Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8
Re: Blue and Lonesome vs Crosseyed Heart
Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: March 18, 2017 16:20

I would agree that Keith lost his 'genius' years ago, although genius is such a loaded term. You don't want to say that he came up with those great songs purely by inspiration. He had talent, he was always working, his antennae was always up, he was surrounded by great ideas and great talent.
Also, I don't think his revisionism to reject the idea that the Stones were sloppy and just sort of showed up and put things together on the fly. Listen to a song like Wild Horses and count how many layers and different guitars have been painstakingly worked in there. And how many months and takes did they work on BS until the great raw take in Muscle Shoals ... and then they built on that for many more months.
The great Stones period -- 68-72 -- wasn't a natural steppingstone from their early period, Mick and Keith created it through this act of will and calculation and making decisions about what they would sound like.
I'm talking more about in the studio. I feel I'm on slippier ground talking about their live act.
What happened after 1972? They had their moments, but I think they just got older, had more distractions, the drugs and alcohol took their toll, Keith and Mick had musical differences, and now they are basically a Stones cover band. They're stuck doing themselves, which, being a great band to start with, has given them a 30-40 year run.
Just throwing out my opinion. People like doxa and hopkins are really interesting to read.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 18, 2017 16:57

Doxa

One just needs to listen the guitar intro and riff track of "Gimme Shelter", probably Keith's biggest creative hour, seperately to hear how technically raw and even sloppy it is, but the result especially in the context of the whole track is nothing but genious and immortal. Me thinks the best guitar track ever recorded.

- Doxa

Now you're talking.

Date: March 18, 2017 17:01

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
But shouldn't that "Sunday pensioner project" be reviewed as that as well, not be compared to Exile?

They lived music in 1972, and worked on a daily basis.

BTW, if you listen to Keith's slide guitar on TD, you'll find that he got away with a lot by 1972 already. I think you missed my point: Criticising Keith or the Stones for shortcomings as musicians is a moot point smiling smiley

With respect I think you Dandie are missing point made both by retired dog and retired Doxa... We just argued that technical excellence has nothing to do with the creativity or greatness of the Stones. That also and especially applies to their hey-day. So I really don't understand why you are insisting on that point neither of us is arguing for. Is that the technical issue, and knowing how limited the STones are in that sense, is such an important thing for you as a musician?

One just needs to listen the guitar intro and riff track of "Gimme Shelter", probably Keith's biggest creative hour, seperately to hear how technically raw and even sloppy it is, but the result especially in the context of the whole track is nothing but genious and immortal. Me thinks the best guitar track ever recorded.

- Doxa

No big deal. I was just referring to the "sloppy and amateurish playing"-part in your first post. That part was moot. Most of the other stuff was okay by me smiling smiley

Retired dog is just misinterpreting my post by taking elements from it out of context.

Your line about GS just confirms what I'm saying. Hence it isn't the playing or lack of skills that is the problem with CH.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-18 17:05 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 18, 2017 17:01

The things you get inspired by change over the years. In the early 60's I am guessing it was a great kick for Keith and Mick to discover all about those chords and nice popsongs they could create, inspired by the Beatles; the sort of kick we can still witness in Charlie Is My Darling. Then they got inspired by the new rise of blues and louder rock bands, and Keith discovering different tunes, which lead to the Big Four Albums (Big 5 if you include Get Yer Ya Ya's). Time passes by, and it waits for no-one. Picasso didn't stay in his "blue period" and neither did the Stones. Crosseyed Heart is Keith now. It ain't Gimme Shelter but it's a pleasant album, and personally I enjoy it more than B&L.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 18, 2017 17:27

Very good and important points made by wonderboy and matxil above in understanding the creative heyday of the Stones. Their points complete each other nicely. As wonderboy said, the inspiration is surely connected to working hard and dedication, and we better not to "romantice" too much the act of creativity (I especially agree that the romantic notion of "genious" is a bit fuzzy). But it is also, as matxil pointed out, related to the musical surroundings they lived and reflected back then on.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-18 17:34 by Doxa.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 18, 2017 17:54

The Rolling Stones defining period was between 1968 and 1972 (and before that 65-67). Then they kind of stopped rolling, so to speak. They managed to survive the 70's though with a couple of good records. Personally, I think Still Life was the last tour. Since 1989 they became a revival band or a nostalgia act. As Bill Wyman would tell you. The Rolling Stones musical output since the late 70's has been more or less redundant. Which is obvious if you study the live setlists.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 18, 2017 19:35

Bill Wyman of course is the right guy to talk about "revival bands" and "nostalgia acts". That´s exactly what he does with The Rhythm Kings...

If a band with a trademark sound like the Stones exists for more than five decades it´s clear that their music begins to sound more or less redundant. Everything they had to say in their specific musical language is said already, from some point in time it´s only varying the well-known. That´s every long-existing band´s fate. The Beatles were smart enough to break up at their artistical peak, who knows what kind of redundant shit they might have produced in the 70s.

