Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: OT: RIP, Chris Cornell
Posted by: ohotos ()
Date: May 18, 2017 15:37

Best rock singing voice of his generation. Too bad. After seeing him with Audioslave once I was hoping to be able to catch a Soundgarden show one of these days.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 18, 2017 15:53

Woke up to two texts from friends...Very sad. RIP.

Posted by: dgodkin ()
Date: May 18, 2017 16:06

was planning to see soundgarden in Houston,great talent, this one hurts only 52,of all the 90's bands, soundgarden was in my opinion the best

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 18, 2017 16:26

Sad, a great singer RIP

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: May 18, 2017 16:31

Sad news. R.I.P.

What a drag it is gettin' old

Re: OT: RIP, Chris Cornell!
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 18, 2017 16:44

runaway
RIP Chris Cornell

Jesus Christ pose live - one of my favourites

Damn, I love that dude. And that is one of my favs as well, along w/ Slaves & Bulldozers. Very sad news

Date: May 18, 2017 17:02

The last song he performed in Detroit was supposedly a medley of «Slaves And Bulldozers» and Led Zeppelin's «In My Time Of Dying»...

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 18, 2017 17:22

Didn't know about this cover and stumbled across it on YouTube during a Chris playlist this morning. Absolutely amazing vocals, as usual. Soooooooo much talent.

Ave Maria

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-18 18:01 by VoodooLounge13.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 18, 2017 17:30

LeonidP
runaway
RIP Chris Cornell

Damn, I love that dude. And that is one of my favs as well, along w/ Slaves & Bulldozers. Very sad news

Good to hear that's a favor song as well and yes a sad day
Great Soundgarden gig: Pinkpop Festival 1992 21:30 minutes on youtube

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-18 18:53 by runaway.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 18, 2017 18:53

runaway
LeonidP
runaway
RIP Chris Cornell

Good to hear and yes a sad day

They were great, I got to see them live in '93 not too long before the initial breakup. I understand why some didn't like him, but I always thought CC's vocals were amazing - he'll be missed.

Kim Thayil is of course, amazing, but I also love Tom Morello's mesmerizing solos w/ Audioslave as well.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: May 18, 2017 18:55

listen to HIGHER TRUTH Cornell album 2015. A fantastic album
great harp on WORRIED MOON
a fantastic song too is Dead Wishes (sad smiley)

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 18, 2017 18:59

During that so-called grunge era, I always thought he and Soundgarden were the real deal and stood at the top of all the other bands. Alice in Chains were also up there, as well as Nirvana.
When listening to those bands, it becomes clear where bands like Stone Temple Pilots and Pearl Jam got most of their ideas, and a majority of their sound from.

Still a bit shocked - only 52...and now learning it might have been suicide...damn ...

RIP.

Date: May 18, 2017 19:00

LeonidP
runaway
LeonidP
runaway
RIP Chris Cornell

Good to hear and yes a sad day

They were great, I got to see them live in '93 not too long before the initial breakup. I understand why some didn't like him, but I always thought CC's vocals were amazing - he'll be missed.

Kim Thayil is of course, amazing, but I also love Tom Morello's mesmerizing solos w/ Audioslave as well.

Soundgarden opened the doors for more Seattle Grunge Bands when most stadium rock bands became a bore

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: May 18, 2017 19:03

I loathe grunge, but Chris Cornell was a great singer.

Date: May 18, 2017 19:11

BowieStone

Have to say, he and Soundgarden went quite a bit beyond the typical 'grunge' sound - lots of metal and hard rock intertwined with the grunge elements which they pioneered.
They were a really great band back in the heyday, not everyones cup of tea though....

Date: May 18, 2017 19:20

Hairball
BowieStone

Have to say, he and Soundgarden went quite a bit beyond the typical 'grunge' sound -

Probably why I like them better.

Posted by: Toxic34 ()
Date: May 18, 2017 19:46

Still trying to come to grips with the news. It truly is a sad day for music fans everywhere.

The dead just seem to keep piling up, as it feels like celebrities are dying far more often than they used to.

Date: May 18, 2017 19:50

BowieStone
Hairball
BowieStone

Have to say, he and Soundgarden went quite a bit beyond the typical 'grunge' sound -

Probably why I like them better.

Besides the Soundgarden I picked up Nirvana's "Bleach" vinyl at the time, this band was blank to me but at thirst listen it was great like garage rock

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 18, 2017 20:01

dgodkin
of all the 90's bands

Makes me think that ALL three singers from the three main grunge bands (Nirvana AIC Soundgarden) encountered an untimely death : Cobain, Staley and Cornell.

Pretty gloomy huh... confused smiley

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 18, 2017 20:01

What they're describing as a 'suicide' sounds strangely similar to Michael Hutchence death.

