Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9
Re: OT: Desert Trip 2017
Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 4, 2017 00:30

RollingFreak
swimtothemoon
RollingFreak
swimtothemoon
Interesting that just in the last 24 hours many sites are now reporting the
Zep/Desert Trip rumor. However, they all seem to credit the "feelnumb" site as their source or word the article in similar fashion. I guess it just shows everyone is hungry for some news on the festival and/or a Zepplin reunion.
However, if Jason is booked those dates, it sure seems unlikely to happen. Page
and Plant together maybe - but probably without the Led Zepplin name. If Jimmy
is 74 - it better happen soon!

Its cause everyone in the world is @#$%& stupid. Thats why we have Trump, thats why we have so many other problems. Cause idiots think "you'll 100% see Zeppelin play again. FACT." You have no idea. Don't be an idiot and pretend you do. If they do play again, great, but don't sound like a moron and pretend you know it'll happen. The fact of the matter is that with their advancing age and past offers it is more unlikely than it is likely.

You must have misunderstood my message as I never stated I knew any different
than the reported news and certainly didn't claim to know it would happen. Also I never mentioned Trump.

No, I didn't mean you. I meant the likes of jumpontopofmebaby. I was simply expanding on what you said that this was posted everywhere yet credited back to that one source. That no one knows, and most likely its a lot of noise for nothing. In no way did I mean it to include you as well.

Okay thanks for clarifying.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 4, 2017 00:30

I'm still waiting day by day to see how different Roger Waters' setlist will be winking smiley .

Having said that, I don't think its insane to say how stupid a response like:

jumpontopofmebaby
You will someday see Led Zeppelin with Jason Bonham. FACT

Thats just an outright lie. What you say Hairball is opinion, what I say is opinion. That above is just a dumb statement that no one could back up. I'll end the Trump comparisons after this, but that is similar to when he says things with no backing whatsoever. Yes, it is a stupid statement and there are many stupid people in this world. Thats why all these places are reporting this thing that has NO backing whatsoever. There is nothing to report! We were having a discussion, as extremely opposing as it was. I personally thought that was different.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-04 04:47 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 4, 2017 00:55

No worries Rollingfreak - yes opposing views and a friendly discussion (for the most part). Just look at his statement of 'fact' as being his opinion, and don't let it bother you.

If anyone can put all this Zep stuff properly together in a nutshell, it might be the unofficial Led Zeppelin News website:

A closer look at the rumour that Led Zeppelin are reuniting to perform at Desert Trip 2017

To sum it all up:

- Raul from FeelNumb website is a numbskull.
- It's possible for a Led Zeppelin reunion in 2018 for the 50th anniversary.
- Desert Trip probably isn't happening. (we now know almost with 100% certainty that it isn't)
- And again, Raul from FeelNumb website is a numbskull.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-04 00:57 by Hairball.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 4, 2017 04:27

Some of the angst might be from the seemingly cavalier manner
(and joke/ to tell us the website says it's true? WTF?)
Led Zeppelin, the 3 and son, those 4, a true reunite,
don't play loose and fast with it.
It's considered sacred recorded music, without having live experiences.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 4, 2017 04:47

ROLLMOPS
wrote an article for the LA times about Page and Plant
meeting in a courtroom- couldn't find the link,
but really captured how epic.

Date: May 4, 2017 05:03

RollingFreak
I'm still waiting day by day to see how different Roger Waters' setlist will be winking smiley

Here's all the latest info. I've gathered with some amendments from our earlier conversation.

From his press release for new Us + Them tour

"We are going to take a new show on the road, the content is very secret," -Roger

From a later Rolling Stone magazine interview:

"I'm not going to talk too much about what we're doing, but anybody who was at Desert Trip or anybody
who saw what we did in [Mexico City's] Zocalo Square will have an idea of what we're doing. There will be no lack of spectacle".
- Roger

So there it is...straight from the horses mouth! There will be more similarities than differences between Desert Trip/Mexico and the upcoming tour. I suppose the 'secret' was meant for those who weren't at the Mexico or Desert Trip shows, so that statement is a bit misleading. On one hand I was hoping for something completely different (stage, setlist, etc.) as there was a possibility it could even be better than Mexico/Desert Trip. On the other hand, those shows were phenomenal and would be hard to beat - happy he's giving more people the opportunity to experience it all as it is truly special and needs to be shared.

