Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 24
Re: The Quiet One ~ documentary about Bill
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 4, 2019 00:10

I think of her, affectionately, as Gramma, with respect actually,
when I affectionately refer to her ex husband as gramps here....
...it's not a dig; he's a great grandfather; and it seems a pretty
good father. that leo the lion ( i know very little about astrology
and not really into it except for a tiny bit cuz ignorant..)
but she seems to me here; albeit another remote fantasy from a foto...
...a real rock, a real solid, tho majestic, really informed seeming
kind of woman to me...all those kids and all that cruel bullshit SHE
went thru, at heart a Texas girl and her homey ways, despite the fashion
model elgance she carries being the right Tall and Stately even as a girl,...

...i'm in love with the way jerry showe up for bill; Bigtime.
and respect it very much; she keeps her mouth closed but she's the insider's
insider; he was lucky those years with her.
i do NOT really even wanna hear a morsel of rich guy entitlement
at the other end of it with a woman. i hate this really personal
stuff that just hurts everybody.
what she's doing? I mean this rock star biographer; i haven't read
that book but am curious of course...
what is she doing? i could frame it as admitting she was doing stuff for money
but not yet seriously interested in covering aspects of his marriages?
this is NOT a defense of any thing ever that hurts a child period and would have crashed her deal before her latent morality matured into doing this premiere evening and leaching off that; helping not one girl or woman
who needs compassionate and informed care and support?

i excuse nothing that hurts a kid ever ever...
but this is not helping spread any message other than look at me,
'i compromised by writing a lie and i'm bringing up my more truthful
perspective decades later at a press event for a movie no one's really
gonna go to except a few fans in major markets for a few days,..
and us...
it's a hideous way to approach this, had any of her story been inspired
by an honest desire to make someone less afraid, or less vulnerable to abusers.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-05 05:14 by hopkins.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 4, 2019 00:13

"As a writer you will know that one of the favourite fantasy plots of a writer is, a character's told 'you've got three months to live,' and who would you kill? I call my cancer Rupert, so I can get close to it. Because that man, Murdoch, is the one who, if I had the time (I've got too much writing to do...) I would shoot the bugger if I could. There is no one person more responsible for the pollution of what was already a fairly polluted press. And the pollution of the British press is an important part of the pollution of British political life, and it's an important part of the cynicism and misperception of our own realities that is destroying so much of our political discourse."

Dennis Potter about Rupert Murdoch in a interview with Baron Bragg (Melvyn before his peerage) on BBC three months before his death in June 1994. Dennis Potter was a famous British (and brilliant, my words) screenwriter.

Date: May 4, 2019 00:25

what do you think of The Guardian's coverage of American politics.
NOT to discuss or advocate or even slightly to open up what I'M GLAD is
not tolerated on this site....
but we're talking of this incident and press...
and also the BBC? i'm a yank in southern cal but lived a lot of places in the states, don't claim to know a thing but i do scatter shot outlets from everywhere cause i know i'm getting 'worked' in the branding age of reductionist coverages, slanted and crying slant...sorta like one political or subject-centric party interest demonizing the competition, but likely,
( unless it's either my sometimes-cynicism,
or observational perspective,
that has dragged me too far one way or the other, on issues),
but i suspect the critic as much as the subject; and like to dig
who's paying for it and where it's being mostly released; and
where it's coming from, in terms of the reporter's other reports).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-04 00:26 by hopkins.

Date: May 4, 2019 00:36

Sorry Hopkins, I do not follow The Guardian on a regular basis. The article about the documentary about Bill looked good though.
But I really can't tell since I haven't seen the documentary.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 4, 2019 01:44

Bill might have a new title after all is said and done..."The Creepy One", though I wouldn't agree with it.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: May 4, 2019 05:00

Ex-Rolling Stone Bill Wyman says he was 'stupid' to marry teen

The reshaping of the narrative begins, fair enough.

[www.nzherald.co.nz]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 4, 2019 05:42

It was stupid, and even more than that, but it is very sad to see all of these so called Rolling Stones fans to have their huge sense of morality so pretty much established here. Yer sirs, you have your field day now, enjoy! Tell us more about your disgust about old Bill! Tell us all of it! The stage is all yours!

