Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...131132133134135136137138139140141...LastNext
Current Page: 136 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 21, 2018 20:35

Gazza
GasLightStreet
Maindefender
Licks was 2002
Grrrrr was 2012
Too early to tour behind a greatest hits compilation. It's amazing they toured behind the Licks and Grrrr moniker as it is.........and got away with it easily
eye popping smiley

They've done it three times, toured behind a hits comp. 1975 was the first.

They didnt really. I know 'Made in the shade' came out just after the tour started but it was still only a few months after IORR had come out and that album featured heavily in the setlist of that tour.

It was two things, really. The tour but also because of what ABKCO released. Probably more so because of ABKCO than the tour.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 21, 2018 20:36

We aim to please, Hairball.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 21, 2018 20:46

rollingstone.com. winking smiley
"The cover art provided by UMG is certain to raise eyebrows with its phallic cartoon giraffe leering at the viewer with a thinned-down version of the Stones' trademark lapping tongue hanging from its mouth.
"That's Gerry," Jagger said, quickly adding "...with a G. He's our mascot."

IanBillen
Yeah .. what I meant is there was only 'talk'... as an option being discussed (as he noted) .. Nothing serious and that they will look into marketing the new album with a time frame as oppossed to getting together for a compilation.

Yes Ian that's a possibility, and nothing is etched in stone yet regarding a compilation.
But in order to look into marketing the new album with a time frame, don't they need to have finished a new album first?

To keep the hopes alive, this recent quote from Rocky Dijon should help calm fears:

"You'll get it in the same time frame as any creative work, when it's done. For now, keep your eye on December and wait and see".

December is not that far away, and if it's finished by then we'll be gifted with a new Stones album!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-22 23:39 by bv.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: February 21, 2018 20:49

Rocky Dijon
Stones 'Still Hard'
rollingstone.com March 12, 2018

2018 might finally be the year for the Rolling Stones' long-promised follow-up to 2005's A Bigger Bang. The new album titled Still Hard is "an eclectic mix of styles which is really something they've never done before," says Grammy-winning co-producer and pioneering hipster Don Was. "We're the guys who put out albums of old blues numbers, right? Nobody expects us to mix it up after all these years," quipped Keith Richards recently on the phone from his manager's New York office. When asked if he heard of the recent online meme suggesting he was separated from birth with The CryptKeeper from the old Tales From the Crypt TV series, the guitarist erupted with choking laughter before cackling, "I'll devour your soul, boy." Stones front man Mick Jagger was beaming and not just from the news he's expecting his ninth child in September. The veteran rocker said he was "very pleased" that longtime keyboard player, arranger, and houseboy Matt Clifford had eight co-writing credits among the fifteen tracks on the new album. The cover art provided by UMG is certain to raise eyebrows with its phallic cartoon giraffe leering at the viewer with a thinned-down version of the Stones' trademark lapping tongue hanging from its mouth. "That's Gerry," Jagger said, quickly adding "...with a G. He's our mascot." When asked about retailers' statement that if they still stocked CDs they wouldn't carry suggestive artwork, Jagger replied, "That's just people's dirty minds, I can't help that. We just see a classic, noble beast who stands out in a crowd." The fifteen tracks of electronica, reggae, funk, blues, rock, country, and jazz contained on Still Hard do just that. When asked if this will finally be the last time, Jagger replied, "No, I was writing songs for the next album just the other night."

You did too good a job, people will believe this smiling smiley)

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: February 21, 2018 20:52

Hairball
rollingstone.com. winking smiley
"The cover art provided by UMG is certain to raise eyebrows with its phallic cartoon giraffe leering at the viewer with a thinned-down version of the Stones' trademark lapping tongue hanging from its mouth.
"That's Gerry," Jagger said, quickly adding "...with a G. He's our mascot."

IanBillen
Yeah .. what I meant is there was only 'talk'... as an option being discussed (as he noted) .. Nothing serious and that they will look into marketing the new album with a time frame as oppossed to getting together for a compilation.

Yes Ian that's a possibility, and nothing is etched in stone yet regarding a compilation.
But in order to look into marketing the new album with a time frame, don't they need to have finished a new album first?

To keep the hopes alive, this recent quote from Rocky Dijon should help calm fears:

"You'll get it in the same time frame as any creative work, when it's done. For now, keep your eye on December and wait and see".

