Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3738394041424344454647...LastNext
Current Page: 42 of 127
Re: The Rolling Stones 2018 tour rumours - UK and more
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 1, 2018 00:23

Kurt
Healy52003
announce the tour please

u2 have announced there full SOE tour dates for 2018

U2 is notorious for taking their fans' ticket money and holding it for 9-12 months before show day. No thanks. I love the fact that the Stones have never done that.

All in good time.

Yes they have, It was often quite normal for a European tour in the 90s and indeed up to 2006 to be confirmed and go on sale in late November/early December for shows which took place throughout the following summer. Its certainly not the case in other markets but for many Euro stadium tours it was a long wait.

And not forgetting the 1998 UK shows which went on sale in December 1997, were postponed in June 1998 for somewhat dubious 'tax' reasons and which eventually took place in June 1999.

Personally it doesnt bother me that the shows are announced a long time in advance. In fact, I think its a good thing. It makes it easier to plan holidays that dont involve travelling to concerts.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 1, 2018 01:32

DandelionPowderman
MisterDDDD
DandelionPowderman
$800 for seats in the back?? That must be some kind of a record! And face value, too? That's robbery. Is it true?

It's not cheap over here, either, but you'll get cheap seats for $125..

Not true.
Lower bowl seats were $750 up front and $450 in the back.
Course, by the time HB finishes whining about the slightly abbreviated (FANTASTIC) show it'll be $1000 a seat and half empty..winking smiley

From their site..
OCT 22, 2016
THE ROLLING STONES

TIME
8:00PM / Doors 6:30PM
ON SALE
Buy Tickets Now
TICKET PRICES
$75.00 - $750.00
PURCHASE
PARKING

smoking smiley

ALL floor seats - including back of the floor - were $750 face value PLUS TICKETMASTER FEES not to mention Las Vegas taxes making it closer to $800 if not more than $800. Yes it is robbery.

MisterDDDD
Show was a sell out.
Very few empty seats in the fantastic new stadium (not a bad seat in it).

The show was NOT sold out and it never was - tickets were available the day of show online AND at the box office.
People were able to exchange their cancelled show tix for the final show because there were quite a few unsold ones left that they didn't know what to do with - hence the drastic price drops on stubhub.
Nearly the entire row on the floor where we were sitting was empty.

And sometime after tix went on sale (which were initially very poor due to the outrageous prices), there was a price drop at several levels - I know this because I was checking off and on prior to going to Vegas. Still, they didn't sell out - ever.

MisterDDDD
Hairball
While it was one of the least memorable shows I've ever seen due to the short setlist and Mick being sick, I can't really complain at that price

Really??
You've done nothing but..

I speak - not complain- for the common fans who were charged outrageous prices for a subpar show.
As I said in my original post "for some of those who paid the full face value expecting a full on Stones show, can't help feeling sorry for them".
Of course you're not one of those as you never have a critical opinion and love everything they've ever done no matter how bad it might be - sort of like the unconditional love that a mother has for her children.

PS - Yes it is a fantastic new arena (not stadium). Saw Roger Waters there back in June and he put on a proper full length show with all the sensory overload he's know for!
I did hear some complaints from those in the upper bowl (at both shows) that it's very steep and claustrophobic, and that the sound wasn't optimum, so if you're afraid of heights might want to think twice

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-01 01:37 by Hairball.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 1, 2018 02:37

Gazza
Kurt
Healy52003
announce the tour please

u2 have announced there full SOE tour dates for 2018

U2 is notorious for taking their fans' ticket money and holding it for 9-12 months before show day. No thanks. I love the fact that the Stones have never done that.

All in good time.

Yes they have, It was often quite normal for a European tour in the 90s and indeed up to 2006 to be confirmed and go on sale in late November/early December for shows which took place throughout the following summer. Its certainly not the case in other markets but for many Euro stadium tours it was a long wait.

And not forgetting the 1998 UK shows which went on sale in December 1997, were postponed in June 1998 for somewhat dubious 'tax' reasons and which eventually took place in June 1999.

Personally it doesnt bother me that the shows are announced a long time in advance. In fact, I think its a good thing. It makes it easier to plan holidays that dont involve travelling to concerts.

Indeed the Stones have done that. Keith talked about it in FORBES after the 1989-90 tour. "High interest accounts" he stated.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 1, 2018 02:43

I saw something today that showed Tuesday and Saturday, June 19th and 23rd, I think, about Twickenham being booked for the Stones and then some rugby match in October? But that the Stones are the only music booked so far.

