Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...140141142143144145146147148149150...LastNext
Current Page: 145 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 3, 2018 05:32

Rocky Dijon
GasLightStreet
I've edited what you said to point out something that, perhaps you were getting at but didn't say, oh, directly enough:

For whatever reason, there hasn't been anything as identifying as Start Me Up since... Start Me Up.

That's not Matt Clifford's fault.

Which is what you were saying as well, without say saying it in that regard.

I wouldn't say it's Matt Clifford's fault (though I am highly critical of his role for the past 18 years), it is Mick's fault. He doesn't want to take the time to challenge himself, his alleged songwriting partner, or their band to really produce something worthwhile. He wants to accomplish as much work in as little time as possible. If you listen to him, he says the same thing about writing with Dave Stewart. The songs come quickly and are finished quickly. He likes that. He says he prefers to come to a Stones session with already written and arranged material. He likes polished demos. There's even a quote from the last decade or so where he talked about being happy to use parts of demos on the finished track. That has nothing to do with Jagger-Richards as songwriters or all material "arranged by The Rolling Stones." It's Mick Jagger finding shortcuts so the creative process isn't hard work. Where possible, he reduces the band (even Keith) to sidemen. "Work for the money" as he once shouted over Jeff Beck's sub-Neal Schon solo on "Throw Away." At the time, as a snotty 16 year old, I thought that's what he wishes he could say when Keith and Ronnie solo. In the last 25 years, it's become the unspoken sentiment.

And no, I don't absolve Keith. Had he not turned into a guy who needs to jam for hours or days or weeks or months before a song comes together, the situation might never have occurred. They may not have grown up much, but they did grow apart. Different circles, different working methods, different inspirations. Keith should have become a cross between Neil Young and Tom Waits, a cult figure making his own art living off the fact that he was the sound of The Rolling Stones for 20 years. Mick, always more disciplined, never lost his work ethic, but did lose his commitment to art. He was content to point his finger and call "Yeah, whoo, livin' the charmed life" a song. It may be the worst example, but sadly, it's not an isolated one. It's his equivalent to Keith's litanies of "baby, baby, baby" and "honey, honey, honey" that clutter his work. Both of them became lazy in their own ways.

The thing is, as they turn 75 this year, I don't expect them to change; I just want them to finish what they started and give us another disc so I can run the gamut of emotions from thinking it's better than I had a reason to expect to satisfying myself that there's about four songs I'll continue to think fondly of a few months later when it's no longer new.

As much as I... can't stand Matt Clifford, I wasn't defending him by any means, as I agree with all that you say, Rocky - it's just... it's not his fault. However, he certainly doesn't help. At all.

Mick's work ethic. I've often thought of his position since, oh, DIRTY WORK possibly, but certainly more "visible" the past 20 or so years, as someone that loves to chop trees down and clear cuts... the wrong forest. "But... look how MUCH I did!" doesn't justify it at all. 40 demos? Why not cut down what you need?

Although this is off in a lot of aspects, in the truest sense of Mick having a song ready the last time it was really good was Miss You. There are some that I like since then that he's brought to the studio essentially finished and had Keith put his fairy dust on it (or whatever it is he said) and Ronnie with whatever. Mick said something about Ronnie recording (most likely an overdub) a slide track on a ABB song that was a bit... weird. I can't find it.

The war of egos within the Stones' last 2 LPs (that would be BRIDGES and BANG, in case anyone has nodded off to sleep) is obvious, more so on BTB, with the obvious solo songs recorded by the Stones, than on ABB, where it sounds, at least to me, there is more of an actual meeting of the two (It Won't Take Long, Rough Justice, She Saw Me Coming, Biggest Mistake, Laugh..., Dangerous Beauty and Let Me Down Slow being the best tracks of the album, with Rain, Neo Con and that horrible ballad being obvious Mick songs).

I love all 3 of Keith's songs on BTB. I don't care for Mick's songs so much, especially that horrible late to the game contemporary one that is just garbage (the ballads are awful as well).

There's just too much division, not enough quality. As much as Keith is the other factor of the creative downfall, it appears that he gave in to having his usual 2 tracks, the odd number of Jagger-Richards tracks and then just towing the line with playing Keith Richards on Jagger's solo Stones songs. Something many here have expressed in various ways, regardless of which "team" they are on.

Perhaps everyone wanting the same thing - some really good Stones songs.

Maybe that's the truth behind Gotta Get A Better Song and England Lost - Keith finally put his foot down and will not allow the very likely 'if it ever gets finished and released' last Stones LP to suck in the manner of the previous, oh, 5 LPs.

