Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 18 of 20
Re: 'The Studio Albums Vinyl Collection 1971-2016' - 15 June 2018
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 6, 2020 16:50

Again no Vinyl, but the Studio-Albums 1971-2016 (except GHS) are available as Japanese SHM-CDs with mini-LP Cardboard sleeve. Mostly 2011 DSD-Master as well as 2009/15/16 Master.

4-Dec-2020: [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] , [Store.Universal-Music.co.jp] , [www.CDJapan.co.jp] . Also available at jpc.de.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-08 10:30 by Irix.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: October 6, 2020 17:09

Irix
Again no Vinyl, but the Studio-Albums 1971-2016 (except GHS) are available as Japanese SHM-CDs with mini-LP Cardboard sleeve. Mostly 2011 DSD-Master as well as 2009-16 Master.

4-Dec-2020: [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] , [www.CDJapan.co.jp] .

I screwed up this reply, I was completely wrong.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-06 17:16 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: March 25, 2021 12:37

Here's a good review/opinion of a vinyl expert with good points;

Date: June 10, 2021 22:40

Summer-Sale (US): 25% off storewide with code SUMMER25 - [Shop.uDiscoverMusic.com] .

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: June 10, 2021 23:41

DiamondDog7

These reviews are not concerning the Box edition, but the separate issues. Nevertheless I think these should contain the same mastering.
The review is not that good I think, it's a bit boring. He only says: 'it's bad, stay away from it'', or 'it's okay, not spectacular, not bad'. He is not elaborating a lot on the 'why'.
Interesting though that the review is really on the negative side, most reviews of the box are mainly positive. The work of Miles Showell is regarded as very succesfull mostly. The main criticism of the reviewer is about not taking any risks, the sound being too flat and dull.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 11, 2021 04:39

jackflash27
DiamondDog7

These reviews are not concerning the Box edition, but the separate issues. Nevertheless I think these should contain the same mastering.
The review is not that good I think, it's a bit boring. He only says: 'it's bad, stay away from it'', or 'it's okay, not spectacular, not bad'. He is not elaborating a lot on the 'why'.
Interesting though that the review is really on the negative side, most reviews of the box are mainly positive. The work of Miles Showell is regarded as very succesfull mostly. The main criticism of the reviewer is about not taking any risks, the sound being too flat and dull.

Given how monotone his delivery is, you'd think he'd have liked the flat dull mastering.

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: June 11, 2021 08:24

treaclefingers
jackflash27
DiamondDog7

Given how monotone his delivery is, you'd think he'd have liked the flat dull mastering.

Exactly. It’s a miracle he managed in working the whole catalogue through, without falling asleep. What a boring person.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 11, 2021 10:43

If I remember right before he started rating the records separately he explained the whole set was subpar, and very unusual for Abbey Road standards.

Date: June 11, 2021 17:48

frankotero
If I remember right before he started rating the records separately he explained the whole set was subpar, and very unusual for Abbey Road standards.

I had only heard great reviews for this set. There's always at least one fly in the ointment though.

Date: June 11, 2021 20:02

I had the VL copy from this series. First I was put off that it's pressed in the "EU" which means The Czech Republic. No offense to them but they're not known for quality records. After playing a few songs I realized it's no better than any other over compressed trash that's released these days. I sold it for less than half I payed just to get rid of it. So, basically I share this guy's opinion. Lately all the releases are plagued with over driven sound that stops me from listening, even at lower volumes. Maybe it's my hearing that's to fault. Certainly I won't live another 50 years until they un re-master all this stuff. Oh well.

Date: June 11, 2021 20:16

frankotero
I had the VL copy from this series. First I was put off that it's pressed in the "EU" which means The Czech Republic. No offense to them but they're not known for quality records. After playing a few songs I realized it's no better than any other over compressed trash that's released these days. I sold it for less than half I payed just to get rid of it. So, basically I share this guy's opinion. Lately all the releases are plagued with over driven sound that stops me from listening, even at lower volumes. Maybe it's my hearing that's to fault. Certainly I won't live another 50 years until they un re-master all this stuff. Oh well.

I'd heard that was the complaint for the 1971-05 set, and the reviews were positive for this later release.

Date: June 11, 2021 20:37

Maybe it's a matter of taste. The way I see it if you're willing to cut the master at Abbey Road why chose a hack company to press it. That's my first concern. Actually I'm very disappointed in almost every release by The Stones anymore. Sorry to say, believe me.

Date: June 12, 2021 01:29

frankotero
Maybe it's a matter of taste. The way I see it if you're willing to cut the master at Abbey Road why chose a hack company to press it. That's my first concern. Actually I'm very disappointed in almost every release by The Stones anymore. Sorry to say, believe me.