I haven't seen enough in this thread if anyone has noticed that. I wish I could remember where it was. It was on Twitter I think.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 1, 2018 02:53

Artist: The Rolling Stones
Venue: Las Vegas, NV – T-Mobile Arena
Date: Oct. 22nd, 2016
Gross Sales: $7,047,048
Attendance/Capacity: 14,133 / 14,133
Ticket Prices: $750, $450, $150, $39.50

[www.reviewjournal.com]

Date: February 1, 2018 04:25

I don't see the stats you posted anywhere in that link - just a fluff review.
"Jagger showed no signs of any throat ailments on this night"
Uhhh ok - thats why Keith did a three song set, the show was shortened to 18 tunes, and the backup singers covered Mick all night.

But back to the supposed sellout.
If you recall, there were even conspiracy theories being thrown about regarding the first show cancellation due to the poor sales of the Saturday show.

Posted by ifucantrockme the evening of the cancelled show - October 18, 2016 09:17PM:

ifucantrockme
The conspiracy theory in me says that Mick isn't sick, but this is the result of poor ticket sales for Saturday. I think they are banking on the fact that many people already traveled to Vegas and will extend their stay and buy tickets for Saturday. That would also explain why this poor selling Saturday show has not been flexed or excessively lucky dipped. Otherwise cancel both shows now so people who have not yet traveled can change their plans.

While that theory is a bunch of balderdash, it clearly shows how poor the show on the 22nd was selling, and the lack of sales was a major discussion point leading up to both shows.
While official tickets were still readily available the day of the show both online and at the box office, could it have actually sold out by showtime?
I suppose it could have, but something tells me those stats have been buffered to make it seem that way - how else can all the empty seats be explained?

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: February 1, 2018 04:58

I was at the Vegas show, and had purchased 2 seats for the 19th and a single for the 22nd, all face-value lower bowl for $450 plus fees. A good chunk of change for me, and I'm sure for many...

Luckily, my money is mine to spend as I wish, and I've wasted lots over the years! You'll never hear me say I wasted a penny on The Stones!

I do not believe there were straight ticket exchanges available for that show. I was not allowed to do so on Friday, 21st October, 2016 at the T-Mobile Arena box office. I had to get a refund on my 3 seats for the 2 gigs, and then straight-out buy 3 seats together for Saturday the 22nd. Which means until the refund cleared on my card, I was in for 3 grand...

It's only rock'n'roll! I didn't fly to Vegas to decide not to see The Rolling Stones. My disappointment at the cancellation of the Wednesday show was as great as anyone. So instead of seeing them twice more, and taking my childhood bud now living in Vegas, I took the plunge and he and I took his wife along. He and his wife had never seen The Stones, and they were duly impressed, not noticing Jagger recovering, as was noticeable to me and plainly obvious in the vids of the show.

Life is simply yes or no decisions when you get down to it. I'm thinking most folks on IORR wanna say yes, but there's always more involved in leading up to the decision...

Anyways, here's hoping The Stones do shows in 2018 on Planet Earth, and I can get to at least one more!

Date: February 1, 2018 05:13

TKinOH
I was at the Vegas show, and had purchased 2 seats for the 19th and a single for the 22nd, all face-value lower bowl for $450 plus fees. A good chunk of change for me, and I'm sure for many...

Luckily, my money is mine to spend as I wish, and I've wasted lots over the years! You'll never hear me say I wasted a penny on The Stones!

I do not believe there were straight ticket exchanges available for that show. I was not allowed to do so on Friday, 21st October, 2016 at the T-Mobile Arena box office. I had to get a refund on my 3 seats for the 2 gigs, and then straight-out buy 3 seats together for Saturday the 22nd. Which means until the refund cleared on my card, I was in for 3 grand...

It's only rock'n'roll! I didn't fly to Vegas to decide not to see The Rolling Stones. My disappointment at the cancellation of the Wednesday show was as great as anyone. So instead of seeing them twice more, and taking my childhood bud now living in Vegas, I took the plunge and he and I took his wife along. He and his wife had never seen The Stones, and they were duly impressed, not noticing Jagger recovering, as was noticeable to me and plainly obvious in the vids of the show.

Life is simply yes or no decisions when you get down to it. I'm thinking most folks on IORR wanna say yes, but there's always more involved in leading up to the decision...

Anyways, here's hoping The Stones do shows in 2018 on Planet Earth, and I can get to at least one more!

