Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...113114115116117118119120121122123...LastNext
Current Page: 118 of 127
Re: The Rolling Stones 2018 tour rumours - UK and more
Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: February 25, 2018 16:21

grzegorz67
Monsoon Ragoon
StonesSmeth99
Monsoon Ragoon
StonesSmeth99
Topi
Interesting. There's room for at least one show between Edinburgh and Twickenham. And now that Edinburgh is after Manchester, there's room for a midweek show between London #2 and Manchester too.

My guess is Villa Park, Birmingham on June 12 or 13, followed by Cardiff on 16 June. With Southampton squeezed in on May 30.

I don't think there will be a show every 100 miles. 3x London, 2x Manchester, Southampton, Birmingham, Cardiff - that's way too many shows, unless the prices are much lower than usual (which won't happen of course). It's like they had played 11 or 12 shows in Germany last year.

The surprises are Birmingham and Southampton, and a '2nd' show at Old Trafford. But there's such a big population in a small space - someone somewhere has made a judgement that it can work.

I did a drive-by of the digital 'No Stopping' screen next to Manchester Arena last night and have to say, it was exciting...

Would be great for you guys over there, but is it realistic? That's many 100.000 tickets for prices from £100-150 onwards. I don't think they can sell out Manchester twice if they also play in Edinburgh and Birmingham.

Edinburgh is 200 miles North of Manchester and Birmingham 100 Miles South. Manchester has 20 million people within a 2 hour journey of it and Birmingham even more. These 3 cities are without a Stones show in 19, 15 and 45 years respectively. I don’t think it will be any problem at all.

If there are three shows in London, two in Manchester plus one in Southhampton, Cardiff and Birmingham, that's eight shows within 225 miles (driving distance Southhampton/Manchester). Something like that has seldom happened before - worldwide. Only 1990 would be comparable for England in the Vegas-era (which didn’t have comparable prices). Hope you are right. They tried something like that in Germany 2006/07; most shows did not sell out, the last three were half-filled.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-25 16:41 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: February 25, 2018 16:30

There was quite a bit of empty space the last time they played Hampden.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: February 25, 2018 16:39

CaledonianGonzo
There was quite a bit of empty space the last time they played Hampden.

I can believe it. But that was an all seated show and only 3 years after their previous visit to Glasgow. 12 years have passed since their last visit and the show sounds likely to be floor standing which is always more popular. Murrayfield ‘99 wasn’t sold out either but still s great show. Tours now have far fewer shows than back then too so supply is about 1/3 of previously. ‘Concert tourism’ I.e. travelling for Shows is also much more popular now than then.

Date: February 25, 2018 16:41

If it's floor standing then it'll make a difference to sales, aye. Hopefully it will be.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 25, 2018 16:42

Monsoon Ragoon
grzegorz67
Monsoon Ragoon
StonesSmeth99
Monsoon Ragoon
StonesSmeth99
Topi
Interesting. There's room for at least one show between Edinburgh and Twickenham. And now that Edinburgh is after Manchester, there's room for a midweek show between London #2 and Manchester too.

My guess is Villa Park, Birmingham on June 12 or 13, followed by Cardiff on 16 June. With Southampton squeezed in on May 30.

I don't think there will be a show every 100 miles. 3x London, 2x Manchester, Southampton, Birmingham, Cardiff - that's way too many shows, unless the prices are much lower than usual (which won't happen of course). It's like they had played 11 or 12 shows in Germany last year.

The surprises are Birmingham and Southampton, and a '2nd' show at Old Trafford. But there's such a big population in a small space - someone somewhere has made a judgement that it can work.

I did a drive-by of the digital 'No Stopping' screen next to Manchester Arena last night and have to say, it was exciting...

Would be great for you guys over there, but is it realistic? That's many 100.000 tickets for prices from £100-150 onwards. I don't think they can sell out Manchester twice if they also play in Edinburgh and Birmingham.

Edinburgh is 200 miles North of Manchester and Birmingham 100 Miles South. Manchester has 20 million people within a 2 hour journey of it and Birmingham even more. These 3 cities are without a Stones show in 19, 15 and 45 years respectively. I don’t think it will be any problem at all.

If there are three shows in London, two in Manchester plus one in Southhampton, Cardiff and Birmingham, that's eight shows within 225 miles (driving distance Southhampton/Manchester). Something like that has seldom happened before - worldwide. Only 1990 would be comparable for England (which had maybe 40-50 % of today's prices inflation-adjusted). Hope you are right.

Stones have done concentrated UK tours in the past:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-25 16:43 by Maindefender.

Date: February 25, 2018 16:47

Monsoon Ragoon
grzegorz67
Monsoon Ragoon
StonesSmeth99
Monsoon Ragoon
StonesSmeth99
Topi

If there are three shows in London, two in Manchester plus one in Southhampton, Cardiff and Birmingham, that's eight shows within 225 miles (driving distance Southhampton/Manchester). Something like that has seldom happened before - worldwide. Only 1990 would be comparable for England in the Vegas-era (which didn’t have comparable prices). Hope you are right. They tried something like that in Germany 2006/07; most shows did not sell out, the last three were half-filled.