Here's an interesting article on the largest Czech vinyl producer...apparently the largest in the world, with a RS reference:

[www.theguardian.com]

Date: June 12, 2021 11:58

Thank you for the link. I just wish they could focus more on quality, but that would probably increase cost and hurt profits. Always the same story I suppose. It is what is.

Date: June 12, 2021 13:30

frankotero

I just wish they could focus more on quality, but that would probably increase cost and hurt profits.

The German HiFi-Magazine Audio wrote about the Vinyl-Edition of the 2016 Mono-Box in Audio 12/2016, p. 141 about GZ Media: "The Czechs can do everything from lousy to excellent when it comes to pressing quality. This time - hats off! - they did a particularly good job." and gave for the quality of the pressings 4.5 out of 5 stars. The by Audio (8/2018, p.118) tested edition of The Studio Albums Vinyl Collection 1971-2016 was pressed by MPO France. There was no further comment (or ranking) about the quality of the pressings except that they "do not run completely free of side noise and do offer above-average smooth running by today's standards".

Date: June 12, 2021 15:40

frankotero

I had the VL copy from this series.

Pressed by MPO France - [iorr.org] .

Date: June 12, 2021 19:44

I bought VL seperate, not in the box. Maybe there's a difference? Speaking of Czech pressings I'm playing Robert Plant's new one RSD 2021 right now and it's very good! So maybe I can lighten up on the Czechs.

Date: June 12, 2021 20:45

frankotero
I bought VL seperate, not in the box. Maybe there's a difference? Speaking of Czech pressings I'm playing Robert Plant's new one RSD 2021 right now and it's very good! So maybe I can lighten up on the Czechs.

You should. GZ Media is an institution when it comes to vinyl pressing. Never heard any complaints about the quality of their work smiling smiley

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: November 23, 2022 09:55

ironbelly
Did they correct Mixed Emotions on Steel Wheels?

On the LP from the Box 1971-2016 an alternative version that could not be found on any other releases was used.

Is this it? Is it on a bootleg in HiRes? Qobuz doesn't have it in the US.

It sure would be a nice get-well present for Jaap.

Re: 'The Studio Albums Collection 1971-1986'
Date: May 17, 2023 11:40

There's a Studio Albums Collection 1971-1986 on Japanese SHM-CD (2009 remaster) with release date 7-Jul-2023 - [www.Bravado.de] :

Sticky Fingers - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com] , [www.jpc.de]

Exile on Main St. - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com] , [www.jpc.de]

Goats Head Soup - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.fr] , [www.Fnac.com] , [www.jpc.de]

It's Only Rock 'n Roll - [www.Bravado.de], [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com] , [www.jpc.de]

Black and Blue - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com] , [www.jpc.de]

Some Girls - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com] , [www.jpc.de]

Emotional Rescue - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com] , [www.jpc.de]

Tattoo You - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com] , [www.jpc.de]

Undercover - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com] , [www.jpc.de]

Dirty Work - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com] , [www.jpc.de]

Faithfully reproduced miniature replicas in 5-inch paper sleeves with e.g. working zipper, postcards, inserts & stickers, lyric sheet, cover cut-outs, poster, red shrink wrapping.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-17 22:05 by Irix.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: May 17, 2023 13:23

Irix
There's a Studio Albums Collection 1971-1986 on Japanese SHM-CD (2009 remaster) with release date 7-Jul-2023 - [www.Bravado.de] :

Sticky Fingers - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com]

Exile on Main St. - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com]

Goats Head Soup - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.fr] , [www.Fnac.com]

It's Only Rock 'n Roll - [www.Bravado.de], [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com]

Black and Blue - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com]

Some Girls - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com]

Emotional Rescue - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com]

Tattoo You - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com]

Undercover - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com]

Dirty Work - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com]

Faithfully reproduced miniature replicas in 5-inch paper sleeves with e.g. working zipper, postcards, inserts & stickers, lyric sheet, cover cut-outs, poster, red shrink wrapping.
Thank you for info.
Just another money pumping. Though, one can call it a replacement for OOP European versions in super-jewel cases.
Well...

Date: May 17, 2023 14:53

ironbelly
Irix

Sticky Fingers - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com]

Exile on Main St. - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com]

Goats Head Soup - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.fr] , [www.Fnac.com]

It's Only Rock 'n Roll - [www.Bravado.de], [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com]

Black and Blue - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com]

Some Girls - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com]

Emotional Rescue - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com]

Tattoo You - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com]

Undercover - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com]

Dirty Work - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com]

Thank you for info.
Just another money pumping. Though, one can call it a replacement for OOP European versions in super-jewel cases.
Well...

oh no

Date: May 17, 2023 15:31

Probably from this series ( [www.cdjapan.co.jp] ) but incomplete, we miss Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, Bridges To Babylon, A Bigger Bang and Blue & Lonesome.

