Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Rolling Stones -Future
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 30, 2017 06:23

IanBillen

This UK Tour I keep hearing about? Like what is that based on? I think that is all wishful thinking. I think they will hit The States next tour in support or somewhat in conjunction with an album doing the UK (although the UK will certainly be the candidate to follow).

Where have you been Ian? Seems you're a bit out of the loop as a UK Tour is all but officially confirmed - sites have already been chosen!
Here's the thread you should read to catch up with all the news and speculation.

2018 Tour of UK

As for the new album, afraid the news is not so good with that at this point.

According to trustworthy and reliable mpj200:

"But the album seems to be really coming along slowly. Very little talk of it on this tour. Shows in UK look good, health to all pending.
Then maybe the US if they are still rolling. But I'm suspect about them finishing this record. Time will tell".

So the good news is UK tour is almost a given (health pending), but the bad news is no progress on new album, and a chance of it never happening at all.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: October 30, 2017 06:46

Hairball
IanBillen

This UK Tour I keep hearing about? Like what is that based on? I think that is all wishful thinking. I think they will hit The States next tour in support or somewhat in conjunction with an album doing the UK (although the UK will certainly be the candidate to follow).

Where have you been Ian? Seems you're a bit out of the loop as a UK Tour is all but officially confirmed - sites have already been chosen!
Here's the thread you should read to catch up with all the news and speculation.

2018 Tour of UK

"But the album seems to be really coming along slowly. Very little talk of it on this tour. Shows in UK look good, health to all pending.
Then maybe the US if they are still rolling. But I'm suspect about them finishing this record. Time will tell".

So the good news is UK tour is almost a given (health pending), but the bad news is no progress on new album, and a chance of it never happening at all.

I have heard about the supposed UK tour like crazy here ..sure..but only 'here' from people but I have saw nothing official or of any substance. Im not saying they wont tour the UK but I'm thinking
US first

Date: October 30, 2017 07:15

IanBillen
Hairball
IanBillen

2018 Tour of UK

I have heard about the supposed UK tour like crazy here ..sure..but only 'here' from people but I have saw nothing official or of any substance. Im not saying they wont tour the UK but I'm thinking
US first

As much as I would like to see them come back to the US someday, there's really no question that the UK should be (and will be) the Stones' #1 priority.
If you recall, when they announced the No Filter tour, they also said:

“Sorry to our UK fans there are no UK dates on this run, due to lack of available venues because of sporting fixtures,” the band said on Twitter. “Hope to be here in 2018.”

It's unrealistic to think they would come back to the US before playing dates in the UK first.

Posted by: MidnightGambler ()
Date: October 30, 2017 08:43

I totally agree, at 200% with what wrote Hairball when he writes the following : "Just wrote this in another thread, but the last great shows were the 50 and Counting with Mick Taylor".

I had the chance to see them twice in 2012, Trabendo (without Mick Taylor) and O2 first night, 4 times in 2013 with Mick Taylor (LA first night, Oakland, San Jose, Hyde Park 2), 4 times in 2014 with Mick Taylor (Zurich, Berlin, Paris, Düsseldorf), 3 times in 2015 (Minneapolis, Dallas, Nashville), I was in Cuba in 2016, then I saw the last 3 Paris concerts that month for the No Filter Tour, and without any hesitation, the best shows were 2012 / 2013 with Mick Taylor, with maybe a preference for the Midnight Rambler version they played in San Jose in may 2013, it was just amazing.

Let's face it, now Keith has difficulties to play solos (Sympathy is a shame) and I noticed in Paris than now, before starting numbers like IORR, Sugar or Shelter, Keith looks at his fingers on the guitar in order to check they are at the right place.

Concerning future of the Rolling Stones, even if I am now more than fed up with that set list which is nearly the same since 1989 / 1990 with songs like IORR, Dice, SFTD, Always Get and Shelter that they should stop playing on stage, I am absolutely (and unfortunately) sure, that if they play UK next year (which is highly probable), they won't change ANYTHING, because I have now understood that they can't. They can't because they don't want. This would be too much work to rehearse new songs and I think, they are lazy....

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 30, 2017 10:13

The Stones haven't played this well like on the NO FILTER tour (I attended 6 shows) since the 2003's Licks tour I saw. To me, Bang, 50, & 14 (didn't see Zip) all come way, WAY behind.

So concerning their future: DO keep on rolling, I'd say.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 30, 2017 15:31

MidnightGambler
I totally agree, at 200% with what wrote Hairball when he writes the following : "Just wrote this in another thread, but the last great shows were the 50 and Counting with Mick Taylor".