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-04 05:46 by Doxa.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 4, 2019 06:37

Agree Doxa .… Of course they have all led such perfect lives …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: May 4, 2019 09:55

Hi Doxa, basically you say that anyone who judges Bill, like I do, can’t be a Stones fan but is a so-called fan. It reminds me of the Bush doctrine: if you are not with us, you are against us. Judging Bill hasn’t got anything to do with high morals. It’s all about normal morals. I can’t believe especially a woman is defending his appaling actions. It’s like the Stockholm syndrome: the Stones held you hostage musically for decades, somehow Re-engineered your moral standards and now they can’t do anything wrong in your view.

The art of Bill Wyman
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: May 4, 2019 13:54

The Quiet One review – controversial and evasive Bill Wyman documentary
[www.theguardian.com]

This is right on the spot...

There is, however, some nice testimony about his unfussy, but highly effective, approach to the bass from informed observers like Eric Clapton and the producer Glyn Johns. He modeled his work on that of Donald “Duck” Dunn of Booker T and the MGs. Clapton calls Wyman’s bass lines “fantastic, unique. It was so precise and so contained. It was just right,” he says.

“Leave space, don’t fill it up,” Wyman says of his approach. “You’re not a @#$%& lead guitarist. Focus on the drums, so you’ve got a solid foundation that everyone can draw upon.”

Bill has his quintessential way to play on the root note. About JJF... This guy below talks about "pedaling" on the root note... And he also stress to not playing Bill Wyman's part because it could be frustrating for a club audience... Very interesting.. Right on the spot too...

[youtu.be]

Re: The art of Bill Wyman
Date: May 4, 2019 15:04

More here: [iorr.org]

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 4, 2019 15:12

paulspendel
Hi Doxa, basically you say that anyone who judges Bill, like I do, can’t be a Stones fan but is a so-called fan. It reminds me of the Bush doctrine: if you are not with us, you are against us. Judging Bill hasn’t got anything to do with high morals. It’s all about normal morals. I can’t believe especially a woman is defending his appaling actions. It’s like the Stockholm syndrome: the Stones held you hostage musically for decades, somehow Re-engineered your moral standards and now they can’t do anything wrong in your view.

thumbs up

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: May 4, 2019 17:36

Doxa
It was stupid, and even more than that, but it is very sad to see all of these so called Rolling Stones fans to have their huge sense of morality so pretty much established here. Yer sirs, you have your field day now, enjoy! Tell us more about your disgust about old Bill! Tell us all of it! The stage is all yours!

- Doxa

This issue is a perfect example of how the mob works. I would challenge anyone here who is now bashing Wyman to point us to their posts in the past what bashed him for this. They buy his art, they talked about what a great bass player he is, they talk about the band warmly for all of these years but now they are being told they have to think differently so they are. They fall in line. This is what the mob movement is about.

Speaking of this did anyone notice that a High School is removing a George Washington mural because some students claim to be traumatized.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-04 17:38 by stanlove.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 4, 2019 18:00

All this chitter-chatter, chitter-chatter, chitter-chatter 'bout
Shmatta, shmatta, shmatta

Rolling Stones Data on Facebook (just the facts ma’am)

‘The Quiet One' is finally showing at the Tribeca film festival and will be released in the US on 21 June with a UK date yet to be announced.

Date: May 4, 2019 18:05

Bollocks, you can admire an artist for his work without necessarily admiring his private life. You can keep more than one thought in your head at the same time. It is possible.
That doesn't mean that you should always voice your opinion though...

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: May 4, 2019 18:15

Stoneage
Bollocks, you can admire an artist for his work without necessarily admiring his private life. You can keep more than one thought in your head at the same time. It is possible.
That doesn't mean that you should always voice your opinion though...