December is not that far away, and if it's finished by then we'll be gifted with a new Stones album!

Yes .. this is what I mean ... meaning they should put (should of already put round the first of the year) a little 'gentle pressure' on The Stones to friggin finish the album in simply saying .. to em .."We'd like to promote / this all originals album that you got going this fall. How are things going with that?".

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-22 23:39 by bv.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 21, 2018 20:54

Rocky, that last bit about Jagger expecting his ninth child and if STILL HARD "will finally be the last time" and Mick doing his usual side stepping with 'oh I'm working on the next one now' bit is absolutely on point.

ESPECIALLY the "finally be the last time" since... they've never said it to begin with.

Date: February 21, 2018 20:55

Lorenz
Rocky Dijon
Stones 'Still Hard'

2018 might finally be the year for the Rolling Stones' long-promised follow-up to 2005's A Bigger Bang. The new album titled Still Hard is "an eclectic mix of styles which is really something they've never done before," says Grammy-winning co-producer and pioneering hipster Don Was. "We're the guys who put out albums of old blues numbers, right? Nobody expects us to mix it up after all these years," quipped Keith Richards recently on the phone from his manager's New York office. When asked if he heard of the recent online meme suggesting he was separated from birth with The CryptKeeper from the old Tales From the Crypt TV series, the guitarist erupted with choking laughter before cackling, "I'll devour your soul, boy." Stones front man Mick Jagger was beaming and not just from the news he's expecting his ninth child in September. The veteran rocker said he was "very pleased" that longtime keyboard player, arranger, and houseboy Matt Clifford had eight co-writing credits among the fifteen tracks on the new album. The cover art provided by UMG is certain to raise eyebrows with its phallic cartoon giraffe leering at the viewer with a thinned-down version of the Stones' trademark lapping tongue hanging from its mouth. "That's Gerry," Jagger said, quickly adding "...with a G. He's our mascot." When asked about retailers' statement that if they still stocked CDs they wouldn't carry suggestive artwork, Jagger replied, "That's just people's dirty minds, I can't help that. We just see a classic, noble beast who stands out in a crowd." The fifteen tracks of electronica, reggae, funk, blues, rock, country, and jazz contained on Still Hard do just that. When asked if this will finally be the last time, Jagger replied, "No, I was writing songs for the next album just the other night."

Would be funny to see this spark rumours and be published in other "newsworthy" sources. smiling smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 21, 2018 21:33

Gazza
GasLightStreet
Maindefender
Licks was 2002
Grrrrr was 2012
Too early to tour behind a greatest hits compilation. It's amazing they toured behind the Licks and Grrrr moniker as it is.........and got away with it easily
eye popping smiley

They didnt really. I know 'Made in the shade' came out just after the tour started but it was still only a few months after IORR had come out and that album featured heavily in the setlist of that tour.

Aside from a few months in 2005-06 just after ABB came out, the Stones have effectively toured behind a greatest hits show since 2002 (although in their defence, whilst Licks was a retrospective tour, they did vary things away from the warhorse-heavy format in the arena and theatre gigs)

Effectively, the days of touring behind an album are long gone. Their focus in the 21st century has been as a nostalgia/heritage act celebrating their past, not as a 'current' band. In the 80s and 90s they did try to see themselves as that kind of band, somewhat in defiance of a concert audience who were mainly there to hear older songs. Theyve just basically accepted that their average audience demographic is older and not that open to being musically adventurous anymore (although personally I think they're a bit more open than the Stones like to think)

At least last year's tour seemed a little different with the Blue and Lonesome songs. They fit in real well and didn't drag down the show. If anything added some spark.....

Date: February 21, 2018 21:41

Hairball
Would be funny to see this spark rumours and be published in other "newsworthy" sources. smiling smiley

There are jokes in nearly every line. I would hope no one is that foolish. Maybe I'll edit my post and list it as "fake news."

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 21, 2018 21:49

Lorenz
Rocky Dijon
Stones 'Still Hard'

Well, sure, I did at first -- the source has rollingstone.com... then it just occurred to me a minute ago... It isn't March yet, is it?

Date: February 21, 2018 22:01

I figured you were reading quickly, stonehearted. I added a disclaimer if only to protect the site. Naturally, there's still a joke or two in the disclaimer.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 21, 2018 22:12

GasLightStreet
Gazza
GasLightStreet
Maindefender
Licks was 2002
Grrrrr was 2012
eye popping smiley

It was two things, really. The tour but also because of what ABKCO released. Probably more so because of ABKCO than the tour.