I had the chance to see them twice in 2012, Trabendo (without Mick Taylor) and O2 first night, 4 times in 2013 with Mick Taylor (LA first night, Oakland, San Jose, Hyde Park 2), 4 times in 2014 with Mick Taylor (Zurich, Berlin, Paris, Düsseldorf), 3 times in 2015 (Minneapolis, Dallas, Nashville), I was in Cuba in 2016, then I saw the last 3 Paris concerts that month for the No Filter Tour, and without any hesitation, the best shows were 2012 / 2013 with Mick Taylor, with maybe a preference for the Midnight Rambler version they played in San Jose in may 2013, it was just amazing.

Let's face it, now Keith has difficulties to play solos (Sympathy is a shame) and I noticed in Paris than now, before starting numbers like IORR, Sugar or Shelter, Keith looks at his fingers on the guitar in order to check they are at the right place.

Concerning future of the Rolling Stones, even if I am now more than fed up with that set list which is nearly the same since 1989 / 1990 with songs like IORR, Dice, SFTD, Always Get and Shelter that they should stop playing on stage, I am absolutely (and unfortunately) sure, that if they play UK next year (which is highly probable), they won't change ANYTHING, because I have now understood that they can't. They can't because they don't want. This would be too much work to rehearse new songs and I think, they are lazy....

Too true! "They can't because they don't want". Setlists with much lesser hits and far more "obscurities" = smaller venues. Lesser income. = More shows needed to reach the same level of income. More rehearsals. = More work for the same income. NO! That seems to be their way of thinking. Honestly, I can't blame them for that. Not now. Not at their age.

It would have been interesting to see the Fonda Theatre setlist (Sticky Fingers Live plus other rarities) transferred to the stadium stages. Lesser ticket sales? Disappointed concertgoers because of all the major hits and warhorses absent? We'll never know.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 30, 2017 15:50

MidnightGambler

To each is own I say. At this juncture I'm not going to be swayed by someone stating what they feel to be true because that's their own opinion. I've seen Taylor 2013(Boston) and Buffalo 2015, happy to see any Stones show since 2012 they are all meaningful in their own way.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 30, 2017 18:42

Every Tour is becoming the 'best since....' Remember when every new album was the'best since Exile', but it wasn't.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 30, 2017 19:40

24FPS
Every Tour is becoming the 'best since....' Remember when every new album was the'best since Exile', but it wasn't.

Nope; not to me... I call it as I see it.

But point taken (and for the record: not taken personally - I just wanted to add this, from my own personal perspective.)

Date: October 30, 2017 19:49

24FPS

That's because certain people want it to be "best since", based purely on wishful thinking, not on facts.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 30, 2017 19:51

retired_dog
24FPS

That's because certain people want it to be "best since", based purely on wishful thinking, not on facts.

Recent tour has been very good compared to the "Bigger Bang Tour", which musically was bad.

Date: October 30, 2017 22:28

mtaylor
retired_dog
24FPS

Recent tour has been very good compared to the "Bigger Bang Tour", which musically was bad.

It was a lot better than expected by many. If it was better than the ABB Tour, I don't really know. I remember reading orgiastic reviews even back then, while I felt it was a downslide compared to Licks, at least it was very uneven for several reasons, Keith's "accident" being just one.

Whatever, a large portion of the setlist remains unchanged since 2012, and it's stuff they've play at every show since, oh, at least 1989, so it's no wonder that there's enough routine not to disappoint with these "warhorses". But I admit that the blues tracks sounded really good and even some of the one-offs were played with confidence, like Heartbreaker or Rainbow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-30 22:36 by retired_dog.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 30, 2017 22:46

retired_dog
mtaylor
retired_dog
24FPS

It was a lot better than expected by many. If it was better than the ABB Tour, I don't really know. I remember reading orgiastic reviews even back then, while I felt it was a downslide compared to Licks, at least it was very uneven for several reasons, Keith's "accident" being just one.

The ABB tour was inconsistent. For instance the Radio City Hall show in 2006 was really weak, by the same token (based on recording) I can't say the Hamburg show this year was much better. There were also some good shows on the ABB tour, like the O2 shows in 2007, which IMO was more exciting than any show this year. The difference since 2007 is mostly the slower tempos and Mick's somewhat more nasal voice.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: October 30, 2017 22:52

My impression is that No Filter gigs were, more or less, commensurate with their performances of 14 On Fire tour. Which means really satisfying and powerful gigs, in my ears.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: October 30, 2017 23:04

corriecas
StonedInTokyo
Let's be honest and objective here, it's time to call it a day. Schedule a 15 date summer farewell tour for Jun-Aug 2018 giving us an opportunity to goodbye.

