Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 19 of 20
Re: 'The Studio Albums Vinyl Collection 1971-2016' - 15 June 2018
Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: May 17, 2023 22:22

For vinyl, like that one the set above comes in

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: May 17, 2023 22:31

Hound Dog
For vinyl, like that one the set above comes in
[www.hhv.de]

Re: 'The Studio Albums Collection 1971-1986'
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 17, 2023 23:15

ironbelly
treaclefingers
ironbelly
UrbanSteel
Which one is better, the 2009 remasters or the 2011 DSD masters? TIA. smiling smiley

Those 2009 remasters are no good from audiophile point of view. They are loud and brickwalled. Technically you can listen to those without headache only in a noisy environment and/or using mobile device. I listen to those during the trips by trains or airplanes winking smiley.

Flat transfers (DSD 2011) are of their own league. You are getting what was recorded and approved for mastering. They are not mastered. And for some of them mastering can improve things.

As far as I know, the only discs from that set that got mixed reviews are Some Girls and Steel Wheels (post Steel Wheels albums came with 2009/2016 mastering anyway). The rest are highly valued by audiophiles. Although, regular users will say that there is no need to spend extra money because old-good Virgin remasters are perfectly OK in terms of 'sound quality to money' value. So, you know, it is all about your desires.

In any case the albums of The Rolling Stones are not candies for audiophiles.

BTW, somebody you know made a review of that series of flat transfers for FB group you are aware about in December 2021 winking smiley.

You've lost me...are these 'stamps' then or not?! tongue sticking out smiley

These newly released CDs are 'stamps' in their purest form.

Let's try this way.
Discs prepared from flat transfers are nicely sounding stamps.
Here is the list

Discs prepared from 2009 remaster - poorly sounding stamps. They are still nicely packed (like those compilations from 2019, you know, SHM-CDs Rewind, Sucking in the 70's, Made in the shade, Time waits for no one, Shicky fingers-spanish version) but they do not sound good.

OH?!

Do you actually 'listen' to your stamps?! That would mean you take them out of their package! eye popping smiley

Date: May 18, 2023 10:40

treaclefingers
OH?!

Do you actually 'listen' to your stamps?! That would mean you take them out of their package! eye popping smiley
Yes, I do. Sometimes. The recent editions are in resealable plastic sleeves, so there is no big deal to take them out.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 18, 2023 10:58

The only issues with my 71 to 2016 box are that most the discs are a bit warped and many suffer from noticeable LF vinyl roar.

The music mastering is vey good when compared to most overcompresed modern offerings.

Date: May 19, 2023 14:32

Spud
The only issues with my 71 to 2016 box are that most the discs are a bit warped and many suffer from noticeable LF vinyl roar.

The music mastering is vey good when compared to most overcompresed modern offerings.

Vinyl Roar? I don't think I know what that is, but having said that, it sounds like a pretty big issue (and no one likes warped discs!)

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 19, 2023 15:15

treaclefingers

Vinyl Roar?

It probably means the so called low frequency rumble.

Date: May 19, 2023 15:27

No, rumble is different issue altogether and is a turntable problem

This is more of a cyclic LF "whooshing" sound, really audible only between tracks thankfully.

It can sometimes be an unfortunate side effect of half speed mastering but in this case I think its more of a pressing issue.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: May 19, 2023 16:49

Hmm I was hoping for a reprint of this boxset. Maybe also on colored vinyl like the Abkco set, when I saw this thread was kicked..

Date: May 19, 2023 18:11

ribbelchips
Hmm I was hoping for a reprint of this boxset. Maybe also on colored vinyl like the Abkco set, when I saw this thread was kicked..

It feels like this thing just finally sold out (is it even sold out?) but then I noticed it's been 5 years since it was released so there's hoping I guess.

The difference with the MONO box is that you can buy the albums individually half mastered so that would neutralize sales potential. I'd wager it'll be awhile before you see a new release of the box. Maybe AFTER they can include the 'new album', so...2030?

Date: May 21, 2023 00:29

Spud

This is more of a cyclic LF "whooshing" sound, really audible only between tracks thankfully.

It can sometimes be an unfortunate side effect of half speed mastering but in this case I think its more of a pressing issue.

SO...presuming one received a 'non-warped' and good pressing of these discs, would they be considered 'the best' version of the respective vinyl pressings for each, is it a case-by-case. I know there are the MFSL's to consider for Sticky and Some Girls. And is the Exile half-master from Abbey Roads the same as the box set or is this something different again?

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: June 7, 2023 10:18

CD SHM does not sell it in Spain and on any website because

Date: June 7, 2023 11:11

mick64
CD SHM does not sell it in Spain and on any website because
What do you mean by that? Did you check FNAC?
[www.fnac.es]

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: June 7, 2023 15:00

They don't sell it in Spain. neither by web nor anything in the fnac of spain

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: June 7, 2023 17:12

treaclefingers
ribbelchips

It feels like this thing just finally sold out (is it even sold out?) but then I noticed it's been 5 years since it was released so there's hoping I guess.

