Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New "Live" Studio Album!
Posted by: uz2bstoned ()
Date: October 11, 2005 12:37

What I would like is them do is take a night off touring and head into the studio with the everyone on tour and play a setlist of warhorses as they do live now. This is not a sarcastic idea! Songs like Jumpin Jack flash, Midnight Rambler have "evolved" over the years and I would love a CD QUALITY recording of these modern versions of songs. I think this would make for a great album. I mean imagine a CD qualtiy recording of Paint it black or Sympaty for the Devil! That song in peticular has changed alot since 1967. Also it would give a chance for radio stations to play quality recordings of these songs for eternity!

I know someone will say why not just record a live album, but the studio has better acoustics you will never get on stage. I would especially love to hear the modern JJF(open G) put down in the studio. Now is the time as they appear in fine form as a band.

Brillant idea huh?

Re: New "Live" Studio Album!
Posted by: nmaillot ()
Date: October 11, 2005 12:58

JJF on Flashpoint can almost be considered as a studio version.
And it's great.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: October 11, 2005 13:24

I've been thinking about this for a long time.

Midnight Rambler, Jumping Jack Flash, Satisfaction, Brown Sugar, Paint It Black, and so on.

They have really evolved over the years and with modern recording technologies I think it would be a great idea to release an album like this.

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: October 11, 2005 13:27

Personally I think they have made enough versions of Sympathy over the last years. How many different mixes came out a couple of years ago? Huh.... Great song, of course, and they change it a little for every tour.

I would much rather have the boys continue to make new material and put out new studio albums than rerecording old greats.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: October 11, 2005 15:30

> I would much rather have the boys continue to make
> new material and put out new studio albums than
> rerecording old greats.

I agree. And why not premier new songs on stage and record a live album of new songs (instead a studio album of old songs)?

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: October 11, 2005 16:49

They did it in 94/95 which brought us some nice unplugged versions (together with the songs not being released officially) ...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 11, 2005 16:50

billwebster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree. And why not premier new songs on stage
> and record a live album of new songs (instead a
> studio album of old songs)?

correct. Neil Young has been doing that for years

and theyve already done the "old songs re-recorded in the studio" concept. It was called "Stripped".

The notion of playing old songs as they're arranged now in the studio is the most redundant idea I've ever heard

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: October 11, 2005 18:37

Sounds pretty boring to me. I think artists who re-record their greatest hits have really hit bottom and run out of ideas. Sure they did it with Stripped, but those songs were unplugged (or partially unplugged), and at least half of them weren't warhorses, so it's not really the same.

I'm happy with the original studio and countless live versions of the warhorses; I don't want new studio versions.

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: October 12, 2005 00:30

HI,
uz2bstoned,
get the bootleg of 7thjuly at wembley i think it was 1990 concerts
all the songs you have on the list are on this double bootleg,its from a
broadcast of the radio show and the recordin is v.v.good.good luck.kish

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: October 12, 2005 00:42

I agree that it is a brilliant idea. Doing them in the studio would be a lot better than a live recording. They should do them exactly as though they were performing on stage, and they must include Gimme Shelter with Lisa.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: October 12, 2005 01:07

XM Radio does this on a show called Then Again...Live.

An old band comes in and does one of their classic albums, in it's entirety, live in the studio. Usually it's kind of a novelty, like Alice Cooper or Cheap Trick, but The Allman Brothers "Eat A Peach" was phenominal!

It would be interesting to hear The Stones try that. I would think "Let It Bleed" might be their best bet since they have done most of those songs recently with their relatively "limited" lead guitarist.

Ross

Posted by: drake ()
Date: October 12, 2005 02:23

I have to say this is probably one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. The warhorses get way too much attention as is... Why on earth would I want to hear a rehash studio version of Start Me Up? Now, if you're talking about them going into the studio and doing a bunch of covers, I could dig that. The Stones doing Berry/Reed/etc... I could dig that. Or them doing a bunch of rarities in the studio, I could dig that, but warhorses simply dont need revision.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: October 12, 2005 02:38

i like the idea....it worked for the Kinks with "To the Bone"...live at their konk studios in front of a small crowd

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: October 12, 2005 04:11

Ross,,, ya no anywhere u can download or buy that eat a peach live in studio gig from xmsr or any1 else ,,,any info tanks

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: October 12, 2005 04:23

chippy Wrote:
> Ross,,, ya no anywhere u can download or buy that
> eat a peach live in studio gig from xmsr or any1
> else ,,,any info tanks

I will send it to ya! Its excellent!

Contact me at

rock_cd@hotmail.com

Posted by: Space ()
Date: October 12, 2005 06:33

They need to release a box set of studio outakes- its so hard to find the good some girls and emotional rescue outakes and they are so good! We had it all, spare parts, your angel steps out of heaven, fiji jim, un-cut miss you, i dont care- modern - the storm, etc..
If Mick wasd truelly such a business man, then he would realize the high demand for the true golden stuff and stop feeding us the same rehashed crap that is on the new rarities set- they didn't even include the semi-popular crackin' up!
Either that or start selling shows like pearl jam does, except go back into the past- '75 Garden, '73 Brussles, '71 Leeds, or '69 Oakland- The Greatful Dead make a pretty penny from the Dicks Picks series, why not the stones? Its a win-win!

Talkin bout the....

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 12, 2005 06:42

FYI, setting up properly for the kind of quality recording you're hoping for would require more than just an off day from the tour, even if the band eventually did all the tracks in one take. Getting sounds for the drums alone would take half the day.

