Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...136137138139140141142143144145146...LastNext
Current Page: 141 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 27, 2018 18:32

GasLightStreet
As Rocky will completely understand, this thread has returned to being pre-pinned.

L'Chaim!

Date: February 27, 2018 18:39

What do you expect Keith to say? They work at the album at a schedule that works for them at this late stage of their life. I think it's great two guys pushing 75 are still working at new material at all. Sadly, most of us are upset they're not locking down for three months and playing for eight hours a day, five days a week to bash out an album and then promote it with a major world tour. Those days are over for them. The compromise is what works for the four of them within their limitations. Mick's voice and knee will not allow for a major world tour. Keith's knuckles (among other factors) will not allow for a major world tour nor a punishing schedule in the studio. The same with Charlie's back. Ronnie has had his share of health issues. The pace they have maintained is what works. That means about 15 shows a year and a bit of work each year on a new studio album until it's finished. Charlie Watts is 77 this year. Maybe it's the fans who "Gotta Get a Grip" if we expect more from them.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 27, 2018 19:18

terry
Found a interview from Keith yesterday about the upcoming tour.

Paul Anthony from planet rock asked Keith about the new album,
Keith replied it's halfway to near the beginning.....lol.
Only Keith could could give a reply like that.

Keith also said his reconvening in the studio with mick this week.
And when asked about a possible warm up gig, his said yeah if micks
Up for it.
You can listen to the full Keith interview online at planet rock.

eye popping smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 27, 2018 19:22

jlowe
terry

Up for it.

Why do the interviewers let their 'guests' get away with these non answers?
They should challenge and pin them down to be more specific.
It used to happen in the 'old' days.

The interviewer actually did his job and got an honest answer, no complaints!!
Pushed about a release date, Keith responded: “Oh man, it’s a bit early to say yet. Now that the tour’s coming up we probably won’t get into the studio again until later on this year. Christmas, how about that?!"

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 27, 2018 19:26

Rocky Dijon
What do you expect Keith to say? They work at the album at a schedule that works for them at this late stage of their life. I think it's great two guys pushing 75 are still working at new material at all. Sadly, most of us are upset they're not locking down for three months and playing for eight hours a day, five days a week to bash out an album and then promote it with a major world tour. Those days are over for them. The compromise is what works for the four of them within their limitations. Mick's voice and knee will not allow for a major world tour. Keith's knuckles (among other factors) will not allow for a major world tour nor a punishing schedule in the studio. The same with Charlie's back. Ronnie has had his share of health issues. The pace they have maintained is what works. That means about 15 shows a year and a bit of work each year on a new studio album until it's finished. Charlie Watts is 77 this year. Maybe it's the fans who "Gotta Get a Grip" if we expect more from them.

We've been waiting for 13 years...for a dozen of new songs.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 27, 2018 19:35

From what has been posted a page or two ago about the band's priorities, it seems the band realizes where their bread is buttered.

A new album will not get them airplay, nor will it add significantly to the set list -- their legacy is already secure, and their concert set lists reflect the music they will be remembered for.

It's not like the sessions for Beggar's Banquet, where there was something to prove and they needed to make a serious rock album as a sort of "comeback" after all the psychedelic pop dalliances of the year before.

Rather, a new album now is just a bit of recreational fun, a small creative diversion in between bouts of lucrative touring.

I'd much rather see a deluxe reissue of Tattoo You (Tattoo You, Too!), or something along those lines.

It's pointless to expect anything substantial from a new Stones album, when, from what their record company has to say about the matter, the Stones themselves have no such expectations.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 27, 2018 20:26

KRiffhard
Rocky Dijon

We've been waiting for 13 years...for a dozen of new songs.

And not sure I understand how this "work at the album at a schedule that works for them" that Rocky states is actually working for them when they have nothing to show for it? An album of blues covers was nice, but they bashed it out in two or three days in the studio, and since then - which I believe was the "hitting the wall" period, what have they accomplished and how has this schedule worked for them? Throughout this saga, they have been putting out teaser quotes - Keith for instance has said "working on it" and "sounding good", but now maybe he's being a bit more truthful by saying "it's halfway to near the beginning"...in other words it's gone nowhere. I understand them being mid-'70's old men and what that entails for them (Ronnie's health issues, Keith's knuckles,etc.), but maybe they shouldn't put out teaser quotes as if they're actually getting anything done. Anyhow, no biggie - 13 years and counting....in the meantime, there's been three different US presidents, the earth is still suffering from global warming, and ABB seems like a lifetime ago.

