Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10
Re: Brian's guitars
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 28, 2009 22:23

StonesBlake
I'm not a guitar expert, but I love this thread.

Question: How many of Brian's guitars are still floating around? It seems to me they have all vanished or just been lost. I've heard stories of Keith having several.

There's three I can think off: The Vox MKVI (Teardrop), which is now owned by Hard Rock Cafe, the '68 Gibson Les Paul Gold Top hanging in the Sticky Fingers Cafe, and the Harmony Stratotone that has been auctioned.

The Vox MKVI is most likely Brian's. It was a demo model, and there's various marks showing it is identical to Brian's. Still, there is no rock solid evidence. Same with the Gold Top: we got to believe Wyman. The Stratotone does not have any documentation at all, no pictures with markers that proof anything, and as so many were made this one good be basically anybody's Stratotone.

There's a story that Ron Wood has Brian's Mando Guitar, and in a guitar magazine someone was quoted that his Vox Bijou (Dulcimer) once "was Brian Jones's Bijou, used on Let it Bleed". For what it's worth.

Mathijs

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: July 28, 2009 23:16

Mathijs
There's a story that Ron Wood has Brian's Mando Guitar, and in a guitar magazine someone was quoted that his Vox Bijou (Dulcimer) once "was Brian Jones's Bijou, used on Let it Bleed". For what it's worth.

Mathijs
"Used on Let it Bleed"... a well... eye rolling smiley

I've heard that one of Brian's Bijou dulcimers is supposed to be exhibited in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland Ohio. One of his dulcimers got stolen so it might be that one.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-28 23:17 by tonterapi.

Date: July 29, 2009 00:33

tonterapi
Mathijs

Mathijs
"Used on Let it Bleed"... a well... eye rolling smiley

I've heard that one of Brian's Bijou dulcimers is supposed to be exhibited in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland Ohio. One of his dulcimers got stolen so it might be that one.

I would be surprised if Jones/Stones had two Bijou's, they only made a very few.

Mathijs

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: July 29, 2009 00:51

Mathijs: No, only one at a time. winking smiley This is the story I've read. AFAIK they made the Bijou especially on Brian's request so if one got stolen it wouldn't be unlikely that they made him another one.

[www.voxguitar.net]

This guy also played a Vox Bijou. I asked him if it had belonged to Brian but no. [www.vinyl.tree.nom.br]

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: July 29, 2009 04:27

Mathijs
I never thought it was a sitar but a 12-string with reverb delay effects until I read Keith's quote. But I always thought it was Brian who played it, and not Keith, it just doesn't like Keith at all.

The way Keith tells the story, describing the 12-string guitar as "a gashed-up job" and "God knows where it came from or where it went" leads me to believe Keith actually isn't lying or misremebering here. It's a simple enough part for Keith to have played. It does sound like a Brian part but why would Keith go through all the trouble of telling this story if he wasn't in fact telling the truth?

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 29, 2009 09:45

neptune
Mathijs
I never thought it was a sitar but a 12-string with reverb delay effects until I read Keith's quote. But I always thought it was Brian who played it, and not Keith, it just doesn't like Keith at all.

The way Keith tells the story, describing the 12-string guitar as "a gashed-up job" and "God knows where it came from or where it went" leads me to believe Keith actually isn't lying or misremebering here. It's a simple enough part for Keith to have played. It does sound like a Brian part but why would Keith go through all the trouble of telling this story if he wasn't in fact telling the truth?

Well, memories get tarnished over time and Keith is no exception.
I've only seen two 12-string electrics associated with the Stones around this time, both Brian's: the Vox and the Rickenbacker.
In Barbara Charone's book on page 100 there's a photo of the Aftermath sessions
of Brian and Keith playing acoustic with a Rick 12 close at hand.
And Brian was the slide guitar player in the band.
Also the exotic sounds at that time (1966-67) seem to be Brian's:
dulcimer, sitar, marimba...so a Middle Eastern-sounding guitar is not far off
off what he was trying to do.
Speaking of Brian's 12-string Rickenbacker, is that another guitar of his
that went missing?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 29, 2009 16:52

A Beat Instrumental from 1966 has a small article about Brian's first Bijou being stolen during a us tour in 66. Another one had to be made quick time and shipped out to them from the UK.

