Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 3 of 9
Re: OT: Desert Trip 2017
Posted by: Woz ()
Date: February 11, 2017 00:13

Love to see the Talking Heads again, but I don't see David Byrne doing it.

Please, no U2, ACDC or GnR.....

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 11, 2017 00:26

Please NO GnR, Axl/DC, Springsteen, Aerosmith, U2, Police...lol.
The chances of a memorably great lineup are slim to none!
I'm probably better off reminiscing about last year......................

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: February 11, 2017 00:30

The 2016 Desert Trip cannot be equalled, interested to see who they'd get, but for the lofe of me I can't think of anyone past a few acts that could sell out an arena tour on a consistent basis...

And speaking of the 2016 Desert Trip, will they ever release a Blue Ray?

The did have their first weekend show on their website (instant live type deal) bit it was pulled within 24 hours or so.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: February 14, 2017 01:25

I believe last years Desert Trip went on sale May 9th. The lineup announcements
Must have arrived 10-14 days earlier.

Date: February 21, 2017 23:14

Ok....so Desert Trip 2017 is on and we now know when (1st and 2nd weekends in October)

We still just don't know who.

And how I know this. I just called the Empire Polo Club and flat out asked the guy who answered the phone.

Very nice guy. He said yes it is for sure a go and told me what weekends.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 22, 2017 00:29

jumpontopofmebaby
However the Page / Plant thing kinda makes since from what I have read John Paul Jones has been the hold out for a reunion. So heck with him let Page / Plant / Janson Bonham fire it up. They would bring in the same amount of people.

LOL what?! I love Page and Plant but they have given Jones the short end of the stick every opportunity they could. Jones has ALWAYS expressed interest in doing it again, and the others either say no or leave him out. Robert is the one who is always the hold out, ALWAYS. So I don't know where you think Page and Plant is a possibility, unless I'm reading that completely wrong.

Posted by: 2014Slayer ()
Date: February 22, 2017 03:32

jumpontopofmebaby
Ok....so Desert Trip 2017 is on and we now know when (1st and 2nd weekends in October)

And how I know this. I just called the Empire Polo Club and flat out asked the guy who answered the phone.

Very cool, was so much fun, we would do it again if there are decent artists.

Date: February 22, 2017 10:56

jumpontopofmebaby

Wow... so cool and all it took was a phone call. This is genius - the shortest
path is the best path. Now you need to ask who -haha.

Date: February 22, 2017 14:55

swimtothemoon
jumpontopofmebaby

I didn't have to ask who because they guy said before I could even ask that he didn't know who yet!

Date: February 22, 2017 15:02

RollingFreak
jumpontopofmebaby
However the Page / Plant thing kinda makes since from what I have read John Paul Jones has been the hold out for a reunion. So heck with him let Page / Plant / Janson Bonham fire it up. They would bring in the same amount of people.

LOL what?! I love Page and Plant but they have given Jones the short end of the stick every opportunity they could. Jones has ALWAYS expressed interest in doing it again, and the others either say no or leave him out. Robert is the one who is always the hold out, ALWAYS. So I don't know where you think Page and Plant is a possibility, unless I'm reading that completely wrong.

NO you read it right. I read an article quite awhile ago that Page / Plant were ready to do a some LED ZEPPELIN shows but this time it was John Paul Jones the could not be part of it. He had a prior commitment and opera or a broadway show or something he was involved in that would take a year or more to complete.

I think what ever JPJ was working might now be finished.

You do not have to believe me and I cant remember where i read this. But its out there so please find it and post the link here! and thanks in advance!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 22, 2017 15:46

My prediction is 'dust in the wind'
If they had to schlepp tickets off to Costco
for last years line up?
And if Led Zepplin were ever to unite
to play live again,
they should
A.) Get a standalone show and
B.) Practice in a bunker for a year before hitting a stage.

Date: February 22, 2017 21:20

Yes, I recall reading something regarding John Paul Jones and this commitment
to a project such as an opera. However, I don't recall if the article stated Page
and Plant were ready to reunite.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: February 22, 2017 21:28

swimtothemoon
jumpontopofmebaby

Ask who? Didn't they play last year? Were they on first??

Date: February 22, 2017 21:34

jumpontopofmebaby
RollingFreak
jumpontopofmebaby

NO you read it right. I read an article quite awhile ago that Page / Plant were ready to do a some LED ZEPPELIN shows but this time it was John Paul Jones the could not be part of it. He had a prior commitment and opera or a broadway show or something he was involved in that would take a year or more to complete.

I think what ever JPJ was working might now be finished.

You do not have to believe me and I cant remember where i read this. But its out there so please find it and post the link here! and thanks in advance!

I believe you, I'm just saying it goes against everything else I've ever read about them, particularly Robert. He's been so clear, insistent, in the last decade or more that he can't do Zeppelin anymore. Its a foreign concept to him. He did it for a night, he still plays those songs, but he can't front Led Zeppelin, and IMO by extension play with Page anymore. Cause I just think at that point it IS Zeppelin, especially if Bonham is involved. So that seems very skeptical to me. I believe you read it and I guess anything's possible. But Robert has made it so clear he won't revisit Zeppelin and never talks about wanting to play with Page or Jones that it seems like an extremely odd thing for him to say. I truly don't think we'll ever see Robert and Jimmy on stage playing again. Unless Plant has suddenly changed his entire outlook, which gets less likely each year that goes by.

Date: February 22, 2017 21:40

RollingFreak
I truly don't think we'll ever see Robert and Jimmy on stage playing again.

