Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: Steven Tyler -Muscle Shoals Brown Sugar cover
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 1, 2018 23:01

Surprised to hear so much shit talking about Aerosmith on here. Their '70s and '80s work is fantastic, and Tyler is 70 and can STILL sing like it's nothing. His vocal resilience is remarkable.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: August 1, 2018 23:57

Aerosmith at the Beacon is in my top 10 shows out of many. A fan stopped Steven on the way in the stage door and handed him a stack of albums to sign. Steven said "Thanks!" and kept going. On stage he said "Check out these albums some guy handed me" and proceeded to toss them into the audience. He laughed and said "He's saying 'Wait! Those are my records!"

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: August 2, 2018 01:15

Steven Tyler is a very good singer and Joe Perry a good guitarist.

They did rip-off the Stones personna though, same blueprint.

Didn't the drummer bad mouth The Stones awhile back?

If so, he is just a jealous wannabe, if not, my apologies.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 2, 2018 02:20

Aerosmith's drummer has no respect for Charlie.

[www.loudersound.com]

“Everybody is always raving about the Stones, saying the Stones this and the Stones that. I’ve never cared for the Stones. They never had anything to offer me musically, especially in the drumming department.”

Kramer adds: “The Stones is not the original band and I do not care for them. I think if you came to see an Aerosmith concert, people would realise that we play so much better than them that it’s silly because they’re not so good live."

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 2, 2018 03:21

triceratops
Not looking forward to this jive. Aerosmith the poor man's Stones. I admit that they have the work ethic and continuity. They worked hard and smart so are worth millions and deserve it.

But take their first hit "Train Kept a Rolling", total shiiite compared to what the Yardbirds did with that Chicago blues material. They tried to rip off the Yardbirds and FAILED!

well sure the boss town boys had the major M&K fever,
stylistically (both music and costumery; outrageousness w pulentty da obvious homage or ripoff, take yer pick;
somewhere in between the two most likely, as there is good songcraft in Aerosmith early on; real good for the first four or so albums imo.
lots of crunch and roll; i wasn't hip enough, or had an educated ear enough, to realize how lame Aero's version of "Train..." was at the time,
so I ended up playing it a hundred times, gettings off at each stop fer sure and certain.
'draw the line' still had them pumping out even more excellente stuff somehow;
i rather both loathe and adore these comparions,
never fair to either band.
Especially when was is a genuine 2nd gen rock and rollers, well certainly arriving as the first gen cusped, and began to wander toward 'oldie' designations; and sometimes, obscurity....

..they are a total 'legit' thing hard earned;
def 3rd generation and obviously, obviously; and never even denying it, as a matter of fact to the loud contrary....STONES FANS,
as those New England kids were proud to exclaim countlessly upon emergence....
yeh steve has aggravated me with his endless jive DURING ENTIRE EPOCHS;
thattsa show de biz on that level;
but there is purity of intention, inspiration and delivery, if one looks for it imo.

brown sugar
is one of my favorite wild endlessly riveting, incredibly powerful rock songs ever; whatever the hell he's talking about.

i rather enjoyed Dylan's live version; Charlie Sexton got to let it get a little big around the pants part,
and old Bob missed most of the first verse entirely;
or was just listening or something....lol,
then he started to mumble some shit he made up on the spot;
sorta mixing it INTO bits of the actual lyrics, whatever the hell they mean; tho it seems a party is getting a little out of hand in that song;
lets face it; they are not likely to even get the hand percussion right, but it's gonna be a good rocin' and loving homage, I feel it.

credit where it's due;
tho peeps hate the Beats here, some of us do,, not me...
Steve had Paul almost in tears; actual he DID mist up
and have to control his jaw from quivering with emo when Steve,
at some presidential baptism of Paulie,
who needs more medals and sashes; when Steven did the all that full coda string of songs at the end of Abbey Road;
and he honestly killed it;
take a gander; Steve shows a LOT of graciousness; and extremely wild (and yes tasteful,
not uber-grunge-scream-gruntz-fake-sammy-davis-junior-stage-jive,
that he does sometimes...really great soulful rock vocals with great facility and power and sensitivity imo.

sans the showbiz jive;
and believe me there are periods of Aero i go NOWhERE near EVER...as the decades rolled on;
but thosae first four studio LPS.
AND they were friggin' READY for that record deal;
it is NOT easy being a really SeNSATIONAL, and in Demand First Rate College party and concert Live dance band, in Boston;
thatz Harvard, Yale (Cambridge) Tufts, and a Huge CONTINgent of young people REALLY ready to rock in the earliest 70's....Dozens of schools; dozens and dozens....
....the band FORMED after The Stones were already quite mega-esatablished.

how many dozens of other bands; including the Punkstaaha, 'rip off' The Stones,,,,look, tude and approaches.....??
even ole Johnny da Rottened as he called for their execution.
like how many dozen?
i've got my own version of All Down The Line; laugh aLL day and night; it puts me right everytime....

