Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9
Re: OT: Desert Trip 2017
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 30, 2017 00:58

So are John Paul Jones and John Bonham. Thats a poor comparison. Yes, Ringo is a lucky f*cker. But so is Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman, Mick Taylor, and all other members of bands that didn't write, create or chiefly found the bands they are in. Jimmy Page wouldn't be the Jimmy Page we all knew without Robert Plant either, he would have been Jimmy Page the highly accomplished session musician. It goes both ways.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 30, 2017 01:11

Jimmy Page was already well beyond being simply a session musician as a member of the Yardbirds - duel lead guita with Jeff Beck, and then the sole lead guitar player.
He then became the mastermind of forming The New Yardbirds which would then evolve into Led Zeppelin. More than likely he would have been just as big (or even bigger) with a singer other than Plant.
I understand you have some sort of hatred for Jimmy Page, but you can't dismiss his role as leader of Led Zeppelin that easily.

Date: March 30, 2017 01:24

I don't. I adore Jimmy Page. I'm not a guitar player, but he is one of my favorite guitarists of all time. I watch the O2 show and his playing and smiling and mugging as he does so well is what makes me happiest the most. He's the innovative producer of the records I loved, he was the one that assembled that beautiful group.

Having said that, I can only be truthful in that the man has done jack squat since 1980. He has lived off the Zeppelin legacy for close to 40 years never bothering to do a single thing of actual value or commitment. The man also talks a big game and tends to deliver very little. So yes, I can adore the man to pieces and be extremely critical of what he says and his motives. Doesn't make me love him any less. I'm not sure why more people can't be like that. IMO thats a better person to be than one who criticizes Chuck Berry as soon as he dies for rape and whatnot (which in no way am I saying you did, but there were many people that did). Those people are looking to rile others up. I'm someone that just sees the full picture of things. I can criticize people I love.

Date: March 30, 2017 01:35

RollingFreak
the man has done jack squat since 1980. He has lived off the Zeppelin legacy for close to 40 years never bothering to do a single thing of actual value or commitment.

He's actually done quite a lot since 1980, perhaps not up to the standards of Led Zeppelin, but he's been more active than not.
Off the top of my head:

Death Wish 2 soundtrack.
He formed The Firm with Paul Rogers recording two albums and touring.
A solo album (Outrider) and tour.
Collaboration album with David Coverdale.
A Plant/Page tour.
Another Plant/Page album and tour (Clarksdale).
Tour with the Black Crowes.
O2 Zep reunion.

That being said, yes he's been living off the Zep legacy with all the remasters, etc, but it's his 'baby' and who can blame him?
It would be nice to have another solo album (or something!), but probably best not to expect anything and then be surprised if and when there actually is something.
No use in getting all worked up over it.

edit: spellcheck.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-30 01:37 by Hairball.

Date: March 30, 2017 01:37

I agree. And I do know he did all those things and I own most of them. But I agree, its pointless to quibble over it. That wasn't my intent. Maybe I had none, and if I got this sidetracked I do apology. I've been dying for a solo album from him for awhile. Couldn't care less when Robert puts out one. Never seen Robert live but would be the first one in line to see Jimmy tour solo. Just on Zeppelin matters I agree with Robert.

Date: March 30, 2017 01:46

RollingFreak
I agree. And I do know he did all those things and I own most of them. But I agree, its pointless to quibble over it. That wasn't my intent. Maybe I had none, and if I got this sidetracked I do apology. I've been dying for a solo album from him for awhile. Couldn't care less when Robert puts out one. Never seen Robert live but would be the first one in line to see Jimmy tour solo. Just on Zeppelin matters I agree with Robert.

No need to apologize. thumbs up

I've seen Robert Plant solo live a couple times, and you're not missing much.
I've also seen Jimmy Page solo, with Plant, and with the Firm, and there's always something memorable about it - the best easily being the Plant/Page tour.
But I'll stand by my prediction: Some day one way or another Page and Plant will work again together - be it in the studio, and/or another Plant/Page tour.
There's even a slim chance they will work together again under the name Led Zeppelin - especially if it's for a good cause. Never say never.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: March 30, 2017 04:05

Does anyone remember when the actual Desert Trip lineup leaked out or was announced last year?

Date: March 30, 2017 04:40

swimtothemoon
Does anyone remember when the actual Desert Trip lineup leaked out or was announced last year?

Rumours started circulating right about this time last year, and the lineup/festival was confirmed about a month later.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: March 31, 2017 19:59

Thanks, I would think we should be getting some info soon if they stick with last years on sale date and lineup announcement. Hard to imagine a lineup creating
such excitement as last years - but they must have something interesting if they
are planning two weekends again. Of course the two weekends could each have a different lineup though.

