Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: Steven Tyler -Muscle Shoals Brown Sugar cover
Date: August 2, 2018 22:43

keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
OpenG
Early on Tyler and Perry had a lot more problems keeping the band intact then jagger/Richards.Didn,t they have a lot of lineup changes early on not a huge fan of Aerosmith,Despite the Tyler's troubles, including an incapacitating motorcycle accident in January 1981,Jimmy Crespo and Tyler forged a songwriting and touring partnership. Crespo co-wrote six of the songs on Aerosmith's 1982 album Rock in a Hard Place with Tyler. Crespo performed most guitar duties on the album. Then Rick Dufay joined on I think after 1982 to replace Whitford. Also some of the guitar work on the early records was done by othero musicians and not Perry from what I can remember.

Perry quit before Rock In A Hard Place. Eventually, Whitford did, too. Crespo and Dufay both played on that album, if memory serves. And they did tours as well.

Session guys allegedly played some stuff on Train Kept A Rolling. Haven't heard about other songs?
Aerosmith has kept their classic lineup intact for their career much longer than most bands, Stones included.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Attacking Aerosmith for trading out members during a brief period in the '80s is a peculiar line of attack for a Stones fan, of all people, to make.

It was a very brief period indeed, and please don't count me as one of the attackers smiling smiley

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: August 2, 2018 22:47

Never liked his voice and to me they are extremley overrated. Masters of Bon Jovi and Bryan Adams ballads....for those who likes that.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: August 2, 2018 22:47

And asked if he saw bands coming through to replace Aerosmith as stadium fillers and festival headliners, Kramer responds: “I don’t. When the bands that are around now are finished I think it will be the end of a very long era. I’m talking about bands like us, AC/DC and Van Halen.”

He doesn't mention The Stones? Seriously?

The guy (Kramer or whatever his name is) is so jealous that The Stones cast such a huge shadow over his band.

It's known as jealousy dude and so plain to see.

Date: August 2, 2018 22:49

hopkins
I hadn't heard that rumor Dandy but it might be true about 'train'?
Joe's got showcase oomph and some earnest tough strokes and runs for certain,
but I've always felt that Whitford was the guy with good 'studio' chops,
to my def non-studio pro level ears anyway. Brad seems to have the steadiness
and propulsive chops with exactitude that lets the other stuff kinda flash up front...where the stars roam the big spaces dramatically lit....
....i think that's probably true for their studio work too.
tho diff instruments of course, and again it's weird to compare ye Olde Gods
with our yank snotties...but maybe Whitford is the largely unheraled 'Wyman-Perks' of their group...it's a mighty good track even if they hired help tho; that producer was really key; he really, really had a handle on what he had and where he could take those guys sonically imo....as far as Joey goes; i mean, he does not belong in a coversation about Mr. Watts. He's stiffer than laundry on the line with that big detergent smell don't get me started. nobody ever accused Joey of having too much loose magical swing to his stomp. I'd rather see The Stones suck than a good Aero show and I really do have massive respect and affection for a huge chunk of their career; those first ten years; i mean most bands don't get that HIT and have a career span a fraction of what Aero put together; they were kinda cheap from the gitgo in some ways; that awful Sgt. Pepper movie; they were good fake Beatles too haha; i love the old bastureds don't get me wrong; except for jOEY; I was giving him a lot of points because he was real sick and got better; and also he seems to have a tic that makesa him vulnerable; or a serial killer; it's sort of hard to tell; did he sway those things about Charlie; hahahaa; that's great.....another pisseed off fan; he probably thiniing; 'hah we had jack douglas and they have whats his name...' who knows, right? shut up joey

Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner supposedly did the solos on Train Kept A Rolling.

If memory serves there are live stuff with both Crespo and Dufay on the red and blue live albums (Live Classics?) by Aerosmith (might be on just one of them).

Date: August 2, 2018 22:52

I just figured it out, the Aerosmith Kramer guy is the Jerry Seinfeld Kramer.