I'll be here roasting Tyler's fake ass if he blows this;
it would be inconsequential, relatively, in any case;
but i'm betting it will be super great; really capture that energetic excitement that inspired Joe and Steven's Glimz moves;
and overtly without shame or denial.

...and then, imo, took their songwriting and sound in their own direction;
even if some fans find it worthless; they are an important rock band,
occasionally with bits of roll. i don't know who he hired to play on it; i bet it'a gonna kill and i can't wait.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: August 2, 2018 03:41

keefriff99
Surprised to hear so much shit talking about Aerosmith on here. Their '70s and '80s work is fantastic, and Tyler is 70 and can STILL sing like it's nothing. His vocal resilience is remarkable.

Done with mirrors is their Dirty Work. Except Dirty Work is better.

Date: August 2, 2018 08:39

J.J.Flash
keefriff99

Rock In A Hard Place, I'd say. DWM has grown on me. It's better than its reputation, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-02 09:45 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: August 2, 2018 09:02

Oh dear

Date: August 2, 2018 15:08

DandelionPowderman
J.J.Flash
keefriff99

Rock In A Hard Place, I'd say. DWM has grown on me. It's better than its reputation, imo.
Rock In A Hard Place is pretty dire.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 2, 2018 16:01

Some day, I'll venture to IORR and find someone saying "You know what...liking The Beatles/Aerosmith/The Black Crowes doesn't make me any less of a Stones fan. It just means I like music" and everyone will agree.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 2, 2018 16:09

I've noticed we've made a lot of progress with Beatles fans over the last few years. I'm thankful for this. We can like more bands than just The Stones. My fandom is not affected liking them both.

Date: August 2, 2018 16:15

Glam Descendant
Aerosmith's drummer has no respect for Charlie.

[www.loudersound.com]

“Everybody is always raving about the Stones, saying the Stones this and the Stones that. I’ve never cared for the Stones. They never had anything to offer me musically, especially in the drumming department.”

Kramer adds: “The Stones is not the original band and I do not care for them. I think if you came to see an Aerosmith concert, people would realise that we play so much better than them that it’s silly because they’re not so good live."
Kramer is a grade-A douche. It has nothing to do with not liking the Stones (he's certainly entitled to his opinion) but his crass dismissal of them is unbelievably rude. Plus his politics leave me cold.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: August 2, 2018 16:59

keefriff99

My thoughts exactly, Doxa and co are being a bit childish to say it's Mick bashing to say Steve Tyler has a better voice, it's just a fact. Mick hasn't got that kind of range and depth, it's not as strong but he makes the best out of what he has and has achieved unparalleled success with it. What makes Mick so special is his performance and movement, not to mention his genious as a song writer.

I love so many different artists and singers, it's as if to be on iorr or to be a real Stones fan we must only enjoy the Stones.confused smiley

Mick is a formidable front man, the best in the world at what he does but that doesn't necessarily mean he has the best voice.

Keith is a great guitarists, there is no one like him, he is unique but that doesn't mean he is the best player, there are so many technically better players out there. What makes the Stones the best band in the world is that they are greater than the sum of their parts, this is why Mick and Keith had such poor solo success in caparison to what they can achieve together.

I wish people wouldn't take things so personally, its all subjective at the end of the day, who's voice we love or who's voice irritates us after a while.
I love Bob Dylans voice, my wife hates it lol. Doesn't mean i can't stand my wife because she doesn't like Dylans voice winking smiley

Anyway i rest my case with the list of top rock singers on the link below, Mick comes 14th, Tyler comes 12th. But i don't take it seriously, more people pay money to see Mick sing so who cares. winking smiley

[www.thetoptens.com]

Date: August 2, 2018 17:07

keithsman
keefriff99

My thoughts exactly, Doxa and co are being a bit childish to say it's Mick bashing to say Steve Tyler has a better voice, it's just a fact. Mick hasn't got that kind of range and depth, it's not as strong but he makes the best out of what he has and has achieved unparalleled success with it. What makes Mick so special is his performance and movement, not to mention his genious as a song writer.

I love so many different artists and singers, it's as if to be on iorr or to be a real Stones fan we must only enjoy the Stones.confused smiley

Mick is a formidable front man, the best in the world at what he does but that doesn't necessarily mean he has the best voice.

Keith is a great guitarists, there is no one like him, he is unique but that doesn't mean he is the best player, there are so many technically better players out there. What makes the Stones the best band in the world is that they are greater than the sum of their parts, this is why Mick and Keith had such poor solo success in caparison to what they can achieve together.