Yes thats somewhat true. Made in the Shade only came out because ABKCO were releasing Metamorphosis in the same week the tour started - it was normal practice then for them to put out a product whenever the Stones were releasing new material although at least with this one it was unreleased stuff. That was back in the days when a poorly assembled cash-in by an old record label would see the band take out full page ads asking people not to buy it as it was substandard. winking smiley

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 21, 2018 22:50

Is he expecting his 9th child?
I made a joke about that once here w/ the bizarre 80’s tune reference
‘Situation number 9, blowing my mind’
and a dude at Costco today was singing it outloud as I walked by.

As crazy as thinking they are playing gigs in CA this year.

‘Still Hard’
You’re bad, Dijon.
But fess up what you know.

Date: February 21, 2018 23:36

Mick is not expecting a ninth child, 35love. The whole thing was in jest in an attempt to lighten our collective depression over a potential 55th Anniversary compilation.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 22, 2018 00:01

I knew your witty ditty was in jest,
but truth is stranger than fiction sometimes.
To further depress you,
there is always a mad, profitable rush purchase
on greatest hits compilations
on bands that are no more.
Tom Petty, Steely Dan,
Bowie, Prince.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: February 22, 2018 06:50

Gazza
GasLightStreet
Maindefender
Licks was 2002
Grrrrr was 2012
eye popping smiley

Aside from a few months in 2005-06 just after ABB came out, the Stones have effectively toured behind a greatest hits show since 2002 (although in their defence, whilst Licks was a retrospective tour, they did vary things away from the warhorse-heavy format in the arena and theatre gigs)

Effectively, the days of touring behind an album are long gone. Their focus in the 21st century has been as a nostalgia/heritage act celebrating their past, not as a 'current' band. In the 80s and 90s they did try to see themselves as that kind of band, somewhat in defiance of a concert audience who were mainly there to hear older songs. Theyve just basically accepted that their average audience demographic is older and not that open to being musically adventurous anymore (although personally I think they're a bit more open than the Stones like to think)

Sure... I agree .. You agree... Most here would agree .. but here is the thing .. The Stones (especially Jagger) would <not> agree or accept this tag / lable. They would say they are still at least one-half 'current' or attempting to be a current act still.. .. ... (and there is not much a basis for that to back up their opinion on that anymore)

They can say whatever they want but the clock is ticking and like you say all they do for the better part is tour behind re-releases and greatest hits packages over the past 15 years. It's bloody tiring - (and old).

Actually the most 'interesting' thing they have done in 10 years is play the entire Sticky Fingers album that one show. At least that was a change from the steady warehorses Stadium shows.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-22 06:53 by IanBillen.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 22, 2018 11:20

Yeah, like some people on this board i am pissed about the possible release of a compilation album. they better make it interesting for the die-hard fans.
Jeroen

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 22, 2018 11:37

corriecas
Yeah, like some people on this board i am pissed about the possible release of a compilation album. they better make it interesting for the die-hard fans.
Jeroen

I could think of interesting compilation albums. For instance: "all good/great songs on mediocre albums which I don't want to listen to in their entirety" :
- Citadel
- She's A Rainbow
- Winter
- Melody
- Tie You Up (Pain of Love)
- Feel On Baby
- One Hit
- Sleep Tonight
- Baby Break It Down
- Thief In The Night
- Laugh, I Nearly Died

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: February 22, 2018 12:08

Thief in the night? Here we go again...Yeah...fantastic song...it will alone sell millions...

Posted by: wupperstein ()
Date: February 22, 2018 12:11

matxil
corriecas
Jeroen

I could think of interesting compilation albums. For instance: "all good/great songs on mediocre albums which I don't want to listen to in their entirety" :
- Citadel
- She's A Rainbow
- Winter
- Melody
- Feel On Baby
- One Hit
- Sleep Tonight
- Baby Break It Down
- Thief In The Night
- Laugh, I Nearly Died

I wish the Stones would play this songs live!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 22, 2018 12:54

wupperstein
matxil
corriecas
Jeroen

- Citadel
- She's A Rainbow
- Winter
- Melody
- Feel On Baby
- One Hit
- Sleep Tonight
- Baby Break It Down
- Thief In The Night
- Laugh, I Nearly Died

I wish the Stones would play this songs live!

