Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10
Re: Brian's guitars
Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: June 15, 2009 15:16

Rockman
Yeah well about these ....anybody know their sitar makes & models ????
Probably a cheap model like the one George Harrison used on Norweigan Wood. George bought his first sitar at a store in London called "India Craft" and this was also the first sitar that Brian tried to play. Maybe he bought his own at the same store the next day?

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 25, 2009 16:56

His Majesty, are you following this thread?
[www.tdpri.com]
worth the admission anyway ;-)

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 26, 2009 15:44

Majesty, check out the pictures of the Satanic sessions on the new Mankowitz book "Out Of Their Heads", there's several clear pictures of the Telecaster. It appears to me like all colouring is right -white shirts and white piano keys are white, sunburst is sunburst etc, and in these pics the Telecaster is unmistakingly Sonic Blue.

Mathijs

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 26, 2009 16:14

I guess that means the guitar Brian is shown using for the JJF promo is a different tele then.

Date: July 26, 2009 18:16

In this thread there are shots of Brian playing electric 12 string on stage. What songs did he play this on?

Date: July 26, 2009 19:42

Palace Revolution 2000
In this thread there are shots of Brian playing electric 12 string on stage. What songs did he play this on?

It's All Over Now = Vox 12 string

Mother's Little Helper, Get Off of My Cloud = Rickenbacker

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-26 20:11 by His Majesty.

Date: July 26, 2009 19:46

His Majesty
I guess that means the guitar Brian is shown using for the JJF promo is a different tele then.

You're serious?

Mathijs

Date: July 26, 2009 19:49

Mathijs

You're serious?

Mathijs

Er, yes!?

The photo of Brian is obviously not a sonic blue guitar.

Date: July 26, 2009 19:54

So in that 1st shot they would be playing that song. I just never had heard a 12 string in the cut. Brian is on a C chord there and "Cloud" doesn't make sense.

And so Brian played the lead line on "Mother's Little Helper" later on in live shows?

Date: July 26, 2009 19:56

His Majesty
Mathijs

You're serious?

Mathijs

Er, yes!?

The photo of Brian is obviously not a sonic blue guitar.

We have many pictures where it's sonic blue, some pictures where it's undefined grayish, then we have the new pictures in the new Mankowitz book which clearly shows it is sonic blue, and now suddenly there's two transition logo '66 maple necked Fender telecasters? I find that very hard to believe.

Mathijs

Date: July 26, 2009 20:00

Palace Revolution 2000
So in that 1st shot they would be playing that song. I just never had heard a 12 string in the cut. Brian is on a C chord there and "Cloud" doesn't make sense.

And so Brian played the lead line on "Mother's Little Helper" later on in live shows?

Yup, there's definitely a 12 string on IAON. I didn't spot it either until Bill or someone mentioned it. But once you know to listen for it, it jumps out to my ears.

Brian used the rickenbacker 360 for both GOOMC and MLH during the final 66 USA tour and yup, he used a slide for the distinctive sitar like lick. Keith claims to have played that on the studio version though, something I'm a bit dubious about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-26 20:06 by His Majesty.

Date: July 26, 2009 20:04

Mathijs

We have many pictures where it's sonic blue, some pictures where it's undefined grayish, then we have the new pictures in the new Mankowitz book which clearly shows it is sonic blue, and now suddenly there's two transition logo '66 maple necked Fender telecasters? I find that very hard to believe.

Mathijs

Maybe both Brian and Keith were given a tele each!? They did get 2 reverse firebirds.

Date: July 26, 2009 20:17

I can not believe I had never thought about this whole subject. Went and listened to a bunch of early 60's live recordings; also the TV shows that were live - anyway sounds like Brian used that sound quite a bit on their soul numbers. When he would do the straight picking on the chords. Songs like "If you need me", "Cry to Me", "That's how strong my love is", "Play with Fire". I wonder if he even used it some on "Time is on my side"; haven't gotten to that one yet.

Date: July 26, 2009 20:21

Palace Revolution 2000
I can not believe I had never thought about this whole subject. Went and listened to a bunch of early 60's live recordings; also the TV shows that were live - anyway sounds like Brian used that sound quite a bit on their soul numbers. When he would do the straight picking on the chords. Songs like "If you need me", "Cry to Me", "That's how strong my love is", "Play with Fire". I wonder if he even used it some on "Time is on my side"; haven't gotten to that one yet.

Hmm, I don't hear it on that many tracks, plus a couple of the tracks you mention he doesn't play guitar on.

Date: July 26, 2009 21:13

His Majesty
Palace Revolution 2000

Hmm, I don't hear it on that many tracks, plus a couple of the tracks you mention he doesn't play guitar on.
True; though keep in mind I am listening to live versions, and I am beginning to think that Brian did not stick to one specific instrument for a song. Looks like he really did experiment a good bit even in live setting. I was listening to a show called Top gear from (I think) 65 and then a 66 Australian and New Zealand tour. definitely that guitar on "Need Me" and "Cry To Me". On "THSMLI" - is that him playing organ?
But "Play with Fire" is actually the most intriguing. Do you think he ever played percussion on stage? Or one of the more exotic reed instruments? The sound quality is so bad; there is only one guitar, and there COULD be extra pounding, there could be some sustained note back there too.

