Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8
Re: Blue and Lonesome vs Crosseyed Heart
Date: March 14, 2017 15:00

Doxa
What is this romantic bullshit about ”originality”? That technically some half-baked sketches based on old cliches and way-too circulated patterns is credited to some artist releasing a new product tells something about ”originality” or ”creativity”? My ass. I guess there is some sort of romantic myth based on the golden days of rock music that the performers are ”artists” that supposedly should release some novel ideas (in the form of ”songs”) every once in a while, no matter how long time the supposed artist has lost any inspiration to have anything to 'say' or 'add' what one has already done. To be "alive"? The 'new' songs are like some mcdonalds burgers the customers and producers are eager to have in market, no matter both sides have lost the point why to do it. It is just a habit, a custom. The romantic drive for 'authenticity', 'novelty', oh yeah, let's even talk about even the 'geniouses'.

There are songs in CROSS-EYED HEART that have originality as much as there is originality in the next BigMac. And as much artistic novelty. What there actually is a product based solely on the brand consisted of the personality and idiosyncratic musicianship of Keith Richards. If you like that brand – that is: you are so familiar with it – you most likely enjoy the product. In that scenario one starts to describe it by terms like its all about ”feeling” and ”sincerity” - in the vocabulary of Keith Richards brand believers that excuses the over-all laziness, the drive for easy musical decisions, the lack of discipline, mediocre, sloppy musicianship... The brand is strongly rooted that it excuses almost anything. It is the best brand in the history of rock and roll. It is actually so good that anyone buying it has in the case of it lost about any musical criterion established in everywhere else. It goes so deep that if the ”Keef” farts loud enough that will be an act of ”feeling”. So it is no a big surprise that to see the ”greatness” of CROSS-EYED HEART is a cult of of 'chosen ones' – for the ears and eyes trained by decades devotion. For the rest it is almost impossible to understand what there is more than an old legend doing the minimum, the obvious and playing for the brand. A tiresome experience to listen more than two-three times. But LIFE is much better and enjoyable product of the brand. No wonder it sold much more than the album.

The greatness, if there is any, of BLUE&LONESOME is that it doesn't have any ”artistic” or ”creative” pretensions. Just the band concentrating playing some old covers as good as they can. The miracle of it is that they end up sounding surprisingly inspired and probably fresher than they have for decades on record (or elsewhere). What is even more, and actually unbelieveable taking the ancient non-trendy form of Chicago blues, they succeeded sounding surprisingly good for non-devotees. Probably that kind of music is rooted in every rock fan's DNA, but actually making that sound good and catchy is almost unhearable in recent history. No excuses is needed, not even saying 'hey, it's the Stones, man', but just let the music in terms of its own do the talking. For many people - which explains its good numbers - it is good despite being made by the way too obvious and old brand called the Stones.

So forget all the bullshit about ”originality”, ”authenticity” and whatever romantic notions. Skip the creditions and just listen the music. That only matters.

- Doxa, a retired old grumpy man

Damn! I'm glad to see you here, brother thumbs up Welcome back smileys with beer

BTW, the «brand» is called a signature sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-14 15:05 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 14, 2017 15:11

Dang Doxa, I almost hated CEH by the time I finished those first few paragraphs...then I remembered that I like it very much. Hahaa!

Yeah, it's good to have you back.

In small doses.

Every once in a while.

Just kidding!

LB says welcome back too. smileys with beer

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 14, 2017 15:17

Doxa

There are songs in CROSS-EYED HEART that have originality as much as there is originality in the next BigMac. And as much artistic novelty. What there actually is a product based solely on the brand consisted of the personality and idiosyncratic musicianship of Keith Richards. If you like that brand – that is: you are so familiar with it – you most likely enjoy the product. In that scenario one starts to describe it by terms like its all about ”feeling” and ”sincerity” - in the vocabulary of Keith Richards brand believers that excuses the over-all laziness, the drive for easy musical decisions, the lack of discipline, mediocre, sloppy musicianship... The brand is strongly rooted that it excuses almost anything. It is the best brand in the history of rock and roll. It is actually so good that anyone buying it has in the case of it lost about any musical criterion established in everywhere else. It goes so deep that if the ”Keef” farts loud enough that will be an act of ”feeling”. So it is no a big surprise that to see the ”greatness” of CROSS-EYED HEART is a cult of of 'chosen ones' – for the ears and eyes trained by decades devotion. For the rest it is almost impossible to understand what there is more than an old legend doing the minimum, the obvious and playing for the brand. A tiresome experience to listen more than two-three times. But LIFE is much better and enjoyable product of the brand. No wonder it sold much more than the album.