The difference with the MONO box is that you can buy the albums individually half mastered so that would neutralize sales potential. I'd wager it'll be awhile before you see a new release of the box. Maybe AFTER they can include the 'new album', so...2030?

Yeah I guess.. I bought some of the loose albums in the meanwhile, but they don't come with all the extra's. €35 for a Sticky Fingers without the zipper kinda feels like a ripoff. I bought Exile and it does not contain the postcards. And my Bridges to Babylon isn't a gatefold sad smiley And I heard Dirty Work is not wrapped in red foil and Emotional Rescue doesn't has it's poster... So i'd rather wait and buy a new reprinted boxset instead of spending a fortune on (in my opinion) incomplete loose releases. And the price for the complete (used) boxset went up pretty steep as well...

Date: June 7, 2023 17:18

mick64
They don't sell it in Spain. neither by web nor anything in the fnac of spain
Sorry, I was thinking about SHM-CDs from Decca-London period.
Are you talking about these new 10 SHM-CDs (from Sticky Finger to Dirty Work) that will be available on July 7? If yes, they are not listed on pre-sale yet.

If you want them REALLY BADLY just go to french side of FNAC or amazon and pre-order there. Otherwise, just wait patiently for another month winking smiley.

Date: June 9, 2023 10:47

treaclefingers
Spud

SO...presuming one received a 'non-warped' and good pressing of these discs, would they be considered 'the best' version of the respective vinyl pressings for each, is it a case-by-case. I know there are the MFSL's to consider for Sticky and Some Girls. And is the Exile half-master from Abbey Roads the same as the box set or is this something different again?

In my own opinion , the Abbey Road boxed set are probably the best digital remasters available on vinyl.

This largely because they aren't overcompressed and overly loud, with a less overtly impressive but more natural presentation.

Much depends on whether folks want to listen to music... or show off how much racket their fancy Hi Fi system can make grinning smiley

[Edited to add ...the first Abbey Road half speed Exile was a different beast.
More "in yer face" and not so much to my taste...

... and for all the pre digital albums, an early original analogue pressing wins every time. ]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-09 10:56 by Spud.

Date: June 9, 2023 15:43

ribbelchips
treaclefingers
ribbelchips

Yeah I guess.. I bought some of the loose albums in the meanwhile, but they don't come with all the extra's. €35 for a Sticky Fingers without the zipper kinda feels like a ripoff. I bought Exile and it does not contain the postcards. And my Bridges to Babylon isn't a gatefold sad smiley And I heard Dirty Work is not wrapped in red foil and Emotional Rescue doesn't has it's poster... So i'd rather wait and buy a new reprinted boxset instead of spending a fortune on (in my opinion) incomplete loose releases. And the price for the complete (used) boxset went up pretty steep as well...

Ha ha...you and I want the red cellophane, and the gatefold and the postcards! I'm just not sure you'd get enough people that would be able to move a new issue of boxsets...at least for awhile.

Date: July 2, 2023 23:52

Irix
There's a Studio Albums Collection 1971-1986 on Japanese SHM-CD (2009 remaster) with release date 7-Jul-2023 - [www.Bravado.de] :

Sticky Fingers - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com] , [www.jpc.de]

Exile on Main St. - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com] , [www.jpc.de]

Goats Head Soup - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.fr] , [www.Fnac.com] , [www.jpc.de]

It's Only Rock 'n Roll - [www.Bravado.de], [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com] , [www.jpc.de]

Black and Blue - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com] , [www.jpc.de]

Some Girls - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com] , [www.jpc.de]

Emotional Rescue - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com] , [www.jpc.de]

Tattoo You - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com] , [www.jpc.de]

Undercover - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com] , [www.jpc.de]

Dirty Work - [www.Bravado.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Fnac.com] , [www.jpc.de]

Faithfully reproduced miniature replicas in 5-inch paper sleeves with e.g. working zipper, postcards, inserts & stickers, lyric sheet, cover cut-outs, poster, red shrink wrapping.
Today I visited local FNAC and to my surprise there were six out of ten new SHM-CDs that supposed to be out on July 7, 2023. These were
Sticky Fingers UICY-79241K
Exile On Main Street UICY-79242K
It's Only Rock'nRoll UICY-79243K
Black And Blue UICY-79244K
Tattoo You UICY-79247K
Undercover UICY-79248K.
The rest were absent

The funny thing here is the catalog number. Because Sticky Fingers UICY-79241 (without letter K) corresponds to Japanese only SHM-CD that was made from flat transfer of the original analogue master tape (issued on December 2, 2020). The same case is for the other discs.
The question is: What will be on the discs for Europe - flat transfers or 2009 remaster?
Unfortunately it is not possible to figure it out from the outside and my curiosity did not override my greed in this case.