A lot of people on this board is good at this stuff. We didn't see Wyman bashing until the mob decided it was time. I wish I had time to go through the history of some of the people now bashing him. That would probably be pretty funny.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: May 4, 2019 18:37

I for one, think it's fine that Bill Wyman had a relationship with a teenage girl. Obviously some others think differently but in other cultures or in another era this would have been an acceptable practice. And Bill did clearly state in his book it was love and not lust, and Mandy Smith didn't seem unhappy about it then or now, so no harm done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-04 20:55 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 4, 2019 20:12

Most people were disgusted by Bill's action at the time. There is no revisionist history going on.
Difference today is there are more media outlets and people consume more media. And more voices in the media.
Bill himself was disgusted by his behavor. It contributed to his leaving the band.
Bill was a great bass player, contributed mightily to the sound of the band, and appears to have had a succesful second act to his life. He's gotten his shit together, good for him. But, really, he was kind of a weird guy. Even his bandmates found him strange.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 4, 2019 20:21

Yes, they found him strange because he didn't indulge in drugs (except a brief period in the early 70s), or drink to excess..and had lots of interests outside of music and partying and playing the celebrity game.
Oh, he didn't like or trust Allen Klein either. Now how strange is that?

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 4, 2019 20:36

jlowe
Yes, they found him strange because he didn't indulge in drugs (except a brief period in the early 70s), or drink to excess..and had lots of interests outside of music and partying and playing the celebrity game.
Oh, he didn't like or trust Allen Klein either. Now how strange is that?

All of them are strange, or unusual, or distinictive people. And Mick and Keith have lifestyles that may eventually get this type of independent treatment. Any serious documentary about either would create a shitstorm.
Mick and Keith know this, and have cleverly controlled their narratives for many years. Mick maintains his privacy and charms the rock media and gets a great director to make a friendly movie. Keith has written the story that he's a guy who used to experiment with drugs but quit in the aftermath of the Toronto bust.
Either one of them could teach a Masters level class in public relations.

Date: May 4, 2019 20:41

cept Stu was cool

Date: May 4, 2019 20:59

They don't live ordinary lives. The temptations for multimillionaire celebrities are endless. Most of them succumbs to it. I guess most of us would too. If we had the chance...

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: May 4, 2019 21:57

I love Bill. Saw his last show at Wembley. As they walked off I thought that was that I’d never see them again. I was wrong and right. The greatest most under rated Bass player in rock.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 4, 2019 22:50

TornAndFried
I for one, think it's fine that Bill Wyman had a relationship with a teenage girl. Obviously some others think differently but in other cultures or in another era this would have been an acceptable practice. And Bill did clearly state in his book it was love and not lust, and Mandy Smith didn't seem unhappy about it then or now, so no harm done.

Me for two grinning smiley , I think the same...............

If we all knew what "all"* our beloved "idols" did in the 60's and 70's..........no book is big enough to write it down.

* except Charlie of course

Date: May 5, 2019 00:30

Doxa

- Doxa

Cheer up man. The funny part is that at the same time Bill's son had a relationship with Bill's girlfiend's mother. Sometimes it takes four to "Tango". Freudian behaviour at its best. grinning smiley

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 5, 2019 03:05

THE QUIET ONE
review
[nyunews.com]

“The Quiet One” doesn’t try to be overly exciting or enthralling. It aims to tell a real, honest story about a man who lived an extraordinary life in the background and, lucky for us, documented every second of it. As fun as it is to see the rise of the Stones and hear the behind-the-scenes stories, it is the smaller moments and his life beyond the band that make up the heart of the documentary.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: May 5, 2019 03:19

matxil
paulspendel

thumbs up

thumbs up

Date: May 5, 2019 04:52

35love
THE QUIET ONE
review
[nyunews.com]

“The Quiet One” doesn’t try to be overly exciting or enthralling. It aims to tell a real, honest story about a man who lived an extraordinary life in the background and, lucky for us, documented every second of it. As fun as it is to see the rise of the Stones and hear the behind-the-scenes stories, it is the smaller moments and his life beyond the band that make up the heart of the documentary.

that's sort of sweet; i'd like to see it.

Date: May 5, 2019 05:06

vertigojoe
I love Bill. Saw his last show at Wembley. As they walked off I thought that was that I’d never see them again. I was wrong and right. The greatest most under rated Bass player in rock.

smileys with beer

and roll

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 5, 2019 16:01

NICOS
TornAndFried

Me for two grinning smiley , I think the same...............

If we all knew what "all"* our beloved "idols" did in the 60's and 70's..........no book is big enough to write it down.

* except Charlie of course

She was 13 when they met and reportedly 14 when they first had sex. If this had happened today, Wyman would be charged and given a custodial sentence. He groomed her, for sure.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2973
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home