I wish people wouldn't take things so personally, its all subjective at the end of the day, who's voice we love or who's voice irritates us after a while.
I love Bob Dylans voice, my wife hates it lol. Doesn't mean i can't stand my wife because she doesn't like Dylans voice winking smiley

Anyway i rest my case with the list of top rock singers on the link below, Mick comes 14th, Tyler comes 12th. But i don't take it seriously, more people pay money to see Mick sing so who cares. winking smiley

[www.thetoptens.com]

Chester Bennington and Angus Young(!)? grinning smiley

Date: August 2, 2018 17:37

Hehe Angus get's a question mark DP.

Think the person who compiled that list was having a laugh, Angus isn't listed.

Date: August 2, 2018 17:53

The man is a force of nature, we are lucky to live in a world with Jagger AND Tyler. Plus the guy is a huge Stones fan, i take it as complement that he has done a version of Brown Sugar.

Dream On
[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 2, 2018 18:27

Artists are competitive. Joey Kramer's remarks are no different than Keith sounding off about his peers. As someone once said, talk is cheap.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 2, 2018 18:39

keefriff99

They were great! But unfortunately for many people that loved them, they got those Aerosmith tattoo symbols on their arms, and then Aerosmith turned into a crappy power ballad band, and those same people now had to wear those tattoos in embarrassment.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 2, 2018 18:54

LeonidP
keefriff99

They were great! But unfortunately for many people that loved them, they got those Aerosmith tattoo symbols on their arms, and then Aerosmith turned into a crappy power ballad band, and those same people now had to wear those tattoos in embarrassment.

Get A Grip, Pump and Honkin’ On Bobo are the best albums they did IMO.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: August 2, 2018 18:58

keithsman
Steve Tyler has a better voice, it's just a fact.

confused smiley

Date: August 2, 2018 19:52

BowieStone
keithsman
Steve Tyler has a better voice, it's just a fact.

confused smiley

Meaning most people would say Steven has a better voice, most people that understand voices and vocal range would agree it's more powerful and is excellently suited to Rock, so that's factual, but on another level if you think Steven sucks and you hate Aerosmith and their music then you would prefer to hear Mick sing because the music is better, that's subjective but it doesn't make Micks voice the best or give him a better vocal range.
Some like blondes some like brunettes, no one can say what is best, but if more people prefer blondes then its a fact that men prefer blondes.
Hope this helps.

If facts hurt peoples feelings what can i say.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: August 2, 2018 20:26

Early on Tyler and Perry had a lot more problems keeping the band intact then jagger/Richards.Didn,t they have a lot of lineup changes early on not a huge fan of Aerosmith,Despite the Tyler's troubles, including an incapacitating motorcycle accident in January 1981,Jimmy Crespo and Tyler forged a songwriting and touring partnership. Crespo co-wrote six of the songs on Aerosmith's 1982 album Rock in a Hard Place with Tyler. Crespo performed most guitar duties on the album. Then Rick Dufay joined on I think after 1982 to replace Whitford. Also some of the guitar work on the early records was done by othero musicians and not Perry from what I can remember.

Date: August 2, 2018 20:31

keithsman
on another level if you think Steven sucks and you hate Aerosmith and their music then you would prefer to hear Mick sing because the music is better

Everything you wrote above strikes me as logical except the bit I quoted which went slightly off. A logical argument would be "if you think Aerosmith sucks and prefer the Stones you won't care about vocal range."

It is true Mick does not have the range of Steven Tyler or Axyl Rose or Steve Perry just as Keith does not have the vocabulary on guitar of Clapton or Hendrix or Beck or Stevie Ray. Neither Mick or Keith were gifted that way, though they might have expanded their respective musical range considerably had they chosen to concentrate their efforts. Instead Keith largely stayed in the Chuck Berry school of riffs and rhythm and Mick was content to focus on channeling R&B, blues, and country singers. Matters of preference will always be subjective and never factual.

Date: August 2, 2018 20:51

Rocky Dijon
keithsman
on another level if you think Steven sucks and you hate Aerosmith and their music then you would prefer to hear Mick sing because the music is better

Everything you wrote above strikes me as logical except the bit I quoted which went slightly off. A logical argument would be "if you think Aerosmith sucks and prefer the Stones you won't care about vocal range."

It is true Mick does not have the range of Steven Tyler or Axyl Rose or Steve Perry just as Keith does not have the vocabulary on guitar of Clapton or Hendrix or Beck or Stevie Ray. Neither Mick or Keith were gifted that way, though they might have expanded their respective musical range considerably had they chosen to concentrate their efforts. Instead Keith largely stayed in the Chuck Berry school of riffs and rhythm and Mick was content to focus on channeling R&B, blues, and country singers. Matters of preference will always be subjective and never factual.