Date: April 1, 2017 00:56

I also think its important to remember last year's announcement wasn't "exciting". It was kinda cool, but it was more shock and disbelief and surprise than anything else. When the rumors came out I was like "that can't be true" then it was and I was never like "I need to be there" it was more "wow, I can't believe they're really all playing in one place." I do think thats an important aspect, and a reason its actually impossible to top or equal last year's. Cause it wasn't "excitement" IMO, it was more "pleasurable surprise." You can't really assemble that calibre of musicians again to interest that base, without the obviously "excitement" of adding a reunion. And even then, its a different festival than last year's. Last year's was predicaded or nothing other than "let's get the biggest still touring musicians from the 60s and 70s together for two weekends." Thats literally it. It wasn't really anything you hadn't seen before from any of them, it was just that they were all in the same place. Thats totally different if you add a Zeppelin, and far less exciting if its just Tom Petty, U2, Bruce Springsteen, etc.

Date: April 1, 2017 01:24

I was beyond surprised AND excited at the rumours and the announcement last year, and knew I had to be there - both weekends.

"It wasn't really anything you hadn't seen before from any of them, it was just that they were all in the same place"

Just? The simple fact they were all in the same place makes it something that hasn't been seen before which is unique in itself, and something that will never happen again. And in case you weren't aware, Roger Waters' Desert Trip shows (along with the two Mexico City shows prior) were totally unique and had never been seen before. The giant screen was built specifically for those shows, and was utilized by every band at Desert Trip to the fullest. The special effects, and setlist of his particular slot were different from anything he'd done before, and it's something that will never be experienced again - four shows and that was it. For his upcoming tour, he'said it will be a completely different concept, he'll have a new album out, and he's even putting together an entirely new band.

As for this year, time will tell (shortly) what kind of experience they're putting together. It won't be Desert Trip 1, but it could potentially have a similar mystique and excitement for many who are willing to attend.

Date: April 2, 2017 20:56

I'll give you that. Roger Waters, at least setlist wise, @#$%& crushed it. And I'll enjoy seeing it this year when thats arguably the show he does solo. So that show will be out there again, and again all the others are ones you've seen before. Dylan's was a good set too, but again, the event didn't pull any surprises other than them just all being there. I'm glad people enjoyed it though, that was the point. Had I never seen any of them, I would have definitely gone. I'll believe Roger's show is very different when I see it. Last I heard he said "75% the same".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-02 20:57 by RollingFreak.

Date: April 2, 2017 21:42

Roger Waters' new tour is not going to be the same - you heard wrong, but believe what you want.

"We're going to take a new show on the road, the content is very secret"

But don't take it from me, maybe these clips will enlighten you:

An All New Spectacular

A new show with new ideas, new concepts, new projections, a completely new thing

As for Desert Trip, you seem to missing the point and concept of what a festival is all about. Sure you can see them all separately, but to have them all on the same bill at the same location over a three night period is what makes it unique and memorable. Maybe a festival setting isn't your cup of tea, and you can live happily knowing you've seen these bands already, but again that's missing the point of the festival which typically by definition is a special occasion unique to anything else.

And for the record - Neil Young's sets were completely different from weekend one to weekend two. I've never seen him in a gigantic festival setting, and to see him play solo acoustic on stage for a couple songs in front of apprx. 75,000 people, followed by a blistering electrified set with his band ranks up there with the best shows I've ever seen by him. Even the Stones mixed up their setlists, with weekend two being the superior. The Who were great and explosive both weekends, and Dylan was memorable as always depending on who you ask. The only weak link for me was Paul McCartney, but it was all part of the three day experience so I wouldn't replace him with anybody and wouldn't change a thing. Again, you can see them all separately, but seeing Dylan and the Stones on the same night, followed by Neil and Paul the second night, and finally The Who and Roger Waters on the third night - all at the same location - is really what this festival was all about and is what it will always be remembered and praised for.

Date: April 2, 2017 21:53

Lol we also disagreed on Zeppelin. Think its just better to wait and see this one out, Roger and Desert Trip. At this point, no one knows enough to get anywhere with the conversation. If Roger indeed does something completely different, I will bow to you cause I hate that I missed that setlist. Probably the best he's ever done, so congrats to those if those end up being the only ones like it. We'll see.

Date: April 2, 2017 22:06

It's not a matter of being 'congratulated', it's a matter of fact. Not sure why you don't take his own words as the truth that the new shows will be completely different - I even provided you with the evidence! He's known for his creativity, his blunt honesty, and coming up with state of the art shows every time he tours. Other than playing a bunch of classic Pink Floyd songs he wrote, I don't think he'll rest on any laurels of his previous displays of creativity. Mexico and Desert Trip are a thing of the past - time to look forward to the next chapter. Take it from him, not me.

