Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9
Re: OT: Desert Trip 2017
Posted by: Woz ()
Date: March 8, 2017 20:04

My friends at AEG tell me there is in fact a Desert Trip II and it's been locked down since last year.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 8, 2017 20:08

Agreed that nothing could ever beat the original Desert Trip except maybe a possible Zep reunion which won't happen unless they go by Page/Plant which is indeed a possibility - slim but possible. And even if that were to happen, it`wouldn't/couldn't top last years lineup imo. Whatever wind Desert Trip 2 might have had, these East/West shows are kind of overshadowing it no matter what one think of the band's involved. A major advantage these East/West shows will have would be location and logistics - beautiful downtown L.A. and New York city vs. hot dusty desert in the middle of nowhere. More accomodations (no price gauging), more to do for tourists, better climate, and all around better everything IMO. With that said, original Desert Trip 1 (both weekends) were up there with some of the funnest/best concert experiences I've ever had...I can't imagine anything coming close to that as far as I'm concerned.

Woz
My friends at AEG tell me there is in fact a Desert Trip II and it's been locked down since last year.

Do your friends have any idea of who may or may not be in the lineup?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-08 20:15 by Hairball.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 8, 2017 20:16

Hairball
Agreed that nothing could ever beat the original Desert Trip except maybe a possible Zep reunion which won't happen unless they go by Page/Plant which is indeed a possibility - slim but possible. And even if that were to happen, it`wouldn't/couldn't top last years lineup imo. Whatever wind Desert Trip 2 might have had, these East/West shows are kind of overshadowing it no matter what one think of the band's involved. A major advantage these East/West shows will have would be location and logistics - beautiful downtown L.A. and New York city vs. hot dusty desert in the middle of nowhere. More accomodations (no price gauging), more to do for tourists, better climate, and all around better everything IMO. With that said, original Desert Trip 1 (both weekends) were up there with some of the funnest/best concert experiences I've ever had...I can't imagine anything coming close to that as far as I'm concerned.

Thats very fair and I can't really argue with any of that.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: March 8, 2017 20:35

jumpontopofmebaby
Maybe the Eagles / Fleetwood Mac concert will give Golden Voice a shove and get them to start putting out the Desert Trip 2 line up more sooner than later.

Otherwise other promoters could do the same thing with other bands at other locations.

Except that the promoter of DT probably made a fortune selling large blocks of tickets to the secondary market, who got stuck with a huge loss. Remember how pit tickets went down to $300? Who do you think absorbed a huge loss there? Remember how they stated the show had been "sold out" an hour after tickets went on sale, but weeks later tickets started magically appearing? Classic signature a desperate ticket dump. Maybe they can get the bands, but let's see if they can get ticket scalpers (secondary marketers) to buy huge blocks.

I suppose they could just float the tickets out there for a reasonable price to begin with. They'll just say "well, it's not The Stones".

Led Zeppelin is going to appear? Righhhhhhhhht.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: March 8, 2017 21:18

> Do your friends have any idea of who may or may not be in the lineup? <

No, I wouldn't ask and they wouldn't tell, but they did confirm that the Polo fields were booked. The right line-up for one weekend would likely be very successful although I agree that if Azoff pulls off this gig at Dodger stadium that will make DT challenging.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-08 21:20 by Woz.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: March 8, 2017 21:31

The pity is Prince, Davide Bowie would've been great at this show...
Elton John/David Bowie
Prince/Bruce Springsteen
Tom Petty/Led Zeppelin...

That would've been a helluva lineup

As it is I had such a great time last year I'd go back if the lineup was decent...wouldn't spend as much as last year...that's for sure

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: March 8, 2017 22:12

I'm watching the Celebration Day DVD right now. @#$%& I want to see Led Zeppelin so bad. But the realist in me knows how good a show to close their career on and how unrealistic it is they'd be that great again.

