Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 40
Re: tonight set list
Date: September 10, 2017 17:38

Munichhilton
Where the hell is Doom & Gloom...what gives?

Good times again.

Date: September 10, 2017 17:44

DandelionPowderman

I don't follow you here confused smiley

It was stripped down and hauntingly beautiful - as opposed to the non-dynamic synth/strings-heavy 1989-version, imo.

I guess that you have a point. I watched a lower quality video last night and today there is a better quality video up. I wouldn't call the 1989 version non-dynamic,though.

Anyway,I see a trend here since Matt Clifford has returned to the scene. He seems to be nostalgic about the songs performed in 1989 and 1990. First "2000 Light Years" , then "Can't Be Seen" , then "Mixed Emotions" , and now "Play With Fire" .

What will be next?? "Almost Hear You Sigh" , "Red Rooster" , "Blinded By Love" , "Sad Sad Sad" ??

Date: September 10, 2017 17:50

hockenheim95
Winning Ugly VXII
NICOS
For me only " Dancing With Mr is special the rest is standerd or as expected .........the set is list would be great if "We Love You" is played ;o)

"Play With Fire" had not been performed live in concert since 27 and a half years ago and not in Europe in roughly 50 years.

I would prefer a little bit more energy in the performance of "Play With Fire" like in 1989 and Japan 1990 but,they are now 27 and a half years older than they were then. It's better to have it in there than to have yet another performance of something such as "Dead Flowers" again.

"Sympathy" almost had to be moved towards the beginning of the set. Not a game changer but,like I said,it had to be moved or dropped.

Also nice to have a couple of 'Blue and Lonesome' tracks in there instead of just 20 songs. It might be a good idea to consider some of the other tracks from that album.

"Dancing With Mr. D" was a complete surprise. Personally,I would have preferred "Dance Little Sister" but,I will take any surprise at this point and be grateful that it is a real surprise instead of the business as usual (not actual surprise song) , "Respectable" for an example. I hope that they keep adding them in.

You call Dead Flowers a song you don't wanna hear "again". I have been to 29 concerts and never have heard it live. 4 "new" songs for me yesterday. That's pretty good.

Luck of the draw I guess. But "Dead Flowers" has been in there relatively often as a "surprise" since 1989. I hope they do it one more time for you. Very good in '98 and in '05 but,I would say that other material is more than welcome at this point,all things considered.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 10, 2017 17:59

Interested to hear thoughts from those who were there on Sympathy as an opener.
From what I saw based on a video, it looked great, but not sure how the chugging sampled drumming and plodding tempo is a great way to kick off a show in to high gear.
Seems a lot of people here usually moan or whine about it when it's played anywhere in the setlist (w/slow tempo, etc.), but if it's gonna be played at all maybe it was good to get it out of the way?

Also, nice to hear Play With Fire, but based on the videos I saw/listened to, something seemed weird about Micks vocals...maybe trying to hard to sound menacing and over enunciating a bit.
Just my opinion based on video as I'm sure it sounded better when you're living the moment.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: September 10, 2017 18:06

The tour begins. Sounds fantastic. Thanks for the links everyone. Long live IORR.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 10, 2017 18:18

Good to have you back D&G! thumbs up

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 10, 2017 18:21

The setlist is just perfect IMO.
SFTD performance is another debate...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 10, 2017 18:22

Winning Ugly VXII
"Play With Fire" had not been performed live in concert since 27 and a half years ago and not in Europe in roughly 50 years.

I would prefer a little bit more energy in the performance of "Play With Fire" like in 1989 and Japan 1990 but,they are now 27 and a half years older than they were then. It's better to have it in there than to have yet another performance of something such as "Dead Flowers" again.

"Sympathy" almost had to be moved towards the beginning of the set. Not a game changer but,like I said,it had to be moved or dropped.

Also nice to have a couple of 'Blue and Lonesome' tracks in there instead of just 20 songs. It might be a good idea to consider some of the other tracks from that album.

"Dancing With Mr. D" was a complete surprise. Personally,I would have preferred "Dance Little Sister" but,I will take any surprise at this point and be grateful that it is a real surprise instead of the business as usual (not actual surprise song) , "Respectable" for an example. I hope that they keep adding them in.