It's an f'n Keith Richards solo album, seriously what did you expect? Funny though that you bought it and you still knew what you were going to hear. And you listened at least three times no less, makes no sense. Or maybe you didn't buy it and listened to the rough cut that came out beforehand.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: March 14, 2017 15:30

Maindefender
Doxa

It's an f'n Keith Richards solo album, seriously what did you expect? Funny though that you bought it and you still knew what you were going to hear. And you listened at least three times no less, makes no sense. Or maybe you didn't buy it and listened to the rough cut that came out beforehand.

Agreed Maindefender. I like Doxa, so intelligent and great to read his posts, But, and its a big BUT. Doxa looses the plot when he talks about Keith and Keithetts, so ridiculously biased against the man and his fans that it is laughable. Crosseyed Heart was better than any of us could have imagined. Period. Nothing Grumpy about Keith these days either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-14 15:37 by stone4ever.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: March 14, 2017 15:34

When one dissects rock and roll with sharp intellectual scalpels, morsels of truth may appear but the shit ain't fun anymore; philosophysing is alright but it doesn't get me hard.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 14, 2017 15:37

There are songs on CH that sound rather demo-like than finished takes... Some tracks seem to have no melody at all... some are almost ruined by unfitting fade-outs... some are plain boring... Personally I don´t like the background vocals and the sound of the drums...

Yes there are three or four very good songs, but somehow even those songs get kind of boring with time. Too many ballads, not enough catchy tunes. A solid but average album that gets more praise than it deserves imo.

Date: March 14, 2017 15:40

HMS
There are songs on CH that sound rather demo-like than finished takes... Some tracks seem to have no melody at all... some are almost ruined by unfitting fade-outs... some are plain boring... Personally I don´t like the background vocals and the sound of the drums...

Yes there are three or four very good songs, but somehow even those songs get kind of boring with time. Too many ballads, not enough catchy tunes. A solid but average album that gets more praise than it deserves imo.

Haha this from a man who thinks Dirty Work is great.

Date: March 14, 2017 15:42

To defind Doxa a little: I think he is doing the exercise of stripping the words down to what they originally mean. Creative, original, novel, new.

If we stop for a minute, we'll find that most of the music today, no matter who it comes from, is neither especially original or creative – hence the new songs is not a stand-alone argument for Crosseyed Heart to be superior to the cover album Blue And Lonesome.

Then again, if we're going this route, this could be said about ALL of the Stones's music – as their contemporaries had more accomplished and thorough explorations into the same kind of music. The Stones's formula, though – the simpleness (and to the point-sound) – was exactly what triggered me with their music.

Approaching the same sound and simpleness today, though, is seen by my finnish friend as the opposite of creative, it's amateurish and sloppy.

I don't agree with that. On the contrary, I think it's a wise move, keeping it simple (I'm also talking about the songwriting and arranging here). Because I don't think I can expect more than this from a very old man, with fingers that look like baseball bats, singing with a sandpaper throat (a lovely one, though).

I know that you – at least at one point – enjoyed Crosseyed Heart, Doxa. This must have been the album in your lifetime that you grew the most tired of? smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-14 15:44 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 14, 2017 15:53

I have a 'Crosseyed Heart'
love BOTH Mick and Keith
love BOTH B & L and Crosseyed Heart albums.
I refuse to defend myself.

I love Keith's production, meaning the EXQUISITE layering of sums (guitar, musical instruments)
It IS reminiscent of Exile on Mainstreet. That same timing from God, placed in Keith's soul and ears.

I don't think I need to state again (million times) how I feel about Jagger's voice, sexual presence, lyrics, etc. etc.

We can love both. One love. Rolling Stones. Different flavors of the same root meal.

Date: March 14, 2017 16:02

35love
love BOTH Mick and Keith

I love Keith's production, meaning the EXQUISITE layering of sums (guitar, musical instruments)
It IS reminiscent of Exile on Mainstreet. That same timing from God, placed in Keith's soul and ears.

I don't think I need to state again (million times) how I feel about Jagger's voice, sexual presence, lyrics, etc. etc.

We can love both. One love. Rolling Stones. Different flavors of the same root meal.

Now that is a beautiful perspective and so very true. We shouldn't need to defend loving an album. If people don't like something they should understand that it doesn't make it so for everyone. Like Crosseyed Heart doesn't have enough melody's, well that's to the greater power of Keith because he manages to pull off great music without melody's, he doesn't need them because he is a genius one could suspect.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 14, 2017 16:21

HMS
B&L isn´t their best album "since 81" but "their best album since 86".