Thanks for clarifying that ticket exchange scenario - I do recall now others having to do the same.
Thankfully there were still plenty of tickets available for the Sat. show for you to purchase at the box office - had it been sold out, you might not have been quite as lucky!

Here's to hoping for those who are still interested in seeing them that the Stones will play more shows this year - the UK tour seems almost etched in stone, though not quite there yet.

Date: February 1, 2018 05:35

Hairball
I don't see the stats you posted anywhere in that link - just a fluff review.
"Jagger showed no signs of any throat ailments on this night"
Uhhh ok - thats why Keith did a three song set, the show was shortened to 18 tunes, and the backup singers covered Mick all night.

But back to the supposed sellout.
If you recall, there were even conspiracy theories being thrown about regarding the first show cancellation due to the poor sales of the Saturday show.

Posted by ifucantrockme the evening of the cancelled show - October 18, 2016 09:17PM:

ifucantrockme
The conspiracy theory in me says that Mick isn't sick, but this is the result of poor ticket sales for Saturday. I think they are banking on the fact that many people already traveled to Vegas and will extend their stay and buy tickets for Saturday. That would also explain why this poor selling Saturday show has not been flexed or excessively lucky dipped. Otherwise cancel both shows now so people who have not yet traveled can change their plans.

While that theory is a bunch of balderdash, it clearly shows how poor the show on the 22nd was selling, and the lack of sales was a major discussion point leading up to both shows.
While official tickets were still readily available the day of the show both online and at the box office, could it have actually sold out by showtime?
I suppose it could have, but something tells me those stats have been buffered to make it seem that way - how else can all the empty seats be explained?

The uncertainty of people not buying show 2 was due to Mick's illness.
Seems obvious... but I guess it needs mentioning,
The numbers were from Billboard.. posted here during one of the other times you "discovered" here it was a sellout.
I posted the review link so you could get a glimpse of what others thought of the concert as you act like they took a leak on you from the stage.

Date: February 1, 2018 05:55

The uncertainty of people not buying show 2 was due to Micks illness? It was only known he was sick when the first show was cancelled - a few days before.
What's your excuse for people not buying tickets prior to that? Tickets had been on sale for months!
Still have doubts about the so-called "sellout" as tix were readily available the day of show and there were many empty seats.
And the review was some sort of fantasy piece - even you have admitted in the past that Mick wasn't up to snuff (but you still LOVED it!).
All that said, Midnight Rambler was great as was the blues cover as was having Keith do a three song set due to Mick's illness.
Abruptly ending the show after an 18 song set was not so great. Seeing Mick struggle - though still try - was bittersweet.

Here are some interesting random IORR quotes compiled from the Reports page:

"I could clearly hear that Mick's voice wasn't completely healed. It was dry and for the first half hour I was worried".

"From the start it was clear that Mick was still recovering. Bernard and Sasha supporting the vocals from back stage for the first few numbers; Chuck singing strongly all the time; Mick using every opportunity to get the crowd to sing the words we all knew. We had three Keith songs (with Mick patting him on the back in thanks behind the amps); we had some arrangements changed to give more instrumental breaks. Mick needed to pace himself, and did so early-on in the set"

"So during the first few numbers (JJF, Lets Spend the Night Together, IORR) the band seemed a little nervous as they got into the new mode of helping out Mick"

"Keith did Slipping Away, Little T&A (not heard live by me since 1982), and Happy. They seemed to be stretching each of these out a bit"

"Vocally, he (Mick) seemed semi-subdued throughout with less whoo-whoo-ing during Sympathy and the ending pf Brown Sugar's "I said yeah, yeah, yeah, whooo!".

Quite a contrast to the silly fantasy review you posted with the writer stating: "Jagger showed no signs of any throat ailments on this night"...eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-01 06:30 by Hairball.

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: February 1, 2018 06:38

Hairball
lem motlow
Hairball
Monsoon Ragoon
custom55
I know The Stones like to play venues that they've never played before. Metlife Stadium ( replaced Giants stadium ) outside on NYC falls into that category.

I'm not sure. They played 11 x just some 100 metres away. Plus 3 x in the same suburb East Rutherford in the Meadowlands Arena. Maybe they prefer arena shows nowadays in the US (where you get tickets sold at $450). Anyway, they won't play US gigs this year. Maybe next.