Regarding CH, lately I made a compilation of all the VL-B2B-ABB-"fillers". 16 songs.I did it just for fun. But then I listened to it and actually found it more enjoyable than CH...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-18 19:36 by HMS.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: March 18, 2017 21:05

A man in his seventies comes out of virtual retirement, a man who was seen by his most ardent fans as completely washed up, a man who had apparently lost all his creative spark and musical capabilities through a serious life threatening head injury. This man against all the odds makes a @#$%& good album by anyone's standards, and people on here complain and moan about it incessantly.
I really want to know but no one will answer my question, what exactly did you expect from Keith under the circumstances ??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-18 21:19 by stone4ever.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 18, 2017 21:34

CH is a decent album with highs and lows. Maybe it´s better than expected but it is ridiculous to say it´s "the best in 30 years", "in the same league as Exile" and on and on. Just like every Stones-related release of the past 30-40 years it has a handful of good songs, some so-so-songs and two or three stinkers. It´s not a classic and imho VL, B2B and ABB are better albums, Blue And Lonesome is much more enjoyable than CH. When CH was released some people were very excited about a rather non-exciting album. By now things should have calmed down and CH should be seen in a more realistic way, it is what it is - a decent album but not a spectacular rebirth.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: March 18, 2017 21:47

These comparisons make you laugh, I take each album for what it is, I do not make comparisons, I'm happy to CH, but I'm happy for B & L.
Because this habit to compare different things, created differently by different artists,music is not a competition, there is no winner, the music and art and should be taken as such.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 19, 2017 00:16

Doxa
treaclefingers
Doxa
treaclefingers

so funny, i look at those song titles and in my head i can hear the song and micks voice on the title lyrics.

Me too haha (and unfortunately they doesn't sound too promising for me...)

- Doxa

but that's the correct approach...have exceptionally low expectations and then, THEN only be mildly disappointed with the actual results!

I think that's the implicit approach any Stones fan has adopted a long time ago to survive will they admit or not.... That especially explains the celebration Keith's album caused. That he released the bloody thing - be the content whatever - was a pleasent surprise for many. And since it included something listenable, that was an extra bonus - he wasn't totally "gone" as many feared.

- Doxa

hmmm...i fear you like the album about as much as i do.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 19, 2017 21:36

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
But shouldn't that "Sunday pensioner project" be reviewed as that as well, not be compared to Exile?

BTW, if you listen to Keith's slide guitar on TD, you'll find that he got away with a lot by 1972 already. I think you missed my point: Criticising Keith or the Stones for shortcomings as musicians is a moot point smiling smiley

With respect I think you Dandie are missing point made both by retired dog and retired Doxa... We just argued that technical excellence has nothing to do with the creativity or greatness of the Stones. That also and especially applies to their hey-day. So I really don't understand why you are insisting on that point neither of us is arguing for. Is that the technical issue, and knowing how limited the STones are in that sense, is such an important thing for you as a musician?

- Doxa

No big deal. I was just referring to the "sloppy and amateurish playing"-part in your first post. That part was moot. Most of the other stuff was okay by me smiling smiley

Retired dog is just misinterpreting my post by taking elements from it out of context.

Your line about GS just confirms what I'm saying. Hence it isn't the playing or lack of skills that is the problem with CH.

I don't think I was misinterpreting you as the tendency to "lower" the achievements in the studio and in particular live concert performances of the "golden age" was all too obvious (and not justified imho).

But whatever. Perhaps part of the truth is that to everything there is a season and that rock'n'roll artists/bands only have a limited timespan where they give everything they can possibly give and achieve everything they can possibly achieve in creative terms and after that, it's more or less repetition. While other artists seem to accept the fact that they are not able to add anything truly outstanding to their heyday's achievements not matter how hard they try, the Stones tried a different route by adding "contemporary" sounds to their music in order to give the impression of a still relevant band compared to merely an oldies act.

While this concept worked to a certain point ("Miss You", "Emotional Rescue"), latter attempts such as "Anybody Seen My Baby", "Mights As Well Get Juiced" or numerous dance mixes of certain songs received cold shoulders from their fanbase as well as from the general public. With hindsight, it would have been better for them to concentrate on what they're doing best in the past decades instead of desperately trying to sound "contemporary".

It took them decades to learn that lesson, and "Blue And Lonesome" is the result imho. Meanwhile, "Crosseyed Heart" is Keith doing what he does best, not trying to pretend what's simply not there - but it clearly shows that the well of great, memorable songs has become a bit dry, therefore some great covers would have helped to produce an album that begs for repeated listening - which it isn't, imho.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-19 21:39 by retired_dog.

Posted by: frtg55 ()
Date: March 19, 2017 21:42

B&L wins for sure!
It's rough and dirty!
Best Album since 1981!
CH ist 75 % boring!