Makes me smile just sitting on the couch and watching them rip it up though. What a band.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: March 9, 2017 03:19

Carlos Santana

Date: March 18, 2017 07:11

I read a rumour a few days ago about the possibility of of Jimmy Page playing Desert Trip II - and now there's this:

Jimmy Page’s ‘active discussions’ may be about Led Zeppelin’s 50th anniversary

Posted By: ledzepnews 18th March 2017

LedZeppelin

The “active discussions” that Jimmy Page is currently involved in may be about activity surrounding Led Zeppelin’s fiftieth anniversary, Led Zeppelin podcast Ramble On Radio said in its latest episode.
Last week we reported that Page has been in “active discussions” to perform as part of the Desert Trip festival in 2018. However, Ramble On Radio host Brian Gardiner said in his podcast that the “Oldchella” rumour is a euphemism, and instead the rumour is about possible future Led Zeppelin activity planned for 2018.
The original rumour from last week came from a respected Led Zeppelin fan who does seem to have inside knowledge of the band’s activity.
What’s not clear right now is what the rumoured discussions are about. They could be about a one-off show, a series of shows, or even the release of new material. The only thing we know for sure is that it’s still early days.

Probably just another remastering of the Zep catalogue... eye rolling smiley...but you never know.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: March 18, 2017 18:25

Woz
> Do your friends have any idea of who may or may not be in the lineup? <

No, I wouldn't ask and they wouldn't tell, but they did confirm that the Polo fields were booked. The right line-up for one weekend would likely be very successful although I agree that if Azoff pulls off this gig at Dodger stadium that will make DT challenging.

2 weeks after Desert Trip last year someone told me it was going to be The Eagles with a scab replacing Glenn Frey but it sounded too strange to me so I discounted it.

I think Irving Azoff flushed the offer and put together his own.

Date: March 18, 2017 19:53

I'll believe Zeppelin when I see it with my own f**kin eyes. No way in hell. Jimmy is all talk and always has been. Love the man, but its his most annoying quality. Put up or shut up already. We're all stilling waiting for your solo tour as well. I love Zeppelin as much as the next guy, but I can't see them ever playing again. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I truly do think anyone that thinks otherwise is delusional.

Date: March 21, 2017 22:06

Hairball
I read a rumour a few days ago about the possibility of of Jimmy Page playing Desert Trip II - and now there's this:

Jimmy Page’s ‘active discussions’ may be about Led Zeppelin’s 50th anniversary

Posted By: ledzepnews 18th March 2017

LedZeppelin

The “active discussions” that Jimmy Page is currently involved in may be about activity surrounding Led Zeppelin’s fiftieth anniversary, Led Zeppelin podcast Ramble On Radio said in its latest episode.
Last week we reported that Page has been in “active discussions” to perform as part of the Desert Trip festival in 2018. However, Ramble On Radio host Brian Gardiner said in his podcast that the “Oldchella” rumour is a euphemism, and instead the rumour is about possible future Led Zeppelin activity planned for 2018.
The original rumour from last week came from a respected Led Zeppelin fan who does seem to have inside knowledge of the band’s activity.
What’s not clear right now is what the rumoured discussions are about. They could be about a one-off show, a series of shows, or even the release of new material. The only thing we know for sure is that it’s still early days.

Probably just another remastering of the Zep catalogue... eye rolling smiley...but you never know.

So now Led Zeppelin is rumored for Desert Trip 3

Whoopieeee

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 22, 2017 07:55

RollingFreak
I'll believe Zeppelin when I see it with my own f**kin eyes. No way in hell. Jimmy is all talk and always has been. Love the man, but its his most annoying quality. Put up or shut up already. We're all stilling waiting for your solo tour as well. I love Zeppelin as much as the next guy, but I can't see them ever playing again. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I truly do think anyone that thinks otherwise is delusional.

Totally agree. Jimmy has been saying he's got "new music coming out next year" for at least the last 15 years, and Plant has no more interest than he ever had in reunions (Ahmet Ertegun's death and his widow's request being the only reason for the one exception). I don't think Page and Plant get along any better these days, either. Any upcoming Zeppelin activity I'm sure would be along the lines of more remasters, DVDs, etc. I have no more inside info than anybody else, but the chances of another show I'd put at several million to one.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: March 22, 2017 09:10

I am surprised that no official dvd from desert trip has been released. Strange

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 23, 2017 02:38

jumpontopofmebaby
RollingFreak
Hairball
RollingFreak
I truly don't think we'll ever see Robert and Jimmy on stage playing again.

