Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The "woo woo" chant inspired by Gainsbourg?
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 21, 2017 00:30

video: [youtu.be]

Anitas idea and she was a huge fan of Bonnie and the 1967 film so maybe ger idea for the woo woohs came from this great 1968 song.

Re: The "woo woo" chant inspired by Gainsbourg?
Posted by: djgab ()
Date: March 21, 2017 01:10

maybe you're right, I never tough about this connection.
Surely one of the best Gainsbourg song.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 21, 2017 02:38

Given that it's Madeline Bell doing the "wooh's," you may have something. Not sure of the original release date, though. Does it work or is it coincidence?

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 21, 2017 02:57

Towards the end of this film ...'Walkabout'.... [en.wikipedia.org]) ....the aboriginal guy is dancing around a house, doing the woo woo..(like Mick).....of course this film came out 3 years after Beggar's Banquet but that's not to say it's not a traditional chant which Mick heard on his travels in the early '60s.........maybe.....

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 21, 2017 08:51

"Woo woo [repeat multiple times]" seems so basic that it's hard to imagine that anybody was influenced by anybody else. It's like "la la la."

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: March 21, 2017 10:21

I dont know this song, but I had a girlfriend for a while long ago who was great at seeing/hearing observing things that... I dont know how to describe it... but she was fun and funny and one time she shouted out WOO HOO during a song... and I laughed and looked at her likegrinning smiley wtf?grinning smiley... and she said "yeah, tons of songs use that as filler lyrics when they couldn't think of anything else". I had never really noticed... but after a while it indeed is true... and it became our thing to guffaw about and loudly sing the wOO HOOs as they randomly happened in random places... and sure tons of songs WOO HOO as filler.

If that is even what is being talked about here... if not...
...I think Brigitte Bardot may be the greatest woman of the last 500 years based on a long list of things that make a woman great. I did not know her early in my life because she was retired and out of my line of sight before I was old enough to know about these things... but learning later and looking back... It is not only only her beauty, it takes more to the great women she is and still alive and beautiful and doing good things. Brigitte Bardot has my greatest respect.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 21, 2017 10:26

In 1968 John Lennon had the opportunity of having a very close encounter with BB.
He was (surprisingly) rather nervous about the prospect so he dropped some acid.
Which rather wrecked the date.
What an idiot but a great anti drugs message!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 21, 2017 10:50

Gainsbourg is one of the greatest, but I can't hear the connection at all!

And of course there are million pop songs that use whoo hoo, oh yeah, baby, yo etc. as filler lyrics-

But whats great about the whoo hoo chant on Devil is the simple yet extremely powerful hypnotic rhythmic idea applied. If you sing the whoo hoo and set the time with a hand clap, there you have the essence of Devil.

Again, nothing new. Primitive tribal music around the world is full of similar examples.

C

Date: March 21, 2017 10:59

Date: March 21, 2017 11:01

Rocky Dijon
Given that it's Madeline Bell doing the "wooh's," you may have something. Not sure of the original release date, though. Does it work or is it coincidence?

It works. So does the Miller Dear mr Fantasy connection

Date: March 21, 2017 11:45

Redhotcarpet
Rocky Dijon

It works. So does the Miller Dear mr Fantasy connection

Weren't those chords (pretty standard chords, btw) already written before Miller did anything at all - and what did he do to SFTD, btw?

Date: March 21, 2017 12:10

Mr fantssy is clearly the blueprint. Another Miller Traffic production is Feelin alright which is the blueprint for Ycagwyw

Date: March 21, 2017 12:37

Redhotcarpet
Mr fantssy is clearly the blueprint. Another Miller Traffic production is Feelin alright which is the blueprint for Ycagwyw

But we have the film to document how SFTD came about...

There are many songs in E/D/A..

Date: March 21, 2017 13:11

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

But we have the film to document how SFTD came about...

There are many songs in E/D/A..

It is obvious that Miller used Traffic. They has to change the acoustic version since it would be to close. Hence Millers suggestion to change the tempo and style. The solo is clearly inspired by Mr Fantasy. We have apx 15 minutes of footage from a film.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1407
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home