Cardiff isn’t on the rumours list. The rumours are for 7 shows in England and 1 each in Scotland and Ireland. In 1990, England got 8 (5 at Wembley, 2 x Manchester, 1 x Newcastle) and Scotland and Wales one each. 2 of the rumoured English shows are in smallish stadia (Birmingham and Southampton). I’d be surprised if they all fully sell out but there will be big enough crowds at all and they will have a great time. Hyde Park 2 in 2013 wasn’t sold out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-25 16:51 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 25, 2018 16:50

Hate to keep asking for tips.. but am now looking at trying for Manchester 2, Edinburgh,and the (2)following shows(Southampton/Birmingham?)ending @Twickenham.

Having never been to the UK, the transportation piece is a little overwhelming.
Have researched the Oyster Card and this seems fairly straightforward as it pertains to the Greater London area. Besides the Virgin trains, are there good ($$) options for travel to Edinburgh from Manchester? The trains look great and will likely utilize from London to Manchester, but a bit spendy otherwise. Having plenty of time between shows.. the fastest route isn't a priority,

Again, any helpful tips/suggestions/info much appreciated.Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-25 16:52 by MisterDDDD.

Date: February 25, 2018 16:55

MisterDDDD
Hate to keep asking for tips.. but am now looking at trying for Manchester 2, Edinburgh,and the (2)following shows(Southampton/Birmingham?)ending @Twickenham.

Have researched the Oyster Card and am sure this seems fairly straightforward as it pertains to the Greater London area. Besides the Virgin trains, are there good ($$) options for travel to Edinburgh from Manchester? The trains look great and will likely utilize from London to Manchester, but a bit spendy otherwise. Having plenty of time between shows.. the fastest route isn't a priority,

For Manchester and Edinburgh by train, try Virgin Trains, pick a specific train and book far in advance for the best fares. London Manchester is 2 hours. London Edinburgh is 4 hours 30 minutes. Book through Virgin Trains for Manchester to Edinburgh far in advance and it can be as cheap as £14. There will be 1 or 2 changes involved and it will take 3 hours +

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: February 25, 2018 16:57

Kind friends...any suggestions for a safe, area/hotel in London that would be convenient to possible venues? Much appreciated! I haven't been to London since 1969.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: February 25, 2018 16:59

steffialicia
Kind friends...any suggestions for a safe, area/hotel in London that would be convenient to possible venues? Much appreciated! I haven't been to London since 1969.

St. Giles Bedford Avenue. Cheap and close to everything.

Date: February 25, 2018 17:17

grzegorz67
For Manchester and Edinburgh by train, try Virgin Trains, pick a specific train and book far in advance for the best fares. London Manchester is 2 hours. London Edinburgh is 4 hours 30 minutes. Book through Virgin Trains for Manchester to Edinburgh far in advance and it can be as cheap as £14. There will be 1 or 2 changes involved and it will take 3 hours +
Thank you..
I must be doing something wrong.. looking to book now for Manchester and finding £85 as the cheapest (off-peak) fare. Will keep hunting around their site..
On a brighter note, stumbled across Mega Bus, where the fare is as low as £1
Landing on show day though.. not sure I can make the times.
[uk.megabus.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-25 17:25 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: austrianstones ()
Date: February 25, 2018 17:21

JumpinJeppeFlash
steffialicia

i recommend this one, too thumbs up

Date: February 25, 2018 17:22

It's sometimes cheaper to fly.. I wouldn't rule out the likes of easyJet.

Date: February 25, 2018 17:24

MisterDDDD
grzegorz67
Thank you..
I must be doing something wrong.. looking to book now for Manchester and finding £85 as the cheapest (off-peak) fare. Will keep hunting around their site..

They don’t upload their cheapest fares to their booking system until about 3 months before travel. Try for dates in mid-late May and you will see what’s likely to be available.

Date: February 25, 2018 17:26

grzegorz67
MisterDDDD
grzegorz67
Thank you..

They don’t upload their cheapest fares to their booking system until about 3 months before travel. Try for dates in mid-late May and you will see what’s likely to be available.
thumbs up

Date: February 25, 2018 17:34

MisterDDDD
grzegorz67
Thank you..
On a brighter note, stumbled across Mega Bus, where the fare is as low as £1
Landing on show day though.. not sure I can make the times.
[uk.megabus.com]

Megabus are fine and excellent value as long as you don’t mind the no frills experience. Even on longer journeys within there are no stops to stretch your legs and you are limited to the bus toilet only!!! Try National Express. A little pricier but they stop at Service Stations and their coaches are nicer to travel on.