I need to get down to some serious scanning, I've got a load of interesting articles and pics to post!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-29 16:57 by His Majesty.

Date: July 29, 2009 22:26

His Majesty
A Beat Instrumental from 1966 has a small article about Brian's first Bijou being stolen during a us tour in 66. Another one had to be made quick time and shipped out to them from the UK.

I need to get down to some serious scanning, I've got a load of interesting articles and pics to post!

So there where two. Any idea how many were made in total?

Mathijs

Date: July 29, 2009 23:44

For what it's worth, here's a brief snippet from a book regarding Brian's dulcimers.

[books.google.com]

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: July 30, 2009 11:37

tomk
that went missing?

I read an interview in which Mick Taylor mentioned some of guitars stolen from Nellcote. He said one was a Rickenbacker (not sure if he said a 12 string). I seem to recall him saying it had gold hardware. Maybe Brian's Ricky?

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: July 30, 2009 13:40

terraplane
tomk
that went missing?

I read an interview in which Mick Taylor mentioned some of guitars stolen from Nellcote. He said one was a Rickenbacker (not sure if he said a 12 string). I seem to recall him saying it had gold hardware. Maybe Brian's Ricky?

You know, it would be nice for someone in the Stones' camp to shed some light on some of these guitars. Keith? Mick? What about Brian's Firebird, the one played on Ed Sullivan? That's almost as iconic as the Vox teardrop in a way. One would think Keith for sure would know. C'mon Keith, talk! While you're at it, tell us if that was really you playing the slide on MLH . . .

Date: July 30, 2009 16:55

Another Beat Instrumental article mentions a rickenbacker being stolen, Brian and Keith paid half each for a replacement. thumbs up

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 30, 2009 17:34

>> In Barbara Charone's book on page 100 there's a photo of the Aftermath sessions
of Brian and Keith playing acoustic with a Rick 12 close at hand. <<

et voila

- 1966, by Stu

Date: July 30, 2009 17:43

and while i'm here ... that would be the Bijou dulcimer in the mirror, yes?

- backstage at the Sullivan show, september 11th 1966, by Bob Bonis

Date: July 30, 2009 17:44

Is that definitely from the Aftermath sessions?

Could it be from the RCA sessions that produced Have You Seen Your Mother, Who's Driving Your Plane etc?

Date: July 30, 2009 17:49

>> Is that definitely from the Aftermath sessions? <<

i don't know, HM - i just post the photos :E
i've got it filed under 1966, without any theories about finetuning the date

Date: July 30, 2009 17:55

with sssoul
and while i'm here ... that would be the Bijou dulcimer in the mirror, yes?

- backstage at the Sullivan show, september 11th 1966, by Bob Bonis

Yes it is!

That pic brings up an interesting thing. To those that are interested hah!

The bijou shown earlier in 66 appears to have a different control panel to the one shown above. But, the Bijou he used during the 66 UK tour and 67 EU tour had a different panel and knobs to the one shown above too.

Unless the one shown at the sullivan show with the white control panel was modified once they returned to the uk, pics seem to suggest he had 3 Vox Bijou/electric dulcimers.

Apparently only about 7 were made in total! eye popping smiley

EDIT: It's possible that the one used earlier in 66 looks the same as the sullivan one, but the report of a bijou being stolen and replaced is before september 66. So the suggestion is still there that he had 3 of em.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-30 18:37 by His Majesty.

Date: July 30, 2009 19:17

Regarding the link I posted above:
I get the impression that Vox fitted his acoustic dulcimer with a pickup
for live gigs, and then got in on the act by making the Bijou line.
I believe they even did some adverts for them.
However, I guess it was short-lived idea.

Date: July 30, 2009 19:51

I had a go at replicating the sound of an electric dulcimer by stringing up a guitar and tuning it the same as the bijou.

The backing is from the satanic sessions box set(12 string guitar, bass and tablas & drums), vocals, mock bijou and recorder by yours truly.

[s51.photobucket.com]

Interestingly Brian is pictured with an acoustic dulcimer(no sign of a pickup or electronics) circa late 66/early 67 at Courtfield Road. I wonder if this is the same one used on Lady Jane and I am Waiting.