Makes sense.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 2, 2018 23:07

gonna be checkin ta see if he gets the drawl right on that ... "yeah"...in the last fading moments

ROCKMAN

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 2, 2018 23:12

DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
OpenG
Early on Tyler and Perry had a lot more problems keeping the band intact then jagger/Richards.Didn,t they have a lot of lineup changes early on not a huge fan of Aerosmith,Despite the Tyler's troubles, including an incapacitating motorcycle accident in January 1981,Jimmy Crespo and Tyler forged a songwriting and touring partnership. Crespo co-wrote six of the songs on Aerosmith's 1982 album Rock in a Hard Place with Tyler. Crespo performed most guitar duties on the album. Then Rick Dufay joined on I think after 1982 to replace Whitford. Also some of the guitar work on the early records was done by othero musicians and not Perry from what I can remember.

Perry quit before Rock In A Hard Place. Eventually, Whitford did, too. Crespo and Dufay both played on that album, if memory serves. And they did tours as well.

Session guys allegedly played some stuff on Train Kept A Rolling. Haven't heard about other songs?
Aerosmith has kept their classic lineup intact for their career much longer than most bands, Stones included.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Attacking Aerosmith for trading out members during a brief period in the '80s is a peculiar line of attack for a Stones fan, of all people, to make.

It was a very brief period indeed, and please don't count me as one of the attackers smiling smiley
I didn't mean to include you, lol

Date: August 2, 2018 23:17

DandelionPowderman
hopkins
I hadn't heard that rumor Dandy but it might be true about 'train'?
Joe's got showcase oomph and some earnest tough strokes and runs for certain,
but I've always felt that Whitford was the guy with good 'studio' chops,
to my def non-studio pro level ears anyway. Brad seems to have the steadiness
and propulsive chops with exactitude that lets the other stuff kinda flash up front...where the stars roam the big spaces dramatically lit....
....i think that's probably true for their studio work too.
tho diff instruments of course, and again it's weird to compare ye Olde Gods
with our yank snotties...but maybe Whitford is the largely unheraled 'Wyman-Perks' of their group...it's a mighty good track even if they hired help tho; that producer was really key; he really, really had a handle on what he had and where he could take those guys sonically imo....as far as Joey goes; i mean, he does not belong in a coversation about Mr. Watts. He's stiffer than laundry on the line with that big detergent smell don't get me started. nobody ever accused Joey of having too much loose magical swing to his stomp. I'd rather see The Stones suck than a good Aero show and I really do have massive respect and affection for a huge chunk of their career; those first ten years; i mean most bands don't get that HIT and have a career span a fraction of what Aero put together; they were kinda cheap from the gitgo in some ways; that awful Sgt. Pepper movie; they were good fake Beatles too haha; i love the old bastureds don't get me wrong; except for jOEY; I was giving him a lot of points because he was real sick and got better; and also he seems to have a tic that makesa him vulnerable; or a serial killer; it's sort of hard to tell; did he sway those things about Charlie; hahahaa; that's great.....another pisseed off fan; he probably thiniing; 'hah we had jack douglas and they have whats his name...' who knows, right? shut up joey

Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner supposedly did the solos on Train Kept A Rolling.

If memory serves there are live stuff with both Crespo and Dufay on the red and blue live albums (Live Classics?) by Aerosmith (might be on just one of them).
Yes, and they're REALLY good. I actually didn't know the albums had Dufay and Crespo on some of the tracks originally.

The Classics Live! version of Lord of the Thighs is absolutely smoking...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: August 2, 2018 23:18

To lighten up the thread LOL

[www.bing.com]

Posted by: ultimaterocker ()
Date: August 3, 2018 04:01

[www.youtube.com]

Great live cover of Honky Tonk Woman

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 3, 2018 19:01

ultimaterocker
[www.youtube.com]

So where was the guy with the better voice than Jagger?
I didn’t hear it, I was told there was a guy on this video that for a “fact”had a better voice than Jagger,maybe it was a different Steven Tyler cause that vocal wasn’t even as good as some Stones cover bands.

This what happens when people watch too much television,after enough American idol type game show singing competitions they confuse vocal range with singing.
Mariah Carey has more range than Aretha but I doubt anyone would try and compare them.