I could do without Laugh, i nearly died.
for the rest its good. Maybe The harder they come and run rudolph run as keefs songs.
jeroen
Jeroen

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 22, 2018 14:13

Looks like the band has payed homage to the infamous "hitting the wall" moment.
Latest update has The wall rolling it's eyes while the tongue got a bit messed up in the collision.

Date: February 22, 2018 15:40

IanBillen

Sure... I agree .. You agree... Most here would agree .. but here is the thing .. The Stones (especially Jagger) would agree or accept this tag / lable. They would say they are still at least one-half 'current' or attempting to be a current act still.. .. ... (and there is not much a basis for that to back up their opinion on that anymore).

When was the last time they suggested that ? It certainly used to be the case that Jagger paid lip service (no pun intended) to that ethos but they certainly havent alluded to it at any time in the last decade that I can see.

Its quite obvious by now that with all the anniversary concerts, expanded reissues, 'themed' shows (like SF live), archive releases, career spanning retrospective books, autobiographies, exhibitions, bringing back ex-band members for guest slots and concerts that have more often than not seen an entire show consist of songs that are over a quarter of a century old that they've long ago accepted that they're on a victory lap now. And with those things proving to be very financially lucrative, they're clearly ok with it.

Date: February 22, 2018 15:44

Gazza
IanBillen

Sure... I agree .. You agree... Most here would agree .. but here is the thing .. The Stones (especially Jagger) would agree or accept this tag / lable. They would say they are still at least one-half 'current' or attempting to be a current act still.. .. ... (and there is not much a basis for that to back up their opinion on that anymore).

When was the last time they suggested that ? It certainly used to be the case that Jagger paid lip service (no pun intended) to that ethos but they certainly havent alluded to it at any time in the last decade that I can see.

Its quite obvious by now that with all the anniversary concerts, expanded reissues, 'themed' shows (like SF live), archive releases, career spanning retrospective books, autobiographies, exhibitions, bringing back ex-band members for guest slots and concerts that have more often than not seen an entire show consist of songs that are over a quarter of a century old that they've long ago accepted that they're on a victory lap now. And with those things proving to be very financially lucrative, they're clearly ok with it.

The last cry (in this context) from Mick must be the songs on his solo single..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-22 15:44 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: February 22, 2018 15:51

Yes it speaks volumes that each of them have been more keen to release 'new' songs on solo records in the last couple of years yet so reluctant to give fans even a sniff of anything original under the band name for several years.

The money is in the nostalgia. The creative side appears to be for side projects.

Date: February 22, 2018 20:28

The future of the Stones as a band lies in their past. (another recycled comment). While not looking forward to another compilation, would be happy with more releases from the vaults.
With that in mind, while the BBC On Air was nice and well-intentioned (even though Mick said he had hardly anything to do with putting it together) it was a bit redundant for some of us as everything was readily available via boots in better quality. Plus the yellow cover was gaudy...should have been more vintage/subtle as the Beatles BBC releases were. Don't know why they keep using yellow (On Air, No Filter, No Stopping), but it makes me yearn for the blue of Blue and Lonesome. With my luck the new compilation cover will be pure yellow and will be titled The Yellow album... with yellow cd's and yellow vinyl.

In the meantime, a new album of originals in their future? Can't say I'm holding my breath, but there is the slightest glimmer of hope.
If not, hoping for some more Keith solo material...Crosseyed Heart was great

Date: February 22, 2018 21:34

My cover (Deluxe LP) was orange winking smiley

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: February 22, 2018 22:30

These guys have been writing great songs for 50 years I'm sure they could come up with a few gems but maybe too few to fill an album?

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: February 22, 2018 23:37

GasLightStreet
Maindefender
Licks was 2002
Grrrrr was 2012
eye popping smiley

1999 they toured on a live album which I thought was odd at the time

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 22, 2018 23:49

Please do NOT post animated graphics on IORR. I will delete them.
Please do not post stupid pictures on IORR. I will delete those posts.
I am way too busy with real stuff now to have time for cleaning up stupid pictures.
Which basically means Harry will take care of stuff, so I get more free time for important stuff.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-22 23:50 by bv.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...131132133134135136137138139140141...LastNext
Current Page: 136 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1861
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home