Time will tell? REALLY? Will it? It may not. It certainly doesn't seem like it will.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: March 3, 2018 08:26

Hairball
IanBillen
Hairball
I was initially poking fun at Keith who has stated in the past he receives signals form the cosmos that give him ideas and helps him write songs.
As for the current status of the new album, not sure how much it's progressing even now. Sure Keith met Mick in New York, but as others have said that could mean a number of things. Since Mick was just in Chicago, maybe he was brushing up on his blues knowledge and they'll end up recording Blue and Lonesome pt.II (ie more blues covers) which Keith said he'd be happy to do. But even Keith himself said that after this "session", it will be a LONG time before they get back to work on it, so we should be careful not to put the cart before the horse. In the meantime, lots of press and interviews followed by a tour. After that, rest and relaxation with family, and maybe they'll get something done after that?

Yeah I know about Keiths idea of songs coming in from space. As he has said .. he feels he is just a transmitter (though I think he is at least partly joking I'm sure).

There is no B&L part two. This is a brand new studio album of originals. Charlie spilled the beans ... clearly spilled them whenhe stated very candidly that they did a few sessions before B&L sessions and some after.... several ..which amassed for well enough material which is why he wonders where the album is as well. Jagger and Richards are still tweaking what they have at the moment it seems.

Some time after July they will mix it and release it in late fall I believe ... September the earliest. They could come together now once more for some final recordings.

I should start calling you Nostradamus as you seem so sure in your ability to predict the future, but the difference is Nostradamus was somewhat accurate with his predictions.

Truth of the matter is nobody knows about an album of originals with absolute certainty - not even Charlie! Yes they did some preliminary sporadic sessions, but that might have all been scrapped and they plan on recording more blues covers which would only take a couple of days. For all we know, we might even have a Blue and Lonesome pt II before the new tour starts! Keith has stated several times now that's what he would like to do, and as I've said repeatedly that would be better than nothing (and possibly better than some average originals). Either that or another compilation, and if we're lucky maybe one or two new tunes included which could very well be covers themselves.

That said, I trust the words of georgelicks who seems to know more than anyone here, as well as probably knowing more than almost everyone in the band.

"They (Mick and Keith) will be on NY during the next few days hearing some songs recorded on previous sessions and doing some more work but the full band
won't be back again on the studio after the tour is over. That's it for the new album out this year, 2019 is the new date".

Followed by:

"According to Don Was, they spent 3 weeks on the studio since 2015 (including the 3 days for B&L), they will be on the studio again for a couple of days this week
and no more sessions after the tour is over, the next time could be anytime between September/December. The new album is green as a tree".

Dream on all you want Ian, but I'm afraid you might be setting yourself up again for another letdown.

With respect to you and Georgelicks but I'll take Charlie Watts word on what happened and how many sessions (which he noted there were several) before any one of us here.

The songs they are writing / working on currently are originals. Keith wouldn't mind doing Blue & Lonesome part two <some time down the road> is what he meaning there ... Right now they are working on original material. Read all the articles... Nobody is talking about B & L part two or even the possibility of B & L part two right now. They are talking about and talking about with them a new album of 'original material' because that is what they are working on. Remember .. these are the people sitting down talking to them personally on this very subject. How are you going to take <anyones> word on this message board over that or their own (jus sayin .. ?).

The article you are talking about is from The Wall Street Journal .. that interview was done before the holidays. Keith spoke about getting together to record <after> the holidays .. and then that would be it for a long while after those sessions. those session or that is where / the time frame we are in now. Isnt fantasy .. The Blue & Lonesome thing right now is a fantasy / wishful hope right now at this moment (its not what they are into) .. and doing that this soon would be a big mistake on their part.

I think we will most likely still get the album this year. The Interviews with them are starting to become more obvious that that is what is on the agenda because they are all talking about that with them... Just my opinion (but it has a strong basis).

Ian

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-03 09:06 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 3, 2018 09:15

Everyone believes Charlie when he said they did a few sporadic sessions over the last two years, but the fact is he doesn't know what became of any of it.
And he never once mentioned amassing enough original material for a new album, he only stated they did several sessions.
But maybe you should take it from Keith himself - one of the two head captains who steer the ship. When discussing the progress of the new album just a few days ago prior to his meeting with Mick, Keith said:

“I would say (the album progress) is something like ‘half way to near the beginning!’...
Now that the tour’s coming up we probably won’t get into the studio again until later on this year. Christmas, how about that"?!

And again from georgelicks

"They (Mick and Keith) will be on NY during the next few days hearing some songs recorded on previous sessions and doing some more work but
the full band won't be back again on the studio after the tour is over. That's it for the new album out this year, 2019 is the new date".

To form an opinion based on what Charlie said who admittedly has no clue of what happened with the sessions vs. what Keith is saying a few days ago seems a bit out of touch with reality.