Singing is sbout delivery,inflection,and conveying a feeling or emotion which is why no one is dumb enough to compare an Aerosmith ballad to Angie,Beast of Burden,or Paint it black and say its a “fact” that Aerosmith has a better singer.that is just a special kinda stupid.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 3, 2018 20:40

A more apt comparison would be Mariah Carey and Chrissie Hynde. Mariah has a greater vocal range. There is no disputing that. I like Chrissie Hynde's voice, I don't like Mariah Carey. That's preference.

Likewise, I prefer Mick's voice to Steven Tyler. It's factual to say the Stones had a greater impact on popular culture than Aerosmith. If someone likes Aerosmith's version of "You Gotta Move" better than the Stones' version, it's just preference.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: August 3, 2018 20:40

lem motlow
ultimaterocker
[www.youtube.com]

So where was the guy with the better voice than Jagger?
I didn’t hear it, I was told there was a guy on this video that for a “fact”had a better voice than Jagger,maybe it was a different Steven Tyler cause that vocal wasn’t even as good as some Stones cover bands.

This what happens when people watch too much television,after enough American idol type game show singing competitions they confuse vocal range with singing.
Mariah Carey has more range than Aretha but I doubt anyone would try and compare them.

Singing is sbout delivery,inflection,and conveying a feeling or emotion which is why no one is dumb enough to compare an Aerosmith ballad to Angie,Beast of Burden,or Paint it black and say its a “fact” that Aerosmith has a better singer.that is just a special kinda stupid.

Grow up .
You don't like Steve Tyler go to another thread, stop berating people that do, comment on Tyler but why get personal with people that like his voice.

Iv'e seen Aerosmith live a few times and they deliver a great show, not as good as a Stones gig but Tyler's vocals live are really inspirational with plenty of emotion.
Is it ok to like Mick and Steven, is that ok with you, i just watched that youtube clip and i enjoyed it, it wasn't Mick but is was a nice second best, he had a different take on the song to Mick that was nice because i'm fed up with the way Mick sings that particular song after all these years. It pays no resemblance to the studio version either when he sings it, i love Micks studio version, but live he seems to shorten the lines and doesn't extend the words long enough like on the Honky Tonk line which is irritating. Should go "its a Hooowaannnnnnkey Tonk women, instead he goes "it's a Honky Tonk, Honky Tonk, woman. Instead of a long enhanced stretched line its turned into a sort of can't be bothered with it attitude.

No one is perfect, Mick is a great singer but he does strange things like on JJF , again he abbreviates too much, like with " well its alllrriight now" he goes " well its all, it's all right, now" i mean why kill it like that, it's not like he can't sing it properly if he wanted to.
Maybe it's a way of saving his voice or something , perhaps someone with more knowledge can explain it. Same with SMU, abbreviating the part that goes " i'll take places that you neeevvveerr neeevvvveeerr seeen"
Just doesn't make sense to me, like he's economizing or something.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-03 21:24 by keithsman.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: August 4, 2018 00:18

keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
OpenG

[en.wikipedia.org]

you could not be more wrong. They BROKE UP for God's sake.Explain to me how that applies to "intact". Geez

Date: August 4, 2018 00:27

potus43
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
OpenG

[en.wikipedia.org]

you could not be more wrong. They BROKE UP for God's sake.Explain to me how that applies to "intact". Geez

aerosmith never broke up that i know of

Date: August 4, 2018 00:36

yup. I saw their reunion show in MSG

Date: August 4, 2018 00:38

keefriffhard4life
potus43
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
OpenG

[en.wikipedia.org]

Correct...look at the Wiki timeline...there's no gap indicating an official breakup, just like the Stones never "broke up" between Dirty Work and Steel Wheels, although it's definitely a fuzzy period.

The fact that all five of them are still together and touring IS notable.

Date: August 4, 2018 01:03

Keith is cool.

If he doesn't dig a band, he'll say something like "it's not my thing" but I doubt he would say a player's technical proficiency stinks.

Either way, I still think Aerosmith is a good band.

Date: August 4, 2018 01:07

beachbreak
Keith is cool.

If he doesn't dig a band, he'll say something like "it's not my thing" but I doubt he would say a player's technical proficiency stinks.