Nicely explained Rocky thumbs up

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: August 2, 2018 21:18

They were good in the 70s. that's it.

I recall being backstage in Boston VL Tour and Steven desperately trying to get to talk to Jagger who wanted none of it. Was hilarious.

Date: August 2, 2018 21:19

as far as vocal characterizations, as opposed to 'technical' singing per se,
i think Mick the much more reliable and authentic fake than Steven.
At the Hot Jive Awards, however, both have earned more than nominations.
Are the four sides of EOMS relatively more significant than any four sides,
(two full --of any-- Aerosmith long players?
Would that be a credible research sample?
Do you, for example, (even if you adore certain Aerosmith Entire Periods,
and bought SEVERAL of their records) in truth are more likely to head,
and over and over again, to "Summer Romance" even tho it's trash?
I love this thread; i have very little understanding of what any of it means;
which makes it, somehow, even more critically an urgent task we must bring to,
let's face it: Science and Technology. Research and more Research.
Task Forces and Committees. Walkin the Dog or Walkin the Dog.
No more bullshit; Let's have it out. Cue the robots, tune the frequency
platforms to download a LOT of data. It's Mick or Steve.
Old Man Cage Fight. Get Tina on the phone. I've had it with all of you here.

Date: August 2, 2018 21:25

OpenG
Early on Tyler and Perry had a lot more problems keeping the band intact then jagger/Richards.Didn,t they have a lot of lineup changes early on not a huge fan of Aerosmith,Despite the Tyler's troubles, including an incapacitating motorcycle accident in January 1981,Jimmy Crespo and Tyler forged a songwriting and touring partnership. Crespo co-wrote six of the songs on Aerosmith's 1982 album Rock in a Hard Place with Tyler. Crespo performed most guitar duties on the album. Then Rick Dufay joined on I think after 1982 to replace Whitford. Also some of the guitar work on the early records was done by othero musicians and not Perry from what I can remember.

Perry quit before Rock In A Hard Place. Eventually, Whitford did, too. Crespo and Dufay both played on that album, if memory serves. And they did tours as well.

Session guys allegedly played some stuff on Train Kept A Rolling. Haven't heard about other songs?

Date: August 2, 2018 21:41

I hadn't heard that rumor Dandy but it might be true about 'train'?
Joe's got showcase oomph and some earnest tough strokes and runs for certain,
but I've always felt that Whitford was the guy with good 'studio' chops,
to my def non-studio pro level ears anyway. Brad seems to have the steadiness
and propulsive chops with exactitude that lets the other stuff kinda flash up front...where the stars roam the big spaces dramatically lit....
....i think that's probably true for their studio work too.
tho diff instruments of course, and again it's weird to compare ye Olde Gods
with our yank snotties...but maybe Whitford is the largely unheraled 'Wyman-Perks' of their group...it's a mighty good track even if they hired help tho; that producer was really key; he really, really had a handle on what he had and where he could take those guys sonically imo....as far as Joey goes; i mean, he does not belong in a coversation about Mr. Watts. He's stiffer than laundry on the line with that big detergent smell don't get me started. nobody ever accused Joey of having too much loose magical swing to his stomp. I'd rather see The Stones suck than a good Aero show and I really do have massive respect and affection for a huge chunk of their career; those first ten years; i mean most bands don't get that HIT and have a career span a fraction of what Aero put together; they were kinda cheap from the gitgo in some ways; that awful Sgt. Pepper movie; they were good fake Beatles too haha; i love the old bastureds don't get me wrong; except for jOEY; I was giving him a lot of points because he was real sick and got better; and also he seems to have a tic that makesa him vulnerable; or a serial killer; it's sort of hard to tell; did he sway those things about Charlie; hahahaa; that's great.....another pisseed off fan; he probably thiniing; 'hah we had jack douglas and they have whats his name...' who knows, right? shut up joey

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-02 21:46 by hopkins.

Date: August 2, 2018 22:09

well mick covered come together and thats an aeromsith song; so fair is fair

Date: August 2, 2018 22:35

DandelionPowderman
OpenG

Perry quit before Rock In A Hard Place. Eventually, Whitford did, too. Crespo and Dufay both played on that album, if memory serves. And they did tours as well.

Session guys allegedly played some stuff on Train Kept A Rolling. Haven't heard about other songs?
Aerosmith has kept their classic lineup intact for their career much longer than most bands, Stones included.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Attacking Aerosmith for trading out members during a brief period in the '80s is a peculiar line of attack for a Stones fan, of all people, to make.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2429
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home