Main differences:
Indoor arena vs. massive outdoor setting (giant screen will have to be reduced in size).
New songs from upcoming album - at least four from what I've read.
Drastic change in band members - he even gave his son Harry on keyboards the boot and showed him the exit door! No more Snowy White on guitar (sadly as he's been a part ot their history since the original Animals tour '77). No more GE Smith, and no more Gilmour sound-alike singer (I forget his name, he was also a big part of Rogers Wall tour, but he was sort of unnecessary), and a few other changes...a new drummer I think.

Similarities:
A majority of the classic Floyd tunes played at Mexico/Desert Trip will remain in setlist (give or take a few to make room for solo stuff new and old).
Probably most projections/special effects will remain with the possibility of some updated and/or brand new stuff thrown in the mix.

Goes without saying I hope you can go as it will be very memorable which is quite the understatement. thumbs up

And now that this thread is destined to die off soon (according to the latest news of "No Desert Trip 2017"), I suppose this all should be posted in a Roger Waters thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-04 05:05 by Hairball.

Date: May 4, 2017 05:11

Today I'm of the opinion there will not be a 2017 Desert Trip. I noticed that
hotel rooms are still at a premium for those two weekends at least they
were when I checked a couple days ago. Seems odd to expect a confirmation from
Desert Trip stating that indeed the concert will not take place this year...but
still I wonder if they will eventually make such a announcement to the media -especially if the media is continually asking the question. If the promoters continue to strive for the very top bands then every other year might be the best decision.

Date: May 4, 2017 05:51

Hairball
RollingFreak
I'm still waiting day by day to see how different Roger Waters' setlist will be winking smiley

Here's all the latest info. I've gathered with some amendments from our earlier conversation.

From his press release for new Us + Them tour

"We are going to take a new show on the road, the content is very secret," -Roger

From a later Rolling Stone magazine interview:

"I'm not going to talk too much about what we're doing, but anybody who was at Desert Trip or anybody
who saw what we did in [Mexico City's] Zocalo Square will have an idea of what we're doing. There will be no lack of spectacle".
- Roger

So there it is...straight from the horses mouth! There will be more similarities than differences between Desert Trip/Mexico and the upcoming tour. I suppose the 'secret' was meant for those who weren't at the Mexico or Desert Trip shows, so that statement is a bit misleading. On one hand I was hoping for something completely different (stage, setlist, etc.) as there was a possibility it could even be better than Mexico/Desert Trip. On the other hand, those shows were phenomenal and would be hard to beat - happy he's giving more people the opportunity to experience it all as it is truly special and needs to be shared.

Main differences:
Indoor arena vs. massive outdoor setting (giant screen will have to be reduced in size).
New songs from upcoming album - at least four from what I've read.
Drastic change in band members - he even gave his son Harry on keyboards the boot and showed him the exit door! No more Snowy White on guitar (sadly as he's been a part ot their history since the original Animals tour '77). No more GE Smith, and no more Gilmour sound-alike singer (I forget his name, he was also a big part of Rogers Wall tour, but he was sort of unnecessary), and a few other changes...a new drummer I think.

Similarities:
A majority of the classic Floyd tunes played at Mexico/Desert Trip will remain in setlist (give or take a few to make room for solo stuff new and old).
Probably most projections/special effects will remain with the possibility of some updated and/or brand new stuff thrown in the mix.

Goes without saying I hope you can go as it will be very memorable which is quite the understatement. thumbs up

And now that this thread is destined to die off soon (according to the latest news of "No Desert Trip 2017"), I suppose this all should be posted in a Roger Waters thread.

Was just joking about the Waters thing, although (no sarcasm meant) I am genuinely curious to see how much is different. That really does suck so many people in the band were cut. Any reason why? I mean GE and Snowy are essential. The drummer is quite good too. Everyone else is sort of expendable, because really it doesn't matter who plays Floyd stuff as long as Roger's up there, but Snowy and GE are just so great. My main curiosity is whether he sticks to new songs in the set and if he keeps the general Floyd stuff he did at Desert Trip (meaning almost all of Dark Side, Wish, Animals and One Of These Days and Fearless). Everything else (screen size, band change, different arenas) I don't really care that much about. I'll go if he plays that Floyd stuff he did there, which I personally think he will but I am very curious to see how much the set differs from Desert, the cynic in me.

Date: May 4, 2017 06:58

RollingFreak
I'll go if he plays that Floyd stuff he did there, which I personally think he will but I am very curious to see how much the set differs from Desert, the cynic in me.

