Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637...LastNext
Current Page: 32 of 40
Re: Hamburg Germany 09-Sep-2017 Stones No Filter live show updates
Date: September 11, 2017 15:37

corriecas
mikey C
I did not see it how much was a beer? I did notice Stones plastic cups...And what beer was it just Curious ....

Beer was E 5,50 plus E 3,0 for the Glass. You could return the glass and they would return you the E 3,.
i kept the glass. Its Nice souvenir.
Jeroen

I kept it as well thumbs up

Date: September 11, 2017 15:42

<Being a "professional" maybe Keith should be a little more prepared for the first night.>

This is a valid question and/or statement indeed.

What we don't know, though, is how well he can be prepared - considering those hands and fingers - and how it would have sounded hadn't he been as well-prepared as possible.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: September 11, 2017 15:42

Hi DP!

If you look at Silver Dagger's SFTD-video in the set opener-thread, you'll see how it was from our spot.

I'm sorry, but where do you mean? In this thread? Which page?

Thank you, d.f

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 11, 2017 15:43

DandelionPowderman
corriecas
mikey C
I did not see it how much was a beer? I did notice Stones plastic cups...And what beer was it just Curious ....

Beer was E 5,50 plus E 3,0 for the Glass. You could return the glass and they would return you the E 3,.
i kept the glass. Its Nice souvenir.
Jeroen

I kept it as well thumbs up

Good souvenir. Wish I'd got one now sad smiley I've actually still got the one I got at the Hamburg Licks show in 2003. Unfortunately, after 2 beers I pee for Scotland nowadays eye rolling smiley. Not good for concerts...

Date: September 11, 2017 15:45

dead.flowers
Hi DP!

If you look at Silver Dagger's SFTD-video in the set opener-thread, you'll see how it was from our spot.

I'm sorry, but where do you mean? In this thread? Which page?

Thank you, d.f

Here it is, mate (sorry for the bad falsetto in there winking smiley ).

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 11, 2017 15:48

What was that "Straight Outta Compton" spoof shirt that Keith was wearing?

Straight Outta Dartford, I assume?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 11, 2017 15:48

DandelionPowderman
The full show:

[www.youtube.com]

Nice! Thank you, DP! smileys with beer

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 11, 2017 16:00

keefriff99
What was that "Straight Outta Compton" spoof shirt that Keith was wearing?

Straight Outta Dartford, I assume?

Yes.

[twitter.com]

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: September 11, 2017 16:03

Maindefender
stone4ever
StonedRambler
Hope you don't mind if I ask, but why do people think Keith is sober? There are Backstage photos of Keith from Havana where he drank a wodka sunkist and smoked a joint. Also in recent interviews there's often a glass of wodka sunkist next to him.

Well i will try to answer that question best to my knowledge, as drink is my favorite subject lol.
Keith went through a period of sobriety after his wife had a big operation removing a lot of cancer. I think he was off booze much more than he was on it between 2008 to 2014 or thereabouts. I get the feeling he is on and off the drink still to this day. Its very easy to see when Keith is drinking as he has got older from his face and his speaking voice.
Its my guess that he just did the last show sober, maybe he had a little weed before the show, that seems to slow him down a bit but it probably calmed his nerves.
Ronnie i am more suspicious of, not drink but something else.

Just to add that Cocaine is out of the question now for Keith since his head injury in 06'

I'm curious to hear reports on Keith's progress thru this tour. Not being in attendance it's tough to get a true barometer but bum notes are bum notes. Being a "professional" maybe Keith should be a little more prepared for the first night. But hey my Patriots stunk in their first game and hopefully they rebound and hopefully more promising reports on Keith's next show. Despite this there were many glowing reports and like I said you HAVE to be there to truly appreciate!! smileys with beer