It could easily happen (as it has in the past) - just not under the name 'Led Zeppelin'

Date: February 22, 2017 22:02

Hairball
RollingFreak

It could easily happen (as it has in the past) - just not under the name 'Led Zeppelin'

It could. I don't think it will. Jimmy hardly plays, Plant is very anti-Zep reunion. I just don't see it happening. At least not for any sort of extended tour type setting, even if its not under the Zep name. I'm well aware its been done before. I just think after all the time thats passed its different now if they get together and I just don't see it happening. I'd love to be wrong, I adore Zeppelin. I just don't think I am. If Page/Plant play Desert Trip, thats basically Zeppelin and I'd be truly shocked (as well as fly out to see it).

Date: February 22, 2017 22:37

RollingFreak
Hairball
RollingFreak

It could. I don't think it will. Jimmy hardly plays, Plant is very anti-Zep reunion. I just don't see it happening. At least not for any sort of extended tour type setting, even if its not under the Zep name. I'm well aware its been done before. I just think after all the time thats passed its different now if they get together and I just don't see it happening. I'd love to be wrong, I adore Zeppelin. I just don't think I am. If Page/Plant play Desert Trip, thats basically Zeppelin and I'd be truly shocked (as well as fly out to see it).

I believe Plant thinks Led Zeppelin was over when Bonham died. And even with Jason on drums it is just not Led Zeppelin. And maybe in his heart he just doesn't want to call the line up with Jason playing drums Led Zeppelin out of respect to John Bonham and Led Zeppelin. That is why I thought a Page /Plant concert might just happen. Also money talks and for two weekends out of his life he might just say oh well. I know Plant is active but I think he plays mostly small venues. He could experience the rush of 75,000 screaming Zeppelin fans one more time.

Date: February 22, 2017 22:54

I think he got that at O2 and very much makes that sounds like it was it. But who knows. Your lips to gods ears.

Date: February 22, 2017 23:37

jumpontopofmebaby
RollingFreak
Hairball
RollingFreak

I believe Plant thinks Led Zeppelin was over when Bonham died. And even with Jason on drums it is just not Led Zeppelin. And maybe in his heart he just doesn't want to call the line up with Jason playing drums Led Zeppelin out of respect to John Bonham and Led Zeppelin. That is why I thought a Page /Plant concert might just happen. Also money talks and for two weekends out of his life he might just say oh well. I know Plant is active but I think he plays mostly small venues. He could experience the rush of 75,000 screaming Zeppelin fans one more time.

It could very well happen.
Even of not at Desert Trip, somewhere down the road it could easily happen.

Date: February 22, 2017 23:45

As others have stated, Desert Trip will require some stellar bands on the bill -especially if they are planning on selling out two weekends. Led Zeppelin on the bill would do it though.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: February 23, 2017 00:29

Led Zeppelin is the only thing that would do it. I think they should have left well enough alone and not gone for a Desert Trip 2.

Date: February 23, 2017 08:14

Woz
Led Zeppelin is the only thing that would do it. I think they should have left well enough alone and not gone for a Desert Trip 2.

To be fair we need to wait and see the lineup. Maybe they have plans to lower
the ticket prices from last year - depending on the lineup. As has been discussed, there is only a handful of bands who can come close to duplicating
the interest and demand of last years legendary lineup.

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: February 23, 2017 11:29

RipThisBone
Woz
jumpontopofmebaby
There is an offer on the table for The Police

Yawn.....

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.................

Maybe worth going if Boney M., Mud and U2 are added to the bill.

And ABBA of course..... :-)

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 6, 2017 04:40

Rolling Stone's list of potentials... with pros/cons.

Fleetwood Mac
Eric Clapton
Aerosmith
Elton John
Billy Joel
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
The Kinks
Springsteen
U2
The Police
Tina Turner

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: March 6, 2017 19:21

Saw that list a week ago and it seems there list of pros is very much wishful thinking and the cons are the crushing reality that most of them are pretty unlikely. Mac, Aerosmith, John, Joel and Springsteen have the best chance, as has been rumored by many. None of those upper echelon bigger ones seem that realistic.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: March 8, 2017 18:46

Irving Azoff tries to kill desert trip II

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-08 20:28 by roller99.

Date: March 8, 2017 19:10

When has Fleetwood Mac ever said they were done? I've heard Farewell tour possibly thrown around but not "we're not playing anymore".

Date: March 8, 2017 19:22

As I mentioned in the other thread, these East/West shows could actually be better than Desert Trip 2 - assuming there is one.

"Azoff is the only one who could mount such a thing, and I’m sure he’s got some other ideas for these July shows"

Looking forward to more details, but this could already have taken the wind out of the 'desert 2' sails.

Date: March 8, 2017 19:29

I still maintain there was no real wind in the desert 2 sails even before this. There wasn't really a way they could beat last year without a reunion. Yes, this might put a final nail in that coffin, but a fake reformed Eagles and Fleetwood Mac beats Desert trip 2? I don't know. I think either Desert Trip goes big with a reunion or it'll just be a similar assortment of classic rock bands. No sails are really taken out of either festival. If its just a plain assortment of classic rock bands, there are no winds to begin with. The wind last year was all those guys in one place and even before this was happening that didn't look possible for DT. This basically takes Fleetwood Mac out of it. There is no "Eagles".

Date: March 8, 2017 20:01

Maybe the Eagles / Fleetwood Mac concert will give Golden Voice a shove and get them to start putting out the Desert Trip 2 line up more sooner than later.

Otherwise other promoters could do the same thing with other bands at other locations.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 3 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2597
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home