*All that being said, this is not a complaint or a whine - I'm perfectly happy with Keith's relatively recent Crosseyed Heart, and apprx. four decades (give or take) of other Stones material - their entire catalogue as it stands is enough to last a lifetime.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-27 20:46 by Hairball.

Date: February 27, 2018 20:45

matxil
georgelicks
If the new album will not be released until the next christmas season (at least), there's no reason to keep talking about nothing EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Yes there is. I remember the thread about Mick Taylor which ran into well 200 pages, and that was 40 years after he left. Some guys here can singlehandedly fill a 100 pages about why people are very unfair to Mick Jagger. It's the reason why this forum exists: we haven't had a decent album in 40 years so meanwhile we can discuss the odd note at minute 1.46 in I Am Waiting.

And there was speculation that some big rumours might arrive when the thread hits page 200 - still quite a ways to go for that. winking smiley

rollmops
140 pages of what is called in the USA of "shooting the shit"; nothing wrong with it.
Rockandroll,
Mops

thumbs up

Date: February 27, 2018 21:11

If you've been waiting 13 years for a dozen new songs, you already missed a couple dozen that came your way via EXILE RARITIES, BOOGIE FOR STU, SOME GIRLS DELUXE, GRRR, and BLUE & LONESOME.

And Hairball, you ask how is the relaxed schedule working for them? The alternative, the schedule many fans want, wouldn't work for them at all. They are physically unable or emotionally unwilling to work like they used to before they were pushing 80 years old. CROSSEYED HEART came together in the same piecemeal fashion. The same with this one. You won't get real news until it's locked and Universal is ready for it. Mick isn't the Peter Pan. It's fans who won't accept these very old men who are turning 77, 75 years old this year don't want to or can't work much harder than they do. It doesn't work for fans, maybe. So don't buy a ticket or buy the releases. There's been no shortage of releases for the past eight years and tour dates (at least 14) for the past five years (with a half a dozen dates in 2012). This is what they're willing to do. Most people would think it's surprising they even bother. They don't need the money or the hassle. They do the minimum (or the maximum, depending how you look at it) that works for them.

Date: February 27, 2018 21:21

Didn't intend to ruffle feathers Rocky, was just voicing an opinion and echoing what other have said, and didn't intend for you to defend their work ethic and/or what they have put out in the last 13 years.
Yes they do what they can as old men, and yes they have released odds and ends, but we're talking about a new album of originals - not leftovers from the vaults or blues covers. Two originals from the Stones as a band in the last 13 years on GRRR- that's all they've done as far as original new music. But again, no biggie - I'm happy to listen to all they've put out in the past. I don't expect anything, but when they talk about working on a new album with teaser quotes, it sort of leaves you wondering.

The latest from Charlie discussing sessions for supposed new album and Blue and Lonesome (paraphrase)- "and where's the new album now?"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-27 21:31 by Hairball.

Date: February 27, 2018 21:41

No, I wasn't offended, Hairball. I just thought you were taking my phrase of "what works for them" differently than I intended. I get everyone's frustration. If I had my way they would have toured less and recorded far more for the past 30 years. It didn't work that way and clearly they're wealthier for it. It's not about what any of us want, though.

Date: February 27, 2018 22:13

Cheers Rocky. I think reading a certain someone's recent frustrations over and over since the news of a compilation surfaced (and even before that) has infected me ha.
That said, I think some of those frustrations are justifiable and are coming from a good place - he's a diehard and is eager for something new, just as all of us are.

Now that Keith and Charlie have spoken some truth on the matter, it put's it all back in perspective - it will get done when it gets done ...if it gets done.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-27 22:15 by Hairball.

Date: February 27, 2018 22:30

Of course new songs would get airplay. All artists young and old get their opportunity to shine one way or another with new songs. The promotion machine is still out there and if the product is good and reverberates rest assured it will get noticed and listened to.

Date: February 27, 2018 22:33

Maindefender
Of course new songs would get airplay. All artists young and old get their opportunity to shine one way or another with new songs. The promotion machine is still out there and if the product is good and reverberates rest assured it will get noticed and listened to.

Ah, no.

Date: February 27, 2018 22:45

stonehearted
Maindefender

Ah, no.

Even Gotta Get A Grip got airplay......

Date: February 27, 2018 22:53

Maindefender
stonehearted
Maindefender

Ah, no.

For a day or two.

But are classic rock stations still playing Rough Justice?

When was the last time Doom and Gloom got a spin?

Even the band has dropped these from the set list.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: February 28, 2018 01:26

Okay, strap yourselves in for an argument...

I believe that any of Mick or Keith's solo work in the last 13 years could (and should) have been a Stones album. Age isn't stopping them from creating music. It's the Jagger/Richards partnership that's the problem now, and is what I think keeps us from getting a new Rolling Stones album of original songs.