Chances are very likely he will play most if not all of the same Floyd stuff he played at Mexico/Desert Trip - I'd say 99.999% more than likely, and any changes will be minimal consisting of some solo material (some new and maybe some older). A newly released promo for the tour shows One of These Days from either the Mexico or Desert Trip shows, so you can can't on that. Set the Controls may or may not still be in - it might get axed for the new/solo stuff. The gigantic Battersea Power station stage set is also to be used again prominently throughout the show (but will also have to be reduced down to arena size somehow), so you can count on alot of stuff from Animals. And further, the main tour page of his website clearly states in bold:

ROGER WATERS - US + THEM.

PERFORMING SONGS FROM THE ALBUMS OF PINK FLOYD
DARK SIDE OF THE MOON//THE WALL//ANIMALS///WISH YOU WERE HERE

"We are going to take a new show on the road, the content is very secret," said Roger Waters. "It'll be a mixture of stuff from my long career, stuff from my years with Pink Floyd, some new things. Probably 75% of it will be old material and 25% will be new, but it will be all connected by a general theme. It will be a cool show, I promise you. It'll be spectacular like all my shows have been.”

Roger Waters’ legendary live performances are renowned as immersive sensory experiences featuring high class, state-of- the-art audio visual production and breathtaking quad sound. This new tour promises to be no exception, following months of meticulous planning and visionary craft, it will inspire crowds with its powerful delivery to take the audience on a musical journey.

In other words it's more than just the songs played, it's the entire performance and audio visual experience as a whole.
And there you have it - all in a nice little package!

Posted by: jcstone47 ()
Date: May 5, 2017 19:53

I don't think anyone has mentioned David Gilmour yet. Oh...and how cool would a Faces reunion be?!? I'm sure Ronnie and Rod would be up for it. I thought the Desert Trip thing was going to be a one-off event. It was magical and I said I would love to see a concert there again at the time (although in my head it will always be the Stones).

Date: May 5, 2017 22:24

jcstone47
I'm sure Ronnie and Rod would be up for it.
Rod has @#$%& a possible Faces reunion up every day of the week and twice on Sunday. If you're sure Rod would be up for it then you haven't followed Faces news in the last decade or so. He weasels out every chance he gets, and only did it after Ian died which was real low.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: May 5, 2017 22:35

No Snowy White?1?!?! THAT is a HUGE change.....

Date: May 5, 2017 22:54

Woz
According to Wikipedia (who knows the accuracy) the only other person listed besides Roger is GE Smith. Hopefully thats true, and hopefully thats a sign that other longtime people like Snowy White and Jon Carin are still there. I'd wonder what the need for a change was.

Date: May 5, 2017 22:59

RollingFreak
jcstone47
Rod has @#$%& a possible Faces reunion up every day of the week and twice on Sunday. If you're sure Rod would be up for it then you haven't followed Faces news in the last decade or so. He weasels out every chance he gets, and only did it after Ian died which was real low.

I am positive the Faces will be the warm up for Led Zeppelin. NO DOUBT

MARK IT DOWN

YOU HEARD IT FROM ME FIRST!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-05 23:01 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Date: May 5, 2017 23:02

jumpontopofmebaby
RollingFreak
jcstone47

I am positive the Faces will be the warm up for Led Zeppelin. NO DOUBT

MARK IT DOWN

YOU HEARD IT FROM ME FIRST!

Ok just did a conference with Robert, Jimmy, Rod and Ronnie. GAME ON!

Date: May 5, 2017 23:06

Woz
Indeed, and the only one that will truly be missed imo. Evidently he's now 'semi-retired', and perhaps it was his choice to decline the tour.
The other lead guitarist Dave Kilminster is still in - he does a fine job playing Gilmours solos. New guitar player Jonathan Wilson is in.
Multi-instrumentalist Jon Carin remains. A couple other changes as well...new drummer, keyboard player...
GE Smith - while adequate - will not be missed.

RollingFreak
Woz
According to Wikipedia (who knows the accuracy) the only other person listed besides Roger is GE Smith. Hopefully thats true, and hopefully thats a sign that other longtime people like Snowy White and Jon Carin are still there. I'd wonder what the need for a change was.

According to Roger himself at a recent talk he gave in NYC, the new band lineup:
(*copied and pasted from a Pink Floyd site posted by someone in the audience):

Joey Waronker
Gus Seyffert
Jonathan Wilson
Ian Ritchie
Jon Carin
Dave Kilminster
Drew (keyboards, Roger couldn't remember his surname)
Jess and Holly from Lucius

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-05 23:14 by Hairball.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: May 5, 2017 23:16

Very Interesting (said in my best Rowan and Martin imitation)

Date: May 5, 2017 23:20

Interesting. Cool that Kilminster is still in, although as someone who kind of became a fan with Roger's In The Flesh live album of all things, I wish Doyle would tour with him again. He's too big to I guess, or doesn't wanna just do someone else's solos every night, but that lineup was so awesome. Carin, Doyle, White, Low, Broad. That live album is so underrated.