Date: July 26, 2009 21:18

Yup he played organ on THSMLI.

I'm not aware of him playing any instruments live other than, guitar, electric dulcimer, organ, harmonica and recorder.

There are pics of him playing tambourine.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: July 27, 2009 00:25

His Majesty

I'm not aware of him playing any instruments live other than, guitar, electric dulcimer, organ, harmonica and recorder.

I think Brian played tambourine (as well as guitar/harmonica and singing!) on that great 1964 NME Poll Show!!

Didn´t he ever play sitar on Paint It Black live?

Date: July 27, 2009 02:09

His Majesty

Yeah, I only meant that he might have been experimenting with different guitars from show to show. IMO Brian's guitar playing is not that well documented; he is often low in the volume.

Date: July 27, 2009 08:57

rootsman

Never seen or heard anything which supports that.

Date: July 27, 2009 16:15

rootsman
No, not even when he actually is seen playing the sitar. Always playback or singback. sad smiley
When they performed the song on Sullivan the sitar was in such shape that he wouldn't be able to play it anyway. The bridge was way misplaced.

Palace Revolution 2000
IMO Brian's guitar playing is not that well documented; he is often low in the volume.
Or worse - like in the R&R Circus for example where is not heard in the mix at all (at least not in the official version).

Posted by: StonesBlake ()
Date: July 27, 2009 21:57

I'm not a guitar expert, but I love this thread.

Question: How many of Brian's guitars are still floating around? It seems to me they have all vanished or just been lost. I've heard stories of Keith having several.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: July 27, 2009 22:53

His Majesty
Brian used the rickenbacker 360 for both GOOMC and MLH during the final 66 USA tour and yup, he used a slide for the distinctive sitar like lick. Keith claims to have played that on the studio version though, something I'm a bit dubious about.

Oh c'mon! How can you doubt Keith? Just kidding. I've long suspected that the 'oriental' lead on the studio version of MLH was Brian on sitar. Most people thought it was Brian until Keith claimed in 2003 that it was in fact him playing the lick via 'beat-up' 12-string on slide. It don't sound like a slide guitar to me.

Date: July 27, 2009 23:18

neptune

Oh c'mon! How can you doubt Keith? Just kidding. I've long suspected that the 'oriental' lead on the studio version of MLH was Brian on sitar. Most people thought it was Brian until Keith claimed in 2003 that it was in fact him playing the lick via 'beat-up' 12-string on slide. It don't sound like a slide guitar to me.

I thought it was a sitar for years, until I read Keith's comment and had a close listen. Also compared it to Brian playing it live... exact same sound!

There's no sitar on there, tis definitely a 12 string with a slide. I reckon Keith was mis remembering a tad though with regards to who actually played it. winking smiley

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 27, 2009 23:26

neptune
His Majesty

No, it's not a sitar. I have a sitar and it doesn't sound like that.
Nor is it an electric sitar (those came out a few years later).
It's a 12-string played with slide. Definitely a 12-string.
Listen to the middle section (Doctor, please...).
The 12-string plays some little licks in this section.
However, are Brian and Keith both playing acoustic on this?
And I wonder who does that volume swell in the intro?

Date: July 28, 2009 00:00

Good question about those swells. To me there would be no doubt that it is some guitar doing those swells in the intro; except for the fact that in the same channel throughout the song there is a faint pedal tone; a kind of drone that goes on. Almost like the swell kind of settles into the drone.

Date: July 28, 2009 16:17

Palace Revolution 2000
Almost like the swell kind of settles into the drone.

I think that might be the air conditioning in the studio and/or the hum of amps etc.

grinning smiley

Date: July 28, 2009 18:31

His Majesty
I thought it was a sitar for years, until I read Keith's comment and had a close listen. Also compared it to Brian playing it live... exact same sound!

There's no sitar on there, tis definitely a 12 string with a slide. I reckon Keith was mis remembering a tad though with regards to who actually played it. winking smiley
It's pretty funny that Brian has been credited several times for playing the sitar on Mother's Little Helper, Cool, Calm, Collected and Gomper. smiling smiley But I guess most people don't really know what a sitar sounds like. I also fell for it and still remember when I tried the get that sound out of my sitar only to fail totally. sad smiley

I've never believed that it's anybody but Brian who played the eastern-riff on MLH. It seems like Keith tried to pull a McCartney with that statement.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-28 18:35 by tonterapi.

Date: July 28, 2009 20:02

tonterapi
Cool, Calm, Collected and Gomper. smiling smiley

He played his electric dulcimer on those. thumbs up

Date: July 28, 2009 22:01

His Majesty
He played his electric dulcimer on those. thumbs up
Yes, I know. But still many sources about the Stones says "sitar". smiling smiley It probably indicates the lack of notes from the actual recording sessions.

Date: July 28, 2009 22:08

His Majesty
neptune

I never thought it was a sitar but a 12-string with reverb delay effects until I read Keith's quote. But I always thought it was Brian who played it, and not Keith, it just doesn't like Keith at all.

Mathijs

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1762
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home