IanBillen
"Some time after July they will mix it and release it in late fall I believe ... September the earliest"

Doesn't fit into the timeline, but if you wish hard enough maybe it will happen?

In the meantime, prepare for the compilation Universal is discussing, and with any luck maybe they'll include a new tune (maybe an outake/leftover cover from the Blue and Lonesome sessions).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-03 09:21 by Hairball.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: March 3, 2018 09:24

Hairball
Everyone believes Charlie when he said they did a few sporadic sessions over the last two years, but the fact is he doesn't know what became of any of it.
And he never once mentioned amassing enough original material for a new album, he only stated they did several sessions.
But maybe you should take it from Keith himself - one of the two head captains who steer the ship. When discussing the progress of the new album just a few days ago prior to his meeting with Mick, Keith said:

"Now that the tour’s coming up we probably won’t get into the studio again until later on this year. Christmas, how about that"?!

And again from georgelicks

"They (Mick and Keith) will be on NY during the next few days hearing some songs recorded on previous sessions and doing some more work but
the full band won't be back again on the studio after the tour is over. That's it for the new album out this year, 2019 is the new date".

To form an opinion based on what Charlie said who admittedly has no clue of what happened with the sessions vs. what Keith is saying a few days ago seems a bit out of touch with reality.

IanBillen
"Some time after July they will mix it and release it in late fall I believe ... September the earliest"

Doesn't fit into the timeline, but if you wish hard enough maybe it will happen?

In the meantime, prepare for the compilation Universal is discussing, and with any luck maybe they'll include a new tune (maybe an outake/leftover cover from the Blue and Lonesome sessions).

Charlie asked 'where is the new album?' ..'I wonder too?' based on the many sessions they did .. Not because they didn't have enough or was not sure if the material was up to snuff.

He answered that he would like to know as well and he went on to base that on the many sessions they had (meaning they certainly recorded plenty enough to have an album). He stressed the various sessions they had recording the new stuff.

September does not fit into the timeline for a new album but a single from it. Album could come October / November. Keith said Christmas .. as a joke meaning that is how he's looking at it .. as in the album it isnt coming any time soon so dont hold your breath on that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-03 09:26 by IanBillen.

Date: March 3, 2018 09:39

It should be noted that all this talk from them about the supposed new album is a result of them doing the publicity rounds for the new tour.
Of course they're going to be asked about it (everyone is curious!), but with the vagueness in all of their answers you can almost feel them cringe and squirm when confronted with the questions.

"where is the new album? I wonder too'" - Charlie

“I would say (the album progress) is something like ‘half way to near the beginning!’
Now that the tour’s coming up we probably won’t get into the studio again until later on this year. Christmas, how about that"?!..- Keith

Doesn't sound like they have an absolute plan, and it's probably the last thing they want to talk about due to it's failure to come together over the last two years.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: March 3, 2018 14:15

Usually by the time Ronnie and Charlie are brought into the studio the songs are mostly done, so i was just curious as to why they didn't finish this album in time for this tour.

I mean its 13 years since the last album of originals, no rush boys, meanwhile they are still touring.
A missed opportunity to play some new songs to the people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-03 16:52 by stone4ever.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 3, 2018 15:18

My guess is, the album will be released, just before the Christmas holidays.
jeroen

Date: March 3, 2018 16:33

Hairball
Everyone believes Charlie when he said they did a few sporadic sessions over the last two years, but the fact is he doesn't know what became of any of it. And he never once mentioned amassing enough original material for a new album, he only stated they did several sessions.

There's always this:

Charlie: The classic one on this album is the one Keith's done. I mean, I didn't know what... right up until about 2 months before the album... has now come out.
Mick: Which one are you talking about, Charlie?
Charlie: I mean, I didn't know...
Mick: Which song... ?
Bill: All About You.
Mick: Oh, All About You.
Bill: The "train song".
Mick: Yeah.
Charlie: Yeah.
Ron: Train Song, that's what we knew it as.
Charlie: Yeah, Keith's, yeah... Oh nobody knows...
Bill: It's just a track called Train Song.
Charlie: And I never knew what Keith was going to (put) on it, I never knew what he wanted... But it was a great track to play. That's being a drummer, you know?
Ron: He ended up singing that too, which is quite pleasing.
Charlie: Yeah, it's great. But I mean...
Mick: It's not me singing it (laughs).
Charlie: How he made a song out of it, I don't know.

[timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: March 3, 2018 17:00

doitywoik
GasLightStreet
From the sound of the overdubs, it was about an hour.

In fact I do remember reading an article/interview (but can't remember when/where) in which someone said that it was kind of a one-take-affair, like Keith going in, doing his overdubs each more or less in one take, and going out again.