I think the real truth is that Mick and Keith like each other enough to play together on stage, but not enough to spend the time writing together they way they used to. And they're too proud of the Jagger/Richards songwriting credit to collaborate with other songwriters for a Rolling Stones album.

From what I can see, Mick is a prolific songwriter and can sit down with a guitar and write a fast, mid-tempo, or a slow song all by himself. When Keith is alone, all he seems to be able to come up with are ballads. Anything mid-tempo or faster, he jams it out in the studio instead of sitting down and planning it out. That seems to be Keith's preferred method of songwriting anything other than a ballad these days. Just jamming away in the studio for hours, waiting for inspiration to strike. (Inspiration that doesn't seem to be coming if the past two years are any indication.)

So, it appears that putting together any new Rolling Stones album now starts Mick bringing in a batch of his songs, and Keith going down the list and saying yea or nay. Obviously he says nay a lot more than he says yea, but who knows if it's truly because Mick's songs are sub-par? If they're not good, what is Keith doing to improve them, if anything? Is he writing fresh bridges and choruses and making suggestions for changes? Or do the songs just instantly die as Stones songs because Keith listened to thirty seconds of a demo one time and gave them the thumbs down?

Date: February 28, 2018 01:57

Mick had mentioned in the past that Keith can sometimes be difficult in the studio just for the sake of being difficult which seems to be the case with this new album. For example, had Keith added a bit of his "magic" on Getta Grip and England Lost, it's quite possible they could have been contenders - or at least average Stones songs. Maybe not England Lost, but Getta Grip was a decent foundation where it could have evolved a bit more. But then again, maybe Keith didn't like the lyrics, and Mick was unwilling to change any of them? So Mick records them solo, and the results are what they are...a not-so-great Mick solo release.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-28 02:00 by Hairball.

Date: February 28, 2018 03:20

stonehearted
Maindefender
stonehearted
Maindefender

Ah, no.

For a day or two.

But are classic rock stations still playing Rough Justice?

When was the last time Doom and Gloom got a spin?

Even the band has dropped these from the set list.

I haven't listened to a classic rock station in a long long time. The Stones must have their own Sirius channel?? How much did Blue and Lonesome songs get played on the air? And it sold over 2 million....the promotion machines still get their message out. Where will Jack White's new album get played and how often? Sales? I realize I'm all over the place but so is music these days.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 28, 2018 03:28

Just saw today's Clash Magazine's Facebook interview of Charlie & Ron.
CHARLIE, too, is wondering where the new album is. !smiling smiley

haha; he recalls & recounts the various recording sessions; both before and after B&L...
...several of them,
but seems to, like the rest of us, also be wondering where that LP is....

One guess someone will phone him (them) shortly before,
or after,
we hear about it here.
(?)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-28 03:32 by hopkins.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: February 28, 2018 03:34

Maindefender
jlowe
terry

Up for it.

Why do the interviewers let their 'guests' get away with these non answers?
They should challenge and pin them down to be more specific.
It used to happen in the 'old' days.

The interviewer actually did his job and got an honest answer, no complaints!!
Pushed about a release date, Keith responded: “Oh man, it’s a bit early to say yet. Now that the tour’s coming up we probably won’t get into the studio again until later on this year. Christmas, how about that?!"

1. They are passing us off / jacking us around a bit with this new album. First he said he and Mick are getting together this week in the studio ... later he says they may not get around to the studio until later this year... ? .. .. ..

2. A solid hanful of session and they are 'half way to near the beggining'? .. Im lost. I guess that means they are 'in the middle' of it?

... What happened to his line about them finishing the album early in the year.

3. He mentions now with the tour (as if he just got word of the tour like everyone else?).

Wow .. I've heard about no rush .. however it seems they are basing little importance on this album .. at least for the past two years.

The question is this .. >>Is there more to it (positive or not so positive?) than what they / he are letting on?<<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-28 03:35 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 28, 2018 04:04

All hot air.

Forget about getting an album in 2018. Its clearly not a priority for them, so not much point getting worked up over nothing.

The inspiration and desire just isnt there anymore. May as well accept it and move on.

Date: February 28, 2018 05:14

IanBillen
First he said he and Mick are getting together this week in the studio ... later he says they may not get around to the studio until later this year... ? .. .. ..

2. A solid hanful of session and they are 'half way to near the beggining'? .. Im lost. I guess that means they are 'in the middle' of it?

... What happened to his line about them finishing the album early in the year.

Here are the exact quotes Ian:

“I would say (the album progress) is something like ‘half way to near the beginning!’ Actually Mick and I are getting together tomorrow in New York for a few days to do a bit more work on it so it’s progressing as I speak.”