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: March 20, 2017 00:24

Both records are great. It's a pleasure to listen to those records for sure.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: March 20, 2017 01:58

Both are great. No need to compare. Both are equally the best material since Tattoo You in my opinion.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 20, 2017 02:32

wonderboy
I would agree that Keith lost his 'genius' years ago, although genius is such a loaded term. You don't want to say that he came up with those great songs purely by inspiration. He had talent, he was always working, his antennae was always up, he was surrounded by great ideas and great talent.
Also, I don't think his revisionism to reject the idea that the Stones were sloppy and just sort of showed up and put things together on the fly. Listen to a song like Wild Horses and count how many layers and different guitars have been painstakingly worked in there. And how many months and takes did they work on BS until the great raw take in Muscle Shoals ... and then they built on that for many more months.
The great Stones period -- 68-72 -- wasn't a natural steppingstone from their early period, Mick and Keith created it through this act of will and calculation and making decisions about what they would sound like.
I'm talking more about in the studio. I feel I'm on slippier ground talking about their live act.
What happened after 1972? They had their moments, but I think they just got older, had more distractions, the drugs and alcohol took their toll, Keith and Mick had musical differences, and now they are basically a Stones cover band. They're stuck doing themselves, which, being a great band to start with, has given them a 30-40 year run.
Just throwing out my opinion. People like doxa and hopkins are really interesting to read.[/quote

Keith may have lost his way, but he's never lost his genius. Amazingly enough his future is still unwritten.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: March 20, 2017 03:20

Crosseyed Heart for me. Blue and Lonesome is great at what it does but it only does the one thing, Crosseyed Heart is way more interesting.

Date: March 20, 2017 12:12

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

I don't think I was misinterpreting you as the tendency to "lower" the achievements in the studio and in particular live concert performances of the "golden age" was all too obvious (and not justified imho).

But whatever. Perhaps part of the truth is that to everything there is a season and that rock'n'roll artists/bands only have a limited timespan where they give everything they can possibly give and achieve everything they can possibly achieve in creative terms and after that, it's more or less repetition. While other artists seem to accept the fact that they are not able to add anything truly outstanding to their heyday's achievements not matter how hard they try, the Stones tried a different route by adding "contemporary" sounds to their music in order to give the impression of a still relevant band compared to merely an oldies act.

While this concept worked to a certain point ("Miss You", "Emotional Rescue"), latter attempts such as "Anybody Seen My Baby", "Mights As Well Get Juiced" or numerous dance mixes of certain songs received cold shoulders from their fanbase as well as from the general public. With hindsight, it would have been better for them to concentrate on what they're doing best in the past decades instead of desperately trying to sound "contemporary".

It took them decades to learn that lesson, and "Blue And Lonesome" is the result imho. Meanwhile, "Crosseyed Heart" is Keith doing what he does best, not trying to pretend what's simply not there - but it clearly shows that the well of great, memorable songs has become a bit dry, therefore some great covers would have helped to produce an album that begs for repeated listening - which it isn't, imho.

Again, I was merely pointing to Doxa's argument about technical abilities as a reason to dismiss Keith's album (not the only one of his points, but a significant one).

That's why I said that even in their heyday, they could be a ramshackle, and had those shortcomings.

Like you, I love this era, as well as the music they created together.

No Stone was ever bigger than the band, including Keith. But I think it's unfair that Keith, in his mid-70s. gets this kind of flak for his album.

I apologise if I was unclear, and for thinking you cherrypicked parts of my post to make it look like I had other intentions.

Like I said, it's no big deal - and I can't see any disagreement here smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-20 12:13 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 21, 2017 03:51

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

Again, I was merely pointing to Doxa's argument about technical abilities as a reason to dismiss Keith's album (not the only one of his points, but a significant one).

That's why I said that even in their heyday, they could be a ramshackle, and had those shortcomings.

Like you, I love this era, as well as the music they created together.

No Stone was ever bigger than the band, including Keith. But I think it's unfair that Keith, in his mid-70s. gets this kind of flak for his album.

I apologise if I was unclear, and for thinking you cherrypicked parts of my post to make it look like I had other intentions.

Like I said, it's no big deal - and I can't see any disagreement here smiling smiley

Yes, no big deal - and no need to apologize for anything. I was probably a bit too sensitive after all these rants by HMS (who came up with some really thoughtful posts recently, btw!) against some classic Stones stuff in recent times so that my "Stones history revisionism/relativism alert system" went fully red...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-21 03:56 by retired_dog.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: March 21, 2017 13:06

Watched the episode 4 of S 2 of "Billions" last night and "Trouble" pop ups to musically introduce the scene of the "poker game". Just great. Listening to it by surprise in a different context was powerful. "Crosseyed Heart" rocks, mother @#$%&!!
Rockandroll,
Mops

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1668
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home