Either way, I still think Aerosmith is a good band.
Keith has certainly expressed some nasty and hard-nosed opinions about his contemporaries, but he's never been as rudely dismissive as Joey is here.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 4, 2018 02:53

keefriff99
Keith has certainly expressed some nasty and hard-nosed opinions about his contemporaries, but he's never been as rudely dismissive as Joey is here.

[timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 4, 2018 02:58

Having skimmed through some of their late '70's era videos after this thread appeared, and rediscovered there are some decent tunes on Draw the Line and Night in the Ruts (Kings and Queens, Sight For Sore Eyes, No Surprise, Chiquita, and their Yardbirds cover of Think About It) - at least for nostalgia reasons as I reminisce about my numbskull friend who was a diehard through the thick and thin of it. But the funny part is, when watching the Night in the Ruts videos, no Perry to be seen and instead the new imposter Jimmy Crespo is seen "playing" the parts and "singing" the harmony. He's a decent actor in these videos, but don't think he was the right replacement as the full album he recorded with them (Rock and a Hard Place) is a true stinker imo - even my friend thought it sucked.

Here's the video of No Surprize from Night in the Ruts with stand in actor Jimmy Crespo:

Aerosmith - No Surprize

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-04 03:00 by Hairball.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 4, 2018 03:15

Rocky Dijon
keefriff99

[timeisonourside.com]

Lots of biting stuff in there, from both Keith and Mick!

"Oh God, Aerosmith! They're just rubbish - absolute bullshit. The singer (Steve Tyler) is quite a nice guy, mind you. He's almost too bloody sweet. He's very kind to me, anyway (smirk).
Yeah, you know what I mean. He's such a little sweetheart, really - what can you do with him? Punch 'im in the mouth? Here, what are you playing at, @#$%&' impersonating me? - Slam! (Laughs)" - Mick Jagger, 1977

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 4, 2018 05:45

Rocky Dijon
keefriff99

[timeisonourside.com]

"Oh, if you can make a load of shit, so can we."
(talking of Satanic Majesties after Pepper)

- Keith Richards, 2015

GOT to Love this cat in spite of himself and a lot of others, at times.

(i ADORE some tracks on TSMR, znd still go to those frequently.
I love the "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" 2nd version on that album,
because it's got some cool rock and roll in there, but do never go back for anything else on that one personally,
tho some of them are inventive and cool for what they are I suppose.
There is a healthy handful of numbers, well
a few for certain on 'request' that I think are pretty tops.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-04 05:51 by hopkins.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 4, 2018 06:13

Hairball
Rocky Dijon
keefriff99

[timeisonourside.com]

Lots of biting stuff in there, from both Keith and Mick!

"Oh God, Aerosmith! They're just rubbish - absolute bullshit. The singer (Steve Tyler) is quite a nice guy, mind you. He's almost too bloody sweet. He's very kind to me, anyway (smirk).
Yeah, you know what I mean. He's such a little sweetheart, really - what can you do with him? Punch 'im in the mouth? Here, what are you playing at, @#$%&' impersonating me? - Slam! (Laughs)" - Mick Jagger, 1977

I think that's more than fair; I don't know him more than a few casual meets.
At one of them he was getting a little much of that loving fan swarm and pressure; he had no security and was only with Joe Perry, also a very relatively short and small person, with a Lot of heart as well.
Tyler was gentlemanly, much more understanding and patient and 'sweet' as you say. He was pretty genuine in a situation that would have made other celebs pullt he celeb crap or just retreat, whatever....he's got that 'free pass' thast rich famous people do but was NOT working ANY of that, and it would have been a cinch to get out of there. He was warm and patient with them. I'm not even infamous anywhere never mind famous but i would have had them backing up and off in a second haha, it was not really very cool or mannerly the manner in which they were being objectified. But Steven 'got it' and was very kind and gracious. I tend to remember things like that.

I had an experience w Roger Daltry, a longer actual private talk, not of great length but over an extended afternoon into evening at a show where I had a slight job but full access when The Who were in their primo prime and hotter than is possible to describe. I think possibly in 1970 they were the Greatest; the Stones eclipsed EVERYONE FOR ALL TIME IMO w exoms,
so let's not go to the comparison thing too hard on the Boston people; there is some honest graciousness amidst all the horror stories we Stones fan should be sensitive about, considering the internal damage done by fights in our band too.
....Like it or not, and sometimes I go for very very long periods without going back to them, other than Draw the Line single and Back In The Saddle and some reliable movers; absolutely reliable movers.