The way I interpret this:

1.The album FAR from being finished.
2. He and Mick will be back in the studio tomorrow which is good news!!!
3. Again, album is FAR from being finished, and when pushed for an answer for it's release, Keith says Christmas - whether he means Christmas '18 or Christmas '19 is unclear .

The bottom line is at least they're still thinking about it, but where it goes from here is anybody's guess.
Hoping for a release in 2018, but at the snails pace they're going at it and being realistic, thinking probably mid-late 2019.

EDIT: In the same interview, Keith talks about Blue and Lonseome:

“Yeah, as an album I was really happy to get that out. It’s sort of an album that we could have done any time in the last 50 years but for some reason didn’t.
It reared its head and said ‘let’s go!’ So yeah, I was very happy with it. I wouldn’t mind doing a (‘Blue & Lonesome’) part two.

Not the first time he's mentioned that, so maybe that's what will happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-28 05:17 by Hairball.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: February 28, 2018 06:51

IanBillen

Rather sounds to me like they got next to nothing. Like, another solid handful of sessions and then only, perhaps, you could finally call it an actual beginning (unless they hit a brickwall again).

Posted by: rockerparis ()
Date: February 28, 2018 11:32

Mick jagger interview on french radio RTL
Full interview to be broadcasted on March 16

http://www.rtl.fr/culture/musique/mick-jagger-sur-rtl-je-travaille-sur-un-nouvel-album-des-rolling-stones-7792443156

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: February 28, 2018 12:07

...this morning a short new interview by Mick ...in french..! ( rtl.fr) he is working on a new album by the Stones ...BUT not before the tour. !

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 28, 2018 13:17

Hmm.. about those sessions with Mick Keith talked about starting today in New York... just another session for Mick to introduce his latest set of demos to Keith?... and then, if history repeats itself, we have a new Jagger single out soon....

Or, the big ego struggle over the new album going to a new level, and Mick, with no intent to give up, putting Keith into corner... Keith knowing that if he now rejects these new ones, he knows what Jagger will do with them - something, if we are to believe Keith's own words, he was seemingly surprised the last time - that the 'bugger' actually released them by his own and even with his 'authority', something Keith just joked about (seemingly, not really believing he would actually do that). How will Keith react...

Thank god, this is just speculation, and we don't anything what's going on...winking smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-28 13:17 by Doxa.

Date: February 28, 2018 13:25

If they're not just jamming in the studio, to see how things are turning out, I'd be very suprised smiling smiley

It doesn't sound like drama to me. And I must have missed the Keith-quote, where he said he was taken aback by Mick releasing those songs. Where did he say that?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 28, 2018 14:05

DandelionPowderman
If they're not just jamming in the studio, to see how things are turning out, I'd be very suprised smiling smiley

It doesn't sound like drama to me. And I must have missed the Keith-quote, where he said he was taken aback by Mick releasing those songs. Where did he say that?

I'm with you that I don't think it should mean any 'drama'. The thing that they are in a studio together is great news an sich and good enough for me!

Keith didn't say he was taken aback by Mick releasing his solo tracks - but made the impression, with that good Richadsian humor, that he couldn't have thought him doing that. So Mick - the 'bugger' as I recall him calling Mick - surprised him by doing that, be it good or not (I think he sounded more positively surprised). It's from the same interview from last year Keth mentioned about the songs "This is not Stones stuff. If you want to put them out, put them out by yourself" - seemingly people only picked up that part of the interview, not what he said afterwards. Sorry I tried, but couldn't find the interview now.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-28 14:06 by Doxa.

Date: February 28, 2018 14:09

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

I'm with you that I don't think it should mean any 'drama'. The thing that they are in a studio together is great news an sich and good enough for me!

Keith didn't say he was taken aback by Mick releasing his solo tracks - but made the impression, with that good Richadsian humor, that he couldn't have thought him doing that. So Mick - the 'bugger' as I recall him calling Mick - surprised him by doing that, be it good or not (I think he sounded more positively surprised). It's from the same interview from last year Keth mentioned about the songs "This is not Stones stuff. If you want to put them out, put them out by yourself" - seemingly people only picked up that part of the interview, not what he said afterwards. Sorry I tried, but couldn't find the interview now.

- Doxa

Yeah, I remember now thumbs up

Come to think of it, maybe the thing Keith had a beef with was within the contents of the lyrics, rather than that of the music?

I just hope they have fun in the studio, and that the session will bear fruits smiling smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...136137138139140141142143144145146...LastNext
Current Page: 141 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1862
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home