Posted by: GAFF ()
Date: February 25, 2018 17:40

austrianstones
JumpinJeppeFlash
steffialicia

I've booked from 5/20-5/27 at St. Giles for $860. Not bad IMO.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: February 25, 2018 17:42

MisterDDDD

Have researched the Oyster Card and this seems fairly straightforward as it pertains to the Greater London area. Besides the Virgin trains, are there good ($$) options for travel to Edinburgh from Manchester? The trains look great and will likely utilize from London to Manchester, but a bit spendy otherwise. Having plenty of time between shows.. the fastest route isn't a priority,

Don't worry about asking for tips, fire away and hopefully we can help.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: February 25, 2018 17:48

Maindefender
Monsoon Ragoon
grzegorz67
Monsoon Ragoon
StonesSmeth99
Monsoon Ragoon
StonesSmeth99
Topi

If there are three shows in London, two in Manchester plus one in Southhampton, Cardiff and Birmingham, that's eight shows within 225 miles (driving distance Southhampton/Manchester). Something like that has seldom happened before - worldwide. Only 1990 would be comparable for England (which had maybe 40-50 % of today's prices inflation-adjusted). Hope you are right.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Should we compare 2018 with 1964 where they played on every corner for a few dozen people?

Posted by: Stole ()
Date: February 25, 2018 18:25

Ima li ovde nekog iz Srbije il sa tog govornog podrujcja

I was born in a cross-fire hurricane
And I howled at my ma in the driving rain,
But it's all right now, in fact, it's a gas!
But it's all right. I'm Jumpin' Stole Flash,
It's a Gas! Gas! Gas!

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: February 25, 2018 18:49

GAFF
austrianstones
JumpinJeppeFlash
steffialicia

I've booked from 5/20-5/27 at St. Giles for $860. Not bad IMO.

Thank you!!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 25, 2018 19:02

Monsoon Ragoon
Maindefender
Monsoon Ragoon
grzegorz67
Monsoon Ragoon
StonesSmeth99
Monsoon Ragoon
StonesSmeth99
Topi

[en.wikipedia.org]

Should we compare 2018 with 1964 where they played on every corner for a few dozen people?

Not on this thread.....smoking smiley

Posted by: Ronnierocks ()
Date: February 25, 2018 19:13

Regards your travel option in the UK.
Stones have two or three days between shows usually.
Trains are quicker but more expensive...you can try a bus for cheaper?
Two popular bus services are National Express and Easybus.com
They run between most big cities and can be a bargain in advance.
London to Birmingham is around 3 hours
London to Manchester is around 5 hours.

Posted by: carouslambra ()
Date: February 25, 2018 19:22

MisterDDDD

Bear in mind that May 28th is a Bank Holiday (public holiday) that weekend (25th-29th)roads and rail will be very busy.

Posted by: carouslambra ()
Date: February 25, 2018 19:30

meck1211
I can´t find any overlap between rumoured dates and England`s matches in Russia.

I think Mick wants to see England`s lost as he did last Times.

Maybe not but by ending the tour in Eastern Europe Mick is handily placed to take Lucas to Brazil's (or Englands) final knock out matches.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: February 25, 2018 19:41

carouslambra
meck1211
I can´t find any overlap between rumoured dates and England`s matches in Russia.

I think Mick wants to see England`s lost as he did last Times.

Maybe not but by ending the tour in Eastern Europe Mick is handily placed to take Lucas to Brazil's (or Englands) final knock out matches.

England will be back home from the World Cup long before the Stones finish this tour.

Nate

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: February 25, 2018 19:56

carouslambra
MisterDDDD

Bear in mind that May 28th is a Bank Holiday (public holiday) that weekend (25th-29th)roads and rail will be very busy.

More than likely there will be restricted trains on a bank holiday, for some reason on a Bank holiday there is usually work on the rail lines going on.

I know at Easter there are already notices to this effect at one of Birmingham,s rail stations.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 25, 2018 19:57

Massimo68
It was posted 1 hour ago on Gérard Drouot Productions FB page (Marseille show)
Tomorrow 10 AM...

Strange that GDP would be promoting this since I'm not aware of them ever working with the Stones before...some bidding must have taken place and the usual promoters (Interconcerts and Encore) must have passed. The Stones must have asked for an astronomical guarantee that only someone who's never had the chance to work with them would pay up. Let's get braced for ticket prices!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: February 25, 2018 20:18

OK, I've checked the Easy Hotel site and they have the following locations in the London area, with all being from 23-42 pounds a night:
Croydon
Heathrow
Luton
Old St/Barbican
Paddington
South Kensington
Victoria

What does anyone recommend, keeping in mind something where one can get to the O2 and London Stadium easily. And hopefully get to Central London without too much trouble as well.

plexi

Posted by: justeillusion ()
Date: February 25, 2018 20:22

gotdablouse
Massimo68
It was posted 1 hour ago on Gérard Drouot Productions FB page (Marseille show)
Tomorrow 10 AM...

Strange that GDP would be promoting this since I'm not aware of them ever working with the Stones before...some bidding must have taken place and the usual promoters (Interconcerts and Encore) must have passed. The Stones must have asked for an astronomical guarantee that only someone who's never had the chance to work with them would pay up. Let's get braced for ticket prices!
Ils ont raté la dernière tournée de très peu..

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...113114115116117118119120121122123...LastNext
Current Page: 118 of 127

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1811
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home