Yeah i don't get the feeling this is going to be a repeat of the 07' tour when Keith was pissed as a fart every night. That was disrespectful to the audience and the band, but we didn't know the personal agony Keith was going through at the time.
I had the misfortune to see the Stones 3 times in 07' and Keith was almost motionless, although on occasion he still played brilliantly. At least once, Mick prevented him from falling into the crowd. Keith was living on the ledge over the edge at this point in time.
I think Keith does rehearse a lot more now, he has too. I think he put in a good performance in Hamburg, i would like to see him attack that sympathy solo with gusto next time out, he needs to rehearse it and nail it. That will boost his confidence and the bands confidence in him. Keith is a stubborn old sod though and very unapproachable and formidable i suspect. He may even be in denial about his playing. Someone needs to tell him he is the weak link at the moment, because these shows could be awesome if he steps it up a notch. Mick is finally concentrating on his singing and Ronnie is on fire. Its all about confidence with Keith, he needs a good start, get those fingers warmed up properly before he hits the stage. Don't get me wrong, i love the man, but he needs to up his game, Keith always comes back strong, i see no reason why he can't improve over the next few shows as long as he keeps the drink in moderation.

Date: September 11, 2017 16:12

<Keith is a stubborn old sod though>

Indeed. And the last he will do is to rehearse a solo he plays every night.

The exception, of course, is HTW. However, he tried to change it totally in Hamburg (wailing away in the lower G-major scale in the beginning of the solo), but eventally got a bit lost, before he picked it up correctly again smiling smiley

I don't think Keith would have any problems re-remembering the Ya Ya's SFTD-solo, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to. midways through the Hamburg-version he actually picked up the Ya Ya's riffs again, if you listen closely.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 11, 2017 16:12

zgubi
my traditional concert video including a few snippets from the show, hope you enjoy, will be doing one of these in each city so subscribe to get notified video: [youtu.be]

Nice video, and it's great to see some of the usual suspects on it. smileys with beer

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 11, 2017 16:18

I liked the moment at the end of SFTD -- Keith seemed to stop, smiled (relief? acknowledgement that he had struggled? happiness at being onstage?) and Ronnie came over to slap his back.
I'm happy for him. He's an old man now, but we're always kids deep down and that often show in him now. I think he's as ready as possible so I don't question his professionalism.
Hopefully people accept where they are as a band and enjoy the shows.

Date: September 11, 2017 16:20

stone4ever
Maindefender
stone4ever
StonedRambler
Hope you don't mind if I ask, but why do people think Keith is sober? There are Backstage photos of Keith from Havana where he drank a wodka sunkist and smoked a joint. Also in recent interviews there's often a glass of wodka sunkist next to him.

Well i will try to answer that question best to my knowledge, as drink is my favorite subject lol.
Keith went through a period of sobriety after his wife had a big operation removing a lot of cancer. I think he was off booze much more than he was on it between 2008 to 2014 or thereabouts. I get the feeling he is on and off the drink still to this day. Its very easy to see when Keith is drinking as he has got older from his face and his speaking voice.
Its my guess that he just did the last show sober, maybe he had a little weed before the show, that seems to slow him down a bit but it probably calmed his nerves.

Just to add that Cocaine is out of the question now for Keith since his head injury in 06'

I'm curious to hear reports on Keith's progress thru this tour. Not being in attendance it's tough to get a true barometer but bum notes are bum notes. Being a "professional" maybe Keith should be a little more prepared for the first night. But hey my Patriots stunk in their first game and hopefully they rebound and hopefully more promising reports on Keith's next show. Despite this there were many glowing reports and like I said you HAVE to be there to truly appreciate!! smileys with beer

Yeah i don't get the feeling this is going to be a repeat of the 07' tour when Keith was pissed as a fart every night. That was disrespectful to the audience and the band, but we didn't know the personal agony Keith was going through at the time.
I had the misfortune to see the Stones 3 times in 07' and Keith was almost motionless, although on occasion he still played brilliantly. At least once, Mick prevented him from falling into the crowd. Keith was living on the ledge over the edge at this point in time.
I think Keith does rehearse a lot more now, he has too. I think he put in a good performance in Hamburg, i would like to see him attack that sympathy solo with gusto next time out, he needs to rehearse it and nail it. That will boost his confidence and the bands confidence in him. Keith is a stubborn old sod though and very unapproachable and formidable i suspect. He may even be in denial about his playing. Someone needs to tell him he is the weak link at the moment, because these shows could be awesome if he steps it up a notch. Mick is finally concentrating on his singing and Ronnie is on fire. Its all about confidence with Keith, he needs a good start, get those fingers warmed up properly before he hits the stage. Don't get me wrong, i love the man, but he needs to up his game, Keith always comes back strong, i see no reason why he can't improve over the next few shows as long as he keeps the drink in moderation.
What makes you suspicious of Ronnie? He appears as if he's finally gotten to a good place in his life.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 11, 2017 16:24