Date: May 6, 2017 00:29

Sorry to hear of the band changes - especially GE Smith and Snowy White. Water's
show at Desert Trip was a highlight for me - truely amazing. I will see him indoors in Chicago at the end July.

Date: May 6, 2017 01:05

Woz
Very Interesting (said in my best Rowan and Martin imitation)

Lol - Arte Johnson...

Very interesting...

Date: May 6, 2017 04:50

RollingFreak
Interesting. Cool that Kilminster is still in, although as someone who kind of became a fan with Roger's In The Flesh live album of all things, I wish Doyle would tour with him again. He's too big to I guess, or doesn't wanna just do someone else's solos every night, but that lineup was so awesome. Carin, Doyle, White, Low, Broad. That live album is so underrated.

That was a great tour indeed. I saw two shows in Los Angeles at the Universal Ampitheater - they were the first I'd seen anything Pink Floyd related since the original Wall shows in L.A., 1980. I opted out of seeing 'Pink Floyd' after Roger quit the band in the '80's and '90's, as it seemed a bit sacrilege for them to tour without the man who wrote a majority of their greatest work. Yes they recorded a couple albums without him, but they're terribly inferior when compared to the Roger era heyday of the band imo.

As for the band for Roger's In the Flesh tour you mention - very good indeed. Ironically one of the main criticisms that tour and album gets is focused on Doyle Bramhall II, and his inability to fit in properly with the Pink Floyd vibe. He's a great guitarist no doubt, but he's more from the Texas guitar slinger school of playing - better suited to his solo material and/or touring with Clapton, etc. In other words, he was out of his element with Roger, and kind of stuck out like a sore thumb.

On the following Dark Side of the Moon tour 2006/2007, Doyle was ditched and Dave Kilminster was brought into the fold in his place where he's been ever since. That tour and band was also great as it upped the ante on all the spectacle that was lacking on the In the flesh tour, and the musicianship was all around better. Bigger venues, bigger shows, better musicians, bigger impact. The more recent Wall tour was phenomenal, yet there wasn't much room for individual expression from musicians. Like the original Floyd Wall shows, it was all played to nearly note for note perfection - perfectly timed with all of the special effects, visuals, stage production, etc. Then came the supreme Desert Trip shows which utilized that same band in a much better way. While not much room for improv, there was definitely some there - see Dave Kilmister's solo on Pigs (Three Different Ones) wailing away like no tomorrow. And the variety in the setlist was alot less static with way more variety than playing The Wall from start to finish with nothing more - show over. Also the backup singers from the Wall tour (from the band Venice) were ditched in place of two new female backup singers for Desert Trip. Their amazing vocals were a necessity for some of the back catalogue where female singers are a big presence (see Great Gig in the Sky), not to mention they were much easier on the eyes - happy to say they will be on the new tour!

So now we wait and wonder what the new band will bring to a live setting, but knowing the perfectionist Roger Waters has always been, there's really no reason to think it will be anything less than stellar. Just announced today, it's been confirmed Roger Waters will be the musical guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert on Monday, May 8. Whether he will perform with a full band (hopefully) or an acoustic set (unlikely), it will give a glimpse of what might to expect for the upcoming tour.

But back to those Desert Trip 2017 rumours... winking smiley...wondering if it's not going to happen, will they give an official announcement?
So much of the press, not to mention millions of people, would like to know one way or another. Seems the right thing for them would be to confirm if it's going to be a yea or a nay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-06 04:51 by Hairball.

Date: May 6, 2017 08:15

Hairball
RollingFreak

That was a great tour indeed. I saw two shows in Los Angeles at the Universal Ampitheater - they were the first I'd seen anything Pink Floyd related since the original Wall shows in L.A., 1980. I opted out of seeing 'Pink Floyd' after Roger quit the band in the '80's and '90's, as it seemed a bit sacrilege for them to tour without the man who wrote a majority of their greatest work. Yes they recorded a couple albums without him, but they're terribly inferior when compared to the Roger era heyday of the band imo.

As for the band for Roger's In the Flesh tour you mention - very good indeed. Ironically one of the main criticisms that tour and album gets is focused on Doyle Bramhall II, and his inability to fit in properly with the Pink Floyd vibe. He's a great guitarist no doubt, but he's more from the Texas guitar slinger school of playing - better suited to his solo material and/or touring with Clapton, etc. In other words, he was out of his element with Roger, and kind of stuck out like a sore thumb.