Of course it's their best album since 86 - because that one sucks. And 83 and 89 and 94 and 97 and 05.

It's their best album since 81.

Date: March 14, 2017 16:22

stone4ever
HMS

Obviously HMS listens to CH a lot to "know" all that.

Date: March 14, 2017 16:27

Doxa

CROSSEYED HEART (not sure why you spell it CROSS-EYED) is better than the past 2 things Jagger has released. It can be that simple. And that's all it is.

Doxa
The greatness, if there is any, of BLUE&LONESOME is that it doesn't have any ”artistic” or ”creative” pretensions. Just the band concentrating playing some old covers as good as they can. The miracle of it is that they end up sounding surprisingly inspired and probably fresher than they have for decades on record (or elsewhere). What is even more, and actually unbelieveable taking the ancient non-trendy form of Chicago blues, they succeeded sounding surprisingly good for non-devotees. Probably that kind of music is rooted in every rock fan's DNA, but actually making that sound good and catchy is almost unhearable in recent history. No excuses is needed, not even saying 'hey, it's the Stones, man', but just let the music in terms of its own do the talking. For many people - which explains its good numbers - it is good despite being made by the way too obvious and old brand called the Stones.

It is a good album. Easily their best (new) release since 1981. I love it. They probably have 20 albums of blues recordings from album sessions just sitting around that they could release and they'd all be just as good as B&L. It's the Stones, man.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 14, 2017 16:58

Doxa seems to be back with a vengeance. It's a bit curious though that everything he says about Crosseyed Heart you might as well say about Exile. Nothing particularly "new" or "original" to turn blues, soul and rock jams into songs, not even back in the early 70s.
What surprises me, now, as it did a year ago, is where Doxa's passionate dislike to people liking anything Keith does (mind: I am not saying *everything* Keith does) comes from. It sounds a bit like someone who has been forced to take his idol from his pedestal and now has gone to the other extreme.
And - ironically - he's right about B&L not having any pretensions, which - I agree - makes it a damn hell of a lot easier to listen to than most other Stones output of the last 30 years (let alone most Jagger solo work), but it also means the end of the band. What's a band without pretentions? Without pretentions the Stones never would have tried to be the best blues band of London, or compete with the Beatles, or be the greatest rock n roll band in the world.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 14, 2017 17:04

stone4ever
HMS

DW isn´t great but very good. And better by far than CH.

Date: March 14, 2017 17:37

35love
love BOTH Mick and Keith

Hell yeah I basically just want to dance to the music.....there is another one to go (and I'm to old and wise to be naive.....lol)

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: March 14, 2017 18:15

I am glad that both albums exist and I can listen to both of them. Personally I prefer B&L. First of all because it is a Stones album, of the whole band and not only just by one member, it is a collective effort. But it is also much more "listenable", enjoyably to me. So many great songs, the Stones are on fire and sound raw and fresh. I even would say hungry. I also like CH, but for me it is a bit too long and there are too many very similar songs on it. And too many ballads. Still I am glad Keith did it.

Date: March 14, 2017 18:20

Keith can sure write ballads though......smoking smiley

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 14, 2017 18:25

Doxa, very glad you weighed in here!

I'm glad to read your posts again.

smileys with beer

Date: March 14, 2017 18:31

Even when what he writes is BS lol
Gotta love him though, it's not what he writes it's the way Doxa writes it, with style. You can be forgiven for saying BS when it's with panache

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-14 18:55 by stone4ever.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 14, 2017 18:38

matxil
Doxa seems to be back with a vengeance. It's a bit curious though that everything he says about Crosseyed Heart you might as well say about Exile. Nothing particularly "new" or "original" to turn blues, soul and rock jams into songs, not even back in the early 70s.
What surprises me, now, as it did a year ago, is where Doxa's passionate dislike to people liking anything Keith does (mind: I am not saying *everything* Keith does) comes from. It sounds a bit like someone who has been forced to take his idol from his pedestal and now has gone to the other extreme.
And - ironically - he's right about B&L not having any pretensions, which - I agree - makes it a damn hell of a lot easier to listen to than most other Stones output of the last 30 years (let alone most Jagger solo work), but it also means the end of the band. What's a band without pretentions? Without pretentions the Stones never would have tried to be the best blues band of London, or compete with the Beatles, or be the greatest rock n roll band in the world.