JUN 2018: JAPAN (2 DATES)
JUL 2018: SOUTH AMERICA (2 DATES)
JUL 2018: NORTH AMERICA (4 DATES)
AUG 2018: EUROPE (2 DATES)
AUG 2018: UK (5 DATES)[/quot

Hahaha.take more pills.please.
Jeroen

Lets be sensible for a moment, they just did Europe so no Europe next year so put 2 Canada and 4 USA dates in please .

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 30, 2017 23:44

The lads have been busy since they hit 50 in 2012. A rough count of the concerts shows this (approx)...

2012 - Paris 3; London 2; New York area 4

2013 - USA 15; Canada 3; UK 3

2014 - Aus / NZ 9; Europe (not UK) 14

2015 - USA 14; Canada 1

2016 - South America 14

2017 - Europe (not UK) 14

So, not counting club gigs, there have been around 96 shows. The US has been well served with 33 shows and the UK has had 5,including Glastonbury and Hyde Park. I think the UK is due. Canada could use a few too - but I doubt we’ll see them back. (I’m sure if I messed up the stats I’ll hear about it!)

Date: October 30, 2017 23:58

Hairball
IanBillen

2018 Tour of UK

I understand ..but actually there would be no reason to talk much about it while on tour. They had a live segment to put their concentration and focus into. One project at a time is how it goes with them ...especially now as was stated.

As far as the album coming along 'slowly' ... If it were any slower it would be at a complete stand still lsmiling smiley lol.

Hopefully they will knuckle down and get to more solid work on it soon. My guess is by very early next summer (June) or real late spring (May) the album will be all / 100-% completed (it BETTER be lol).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-30 23:59 by IanBillen.

Date: October 31, 2017 04:12

IanBillen
Hairball
IanBillen

2018 Tour of UK

I understand ..but actually there would be no reason to talk much about it while on tour. They had a live segment to put their concentration and focus into. One project at a time is how it goes with them ...especially now as was stated.

As far as the album coming along 'slowly' ... If it were any slower it would be at a complete stand still lsmiling smiley lol.

Hopefully they will knuckle down and get to more solid work on it soon. My guess is by very early next summer (June) or real late spring (May) the album will be all / 100-% completed (it BETTER be lol).

Ian are you ok? You've replied to that same quote twice now!!! smiling smiley

Here is your first reply as a reminder:

"I have heard about the supposed UK tour like crazy here ..sure..but only 'here' from people but I have saw nothing official or of any substance. Im not saying they wont tour the UK but I'm thinking US first".

And here was my reply to to that in case you missed it:

As much as I would like to see them come back to the US someday, there's really no question that the UK should be (and will be) the Stones' #1 priority.

“Sorry to our UK fans there are no UK dates on this run, due to lack of available venues because of sporting fixtures,” the band said on Twitter. “Hope to be here in 2018.”

It's unrealistic to think they would come back to the US before playing dates in the UK first."

So now that we're all caught up and back on the same page (hopefully), lets get back to the UK Tour 2018.
Legendary insider heinz57 whose in the same insider league as mpj200 and is also very trustworthy and reliable has just reported:

"I'm hearing that the tour will start in May"

So there you have it - 99.999% positive the tour is happening and starting in May - health pending. thumbs up

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 31, 2017 04:28

UK potentially starting in May would be perfect.
Passport's ready and one of my personal Rolling Stones bucket list items still remaining. Would love to see another NA tour after that.. perhaps in the fall cool smiley

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: October 31, 2017 18:06

I love the band more than life, but can't pay to hear Brown Sugar, IORR, TD, etc., again.

Keep a few warhorses(SFM, JJF, whatever...) but sneak in a few good older songs (i.e., Monkey Man, Love is Strong, Anybody Seen My Baby....) still recognizable by the general public.

Top it off with two or three new ones like they did with OMS and D&G which I loved.

Date: October 31, 2017 18:26

beachbreak
I love the band more than life, but can't pay to hear Brown Sugar, IORR, TD, etc., again.

Keep a few warhorses(SFM, JJF, whatever...) but sneak in a few good older songs (i.e., Monkey Man, Love is Strong, Anybody Seen My Baby....) still recognizable by the general public.

Top it off with two or three new ones like they did with OMS and D&G which I loved.