Date: April 2, 2017 22:18

LOL Another guy, like Page, who says things a lot. His are usually a little more serious but creativity? The guy's last 20 years of touring has been anchored in Floyd material. Which kinda sucks cause his solo stuff is pretty good. But like McCartney, its what the people want. I hardly call it "creative" although yes he's always had very good visuals. I take these people by their actions, not their words. Bruce Springsteen said on this River tour he really wants to play outtakes. I NEVER believed it. And guess what, he didn't play a single one other than opening with one every night. He said it to say it, which I get, but its why I don't take him at his word. Maybe he was serious and changed his mind, maybe he never was, but his actions speak volumes.

I'll believe Waters' tour is very different when I see it happen. I'll believe Zeppelin or even Page and Plant play again when I see it. I highly highly doubt both of those. And if I'm wrong I'm wrong! Thats fine. I don't mind being wrong. If Roger is still playing basically all of Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, and Animals (with my two favorite Floyd songs One Of These Days and Fearless thrown in) like he did on Desert Trip, I will be the first in line. Selfishly I hope its the same. If its not, I guess I won't congratulate you but I'll concede I'm wrong. I have no problem with that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-02 22:20 by RollingFreak.

Date: April 2, 2017 22:46

I believe you're confusing setlists with actual stage production, concepts, and overall show experience.
None of his tours have been the same in that regard, especially his touring version of The Wall which was based solely on The Wall itself. As for the new tour, along with the "new ideas, new concepts, new projections, and a completely new thing", there will be an entirely new band (give or take a member or two), so that fact alone says it will be different from what he's done in the past. Again, you can believe what you want, but there's really no reason to think it won't be something new at this point given everything you now know - unless you just want to be completely cynical about it.

As for Springsteen or McCartney, I can't comment as I don't have time in the day for either of them.

Date: April 2, 2017 23:22

Lol SO... do we have any idea when they might announce stuff. Or any serious names that might be considered? I know Steely Dan mentioned something about it last year, although now they're doing Classic East/West.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: April 2, 2017 23:49

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are supposed to be on this year's bill.

Date: April 3, 2017 01:29

Speaking of Tom Petty...

Goldenvoice taps Tom Petty, the Shins and more for a new Rose Bowl-adjacent festival

Add another music festival to the calendar — and invite the kids to this one.

Goldenvoice, the concert promoter responsible for massive Southern California festivals including Coachella, Stagecoach, FYF Fest and Desert Trip, has unveiled the lineup for its newest event, the family friendly Arroyo Seco Weekend in Pasadena.

The inaugural two-day gathering will occur on June 24-25 north of the Rose Bowl on the grounds of the Brookside Country Club. The festival will feature three stages of music by rock, soul, jazz, funk and blues acts including Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, the Meters, Mumford & Sons, John Mayall, the Alabama Shakes, the Shins and more.

Unlike the oft-overwhelming revelry at younger, more-hipster-leaning fests, though, this one will offer a kid-friendly area presented by Kidspace Children’s Museum, art installations and a roster of food and drink vendors that will include some of the city’s most respected chefs and craft breweries.

Unlike the oft-overwhelming revelry at younger, more-hipster-leaning fests, though, this one will offer a kid-friendly area presented by Kidspace Children’s Museum, art installations and a roster of food and drink vendors that will include some of the city’s most respected chefs and craft breweries.

“Grown-ups can go to festivals, and it turns out there’s a market for it,” said Paul Tollett, CEO of Goldenvoice, during a conversation with him and his colleague Nic Adler at Goldenvoice’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters.

Participating restaurants include Chego, Dog Haus, Fat Dragon, Tikifish and Kogi. Additionally, chefs Bruce Kalman (Union), Dakota Weiss (Sweetfin Poke), Ilan Hall (Ramen Hood), Neal Fraser (Red Bird) and others will be on hand to make food for the masses.

The event is the first since Goldenvoice signed a 10-year contract in 2015 with the Rose Bowl Operating Co., which manages the city-owned stadium. If all goes according to plan, the Arroyo Seco Weekend will occur annually until at least 2026.

The Arroyo Seco joins an expanding lineup of new festivals catering to an older demographic.

Last year Goldenvoice’s sold-out Desert Trip booked baby-boomer favorites including the Rolling Stones, Neil Young and Bob Dylan to appear on the same Indio grounds as Coachella. And while Tollett declined to comment on Desert Trip’s potential return, recently it was reported that Live Nation would bring the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac to Dodger Stadium as part of the so-called Classic West concert.

“We’ve all as promoters had to step up the game because the older you get, the luxuries become necessities,” said Tollett, “but Desert Trip proved that there’s definitely support out there.”