And then listen to show from this tour: there's hardly a song without a noticeable clam. At this point, the Stones would have nothing to gain by releasing something as unpolished as that. I just don't think keith's fingers let him play the way he wants to anymore.

I agree that classic concerts from the past would be cool releases, something like Dylan's bootleg series.

cc

Posted by: Space ()
Date: October 12, 2005 06:51

weren't bands like the pixies giving out copies of the same show to fans after the show was complete through the soundboard? I think clear channel or something like that oredered a ceased and desist... I forget the main characters, but my point is that you can get a decent recording through a soundboard- but your right that they would never do that because look how they butcherd the last live licks cd- Man, for once I wish they would just suck it up and give a gift to the fans without being so stuck up about how they sound!!! I for one do not go to a stones show to see motzart, I go there to see a kick ass rock and roll show and guess what if it lives and breathes than its gonna have some warts...

Talkin bout the....

Date: October 12, 2005 07:02

The stones are probably correct in believing you feel your ass kicked more when you're at the show and watching it then when you have a chance to focus your attention only on listening to it. At least when there are as many warts as today, without the compensating oomph that used to come through.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 12, 2005 10:55

cc Wrote:
> FYI, setting up properly for the kind of quality
> recording you're hoping for would require more
> than just an off day from the tour, even if the
> band eventually did all the tracks in one take.
> Getting sounds for the drums alone would take half
> the day.
>
> And then listen to show from this tour: there's
> hardly a song without a noticeable clam. At this
> point, the Stones would have nothing to gain by
> releasing something as unpolished as that. I just
> don't think keith's fingers let him play the way
> he wants to anymore.
>

Right, that's exactly what I thought. Don't know if it's Keith fingers or what, but, apart from noticable @#$%&-ups, the music does not flow as it used to flow.
There's something static in their live sound nowadays so a live-in-the studio-recording of their actual setlist would not make much sense to me. I remember Mitch Ryder did it once - recording the live setlist in a studio, strictly live, no overdubs, just like on stage. It worked, the resulting album "Live Talkies" is one of my favourites. And "Stripped" worked, of course. But nowadays?

Date: October 12, 2005 11:30

It will rock!. The band must do it while on a break from the tour when they are in form. Most albums are not recorded at the bands peak as they don't have the "workout" of touring and playing the songs night after night. Stripped is one of my favorite albums being recorded after nearly a year on the road. You can hear the magic on it and it was basicly just an acoustic album. The version of Gimmie Shelter on the stripped video is their best ever I have heard.

Tracks can be mixed and altered afterward of course, but the feeling you get from a band in touring mode is never captured on albums and fans are always looking for the perfect boot. If all the fans thought the warhourses were so boring to hear, why so many fans discuss and search out Bootlegs of esentually the same songs for decades?

If the band is not on form then so be it , the time has past, but the guitars are up on this tour and their are good reviews.

The WORST thing about live recordings is the guitars are washed up. Listen to JJF on four flicks without watching it. It is just not guitar driven and now they have changed that we can finally get to hear these songs how they should be.

Posted by: stonethobo ()
Date: October 12, 2005 11:38

Yeah, it is time for Stripped II - for the hard rocking electric version recorded while on tour.

Date: October 12, 2005 11:52

Forgot to mention... Live Mick has to sing for nearly two hours. In the studio he can take breaks and the vocals will be better than any live recording.

Date: October 12, 2005 17:35

uz2bstoned Wrote:
> It will rock!. The band must do it while on a
> break from the tour when they are in form. Most
> albums are not recorded at the bands peak as they
> don't have the "workout" of touring and playing
> the songs night after night. Stripped is one of my
> favorite albums being recorded after nearly a year
> on the road.

dylan did this for Saved: quickly recorded an album full of songs the band had just been playing for months on tour, and the album did very poorly, b/c the sound of the recording was rushed.

I prefer the neil young idea of doing new songs selected from performances during the tour.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: October 12, 2005 17:36

Ehm... @#$%& Dylan.

Date: October 12, 2005 22:50

Yeah Dylan blows. Why does his sad arse have too eminate every thread here?

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: October 12, 2005 23:34

cc wrote: "I prefer the neil young idea of doing new songs selected from performances during the tour."

That's not what Neil does - He'll go in and record it staight away while its fresh. For better or worse you get what you get.

He will go back and overdub backing vocals. But for the most part its very close to live.

Date: October 13, 2005 01:12

Hey all you who whine about the lack of gems in the setlists should appreciate dylan He does dozens of songs per tour.

Rialb, I'm talking about neil young albums like Time Fades Away and Rust Never Sleeps, which are all new songs done live in concert. The acoustic version of "Rockin' in the Free World" that opens Freedom is also from a show.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: May 16, 2008 23:14

I am just waiting for the official release of the "new" Midnight Rambler (they play it amazing since 2002 tour, 2 official releases since then and no MR!).

Yeah, that album would be amazing. I agree!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 17, 2008 00:11

Although I'm not too keen on a new project focused on releasing rerecorded versions, I would buy a CD of rehearsals from before or during tours. There's a different psychology there and it's a more interesting insight I think. The boot, "Closer Than Close" that captured (from Chuck's tape player?) a set of songs during the B2B tour rehearsals is a great listen. A wonderful recording that would have been the next "Stripped" if it was released professionally in beautiful sound.

Some songs, I wouldn't want to hear in the confines of a studio though. "Midnight Rambler" for example is one I think only belongs on stage. Whatever that magic that song has--I'd expect it to be found on stage in front of thousands of people...not in a studio.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2177
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home