I fully agree with you, there are only 3 essential warhorses I want to hear every show:

Street Fighting Man
Jumping Jack Flash
Brown Sugar

3 they could rotate in and out of the set:

Start Me Up
Sympathy for The Devil
You Can't Always Get What You Want

5 which I never want to hear again since they are worn out and lifeless:

Honky Tonk Women
It's Only Rock N Roll
Gimme Shelter
Satisfaction
Miss You

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-31 18:29 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: October 31, 2017 18:53

I suspect the show they have been playing will be the show they continue to play at any shows in the future.....

Date: October 31, 2017 19:55

TheBlockbuster
beachbreak

I fully agree with you, there are only 3 essential warhorses I want to hear every show:

Street Fighting Man
Jumping Jack Flash
Brown Sugar

Start Me Up
Sympathy for The Devil

Honky Tonk Women
It's Only Rock N Roll
Gimme Shelter
Satisfaction
Miss You

A latter day Stones show should always include Midnight Rambler imo.
Even if they screw parts of it up and/or slow it down too much, it's long enough and incorporates enough tempo changes, etc., that the pros usually outweigh the cons.
There's alot of improvization involved, so when Keith or Ronnie veers off with a different guitar part, it usually enhances the tune rather than screwing it up (see Sympathy solo).
And when it's a sizzling perfect performance, it's a tour de force - each band member get's a bit of the spotlight with their unique contributions.

As for your wish lists above - here's mine:

Necessities: JJF, SFM, YCAGWYW, Gimme Shleter, Satisfaction, Happy....and yes even *Miss you - all make for a great Stones show.
(*Miss You = optional beer run/piss break, or to simply enjoy and reflect on the nostalgic late '70's and one of their last #1 US hits - or maybe it is their last #1 US hit?)

Rotate: HTW, Tumbling Dice, IORR, Brown Sugar,Sympathy.

Warhorses I never want to hear again:
Can't really think of any ...but lets go with the crowd pleasing Start Me up - I can easily live without it, but again it does have some nostalgia attached taking me back to '81 Tattoo You and those first shows I saw.

Throw in some more of the lesser known and lesser played (but still great tunes) from '63 - '81, and we might have a show for the history books.

Will all of these wishes ever happen? No.
Was writing all this a waste of my time? Probably. winking smiley

Date: October 31, 2017 20:49

Never hear GS again! eye popping smiley

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 31, 2017 21:53

I'm one of the few who always likes hearing Tumbling Dice, I guess.

Date: November 1, 2017 00:03

Hairball
TheBlockbuster
beachbreak

Street Fighting Man
Jumping Jack Flash
Brown Sugar

Start Me Up
Sympathy for The Devil

Honky Tonk Women
It's Only Rock N Roll
Gimme Shelter
Satisfaction
Miss You

Even if they screw parts of it up and/or slow it down too much, it's long enough and incorporates enough tempo changes, etc., that the pros usually outweigh the cons.
There's alot of improvization involved, so when Keith or Ronnie veers off with a different guitar part, it usually enhances the tune rather than screwing it up (see Sympathy solo).
And when it's a sizzling perfect performance, it's a tour de force - each band member get's a bit of the spotlight with their unique contributions.

Necessities: JJF, SFM, YCAGWYW, Gimme Shleter, Satisfaction, Happy....and yes even *Miss you - all make for a great Stones show.
(*Miss You = optional beer run/piss break, or to simply enjoy and reflect on the nostalgic late '70's and one of their last #1 US hits - or maybe it is their last #1 US hit?)

Can't really think of any ...but lets go with the crowd pleasing Start Me up - I can easily live without it, but again it does have some nostalgia attached taking me back to '81 Tattoo You and those first shows I saw.

Throw in some more of the lesser known and lesser played (but still great tunes) from '63 - '81, and we might have a show for the history books.

Midnight Rambler is great but isn't it time to replace it with CYHMK now?

Miss You is a good piss break, but it seems Keith is a bit bored with playing it. A more guitar-driven version would be more than welcome though.

YCAGWYW is always nice but do we need it every show? I can recall many great concerts without it. For instance the show at Cirkus in Stockholm 2003 was (based on bootleg) shockingly great, and they didn't play YCAGWYW, GS or Satisfaction. smiling smiley

DandelionPowderman

Maybe ''never need to hear it'' again is a better description, I just don't think it has been very enjoyable since the Licks-tour, it often has this ''wobbly'' feel to it nowadays.

Date: November 1, 2017 00:25

TheBlockbuster
Hairball
TheBlockbuster
beachbreak

Street Fighting Man
Jumping Jack Flash
Brown Sugar

Start Me Up
Sympathy for The Devil

Honky Tonk Women
It's Only Rock N Roll
Gimme Shelter
Satisfaction
Miss You

Midnight Rambler is great but isn't it time to replace it with CYHMK now?