Yes Doxa has returned with a vengeance, continuing where he left off - trashing Crosseyed Heart with an indescribable zealousness, and probably with more words than necessary. Sometimes hard to tell if it's satirical, or if the dissection of a simple rock and roll album is totally sincere. If the former, it's lacking a bit of humour and/or sarcasm. If the latter, wondering where the deep hatred comes from...it's as if the leader he once worshiped has been proven a false prophet, and it's time to turn the tables. In any case, welcome back Doxa. winking smiley

Crosseyed Heart - an album of originals (mostly) that had some curveballs (i.e. Substantial Damage), and some tunes that were indeed in the comfort zone - but original neverthless. Great listening from start to finish - whether deciphering the lyrics, tracing the influences, or simply enjoying the music itself...there was much to enjoy and there still is.

Blue and Lonesome - an album of tried and true blues covers without any pretensions that can almost be described as 'easy listening'. Nothing challenging or truly 'new' about it...simply an album of decent covers made by a great band. But like a good book or movie, once it's been read or seen, it usually ends up on the shelf after a short period. With that said, it is better than anything the band has released in decades imo, and it took going back to the roots to accomplish that.

But when you think of the two together as a pair - both released almost within a year of each other - it's almost miraculous. Two or three years ago, it's hard to imagine that the best Stones (B&L)and Stones related albums (CH) in 30+ years would soon be in our lives. In that sense, there's reason for celebration and appreciation of both in a big way. It gives hope that whatever comes next could possibly be a part of the trilogy of greatness...a renaissance this late in their career.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 14, 2017 18:39

Maybe a talent shared with Keith. winking smiley

Keith can always talk prize bullshit with extreme panache.

Date: March 14, 2017 18:46

Aren't country ballads BS when you think about it. Otherwise we may not get lyrics like this:

You're just like shooting stars hanging round in bars
Well it bores me

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 14, 2017 18:52

Doxa is back and HMS is in good form. Good to see. Happy days here on IORR!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 14, 2017 18:57

By the way, I think "Crosseyed Cat" is better than anything on B&L or CH. Don't you? Here it is: [www.youtube.com]

Date: March 14, 2017 19:00

Spud
Maybe a talent shared with Keith. winking smiley

Keith can always talk prize bullshit with extreme panache.

Haha can't argue with that.

Who else can sing, ''cos i'm hanging round in bars with a lot of shooting stars'' and it tugs at your heart strings instead of make you roll your eyes winking smiley

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 14, 2017 19:08

I like both
I would cut CH short of a couple of songs (suspicious? nothing on me? love overdue?) but I still love to put on this record on a regular basis and enjoy because yes, I love that brand, loved since I was 13 smiling smiley
B&L has a perfect lenght and also a very good tracklist, it is covers of course and, as much as I know there's some truth in Doxa (welcome back) argument about originality, that counts, no deny. Still I found most of these covers strong (that is "stoned" enough) some really really good stuff absolutely. Still spinning it a lot these days.
2 keepers

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: March 14, 2017 20:04

Doxa
What is this romantic bullshit about ”originality”? That technically some half-baked sketches based on old cliches and way-too circulated patterns is credited to some artist releasing a new product tells something about ”originality” or ”creativity”? My ass. I guess there is some sort of romantic myth based on the golden days of rock music that the performers are ”artists” that supposedly should release some novel ideas (in the form of ”songs”) every once in a while, no matter how long time the supposed artist has lost any inspiration to have anything to 'say' or 'add' what one has already done. To be "alive"? The 'new' songs are like some mcdonalds burgers the customers and producers are eager to have in market, no matter both sides have lost the point why to do it. It is just a habit, a custom. The romantic drive for 'authenticity', 'novelty', oh yeah, let's even talk about even the 'geniouses'.

So forget all the bullshit about ”originality”, ”authenticity” and whatever romantic notions. Skip the creditions and just listen the music. That only matters.

I think that is a good discussion all in all. Sometimes I think that if Keith or Mick recorded their bathroom noises, there would be some who would find hidden depths or the blues roots in it.

There comes a point, just about now, when you've got to hold your hands up and look and listen objectively at what is being churned out of the Stones machine....

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 14, 2017 20:09

Doxa

It is indeed very nice anew and once again to meet the challenge of reading one of your thought provoking posts, Doxa! It really is a deep pleasure! Be it in agreement or in disagreement!

Posted by: keefgotsoul ()
Date: March 14, 2017 20:18

Regarding the "lack of discipline" that doxa mentioned about Keith on CE...

I'd say that a lack of discipline is just the thing Jagger needs! Mick needs to come out of his comfort zone and not be afraid to get a little sloppy. That is after all, what made the Stones so great in my opinion. All the best Stones moments show a major lack of discipline and a general rough around the edges charm. Gimme the Glimmer Twins a little juiced up and sloppy instead of sterile any day.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1625
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home