Prior to last years one off in *Vegas (where standard tickets were up to $800 for the entire floor and lower loge), and the Desert Trip shows, the Zip Code tour in 2015 was all stadiums. Can't recall exact prices for that other than they were more expensive than any other band in the universe for a stadium show. As for the *Vegas show (s), they had trouble selling out because of the outrageous prices, even lowering them after a certain point. And after the first show was cancelled, tickets were still available at the box office for the one and only arena show. If they do ever come back - and chances for that are slim, the prices might be more "reasonable" as they were during the 50 and Counting arena tour...averaging around a whopping $450, but probably closer to $600.

I saw a couple of pictures of that Vegas t-mobile show and it looked like there were many rows with 5 to 10 empty sets,to be fair the audience was a bit blurry in the photos (it was the band shot from the backstage area)did you find that to be the case?

Where my wife and I were seated - towards the back on the floor - there were many empty seats.
Should be noted that along with tickets being available at the box office the day of the show, sellers on Stubhub were dumping tickets by the boatload at heavily discounted prices in the days leading up to the show. Being in Vegas for my wifes birthday at the time with no intention of seeing the Stones, the temptation of buying $800 face value tickets for apprx. $250 each the day of the show on stubhub was hard to resist - so I surprised her with another last minute gift. While it was one of the least memorable shows I've ever seen due to the short setlist and Mick being sick, I can't really complain at that price (and hearing Midnight Rambler again is always fun, as was one of the blues covers). But for some of those who paid the full face value expecting a full on Stones show, can't help feeling sorry for them. For that reason the Stones maybe should have cancelled rather than shortchanging them, but of course there are those who will love everything and anything the Stones do no matter how subpar the performance was.

But back on topic as to not upset those awaiting any news on the rumoured upcoming tour...sorry, I have nothing to add.

Yet if the band doesn’t make it back to the States again, I’d say it’d be quite memorable. One never knows. They are all happy just to wake up each day. Also, they added seats on both sides of the stage the day of the show. Go figure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-01 06:45 by mpj200.

Date: February 1, 2018 07:35

mpj200
Hairball
lem motlow
Hairball
Monsoon Ragoon
custom55
I know The Stones like to play venues that they've never played before. Metlife Stadium ( replaced Giants stadium ) outside on NYC falls into that category.

I'm not sure. They played 11 x just some 100 metres away. Plus 3 x in the same suburb East Rutherford in the Meadowlands Arena. Maybe they prefer arena shows nowadays in the US (where you get tickets sold at $450). Anyway, they won't play US gigs this year. Maybe next.

Prior to last years one off in *Vegas (where standard tickets were up to $800 for the entire floor and lower loge), and the Desert Trip shows, the Zip Code tour in 2015 was all stadiums. Can't recall exact prices for that other than they were more expensive than any other band in the universe for a stadium show. As for the *Vegas show (s), they had trouble selling out because of the outrageous prices, even lowering them after a certain point. And after the first show was cancelled, tickets were still available at the box office for the one and only arena show. If they do ever come back - and chances for that are slim, the prices might be more "reasonable" as they were during the 50 and Counting arena tour...averaging around a whopping $450, but probably closer to $600.

I saw a couple of pictures of that Vegas t-mobile show and it looked like there were many rows with 5 to 10 empty sets,to be fair the audience was a bit blurry in the photos (it was the band shot from the backstage area)did you find that to be the case?

Where my wife and I were seated - towards the back on the floor - there were many empty seats.
Should be noted that along with tickets being available at the box office the day of the show, sellers on Stubhub were dumping tickets by the boatload at heavily discounted prices in the days leading up to the show. Being in Vegas for my wifes birthday at the time with no intention of seeing the Stones, the temptation of buying $800 face value tickets for apprx. $250 each the day of the show on stubhub was hard to resist - so I surprised her with another last minute gift. While it was one of the least memorable shows I've ever seen due to the short setlist and Mick being sick, I can't really complain at that price (and hearing Midnight Rambler again is always fun, as was one of the blues covers). But for some of those who paid the full face value expecting a full on Stones show, can't help feeling sorry for them. For that reason the Stones maybe should have cancelled rather than shortchanging them, but of course there are those who will love everything and anything the Stones do no matter how subpar the performance was.

But back on topic as to not upset those awaiting any news on the rumoured upcoming tour...sorry, I have nothing to add.

Yet if the band doesn’t make it back to the States again, I’d say it’d be quite memorable. One never knows. They are all happy just to wake up each day. Also, they added seats on both sides of the stage the day of the show. Go figure.

You have a point there regarding "memorable" if that was indeed the last show in the States, and I have a feeling it just might be this late in the game. But to be honest with you, I'll always consider Desert Trip 2 the last true Stones show I ever attended ever in the States - it was a really good one, though a shame that's where Mick became sick. In contrast, *Vegas will always have a weird cloud looming over it for a variety of reasons, but it's evident that many people still enjoyed it regardless of it's shortcomings.