Nice fact check on PWF. I loved "Play With Fire" back in 1989 Toronto. The CNE show was especially great.

IMO, SFTD has never been played better since 1969. They Vegas' the song death and with all the props, backup singing, and that dumb gorilla suit...

I would have loved to hear "Dancing with Mr. D" live and even more so "Dance Little Sister" but maybe 20 or 30 years ago. "Respectable" sounds good in the 70's and 80's when it could be played fast and harsh, but last time I heard it the song was terrible as they noodled through it. You can't play that song like that.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 10, 2017 18:43

ironbelly
The fact they shuffle the set list a bit does not cancel the fact that there were
- 8 out of 9 songs from Hot Rocks, disc 2. Although they play SFM relatively rarely, the complete Hot Rocks, disc 2, was played entirely a couple of times during 2014-2016. See e.q. Buenos Aires show-1 La Plata 07-Feb-2016. Actually, HR, disc 2, is a core for their shows for ages, 7 songs per show is a routine. This time they just shuffle them a bit.
- 4 songs from Hot Rocks, disc 1. UMT and PWF surely are relatively rare.
- IORR, TD, MY, SMU are warhorses and appear almost every night.
- OOC was played routinely during 2014-2016. Personally, I call it modern day warhorse, it is not unique these days.
- Happy and Slipping Away. I want somebody call them a surprise and rare.
- 2 songs from B&L.
- Mr.D - a surprise song.

So, basically we got 1 obscurity (Mr. D), 2 new songs, 2 (or 3) rarely played (but still well known from Hot Rocks - UMT, PWF, SFM).

Why so much excitement? The fact they shuffle warhorses? I would say - this is a typical set list.

In 1989-90 they essentially played half of REWIND (Miss You, Undercover Of The Night, Start Me Up, Brown Sugar, Angie, Tumbling Dice and IORR) as well as all but one track from HOT ROCKS D2.

It's a brave new world for a bunch of old dogs, opening with the Casio version of SFTD and playing 2 new songs plus something they haven't played since 1973.

I get your point... but this may be as good as it gets now, these little surprises like Play With Fire and Dancing With Mr D.

Date: September 10, 2017 18:46

Winning Ugly VXII
DandelionPowderman

I don't follow you here confused smiley

It was stripped down and hauntingly beautiful - as opposed to the non-dynamic synth/strings-heavy 1989-version, imo.

I guess that you have a point. I watched a lower quality video last night and today there is a better quality video up. I wouldn't call the 1989 version non-dynamic,though.

Anyway,I see a trend here since Matt Clifford has returned to the scene. He seems to be nostalgic about the songs performed in 1989 and 1990. First "2000 Light Years" , then "Can't Be Seen" , then "Mixed Emotions" , and now "Play With Fire" .

What will be next?? "Almost Hear You Sigh" , "Red Rooster" , "Blinded By Love" , "Sad Sad Sad" ??

Yeah, that might be a good observation! Has he taken over the setlist duty from Chuck, perhaps? smiling smiley

"Non-dynamic" was a stretch, but the ballads were a bit brutal-sounding" in 89/90 (Angie, Factory Girl, Ruby Tuesday and Play With Fire).

Date: September 10, 2017 18:49

<these little surprises like Play With Fire and Dancing With Mr D>

Add UMT, REOD and Just Your Fool and we have three more surprises.

The blues numbers were excellent.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 10, 2017 18:58

Happy to see both Ride 'em on Down AND Just Your Fool as I thought they would only play one or the other ala Desert Trip/Vegas.
But are they really surprises when they were just played less than a year ago?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-10 18:59 by Hairball.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: September 10, 2017 19:12

boogaloojef
They seem enamored with Out of Control among more recent songs. Why not try I Go Wild or Saint of Me for example?

I wish they would give Miss You a rest.

I've come to accept that 'Miss You' will be played at every show. Someone who was at the show last night commented that the crowd 'went wild' when it was played. It does represent a particular era and sound and, although there are better examples of that era and sound ('Dance (Pt. 1)' for one), its position in the set list is justified.