Miss You is a good piss break, but it seems Keith is a bit bored with playing it. A more guitar-driven version would be more than welcome though.

YCAGWYW is always nice but do we need it every show? I can recall many great concerts without it. For instance the show at Cirkus in Stockholm 2003 was (based on bootleg) shockingly great, and they didn't play YCAGWYW, GS or Satisfaction. smiling smiley

DandelionPowderman

Maybe ''never need to hear it'' again is a better description, I just don't think it has been very enjoyable since the Licks-tour, it often has this ''wobbly'' feel to it nowadays.

Unless Mick Taylor is playing on CYHMK, I can live without it and much prefer the interplay of the band on Midnight Rambler - just a personal preference.

As for YCAGWYW,I was mainly referring to arena/stadium shows - it's a great tune when played in giant settings. I was at the Stockholm Cirkus show, and YCAGWYW was not missed...there were enough "rarities" to make it a phenomenal show. Midnight Rambler wasn't played there either!

As for Gimme Shelter, you have a valid point, yet it seems better now than it was when Lisa was singing the backup and solo. The new gal has brought it back down to earth, and all of the operatic circus-like wailings from Lisa are thankfully a thing of the past. Again, just a personal preference. Then there's Keith who fails to play the solo properly, but what else is new - the same can be said for almost every tune he tries to play a solo on these days (again see Sympathy).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-01 00:26 by Hairball.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: November 1, 2017 00:32

"Midnight Rambler is great but isn't it time to replace it with CYHMK now?"

I say a loud "No". I would like to hear CYHMK more often (as other... 25 Stones songs!), but need MR on EVERY gig.

"Miss You is a good piss break, but it seems Keith is a bit bored with playing it. A more guitar-driven version would be more than welcome though".

Yes, but if Keith needs an "unofficial" break, Miss you is very useful for him.

"YCAGWYW is always nice but do we need it every show?"

Yes.

And hands off GS, please...

Date: November 1, 2017 05:57

Hairball
IanBillen
Hairball
IanBillen

2018 Tour of UK

Ian are you ok? You've replied to that same quote twice now!!! smiling smiley

Here is your first reply as a reminder:

"I have heard about the supposed UK tour like crazy here ..sure..but only 'here' from people but I have saw nothing official or of any substance. Im not saying they wont tour the UK but I'm thinking US first".

And here was my reply to to that in case you missed it:

It's unrealistic to think they would come back to the US before playing dates in the UK first."

So now that we're all caught up and back on the same page (hopefully), lets get back to the UK Tour 2018.
Legendary insider heinz57 whose in the same insider league as mpj200 and is also very trustworthy and reliable has just reported:

"I'm hearing that the tour will start in May"

So there you have it - 99.999% positive the tour is happening and starting in May - health pending. thumbs up

Howdy Guy (or Gal).

Been in the studio myself until pretty late most of the time so I have been a little hit and miss here... my bad.

Ok this UK tour... Well why would it be unrealistic they pick the US first?.
They can tour anywhere .. At any time. And that would be no continuation of No Filter... bc No Filter would have been the year before.

Sure they said they 'HOPE' to be in the UK in 2018 but if thats all we have to go on thats not a whole lot. They could still do the UK in the Fall and tour the US in summer ...

Either way .. maybe touring the US in the early fall would be really cool.

Date: November 1, 2017 06:17

IanBillen
Howdy Guy (or Gal)
Hello Ian.

That would be Sir to you...make that Sir Hairball lol.winking smiley

There's more than just the word "HOPE" involved for a UK tour. Yes it's mostly speculation, but everything is pointing in that direction. There are multiple inside sources who have leaked info. (starting in May, site's already chosen, etc.), and even bv has strongly hinted that it's happening. Not one person - from the Stones to anybody who has info - has mentioned the US except for the trustworthy mpj200 who said there's a possibilty of a return to the US AFTER the UK tour. And that return to the US all hinges on a new album which has gone nowhere since Mick and Keith butted heads over Getta Grip.

That being said, yes it would be cool if they toured the US in the early Fall prior to the UK, but chances of that are slim to none.
They had trouble even selling out the last two Vegas shows, and even after the first one was cancelled there were still tickets avialble for the final night. If they can't sell out Vegas, they'll have a hard time selling out anywhere else. Many casual fans would think "Oh no, not them again", and with the outrageous prices, many arenas/stadiums would possibly only be half full.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-01 06:19 by Hairball.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1769
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home