Anyway, if they will give flat transfers indeed it would be a huge step. Otherwise UICY-7924x and UICY-7924xK case will be a huge mess. It seems that other than the second OBI the package is the same.

Date: July 3, 2023 10:31

treaclefingers
ribbelchips
treaclefingers
ribbelchips

Ha ha...you and I want the red cellophane, and the gatefold and the postcards! I'm just not sure you'd get enough people that would be able to move a new issue of boxsets...at least for awhile.

Just how many sets of Exile postcards do folks want ?

I must have half a dozen grinning smiley

I get that folks are into collecting stuff...but if I buy yet another version of this or that album...it's because I'm hoping that it's going to sound especially good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-03 10:35 by Spud.

Posted by: NathanLaze ()
Date: July 3, 2023 11:08

are "flat transfers" really the case, then ? hopefully everybody has an equalizer on his music system so it's not a big deal turning "2009 remaster" to "flat transfer" using some frequency gain controls smiling bouncing smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-03 11:16 by NathanLaze.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 3, 2023 11:45

NathanLaze

it's not a big deal turning "2009 remaster" to "flat transfer" using some frequency gain controls

Unfortunately, you cannot solve the 2009 brickwalled mastering - where all instruments have the same volume and where's almost zero dynamic range - via equalization (EQ).

Date: July 3, 2023 11:56

NathanLaze
are "flat transfers" really the case, then ? hopefully everybody has an equalizer on his music system so it's not a big deal turning "2009 remaster" to "flat transfer" using some frequency gain controls smiling bouncing smiley
I have no idea if those CDs with additional letter K in catalog number will be with 'flat transfer'. I already bought Japanese editions form 2020 (flat transfers) and have no will to shell off 26€ out of curiosity. I am just saying it could be a big mess if they will issue CDs with the same package and with the same catalog number + K but with different mastering.
According to the earlier reports this set suppose to be with 2009 remaster. But you newer know. Guess we should wait another week to figure out.
Regarding 'not a big deal turning "2009 remaster" to "flat transfer" using some frequency gain controls' - irix told you right. You can not turn the tide. The damage was done and you can not remove it by EQ only.

Date: July 3, 2023 15:41

Irix
NathanLaze

it's not a big deal turning "2009 remaster" to "flat transfer" using some frequency gain controls

Unfortunately, you cannot solve the 2009 brickwalled mastering - where all instruments have the same volume and where's almost zero dynamic range - via equalization (EQ).

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Jalfstra ()
Date: December 19, 2023 17:05

ironbelly
NathanLaze
I have no idea if those CDs with additional letter K in catalog number will be with 'flat transfer'. I already bought Japanese editions form 2020 (flat transfers) and have no will to shell off 26€ out of curiosity. I am just saying it could be a big mess if they will issue CDs with the same package and with the same catalog number + K but with different mastering.
According to the earlier reports this set suppose to be with 2009 remaster. But you newer know. Guess we should wait another week to figure out.
Regarding 'not a big deal turning "2009 remaster" to "flat transfer" using some frequency gain controls' - irix told you right. You can not turn the tide. The damage was done and you can not remove it by EQ only.

And? Are they flat transfers? They're pretty cheap right now. Some Girls and Emotional Rescue cost like €9 now.. I'm willing to buy these albums, but if they sound the same as the brickwalled Universal ones, I'll pass.

Date: December 19, 2023 17:40

Jalfstra
ironbelly
NathanLaze

And? Are they flat transfers? They're pretty cheap right now. Some Girls and Emotional Rescue cost like €9 now.. I'm willing to buy these albums, but if they sound the same as the brickwalled Universal ones, I'll pass.
No, these recent editions are not flat transfers.
They made a trick. Packaging is almost identical to Japanese 'flat transfer' editions. The CDs are based on 2009/2010 UM remasters. I.e., brickwalled. Stay away. There is nothing special aside of fancy package.

Date: December 23, 2023 04:32

So when do we predict the new box set will come out? Before or after the next album?

1971-2023, or 1971-2025?

Date: December 23, 2023 22:18

treaclefingers
So when do we predict the new box set will come out? Before or after the next album?

1971-2023, or 1971-2025?
Does it really matter? You'll purchase both winking smiley.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: December 23, 2023 23:47

ironbelly
treaclefingers

1971-2023, or 1971-2025?

So it does matter: the question is whether to buy one or two Box sets.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: December 23, 2023 23:50

Ricky
ironbelly
treaclefingers

1971-2023, or 1971-2025?

So it does matter: the question is whether to buy one or two Box sets.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Merry Christmas, to me!

I can't do it again...I just can't.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 19 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2406
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home