Just saw him in Memphis 10 days ago, here's a few videos I took:

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Was supposed to play here in St. Louis Saturday at the close of a 2 weekend local music festival which lost it's closer last weekend due to band illness (obviously this one is much more tragic).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-18 20:02 by kovach.

Date: May 18, 2017 20:09

dcba
dgodkin
of all the 90's bands

Makes me think that ALL three singers from the three main grunge bands (Nirvana AIC Soundgarden) encountered an untimely death : Cobain, Staley and Cornell.

Yeah...they could have labeled it Gloom Rock, and it would have been just as approprriate.
There was really nothing uplifting and lighthearted about any of that music, and with the untimely deaths of all these singers (suicide, heroin od, etc.), there will always be a somber veil over it.

Date: May 18, 2017 20:16

dcba
dgodkin
of all the 90's bands

Well no. Pearl Jam is one of the three main grunge bands.
Please give some credit to my least favorite band of all time (alongside RHCP).

Date: May 18, 2017 20:26

Hairball
dcba
dgodkin
of all the 90's bands

Yeah...they could have labeled it Gloom Rock, and it would have been just as approprriate.
There was really nothing uplifting and lighthearted about any of that music, and with the untimely deaths of all these singers (suicide, heroin od, etc.), there will always be a somber veil over it.

Uplifting and lighthearted sounds strange to me in the Rock 'n Roll: all these bands contributed to Rock 'n Roll!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 18, 2017 21:28

Hairball
BowieStone

Have to say, he and Soundgarden went quite a bit beyond the typical 'grunge' sound - lots of metal and hard rock intertwined with the grunge elements which they pioneered.
They were a really great band back in the heyday, not everyones cup of tea though....
There's no GRUNGE sound though. Soundgarden and Alice in Chains were basically heavy metal. Nirvana was rock'n'roll and punk, and Pearl Jam was pretty much straight-up rock'n'roll.

Grunge was simply a media term. That, and the fact that they wore street clothes onstage and didn't try to look outrageous or larger than life.

That's really all the grunge scene was. That's why I don't understand why it gets so much hate. Would people really rather have had Poison and Warrant continue to dominate the hard rock scene?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 18, 2017 21:30

BowieStone

Well no. Pearl Jam is one of the three main grunge bands.

PJ is not grunge but poppy-rock.

Date: May 18, 2017 21:33

keefriff99
Hairball
BowieStone

There's no GRUNGE sound though. Soundgarden and Alice in Chains were basically heavy metal. Nirvana was rock'n'roll and punk, and Pearl Jam was pretty much straight-up rock'n'roll.

Grunge was simply a media term. That, and the fact that they wore street clothes onstage and didn't try to look outrageous or larger than life.

That's really all the grunge scene was. That's why I don't understand why it gets so much hate. Would people really rather have had Poison and Warrant continue to dominate the hard rock scene?

There are grunge chords and tunings that those bands pioneered.

No metal guitarist wanted to play like Kim Thajil (spelling). However, his tunings and style certainly attracted rock guitarists.

Even Keith flirted with the grunge sound on the 999-riff.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 18, 2017 22:00

dcba
dgodkin
of all the 90's bands

But two of those offed themselves!! Unless Staley died on purpose which could be...I didn't find Seattle nearly so depressing...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-18 22:23 by Munichhilton.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: May 18, 2017 22:11

Horrific

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: May 19, 2017 00:02

Great great voice. Sad news.

Date: May 19, 2017 00:12

runaway
Hairball
dcba
dgodkin
of all the 90's bands

Uplifting and lighthearted sounds strange to me in the Rock 'n Roll: all these bands contributed to Rock 'n Roll!

Of course they did.

There's plenty of great uplifting AND/OR lighthearted songs in the rock and roll world that are great - nothing strange about it. Starting with Johnny B.Goode probably - a lighthearted tale about about a country boy and his guitar. Or the Stones' Honkey Tonk Women - a lighthearted tale of 'honky tonk women'. Or Dylan's Rainy Day Women 12 & 35 - a lighthearted tale of a lonely guy who wants to gets stoned with everybody! Or the Beatles Bungalow Bill, Yellow Submarine, Octopus's Garden to name just a few. Millions of more great songs by other artists that could be considered lighthearted. As for uplifting rock songs - ditto. Thinking the Stones Shine a Light or You Can;t Always Get What You Want.. Or Van Morrison's Tupelo Honey or Bright Side of the Road. Or the Beatles With a Little Help from My Friends. The list goes on, and while some of those examples might not perfectly fit in to the 'lighthearted' or 'uplifting catgeories' for some, it might have to do with how one defines the terms, but for me they are what they are.

Anyhow, suicide has been confirmed for Chris Cornell - found hanging in the bathroom of his hotel room...crazy sad...

confused smiley

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1550
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home