With regards to 'Out of Control', I would like to have seen it replaced, especially as it was played widely on the last European tour. However, instead of swapping it with another song from Bridges to Babylon (the relatively 'modern' era was covered with 'Slipping Away' and the two songs released just last year), it would have been nice to hear a relatively little played classic - 'Can't You Hear Me Knocking' being my preferred choice.

If 'Out of Control' had been replaced with 'Can't You Hear Me Knocking' in Hamburg, that would have been a great set list, as opposed to a good one. It would have been greater yet had 'Miss You' been replaced with 'Dance (Pt. 1)' but that really is unlikely to ever happen.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 10, 2017 19:39

Pretty damn good mix of warhorses and obscure stuff.

Posted by: LukeTheDrifter ()
Date: September 10, 2017 20:26

Where the f is Back To Zero?! Or Winning Ugly?
This is a travesty!

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: September 10, 2017 20:33

I'd say this is one of the best setlists in recent years. Dancing with Mr.D and Play With Fire just totally made my day anyway.

Re: Hamburg Germany 09-Sep-2017 Stones No Filter live show updates
Date: September 11, 2017 00:04

chatoyancy
It was only the first show. Keith takes time to warm up. Literally. Usually he takes off his jacket. He was cold last night. He is not an extrovert like Jagger. That's why he always had to have a strong drink before a show. But since he cut down on the liquor he has to deal soberly with a sudden crowd of 80,000 people. Not easy for a shy guy. Give him time.

He took 2,5 song to warm up. He was all smiles during the B&L-numbers, and sounded great. The solos are only 3 percent of what he did in that 2,5 hour show.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 11, 2017 00:07

Rockman
what did Mr Deeeeeee sound like .... ??????????? gutsy ?????

Sexy. The dancing kind. Guitars raunchy. Strong drum.
And Mick gave some shimmy- in silky blue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-11 00:07 by 35love.

Date: September 11, 2017 00:10

chatoyancy
It was only the first show. Keith takes time to warm up. Literally. Usually he takes off his jacket. He was cold last night. He is not an extrovert like Jagger. That's why he always had to have a strong drink before a show. But since he cut down on the liquor he has to deal soberly with a sudden crowd of 80,000 people. Not easy for a shy guy. Give him time.

He certainly wasn't smiling as much as usual during the first numbers. I noticed he was touching his nose frequently, however.

Date: September 11, 2017 00:11

open-g
Uhm, you put Tumbling Dice in the wrong slot and left out two songs, oldrocker winking smiley

@NICOS, how is Just Your Fool, Ride 'Em On Down and Play With Fire standard or was to be expected? confused smiley

Some of the keys on that setlist are wrong! Mr D and GS, at least...

Date: September 11, 2017 00:11

Fillmore
Maybe a bit late, but here is my "five cents":

what a fantastic way to start a tour! The setlist, great gosh, what a setlist! The interaction between Jagger and the audience was interesting to look at, those northmen seem a bit "colder", compared to southern audiences.

I never was Jaggers biggest fan, but now i have to think about that. Man, did he sing and perform great last night!
Richards played his solo. In different songs. In different keys. Often in the same key the song was in. Looking sharp, wise, great. A bit old, but he is. Still wouldn´t wanna mess with him. It´s good that he is anywhere, right? Mr Holz (thanks for that one, Sir Mick) is a living piece of guitar rocking comedy and almost slapstick. Worth his weight in gold! Mr Watts looked better than ever and played like a young god. Fowler rocks and grooves, Karl Denson is where he belongs now! Great tone, cool person, all thumbs up. Sascha Allen is good, although I still "think" about Lisa Fisher in the 90ies concerts.
I love the slower speed a couple of songs were played in. Fine tuned and groovin´to the max. Good stuff.
I could live without a few of the so-called warhorses but I can live with them as well very well. And the "masses" might need them.

The way back to Munich today had it´s tricks - my flight with Lufthansa was cancelled - and all the following ones were overbooked. But now - home sweet home, getting ready for Olympiastadion on Tuesday.

