Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112
Current Page: 12 of 12
Re: some Telecaster questions ...
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 31, 2015 20:41

crumbling_mice
Blimey, is that Keith's rain stick on the table?

Yes, and there's even a thread about it: /[www.iorr.org]
This thread's trying to be about the guitar. Thanks! :E

Posted by: JustinCaseBandDK ()
Date: February 20, 2016 23:57

JustinCaseBandDK
Someone can tell me more about this Tele:

Looks like the one he's using for Not Fade Away, Washington 1994. It seems to be out of tune, so he changes to Gibson LP midway in the opening number:
[www.youtube.com]

Big T

Date: February 21, 2016 14:26

That there's the rosewood Telecaster he used in '81/'82. You can read a bit about it here: [www.iorr.org]
or on page three of this very thread: [www.iorr.org]
(You asked pretty much the same question there - you do like that guitar don't you?! Me too :E)

Ahem! If I'm following things properly it's a subsequent incarnation of this (mahogany-body?) Newman-Jones job
(and I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong! ):

Then for some reason the neck was fitted to that beautiful but way heavy rosewood body early in the '81 tour.
So the whole story really belongs in the Keith's Custom Guitars thread.

Meanwhile, that 1994 footage you've posted is very odd indeed - I wonder what happened??
And if that really was the rosewood Telecaster ... that would be something! eye popping smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-21 15:08 by with sssoul.

Date: February 21, 2016 15:44

Okay so these are the screenshots I managed from that clip -
if someone has better shots from before the switch please post them!
Because [peering hard] that really does look like the rosewood Tele - but WHY?!

The switch to the sunburst Junior 58 seconds into the clip:

All from RFK Stadium, AUgust 1st 1994

Date: February 21, 2016 16:50

Hm, I see the "what's this Tele" question has been raised before - our good open-g posted this photo:

- 1994 courtesy of open-g (don't know who took it, sorry!)

Date: February 21, 2016 16:53

with sssoul
That there's the rosewood Telecaster he used in '81/'82

To me, it seems to have the same black colour as his 72' Custom Telecaster. I'm still looking for "the smoking gun", because I'm pretty sure the Tele his playing on the pic from 1982 is NOT the rosewood telecaster, it's way to dark when it's seen in daylight. The body and pickguard got the exact same shade of black. The rosewod Tele should appear to more brownish?

Here's he using the rosewood Tele for LSTNT, you can easily see the difference between body and pickguard:
[www.youtube.com]

Big T

Date: February 21, 2016 18:33

It looks almost black in the Checkerboard Lounge footage too, though -
I really think it's a question of the lighting/reflections.
The black custom Tele looks downright silvery sometimes for the same reason.

Date: February 21, 2016 18:49

Then there's this Mystery Telecaster - could that be the one from the Washington footage

- 1994 by Sante d'Orazio (courtesy of KR.com)

Date: February 21, 2016 20:00

with sssoul
Then there's this Mystery Telecaster - could that be the one from the Washington footage

- 1994 by Sante d'Orazio (courtesy of KR.com)

Certainly not, as that guitar on the VL-pic got a maple neck.

Big T

Date: February 21, 2016 20:29

Of course - sorry for being ridiculous :E

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: February 21, 2016 21:02

That maple black Tele looks like an 70's guitar refitted with an humbucker. I had the same guitar as a very early Squire quick I converted. Keith borrowed it for a surprise session but rejected it after a couple of hours and had his white Tele delivered. From then on he kept ordering his gear one piece at a time till we were cranking Mesa Boogies at midnight. He signed my Marshall that night, it was a hell of a week in.my life.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 21, 2016 21:16

I know they're good for swinging at people but not actually hitting them...

Date: February 21, 2016 23:32

with sssoul

The black Tele Keith was using for Not Fade Away on the first leg of the Voodoo Lounge Tour have a very special bridge and what looks like two P90 pickups, so it's for certain not the same guitar as he played in 1981/82. If it's even a Fender, it must be from their Custom Shop. But if it's fitted with a pair of P90, it explains why he at least in Europe was playing a LP Junior for Not Fade Away.
The black Tele is easy to see here, from Miami:
[www.youtube.com]

Big T

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: February 21, 2016 23:40

The pups do look like p90s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-21 23:40 by MingSubu.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: February 22, 2016 00:30

JustinCaseBandDK
with sssoul

The black Tele Keith was using for Not Fade Away on the first leg of the Voodoo Lounge Tour have a very special bridge and what looks like two P90 pickups, so it's for certain not the same guitar as he played in 1981/82.thumbs up

If it's even a Fender, it must be from their Custom Shop. But if it's fitted with a pair of P90, it explains why he at least in Europe was playing a LP Junior for Not Fade Away.

The black Tele is easy to see here, from Miami:
[www.youtube.com]

That doesn't explain nothing!

Observation does.
the guitar can be seen on a few "Voodoo Lounge, Not Fade Away" openings.(darn VHS copies)
it has a black headstock, rosewood fretboard, standard black pickguard, a standard controlplate with one Volume, one Tone knob and a normal switch. Two P90 pickups and a short Fender bridge.