stone4ever
Maindefender
stone4ever
StonedRambler

I only went to Paris in '07 and concur. Ronnie moved up a gear that night and carried him. That was early in the '07 tour and I'm told by those who saw later shows on that tour that he picked up a lot and put in much better performances. Mick's voice sounded excellent at the rehearsals last Thursday. The much narrower No Filter Stage and shorter catwalk means he can't move around as much as before and has to focus on the singing and he's doing exactly that. Amongst other vocalists in his age group - Rod Stewart, Roger Daltrey, Paul McCartney, Dylan, Tom Jones and others, imho he is peerless in preserving his voice well.

Date: September 11, 2017 16:33

DandelionPowderman

Indeed. And the last he will do is to rehearse a solo he plays every night.

The exception, of course, is HTW. However, he tried to change it totally in Hamburg (wailing away in the lower G-major scale in the beginning of the solo), but eventally got a bit lost, before he picked it up correctly again smiling smiley

I don't think Keith would have any problems re-remembering the Ya Ya's SFTD-solo, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to. midways through the Hamburg-version he actually picked up the Ya Ya's riffs again, if you listen closely.

Yeah DP i just noticed that.
The thing with Keith, is to some extent he has always been sloppy, but with Ronnie on his game, we all seen less forgiving of Keith's lazy attitude. We will him on , we want him to blow our minds, but i'm not sure he can do much better than what he is already doing. He hates playing in a cold climate, its written all over his face, he looked pissed off at times, didn't even take his coat off lol.
If you watch Slipping Away he sings and plays it to perfection, its all about feel with keith, he can do it, but not to order, that's the nature of the beast.
But now that his abilities don't come so naturally to him he really needs to go back to the hotel and practice the living shit out of his solo's lol. But as you say, he just won't, its not him, too stubborn. Aw you gotta love him though winking smiley

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 11, 2017 16:39

Thanks stone4ever, very interesting post.
I think like you but you know how to say it and ask questions diplomatically (I plead guilty spinning smiley sticking its tongue out).

These two points are central IMO;

- He may even be in denial about his playing : I have often asked myself this question. Hard to say. None journalist has ever approached this point with him. "Do you think you play better than few years ago?" What would be his answer ?

- Someone needs to tell him he is the weak link at the moment ? : who could dare to tell him ? Who and when? No one and never IMO.But is it really doing him a favor ?
Less posing in Hamburg, a sign ?

stone4ever

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-11 16:46 by powerage78.

Date: September 11, 2017 16:49

<- Someone needs to tell him he is the weak link at the moment ? >

His solos are right there in our faces. Loud and clear - hit and miss. No doubt about that.

However, the guitar solos is a VERY small part of a Rolling Stones-show, as well as a microscopical part of what Keith contributes to that show.

Do you think Keith is «the weak link» on UMT (I liked his solo there, btw)? SFM? PWF? Dancing With Mr. D? Slipping Away? GS?

It's easy to forget that a show consists of 22 songs, and loads of guitar work that is not guitar solos.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 11, 2017 16:57

I think The Rolling Stones play much slower because of Keith

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 11, 2017 17:00

And Charlie can save some energy ....

Date: September 11, 2017 17:04

They usually play at his tempo. Some of the tempos in the '69 tour were laid back type of grooves.
Does he think he's as good as he was a few years ago? Does he think he's the 'weak link.' Those are ridiculous questions.
I just listened to his mini set and thought it was quite enjoyable. And that's through laptop speakers on youtube.