It could easily happen (as it has in the past) - just not under the name 'Led Zeppelin'

It could. I don't think it will. Jimmy hardly plays, Plant is very anti-Zep reunion. I just don't see it happening. At least not for any sort of extended tour type setting, even if its not under the Zep name. I'm well aware its been done before. I just think after all the time thats passed its different now if they get together and I just don't see it happening. I'd love to be wrong, I adore Zeppelin. I just don't think I am. If Page/Plant play Desert Trip, thats basically Zeppelin and I'd be truly shocked (as well as fly out to see it).

I believe Plant thinks Led Zeppelin was over when Bonham died. And even with Jason on drums it is just not Led Zeppelin. And maybe in his heart he just doesn't want to call the line up with Jason playing drums Led Zeppelin out of respect to John Bonham and Led Zeppelin. That is why I thought a Page /Plant concert might just happen. Also money talks and for two weekends out of his life he might just say oh well. I know Plant is active but I think he plays mostly small venues. He could experience the rush of 75,000 screaming Zeppelin fans one more time.

I was just watching a old Bill Wyman interview the other day, one promoting his book "Stone Alone" and in the interview he said that basically everyone in the Stones is replaceable except for Mick and Keith. He says if Charlie left, they would just find another drummer, adding it wouldn't sound exactly the same but it would be fine. No big deal.

I wonder if there is something else that Plant fears about a reunion tour. If he can perform after losing his child then how could losing Bonham have more value? It really makes no sense after all these years.

Date: March 23, 2017 03:21

The Sicilian
jumpontopofmebaby
RollingFreak
Hairball
RollingFreak
I truly don't think we'll ever see Robert and Jimmy on stage playing again.

It could easily happen (as it has in the past) - just not under the name 'Led Zeppelin'

It could. I don't think it will. Jimmy hardly plays, Plant is very anti-Zep reunion. I just don't see it happening. At least not for any sort of extended tour type setting, even if its not under the Zep name. I'm well aware its been done before. I just think after all the time thats passed its different now if they get together and I just don't see it happening. I'd love to be wrong, I adore Zeppelin. I just don't think I am. If Page/Plant play Desert Trip, thats basically Zeppelin and I'd be truly shocked (as well as fly out to see it).

I believe Plant thinks Led Zeppelin was over when Bonham died. And even with Jason on drums it is just not Led Zeppelin. And maybe in his heart he just doesn't want to call the line up with Jason playing drums Led Zeppelin out of respect to John Bonham and Led Zeppelin. That is why I thought a Page /Plant concert might just happen. Also money talks and for two weekends out of his life he might just say oh well. I know Plant is active but I think he plays mostly small venues. He could experience the rush of 75,000 screaming Zeppelin fans one more time.

I was just watching a old Bill Wyman interview the other day, one promoting his book "Stone Alone" and in the interview he said that basically everyone in the Stones is replaceable except for Mick and Keith. He says if Charlie left, they would just find another drummer, adding it wouldn't sound exactly the same but it would be fine. No big deal.

I wonder if there is something else that Plant fears about a reunion tour. If he can perform after losing his child then how could losing Bonham have more value? It really makes no sense after all these years.

Well they did perform under the Zeppelin banner a couple of times since Bonham's death, and Page/Plant did an album as well a couple tours filled with Zep tunes.

Found this article from 2014:

Robert Plant Slams Idea of Zeppelin Tour: 'I'm Not Part of a Jukebox'

Date: March 23, 2017 04:03

Hairball
The Sicilian

Well they did perform under the Zeppelin banner a couple of times since Bonham's death, and Page/Plant did an album as well a couple tours filled with Zep tunes.