On the following Dark Side of the Moon tour 2006/2007, Doyle was ditched and Dave Kilminster was brought into the fold in his place where he's been ever since. That tour and band was also great as it upped the ante on all the spectacle that was lacking on the In the flesh tour, and the musicianship was all around better. Bigger venues, bigger shows, better musicians, bigger impact. The more recent Wall tour was phenomenal, yet there wasn't much room for individual expression from musicians. Like the original Floyd Wall shows, it was all played to nearly note for note perfection - perfectly timed with all of the special effects, visuals, stage production, etc. Then came the supreme Desert Trip shows which utilized that same band in a much better way. While not much room for improv, there was definitely some there - see Dave Kilmister's solo on Pigs (Three Different Ones) wailing away like no tomorrow. And the variety in the setlist was alot less static with way more variety than playing The Wall from start to finish with nothing more - show over. Also the backup singers from the Wall tour (from the band Venice) were ditched in place of two new female backup singers for Desert Trip. Their amazing vocals were a necessity for some of the back catalogue where female singers are a big presence (see Great Gig in the Sky), not to mention they were much easier on the eyes - happy to say they will be on the new tour!

So now we wait and wonder what the new band will bring to a live setting, but knowing the perfectionist Roger Waters has always been, there's really no reason to think it will be anything less than stellar. Just announced today, it's been confirmed Roger Waters will be the musical guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert on Monday, May 8. Whether he will perform with a full band (hopefully) or an acoustic set (unlikely), it will give a glimpse of what might to expect for the upcoming tour.

But back to those Desert Trip 2017 rumours... winking smiley...wondering if it's not going to happen, will they give an official announcement?
So much of the press, not to mention millions of people, would like to know one way or another. Seems the right thing for them would be to confirm if it's going to be a yea or a nay.

I agree a yea or a nay.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 6, 2017 09:37

jumpontopofmebaby
Ok just did a conference with Robert, Jimmy, Rod and Ronnie. GAME ON!
This would have been Googleable inside of ten minutes. But it isn't so...

Date: May 12, 2017 06:01

From Billboard.com, official confirmation - no Desert Trip this year.

Desert Trip Not Returning in 2017: Exclusive

Desert Trip

"We loved 2016 Desert Trip," Goldenvoice's Paul Tollett tells Billboard.
"Maybe someday in the future we'll do something similar."

Desert Trip, last year's epic classic rock festival headlined by The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney and Roger Waters, will not be making a return in 2017, Goldenvoice's Paul Tollett has confirmed to Billboard.

"We're not doing Desert Trip this year," the L.A.-based concert promoter and Coachella founder tells Billboard. "We loved 2016 Desert Trip -- that was a special moment in time. Maybe someday in the future we'll do something similar."

The decision not to stage the event in 2017 puts to rest months of speculation about the future of Desert Trip, which grossed a staggering $160 million over two weekends in October 2016 and included performances by Bob Dylan, Neil Young and The Who. The classic rock festival was held at the Empire Polo Club in Indio, California -- the same site as the annual Coachella and Stagecoach festivals -- and attracted 75,000 people per weekend with tickets ranging in price from $399 to $1,599.

Many music fans had been hoping for a Led Zeppelin reunion in 2017, potentially as headliners for Desert Trip. Buzz about a possible reunion hit a crescendo last week, thanks in part to a cryptic message on singer Robert Plant’s website that simply read, "Any time now..." But sources said that clue more likely alluded to a musical release.

The Indio festival would be an obvious place to stage what would have been the biggest reunion in rock history, and while a concert with John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page and Plant would have been the ultimate get for any concert promoter, the three won't be reunited for Desert Trip -- at least not in 2017.

As for Tollett, he still has plenty on his plate to keep busy for the rest of the year. After wrapping the largest-attended Coachella weekend ever with 125,000 fans in attendance each weekend, followed by Stagecoach, Tollett's next big event is the Arroyo Seco Weekend in Pasadena, California, June 24-25, headlined by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and Mumford & Sons. He's also co-producing the Monterey International Pop Festival's 50th-anniversary show with co-founder Lou Adler and Another Planet Entertainment, June 16-18.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: May 12, 2017 15:57

Date: May 14, 2017 00:49

Lol so basically they couldn't get Zep and Classic East/West stole all the other bands that would've fit the bill.

Date: May 14, 2017 01:15

"...the three won't be reunited for Desert Trip -- at least not in 2017"

Which hints at and leaves the door open for a Led Zeppelin reunion at Desert Trip 2018.

Never say never!!! winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2084
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home