lack of proper undercoats.

Mathijs

Date: June 14, 2009 16:10

Britney

Well, that's sonic blue to me.

Mathijs

Date: June 14, 2009 16:46

terraplane
Palace Revolution 2000
Is there not a shot (that I've seen somewhere) of both Keith and Brian with a Firebird?

They both had Firebirds. Brian's was a Firebird VII. Keith plays a Firebird III (?) in the IORR promo clip.

Wish I could post pics...
Isn't Keith playing a reverse Firebird in the IORR video? In other words not the one he was seen with early on in his career. There is a shot of what looks to be 65/66 of the band on stage; both Brian and Keith with Firebirds.

Date: June 14, 2009 16:54

Mathijs

If I am really honest, the Tele from the Baja project looks olympic white to me in all pictures, even though it is a somewhat less shiny olympic white due to the ash color of the body and the lack of proper undercoats.

Mathijs

ok, knowing the colour beforehand helps. thumbs up

The guitar Mick has looks Olympic White in this print. The guitar could be either Olympic White or Sonic Blue. The Brian pic suggests the one he is holding is Olympic White. Both colours can look similar to one another depending on lighting, printing etc etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-14 17:36 by His Majesty.

Date: June 14, 2009 18:24

His Majesty
ok, knowing the colour beforehand helps. thumbs up

The guitar Mick has looks Olympic White in this print. The guitar could be either Olympic White or Sonic Blue. The Brian pic suggests the one he is holding is Olympic White. Both colours can look similar to one another depending on lighting, printing etc etc.

I agree, here it looks white. If you look closely the pickguard looks too bright, but o.k.

Still, I stand by my opinion that when I guitar is actually olympic white it will never appear pale or sonic blue in pictures. There's a gazilion pics of Hendrix with his white strat, and I never have seen him suddenly play a sonic blue Strat!

Mathijs

Date: June 14, 2009 18:38

Mathijs

Still, I stand by my opinion that when I guitar is actually olympic white it will never appear pale or sonic blue in pictures. There's a gazilion pics of Hendrix with his white strat, and I never have seen him suddenly play a sonic blue Strat!

Mathijs

At the same time, where is there a pic of a sonic blue tele that looks like the guitar Brian is holding? There is no hint of sonic blue in that pic.

Date: June 14, 2009 18:44

His Majesty
Mathijs

Mathijs

At the same time, where is there a pic of a sonic blue tele that looks like the guitar Brian is holding? There is no hint of sonic blue in that pic.

I don't have any more pics of Brian with this Tele. Can you see it in the color vid of JJF?

By the way, with the danger of being really anorak -the Tele in your picture with Mick becomes blue-ish when I put my laptop screen in different angles! Now how's that....

Mathijs

Date: June 14, 2009 18:53

Mathijs

By the way, with the danger of being really anorak -the Tele in your picture with Mick becomes blue-ish when I put my laptop screen in different angles! Now how's that....

Mathijs

Do the same with the Brian pic.

That's proof that our screens have a large impact on how we see these pics, which merely heightens what I'm saying about not being able to get a true idea of what this bloody guitar really looks like. grinning smiley

These pics of Mic's shirt tell us not too be too trusting of the colours presented to us in magazines etc.

Brian's could possibly be a different guitar, if so I would then agree that the Mick/Keith tele is sonic blue and Brian's is some kinda white.

If it's one and the same guitar it's the Brian pic that is taking me away from thinking it's sonic blue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-14 21:21 by His Majesty.

Date: June 14, 2009 22:23

I am sure Mick's shirt is sonic blue!

Mathijs

Date: June 14, 2009 22:37

Mathijs
I am sure Mick's shirt is sonic blue!

Mathijs

I agree! grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 6 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1826
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home