Date: September 11, 2017 17:08

I think keith has been on the point of something great happening with his playing since 2012, but 15 shows will never be enough for him to build on that.
Mick seem's frosty with him again and i wonder if that's because he feels keith is letting him down a bit.
I loved UMT it brought back memories of the two of them in 81' 82'
That for me was amazing the other night, i have been so disappointed with the way they have played that since 82'
I agree the solo's are a small part of the show but they are the part the haters focus on. We could say Ronnie only plays in spurts, and that would be true, but because he nails his solo's he gets away with it.
In a fair world mick would see the problems keith has with Sympathy and drop the bloody thing years ago, but no, he will not eye rolling smiley
I agree SFM and GS were really good, not great but better.
Slipping away was fantastic imho.
PWF brilliant although Mick didn't commit to it like he did in 90'

Date: September 11, 2017 17:15

Irix

And Charlie can save some energy ....

And Mick can save some energy.

Then the question arises: Slower than what exactly? Because it wouldn't surprise me if the beats per minute are exactly like the songs we love so dearly on the albums..

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 11, 2017 17:18

wonderboy

They usually play at his tempo. Some of the tempos in the '69 tour were laid back type of grooves.
Does he think he's as good as he was a few years ago? Does he think he's the 'weak link.' Those are ridiculous questions.
I just listened to his mini set and thought it was quite enjoyable. And that's through laptop speakers on youtube.

I for one would love to hear Keith describe his current playing status and respond truthfully to "bum" notes. Be it the cold, arthritis, "piss off" whatever.....last time I saw him was Buffalo '15 and still the best I've seen since my journey in '81.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 11, 2017 17:24

The Worst.
From das BILD:

As a matter of curiosity, where was the pit section located in Hamburg?

C

Posted by: majomuc ()
Date: September 11, 2017 17:28

Hi guys,

just before tomorrow's Munich show - did anyone achieve to sneak in a regular / private photo camera ?

I know the discussions but couldn't find any real information how they handled it in Hamburg.

Cheers, Josef

Date: September 11, 2017 17:29

What makes you suspicious of Ronnie? He appears as if he's finally gotten to a good place in his life.

Well i'm not convinced he does take something, its just he seem's so energetic and twitchy, he looks so gaunt and he sweets more. He show's no sign of nerves like he used to when he wasn't drinking. Its not drink, definitely not.
I could be wrong. I just study these guys , always have, you begin to notice things. Obviously he is in a good place and he knows what he is doing, he's had enough practice.
Hey maybe its just that as he has got older he has gotten more confident in himself. He's like a man possessed, good luck to him whatever he takes, i know he is into vitamins and stuff, could be that.winking smiley

Date: September 11, 2017 17:33

Maindefender

I for one would love to hear Keith describe his current playing status and respond truthfully to "bum" notes. Be it the cold, arthritis, "piss off" whatever.....last time I saw him was Buffalo '15 and still the best I've seen since my journey in '81.

If you asked a Wayne Rooney or Tim Duncan or a sportsman in his later years that question they would probably just shrug.
I think it's fair to talk about his playing but be fair and be realistic. (I know you are!).

Date: September 11, 2017 17:35

liddas
The Worst.
From das BILD:

As a matter of curiosity, where was the pit section located in Hamburg?

C

On both sides of the catwalk.

Date: September 11, 2017 17:44

Gimme Shelter sounded fantastic. It was a bit subdued, but very well-executed on guitar by both Keith and Ronnie, and Mick sounded terrific.

Date: September 11, 2017 17:46

stone4ever

Well i'm not convinced he does take something, its just he seem's so energetic and twitchy, he looks so gaunt and he sweets more. He show's no sign of nerves like he used to when he wasn't drinking. Its not drink, definitely not.
I could be wrong. I just study these guys , always have, you begin to notice things. Obviously he is in a good place and he knows what he is doing, he's had enough practice.
Hey maybe its just that as he has got older he has gotten more confident in himself. He's like a man possessed, good luck to him whatever he takes, i know he is into vitamins and stuff, could be that.winking smiley
I've noticed that twitchiness too, but I put it down to him just being off everything and have a lot of nervous energy to burn off.

The gauntness in his face is very odd, but it could just be down to age and being skinny. Peter Cushing had similar facial features as he aged (hatched-faced).

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637...LastNext
Current Page: 32 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1894
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home