This proves excatly......................:
yep! he played a black Tele then and there.

Date: February 26, 2016 21:28

with sssoul

next is one that i think i've only seen in photos from the 78 tour:

- 1978, by Lynn Goldsmith

He played that one too in 1981, with a capo in 5th fret?

Big T

Date: February 26, 2016 21:55

The tour where Mick went left-handed? :E
It would be good to find an untampered-with version of that shot before deciding which guitar it is ...

Date: February 26, 2016 22:04

Mathijs
JustinCaseBandDK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Open-g> Yes that´s the guitar i referred to,tanx
> for da pics
>
> with sssoul> Is that pic from the JJ Flash-video
> with Aretha Franklin,I remember seeing Keith
> playing that Tele capoed in 2th fret in the clip?

That's correct.

>
> And what about the black Tele he´s playin´ in Not
> Fade Away in the US 1994?

That's not a Fender, but Tom Henderson Cobra.

Mathijs

I see that Mathijs has already said - way back on page 21 of this thread -
that the 1994 Not Fade Away guitar was a Henderson Cobra. Those are discussed
in our "Keith's Customs jobs and oddballs" thread, but: [www.andersonguitars.com]

I do enjoy going around in circles :E

Date: February 26, 2016 22:18

with sssoul
I see that Mathijs has already said - way back on page 21 of this thread -
that the 1994 Not Fade Away guitar was a Henderson Cobra

It's not a Cobra, but must be Drop Short T as it got the volume- and toneknobs almost the same as on a Fender Telecaster:
[www.andersonguitars.com]

The Anderson he's using for Slipping Away and Anybody Seen My Baby is a Cobra:

Big T

Date: February 27, 2016 13:30

with sssoul
The tour where Mick went left-handed? :E
It would be good to find an untampered-with version of that shot before deciding which guitar it is ...

Well, I found an untampered-with shot where Keith seems to have that same guitar:

- Sir Morgan's Cove September 14th-15th 1981 by Ron Pownall (courtesy of shortfatfanny)

So that would fit what Mathijs said a few pages ago, that the guitar was given a new body early in the '81 tour,
turning it into the famously heavy rosewood Tele

Date: February 27, 2016 19:58

JustinCaseBandDK
It's not a Cobra, but must be Drop Short T as it got the volume- and toneknobs almost the same as on a Fender Telecaster:
[www.andersonguitars.com]

I see that it's not a Drop T or a Mongrel, but can you explain why you've identified it
as a Drop Short T rather than a T Classic, a Drop T Classic or a Short T?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 7, 2016 13:51

Just to be sure -

The light mahagony bodied TELE with rosewood neck is a '68 Fender Rosewood Neck with a body made by Newman Jones. Keith used it on the 78 tour on Love in Vain, and in 1981 on Let's Spend and Waiting on a Friend. After the first couple of shows the guitar was send to Roger Giffin, then of Schecter guitars. A new Rosewood body was made, and new Schector electronics and hardware where added. Richards used this guitar for the remainder of the tour for Let's Spend and WOAF. The only time it is seen again is on the cover of the Talk is Cheap album.

The black Tele at the beginning of the VL tour is a Fender Custom Shop, P90's, rosewood board. I don't think he used it ever after.

For parts of the VL 94 and 95 tour he used a Tom Anderson Transparent Black Cobra, for Not Fade Away, Beast of Burden, Slipping Away, Monkey Man and probably more.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-07 14:23 by Mathijs.

Date: March 7, 2016 14:02

Thanks, Mathijs. But surely you mean light mahagony bodied tele and not, strat, right?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 3, 2018 14:19

Mathijs
Just to be sure -

The light mahagony bodied TELE with rosewood neck is a '68 Fender Rosewood Neck with a body made by Newman Jones. Keith used it on the 78 tour on Love in Vain, and in 1981 on Let's Spend and Waiting on a Friend. After the first couple of shows the guitar was send to Roger Giffin, then of Schecter guitars. A new Rosewood body was made, and new Schector electronics and hardware where added. Richards used this guitar for the remainder of the tour for Let's Spend and WOAF. The only time it is seen again is on the cover of the Talk is Cheap album.

Mathijs

We now learned that the pickups are not Schecter, but Seymour Duncan's.

Mathijs

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: April 3, 2018 16:12

Mathijs
Mathijs
Just to be sure -

Mathijs

Mathijs

I think he used the guitar in Leeds 1982 on Time Is On My Side and Beast Of Burden.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 3, 2018 18:22

Mathijs
Mathijs
Just to be sure -

Mathijs

Mathijs
pretty wild about ROGER GIFFIN , Who in 1992 put back together my early 70's Gibson Les Paul Custom when he was head of the Gibson West Coast Custom Shop in Los Angeles .Really good guy , who made me a very happy customer in regards to my childhood electric guitar that I had completely and utterly beat the living crap out of it and then some .To look at it today you would never even know the abuse that it took and still kept rocking all because "Only a GIBSON is good Enough" (actual GIBSON marketing slogan )

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112
Current Page: 12 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1850
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home