But all that aside, hoping the band are all happy and healthy and are gearing up for the rumoured UK tour this summer!

Posted by: StonesSmeth99 ()
Date: February 1, 2018 10:43

In relation to the rumoured Twickenham dates above: The Twitter account that this was raised by yesterday was @twickerman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-01 10:43 by StonesSmeth99.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 1, 2018 10:48

StonesSmeth99
In relation to the rumoured Twickenham dates above: The Twitter account that this was raised by yesterday was @twickerman

What are the dates??
i missed this..
Jeroen

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: February 1, 2018 11:11

[twitter.com]

June 19/23

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: February 1, 2018 11:18

So no Wembley gig?

Date: February 1, 2018 12:05

Lien
[twitter.com]

June 19/23

Thsnks Lien
Jeroen

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: February 1, 2018 12:28

Lien
[twitter.com]

June 19/23

Hmmm, interesting, very interesting! It fits with the band’s pattern of a midweek gig followed by a weekend show as these dates are Tuesday amd Saturday respectively. If I was a betting man, I’d say there was something in this and provisional bookings have been made. It seems that many of the event dates on that list (not just the Stones) were an internal provisional booking list not intended for external publication but has somehow leaked.

Posted by: Healy52003 ()
Date: February 1, 2018 12:32

apparently Aiken Promotions in Ireland have applied for a concert in Croke Park for May ??

Could it be the last weekend in May to kick off the tour ?

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: February 1, 2018 13:07

Lien
[twitter.com]

June 19/23

Great find. Thanks!

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: February 1, 2018 13:25

Healy52003
apparently Aiken Promotions in Ireland have applied for a concert in Croke Park for May ??

[www.rte.ie]

Date: February 1, 2018 13:55

Lien
Healy52003

[www.rte.ie]

Ive heard date is Thurs 17th May for this possible CP show

Date: February 1, 2018 14:47

BowieStone
Lien
[twitter.com]

June 19/23

Great find. Thanks!

thumbs upthumbs up

Date: February 1, 2018 14:56

dont think the stones will play a show on a thursday and that early in May??

17th May

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: February 1, 2018 15:03

Healy52003

17th May

Why not?

Nate

Date: February 1, 2018 15:13

Lien
Healy52003

[www.rte.ie]

I cant see what artist that could possibly be for other than the Stones.

Unless its Eminem, who is also touring this summer, although he's playing Twickenham in mid-July

before anyone gets excited, I'd be surprised if they get that licence granted. Remember the Garth Brooks fiasco from a few years ago. There's also the much more fan friendly Aviva Stadium instead of they want tio play there.

Anyway, I've booked a refundable hotel room just in case. Hotel prices seem to getting a bit higher around that time I notice. Standard practice for Dublin whenever theres a big concert on - the hotels obviously get tipped off in advance and their prices go through the roof.

If anyone is thinking of going to Dublin for a Stones show, do NOT leave it late to book your hotel (but make it refundable)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-01 15:17 by Gazza.

Date: February 1, 2018 15:16

Healy52003

17th May

Why not? They cant play every show at the weekend.

Granted, an 82,000 seat stadium is a hard sell at the best of times and more so on a week night but as they only play two shows a week these days one of them has to be mid-week.

Its an awful venue for a show though unless youre on the pitch. If youre high up in those stands you'll probably hear the show three times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-01 15:17 by Gazza.

Date: February 1, 2018 15:27

Gazza
Healy52003

17th May

Why not? They cant play every show at the weekend.

Granted, an 82,000 seat stadium is a hard sell at the best of times and more so on a week night but as they only play two shows a week these days one of them has to be mid-week.

Its an awful venue for a show though unless youre on the pitch. If youre high up in those stands you'll probably hear the show three times.

Hi Gazza, which not too expensive refundable hotels around the stadium can you recommend?
Jeroen

Date: February 1, 2018 15:35

Not that much around the stadium, but anything you can get in the city centre is fine. Croke Park is in the north of the city but its only a 20-25 minute walk from the top of O'Connell Street (the main street in Dublin)

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: February 1, 2018 15:57

If the shows at Twickenham become reality then staying at Heathrow airport is a good option for those flying in for one night,if planning to stay longer then central London is the better option.

Nate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-01 16:11 by Nate.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3738394041424344454647...LastNext
Current Page: 42 of 127

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1791
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home