Sitting near a table-top architectural model of the Arroyo Seco festival footprint, Tollett said that he and Adler had an epiphany about the area while tailgating at a UCLA football game. “We were like, ‘Man, this is beautiful,’” said Tollett.

“It breathes a lot, so things aren’t on top of each other,” said Adler, adding that his hope is that the various activities help create seamless, memorable moments for parents and their kids. “It’s really easy. There’s no camping, there’s no tailgating, there’s no overnight.”

Pasadena, however, is better known for its little old ladies than its music scene; it’s a close-knit community that takes its noise ordinances seriously. As a result, said Tollett, the aim was to build a lineup and amenities “around the feeling that Pasadena exudes.”

That meant meeting dozens of times across three years with residents and politicians to ensure that there are no surprises. One concession: Though Goldenvoice has the rights to a three-day festival, it’s only committing to two days this first year so as to better adapt to how attendees interact with the area.

The deal is crucial for the Rose Bowl, said Darryl Dunn, general manager and CEO of the Rose Bowl Operating Co., which oversees the Bowl and Brookside’s two 18-hole golf courses.

“Expenses keep increasing, as does competition, and we’re very well aware of that,” he said. “So we’re extremely excited to be able to host another event that we believe will be very unique to the setting of the Arroyo Seco.”

It’s also a good test to see if one of Tollett’s central arguments for the Pasadena festival’s promise holds true.

“Coachella’s been around for 18 years, so there are some who went in the early days who maybe aren’t going anymore. There’s also some people who never went. And we sell out with no lineup, so we turn away more people than get to go. There’s clearly something there.”

Tollett pushed for a straightforward approach, minus the bells, whistles and air horns that Coachella offers. “A lot of festivals we put on are big and multi-stage,” he said. “It gets to be a lot going on, you know?”

“’Let’s not mess this up,’” Tollett recalled telling his colleagues. “Add some bands and some art, but just be careful not to make it too confusing, too wild.”

Adler added that while the event is family oriented, it’s not programmed with kids’ music or Top 40 commercial acts. “While it has this kid-friendly, family theme, I think it would be different if we booked a bunch of pop acts for the kids,” Adler said.

He added: “It’s more like, ‘You’re a dad and you want to bring your kids to this.’ It’s not really for the 13-year-old kids who are begging their parents to go. It’s the opposite. It’s like, ‘Dude, you’ve gotta come to this with me. This is going to be our first festival together.’”

As of today, the full roster, subject to change, for the two-day event is as follows:

Saturday: Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, the Meters, the Alabama Shakes, Dawes, Live, Broken Social Scene, Charles Bradley & His Extraordinaires, Preservation Hall Jazz Band, Roy Ayers, William Bell, Jeff Goldblum and the Mildred Snitzer Orchestra, John Mayall and Bennie Maupin Ensemble.

Sunday: Mumford & Sons, Weezer, the Shins, Fitz & the Tantrums, Andrew Bird, Lukas Nelson and the Promise of the Real, Galactic, the Revivalists, Andy Grammar, ZZ Ward, Lettuce, Jamtown (featuring G. Love, Donavon Frankenreiter & Cisco Adler), the Mowgli’s, Alice Smith, David Lindley, Con Brio and NK Band.

Tickets go on sale March 20. Single-day admission is $125 and a weekend pass is $225. There is a VIP option — $225 for the one day and $399 for the weekend — and preferred parking is $50. Prices do not include additional ticketing fees.

OT: Desert SKIP 2017!
Date: April 3, 2017 15:43

wowsa what a weak line up.

Every single band there is on the Casino circuit. Every one of those bands have just been at a Casino near where I live or are about to be.

Bad News / Good News.

Bad news is the line up is terrible. Good news is tickets will be $12.50 each!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-03 16:00 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Re: OT: Desert SKIP 2017!
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 3, 2017 15:49

Presumably referring to this "announcement":

Might want to check the date of the article...

[www.laweekly.com]

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: April 3, 2017 15:55

Good April Fools joke!

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: April 3, 2017 15:56

edit: late April fool :-) Everything is fine now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-03 15:57 by hockenheim95.

Date: April 3, 2017 15:58

Tribute bands and Hologram experiences. This is pretty low..

Date: April 3, 2017 15:59

So you are saying this is not real?

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 3, 2017 16:02

50 kinds of craft beer!!!!! Bugger

smileys with beer

Date: April 3, 2017 16:02

Ah! LOL grinning smiley

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: April 3, 2017 16:40

Wow... For a second there I was really taken aback... Funny, now that I am no longer, well, taken aback.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: April 3, 2017 17:06

LOL!! Now that's very clever. Well done! You had me for a minute there. But when I saw Starland Vocal Band, well, that's a bit much to believe.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1853
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home