Found this article from 2014:

Robert Plant Slams Idea of Zeppelin Tour: 'I'm Not Part of a Jukebox'

So many conflicting versions coming out of that camp. So here he says that he wants the band to record an album and tour behind that. Then Page will say that he was always for that but Robert balks and then it goes back to him. For a guy who toured with Zeppelin for less than ten years he sure has a short attention span. Really though, it took a year to rehearse for one two hour show?

Date: March 23, 2017 04:14

Yeah Sicilian that part about nearly a year of rehearsal for a two hour show doesn't make much sense - seems maybe he mislead the others into thinking there was more beyond that?
Or the others mistakenly believed there was something beyond that? Or maybe Plant got cold feet, and as you wondered - maybe there is something else that he fears?

Date: March 23, 2017 04:35

Hairball
Yeah Sicilian that part about nearly a year of rehearsal for a two hour show doesn't make much sense - seems maybe he mislead the others into thinking there was more beyond that?
Or the others mistakenly believed there was something beyond that? Or maybe Plant got cold feet, and as you wondered - maybe there is something else that he fears?

I suppose we could speculate forever. There has been more cryptic messaging with these two men over the years than in a Nostradamus quatrain.

Which goes back the the Live Aid performance in 1985. To this day they both talk of how awful the performance was. But they still don't get it. The performance was fine, fans weren't critiquing the music notes, they just wanted to see and hear them perform. Nobody was expecting perfection, they could have come out strumming brooms and banging tin cans. If a tour never happens, history will lay all the blame on Plant. That is a bittersweet and sad legacy to carry.

Date: March 23, 2017 04:47

The Sicilian
Hairball

I suppose we could speculate forever. There has been more cryptic messaging with these two men over the years than in a Nostradamus quatrain.

Which goes back the the Live Aid performance in 1985. To this day they both talk of how awful the performance was. But they still don't get it. The performance was fine, fans weren't critiquing the music notes, they just wanted to see and hear them perform. Nobody was expecting perfection, they could have come out strumming brooms and banging tin cans. If a tour never happens, history will lay all the blame on Plant. That is a bittersweet and sad legacy to carry.

I remember watching Live Aid live and had high expectations for the Zeppelin reunion.
Have to say it was pretty bad and sloppy - surprisingly so. Some of the blame has been placed on Phil Collins' drumming, but I read somewhere he claims he couldn't hear what the others were playing.
Page wasn't in very good shape playing wise either. But they made up for it at the O2 concert, and after a year of rehearsing they were a well oiled machine - it's too bad it ended there. Blame stubborn Plant!

Date: March 23, 2017 04:51

I spent years attacking Plant. Now I've spent a long time defending him. He was right. Yes, I want the reunion, but he's done it for the right occasions and in all honesty thats enough. A band is a moment in time. Yes I'm happy the Stones are still around and done all they've done. Its good they are still that big. But people would have lived if they never got back together. The Beatles never had time to get back together, we all lived. Pink Floyd, the REAL Pink Floyd, only got back together once after 1981. Sucks, but its not like I've lived.

Every time Robert has gone back to Zep its been for a reason. Live Aid, fair. That was a big deal and it was for a good cause. Atlantic Records show. Makes sense, its for their label and Ahmet. Hall Of Fame. Of course. 02, for Ahmet's funeral. Plus the Page and Plant tour. He didn't run the name into the ground. I can't blame him. And people had their chances to see them if they really wanted to. And 100% as the singer he had the most work and the most to lose. He KILLED it at the 02. To sustain that could have been questionable and I doubt he would have beaten it. He gave it his all and as a fan I'm proud of that. For awhile I didn't understand why he couldn't do more, but now I'm happy he even did it at all. I really don't get why many don't feel the same way. You can have your opinion, I did for awhile too. But the guy isn't evil for not doing it. He's past that point in his life to front the mythical Led Zeppelin. I gotta hand it to him, that takes maturity and balls a lot of bands don't have.

Date: March 23, 2017 06:15

I have a hunch that some day they Plant and Page (and maybe even John Paul Jones) will play together once again - not a full blown tour, and maybe not under the Led Zeppelin moniker, but another 'event' of some sort.