Release Date Japan: December 04, 2020

Description
Cardboard sleeve reissue from The Rolling Stones features SHM-CD format. HR cutting from 2011 DSD master, derived from the UK original analog master tapes. The mini LP faithfully replicates its UK first pressing LP. An obi faithfully replicates the obi with its Japanese first pressing LP. Comes with lyrics and a description. This series features the following titles: "Sticky Fingers," "Exile On Main St.," "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll," "Black And Blue," "Some Girls," "Emotional Rescue," "Tattoo You," "Undercover," "Dirty Work," "Steel Wheels," "Voodoo Lounge," "Bridges To Babylon," "A Bigger Bang," and "Blue & Lonesome."

Date: May 17, 2023 16:17

UrbanSteel
Probably from this series ( [www.cdjapan.co.jp] ) but incomplete, we miss Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, Bridges To Babylon, A Bigger Bang and Blue & Lonesome.

Release Date Japan: December 04, 2020

Description
Cardboard sleeve reissue from The Rolling Stones features SHM-CD format. HR cutting from 2011 DSD master, derived from the UK original analog master tapes. The mini LP faithfully replicates its UK first pressing LP. An obi faithfully replicates the obi with its Japanese first pressing LP. Comes with lyrics and a description. This series features the following titles: "Sticky Fingers," "Exile On Main St.," "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll," "Black And Blue," "Some Girls," "Emotional Rescue," "Tattoo You," "Undercover," "Dirty Work," "Steel Wheels," "Voodoo Lounge," "Bridges To Babylon," "A Bigger Bang," and "Blue & Lonesome."
No. The series you mentioned is from flat transfers
. The upcoming is 2009 remaster.

Date: May 17, 2023 16:29

Which one is better, the 2009 remasters or the 2011 DSD masters? TIA. smiling smiley

Date: May 17, 2023 17:14

UrbanSteel
Which one is better, the 2009 remasters or the 2011 DSD masters? TIA. smiling smiley

Those 2009 remasters are no good from audiophile point of view. They are loud and brickwalled. Technically you can listen to those without headache only in a noisy environment and/or using mobile device. I listen to those during the trips by trains or airplanes winking smiley.

Flat transfers (DSD 2011) are of their own league. You are getting what was recorded and approved for mastering. They are not mastered. And for some of them mastering can improve things.

As far as I know, the only discs from that set that got mixed reviews are Some Girls and Steel Wheels (post Steel Wheels albums came with 2009/2016 mastering anyway). The rest are highly valued by audiophiles. Although, regular users will say that there is no need to spend extra money because old-good Virgin remasters are perfectly OK in terms of 'sound quality to money' value. So, you know, it is all about your desires.

In any case the albums of The Rolling Stones are not candies for audiophiles.

BTW, somebody you know made a review of that series of flat transfers for FB group you are aware about in December 2021 winking smiley.

Date: May 17, 2023 18:12

ironbelly
UrbanSteel

Those 2009 remasters are no good from audiophile point of view. They are loud and brickwalled. Technically you can listen to those without headache only in a noisy environment and/or using mobile device. I listen to those during the trips by trains or airplanes winking smiley.

Flat transfers (DSD 2011) are of their own league. You are getting what was recorded and approved for mastering. They are not mastered. And for some of them mastering can improve things.

As far as I know, the only discs from that set that got mixed reviews are Some Girls and Steel Wheels (post Steel Wheels albums came with 2009/2016 mastering anyway). The rest are highly valued by audiophiles. Although, regular users will say that there is no need to spend extra money because old-good Virgin remasters are perfectly OK in terms of 'sound quality to money' value. So, you know, it is all about your desires.

BTW, somebody you know made a review of that series of flat transfers for FB group you are aware about in December 2021 winking smiley.

You've lost me...are these 'stamps' then or not?! tongue sticking out smiley

Date: May 17, 2023 19:56

treaclefingers
ironbelly
UrbanSteel

You've lost me...are these 'stamps' then or not?! tongue sticking out smiley

These newly released CDs are 'stamps' in their purest form.

Let's try this way.
Discs prepared from flat transfers are nicely sounding stamps.
Here is the list

Discs prepared from 2009 remaster - poorly sounding stamps. They are still nicely packed (like those compilations from 2019, you know, SHM-CDs Rewind, Sucking in the 70's, Made in the shade, Time waits for no one, Shicky fingers-spanish version) but they do not sound good.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: May 17, 2023 20:39

Wish you can just buy the box so I can keep all the Stones album I bought over the years in it.

Date: May 17, 2023 21:41

Hound Dog
Wish you can just buy the box so I can keep all the Stones album I bought over the years in it.
What kind of box do you need? For jewel cases this one is almost perfect
[www.amazon.es]
Up to 44 CDs in standard jewel cases.

For mini vinyl replicas you can get one from IKEA
[www.ikea.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 18 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1920
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home