Date: July 30, 2009 20:13

His Majesty

I had a go at replicating the sound of an electric dulcimer by stringing up a guitar and tuning it the same as the bijou.

The backing is from the satanic sessions box set(12 string guitar, bass and tablas & drums), vocals, mock bijou and recorder by yours truly.

[s51.photobucket.com]

Interestingly Brian is pictured with an acoustic dulcimer(no sign of a pickup or electronics) circa late 66/early 67 at Courtfield Road. I wonder if this is the same one used on Lady Jane and I am Waiting.

Hey, that sounds good. Good job. Nice Vox ad, too.
I remember my Vox Beatle had the tune E. And that Gyrovox looks interesting, too.

Is there a good front view of the Bijou?
I can see the volume/tone controls, but I'd like to get a good look at the pickup used. I assume it was placed near the controls.

Date: July 30, 2009 20:21

Here you go...

thumbs up

Date: July 30, 2009 20:31

>> The backing is from the satanic sessions box set (12 string guitar, bass and tablas & drums),
vocals, mock bijou and recorder by yours truly. <<

way cool, HM! it sounds like it was a real trip to do
and i believe not a lot of people have covered Gomper :E really well done

Date: July 30, 2009 20:34

with sssoul

way cool, HM! it sounds like it was a real trip to do
and i believe not a lot of people have covered Gomper :E really well done

Thanks!

It's got a bit of a bad reputation, but I love Gomper! grinning smiley

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 30, 2009 21:06

Yeah, nice one, HM! sounds great.

what is the "novel" tuning on the bijou?

Date: July 30, 2009 21:10

open-g

Same as any other 4 string dulcimer!? grinning smiley

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 30, 2009 21:29

His Majesty
open-g

Same as any other 4 string dulcimer!? grinning smiley

Ionian, Mixolydian, Dorian or Aeolian? confused smiley

Date: July 30, 2009 21:55

open-g

Ionian, Mixolydian, Dorian or Aeolian? confused smiley

Erm, 3 D's and an A. grinning smiley

Date: July 30, 2009 22:54

His Majesty
Apparently only about 7 were made in total! eye popping smiley

Only 7?? Oh man...I had the opportunity the buy an original '60's one at a guitar fair in 2000 or 2001. It was 1000 Dutch Guilders (450 euro), which I thought was way too much...

Mathijs

Date: July 30, 2009 23:10

Just checked my messages, twas 6! I kinda doubt that, but who knows!?

Here's a copy of the message I got about them.

''Philip,

Best estimates were that JMI made no more than 6. Really. I know the whereabouts of two for sure and they never go on sale to the public. These days , you'd expect to pay a minimum of $5K upward to $12K if you found one.

Bottom line...wait til VOX (or Phantom)makes a few reissues.''

Looking at them, all you'd need to do is source an old vox pickup and basic electronics, cut out some wood on an acoustic dulcimer and make up a plastic? enclosure for the electronics and fit it...

voila, a sort of Authentic Vox Bijou.

Would be cool to have an original, but screw paying those kinda prices!

Date: July 30, 2009 23:21

His Majesty
Just checked my messages, twas 6! I kinda doubt that, but who knows!?

Here's a copy of the message I got about them.

''Philip,

Best estimates were that JMI made no more than 6. Really. I know the whereabouts of two for sure and they never go on sale to the public. These days , you'd expect to pay a minimum of $5K upward to $12K if you found one.

Bottom line...wait til VOX (or Phantom)makes a few reissues.''

Looking at them, all you'd need to do is source an old vox pickup and basic electronics, cut out some wood on an acoustic dulcimer and make up a plastic? enclosure for the electronics and fit it...

voila, a sort of Authentic Vox Bijou.

Would be cool to have an original, but screw paying those kinda prices!

It's all a bit unreal. When we had this discussion about who played what on Satanic about a year ago, I googled for info on the Bijou. I came upon an add from the UK with a guy selling a vintage '60's one for (if I remember correctly) 500 UK Pounds. I emailed him, and he said he just sold it.

By the way, there's quite some luthiers building copy's of the Vox Bijou.

Mathijs

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1690
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home