Steven Tyler is a truly great rock singer. Truly powrfully great and facile. Mickster is the imprinted rock and roll voice, tude, fascinating moves (tyler def a Supah great front guy when things were (and still are? perhaps at times?) and still has an incredibley powerul gift. For me there are so many Stones
song I regularly need that Mick is unquestionably the Gift that keeps on giving I spent time with Monkey Man studio; not anything visual other than a still. It vlew me totall totaly totally totally away.

Thanks for posting their HTW into 'Draw..." the audio sucked of course but i am used to filtering things out somewhat from years of bad boots
that I cherish....he nailed it; his moves are beautiful; however choreographed, he's got his natural flow with it. I think perhaps we would have heard
The Stones dismissal of them casually; as K does to the Beatles even tho he also really spoke so highly of John as the "strongman" that broke the barrier for them and everybody else, when he talked with journalist Hunter Thompson.

itz a bit the useless 'fight' and comparison, as many fans here describe it.

oops then there's this:

"Oh God, Aerosmith! They're just rubbish - absolute bullshit. The singer (Steve Tyler) is quite a nice guy, mind you. He's almost too bloody sweet. He's very kind to me, anyway (smirk). Yeah, you know what I mean. He's such a little sweetheart, really - what can you do with him? Punch 'im in the mouth? Here, what are you playing at, @#$%&' impersonating me? - Slam! (Laughs)"

- Mick Jagger, 1977

which is not generous or accurarte imo. Tho Draw The Line came out in December of 77, and probably Afer this quote, "Toys in the Attic" w 'Walk this Way" had come out; as well as a fair slew of Great and MORE than worthy original tracks; with good lyrics and great performance with heat, were totally bringing them into the stratosphere of concert and record sales. Admittedly and honestly, they were huge Stones fans, heavily influenced and inspired; of course it shows up in ther glim twinz vs. toxic twins stuff; even Aeros problems get a Stones reference.
They are not ashamed of loving The Stones and proudly stomping out in their own direction from there. So Mick's comments are also understandable, as I'm postive positive that Aero were covering Live Stones Berry hits in their club act. and etc...like everyone else in the 60's who couild even only play TWO of the Three bigass chords in a blues progression.
Mick based his entire front act, in a large part on James and Tina.
K was attracted to, and inspired by, Tina's ferocity.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-04 06:27 by hopkins.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 4, 2018 19:10

keefriffhard4life
potus43
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
OpenG

[en.wikipedia.org]

Aerosmith never broke up.

Date: August 4, 2018 19:12

beachbreak
And asked if he saw bands coming through to replace Aerosmith as stadium fillers and festival headliners, Kramer responds: “I don’t. When the bands that are around now are finished I think it will be the end of a very long era. I’m talking about bands like us, AC/DC and Van Halen.”

He doesn't mention The Stones? Seriously?

The guy (Kramer or whatever his name is) is so jealous that The Stones cast such a huge shadow over his band.

It's known as jealousy dude and so plain to see.

He's talking about their era. That doesn't include the Stones. Has zero to do with jealousy.

Date: August 5, 2018 00:36

bobo
Never liked his voice and to me they are extremley overrated. Masters of Bon Jovi and Bryan Adams ballads....for those who likes that.

exactly. AeroJovi

Date: August 5, 2018 00:37

GasLightStreet
keefriffhard4life
potus43
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
OpenG

[en.wikipedia.org]

Yup, they did. Wiki is the LAST thing one should look to for reliability

Date: August 5, 2018 02:19

potus43
GasLightStreet
keefriffhard4life
potus43
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
OpenG

[en.wikipedia.org]

They never broke up. You're just spewing fake news.

Date: August 5, 2018 05:19

potus43
GasLightStreet
keefriffhard4life
potus43
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
OpenG

[en.wikipedia.org]

just give us the years they broke up then

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1542
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home