As for Pink Floyd, aside from their reunion at Live Aid II, Gilmour and Waters have played together twice since then - I see no reason why Plant/Page won't do the same again some day.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 23, 2017 06:16

And also, "money talks" doesn't apply to Plant in this instance. He's had endless chances to make obscene amounts of money and passed on them. The O2 show was for charity.

Date: March 23, 2017 06:20

There's even the possibility that Plant could lend his vocals to a tune or two on Page's 'upcoming' solo album! thumbs up

Date: March 29, 2017 21:12

I see the Classic East and West Dates and Line ups are now official.

Come on Desert Trip 2017. Tell us who you have!

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: March 29, 2017 21:50

RollingFreak
I spent years attacking Plant. Now I've spent a long time defending him. He was right. Yes, I want the reunion, but he's done it for the right occasions and in all honesty thats enough. A band is a moment in time. Yes I'm happy the Stones are still around and done all they've done. Its good they are still that big. But people would have lived if they never got back together. The Beatles never had time to get back together, we all lived. Pink Floyd, the REAL Pink Floyd, only got back together once after 1981. Sucks, but its not like I've lived.

Every time Robert has gone back to Zep its been for a reason. Live Aid, fair. That was a big deal and it was for a good cause. Atlantic Records show. Makes sense, its for their label and Ahmet. Hall Of Fame. Of course. 02, for Ahmet's funeral. Plus the Page and Plant tour. He didn't run the name into the ground. I can't blame him. And people had their chances to see them if they really wanted to. And 100% as the singer he had the most work and the most to lose. He KILLED it at the 02. To sustain that could have been questionable and I doubt he would have beaten it. He gave it his all and as a fan I'm proud of that. For awhile I didn't understand why he couldn't do more, but now I'm happy he even did it at all. I really don't get why many don't feel the same way. You can have your opinion, I did for awhile too. But the guy isn't evil for not doing it. He's past that point in his life to front the mythical Led Zeppelin. I gotta hand it to him, that takes maturity and balls a lot of bands don't have.

Robert Plant turned into a real bastard! I met him with Zep and after Zep. He thinks he is a forward thinking artist. Meanwhile all his last solo tours included Zep songs. His last tour of 12 songs included 6 Zep tunes!! If he was such a good guy he would take the 1 billion for a tour and donate the money!!

Date: March 29, 2017 22:50

Hairball
There's even the possibility that Plant could lend his vocals to a tune or two on Page's 'upcoming' solo album! thumbs up

He probably said yes cause he knows there's no chance that album ever comes out >grinning smiley< .

DREAMTIME
Robert Plant turned into a real bastard! I met him with Zep and after Zep. He thinks he is a forward thinking artist. Meanwhile all his last solo tours included Zep songs. His last tour of 12 songs included 6 Zep tunes!! If he was such a good guy he would take the 1 billion for a tour and donate the money!!

Not at all. He just doesn't want to do Zeppelin. Thats very different than touring solo and playing those songs as "Robert Plant" than fronting "Led Zeppelin" and playing them. Expectations come with Zeppelin and I understand his reasoning in not wanting to do it.

Date: March 30, 2017 00:31

If it weren't for Page bringing him on board Zep to begin with, Robert Plant might have never had a successful singing career.
He might have dabbled a bit with his original band (Band of Joy? confused smiley ) playing pubs in small villages, etc, but more than likely that would have led to nowhere.
His entire life of fame is because of Page, and he should be forever indebted!!!

Date: March 30, 2017 00:42

Who said he shouldn't? I'm saying Page doesn't mean a single f**king word he says. So Robert can afford to say "Ok" when he knows he'll never be called. And just because Page wants to drag Zeppelin's legacy through the mud doesn't mean Plant has to blindly follow.

Date: March 30, 2017 00:54

Wait, what?

I wasn't replying to anything you wrote Rollingfreak, I was just thinking out loud regarding Plant and the good fortune he's had thanks to Jimmy recruiting him to Zeppelin.
He's as lucky as Ringo Star!

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2250
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home