For a couple of hours I almost had started whining about the stress to get to that concert - and spending the time waiting for it. With the first beats of SFTD (my heart literally skipped a beat) everything was alright again. Enjoy while you can - concerts like the one in Hamburg are worth every effort.

Thank you and good night
fillmore

thumbs up Thank You!

Date: September 11, 2017 00:15

Cristiano Radtke
MacLaurens
Anyone who knows where to find that long sleeved red/white t-shirt Mick wore or is it limited Jagger-edition?

UK: [store.digitalstores.co.uk]

USA: [therollingstonesshop.com]

Gosh I LOVE official RS clothing! I do. Another SOLD! xxoo

Posted by: frtg55 ()
Date: September 11, 2017 00:27

I only heard some of the youtube clips.
Some songs, in fact the guitars, sounded really terrible.
SympathyFDD was purely chaos. Under my thumb was rubbish.
It seems, that our two guitar heros were not able to bring it on anymore.
Some songs sounded ok, but not more. No real kick, even not on RAMBLER!

Great was "Dancing with Mr D"!
Great garage-style-sound!
Not perfekt, but rough and dirty!

My idea: "We need a wall of sound"!!
Bring Mick Taylor on the whole show!!!
Ronnie and Keith - please, play both only rhythm parts (this leads to a bright, big fat soundcarpet) and let Mick T. take all the soloing!

It would bring a freshness with a quiet new sound to the band!

Cut off all these songs, they are great, but overheared:

Tumbling dice
It's only R'N'R
Out of control
Paint it black
Angie
Wild horses
Honky Tonk Women
Slow Keith songs
Miss you
Start me up
Brown sugar
Satisfaction

Don't play them or play them totaly difficult in arrangement, tempo and bring on more jamming and improvisation!

And please
- play YCAGWYW without horn, chor, and tempoliftup - do it like in 1981 or 1976 only with guitar and perhaps a sax-solo!

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 11, 2017 00:33

Silver Dagger
OK - just woken up in Hamburg and am pinching myself to make sure I didn't dream how great that show was. Here's Dancing With Mr D from last night.video: [youtu.be]

Brilliant stuff SD and evidence of the good spot we grabbed. I've just awoken after crashing out all day at my home in Oxfordshire. Great to meet you and everyone else we assembled and also hear all your stories from Stones gigs past. Fun.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: September 11, 2017 00:45

DandelionPowderman
chatoyancy

He took 2,5 song to warm up. He was all smiles during the B&L-numbers, and sounded great. The solos are only 3 percent of what he did in that 2,5 hour show.

Exactly right, the first solo of Sympathy you could see Keith gesturing with his hands that they hadn't warmed up yet. I'm seeing this in the youtube clip below, Keith almost knows its too early for him to do justice to this solo, he has trouble with it at the best of times. I agree with you DP, to judge a 20 second solo against 2.5 hours of playing is unfair.

Chatoyancy thumbs up agreed, Keith is a shy man, and instead of getting alcohol in him to calm his nerves he faced the audience obviously nervous and much more introverted than we expect from him. But this is the real keith, and if he sticks to his guns and stays sober it will pay off for him in a few shows time.
Watch this space, keith will be back.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 11, 2017 00:53

'Happy': [www.youtube.com]

Whether by design or incompetence of those filming, you won't see much of Keith singing on the screens. Plenty of close-ups of his guitar though.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: September 11, 2017 01:32

35love
Hairball, I wondered the exact SFTD opener- while I loved it, I was thinking Mick probably wants a solid punch / how about 'You Got Me Rocking Now'

and I must state:
Ron Wood is an Arabian thorough bred horse. Of the stud variety.
Please no

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: September 11, 2017 01:37

black n blue
35love
Hairball, I wondered the exact SFTD opener- while I loved it, I was thinking Mick probably wants a solid punch / how about 'You Got Me Rocking Now'

and I must state:
Ron Wood is an Arabian thorough bred horse. Of the stud variety.
Please no

+1 on both counts.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: September 11, 2017 01:48

hot smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 11, 2017 01:49

"Back on the job #StonesHamburg #StonesNoFilter"

[twitter.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1966
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home