OpenG
My two cents - Mick Jagger has never matured as a songwriter and never really wrote any mature lyrics in his 40's and thereafter.

That's the good thing about not being a native speaker of English: you don't care so much about the lyrics. grinning smiley
"I was a butcher cutting up meat ..." OK, so what. Apart from that, on the whole I don't find Mick's lyrics so bad. At any rate, they're different from the rest out there (as a recent example, D&G, not your average "Ooooh dawlin'") and certainly several levels above Keith's. And even if some of his lyrics are better (whatever that means) than others, also e.g. Neil's lyrics aren't all masterpieces.

keithsman
Can't help but think we are not getting the full picture here. Even Charlie is saying where is it, what's happened to the album.

We certainly don't, how can we. I guess that after Charlie's drum track is laid down, he's not much involved in the further proeedings and learns that the album is out only when he gets a call to show up at a press conference, or from the media.

As much as Keith would like to do another blues album, I hope they don't do it. What would be next then? Mick sings Dylan, Keith sings Dean Martin?

I totally agree with you doitywoik, and as much as i loved Blue And Lonesome, i was, and i still am disappointing we didn't get the album of originals.

Something to still look forward to though and i think it will be worth the wait.

When Mick and Keith fall out we usually get good product, hopefully Keith has stuck to his guns and forced some collaboration from Mick this time out.
This could be the reason for the delay, perhaps Mick isn't getting it all his way on this album. Also good for product.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 3, 2018 17:17

Maybe they can dig up Honest man and Zip Mouth Angel.
jeroen

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 3, 2018 19:30

It would be easier to see some more deluxe package releases......

Date: March 3, 2018 20:39

corriecas
My guess is, the album will be released, just before the Christmas holidays.
jeroen

That was also my guess, but that was two years ago!
Now we're nearing the Spring of 2018, a new tour is on the horizon, and talk of a compilation is being discussed.
And then there's the strong possibility of a NO Filter live document - be it cd, dvd, or both which will probably be ready a couple of months after the tour.
And then they have their private lives, family time, vacations, etc. It's a positive sign Keith and Mick met the other day, but maybe they were discussing what tracks to put on the compilation album?

Add all that together, my prediction is mid-late 2019.

GasLightStreet
Hairball
Everyone believes Charlie when he said they did a few sporadic sessions over the last two years, but the fact is he doesn't know what became of any of it. And he never once mentioned amassing enough original material for a new album, he only stated they did several sessions.

There's always this:

Charlie: The classic one on this album is the one Keith's done. I mean, I didn't know what... right up until about 2 months before the album... has now come out.
Mick: Which one are you talking about, Charlie?
Charlie: I mean, I didn't know...
Mick: Which song... ?
Bill: All About You.
Mick: Oh, All About You.
Bill: The "train song".
Mick: Yeah.
Charlie: Yeah.
Ron: Train Song, that's what we knew it as.
Charlie: Yeah, Keith's, yeah... Oh nobody knows...
Bill: It's just a track called Train Song.
Charlie: And I never knew what Keith was going to (put) on it, I never knew what he wanted... But it was a great track to play. That's being a drummer, you know?
Ron: He ended up singing that too, which is quite pleasing.
Charlie: Yeah, it's great. But I mean...
Mick: It's not me singing it (laughs).
Charlie: How he made a song out of it, I don't know.

[timeisonourside.com]

That can be seen as a positive regarding the supposed new album, but also shows how much out of the loop Charlie is when it comes to making and completing Stones records.

A positive way to look at it is Charlie has no idea whatsoever of the status other than he played on some sessions the last couple of years, and little does he know the album is very near completion.
Might be a stretch to think along those lines considering Keith's vague quotes (‘half way to near the beginning!’), but it adds a tiny grain of hope amidst the quagmire.

But I have a feeling (and others have mentioned this) that Keith is being as stubborn as possible, unwilling to work or finish anything he deems unpleasant. Getta Grip/England Lost is a prime example, and if those were the best of Micks 40 demos, then the wait for a new album of originals is just beginning. As stubborn as Keith may be, in the long run it seems he's thinking of the legacy and doesn't want to just toss out some 'original' trash for the sake of doing so. Bottom line, it's not ready until it's ready, and if it takes until 2020 and beyond, then so be it. Being what could be their last album, it's worth the wait.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 3, 2018 20:48

Maindefender

Would be easier, sure, but would it be worthwhile? EOMS was alright because the outtakes/bonus songs were interesting one way or other, but Some Girls was kind of a let-down to me because listening to the outtakes made it clear why they didn't make it onto the album, and in my oppinion they had better stayed in limbo.

In principle they could even combine the Best Of and the Deluxe thing: how about a 40 Licks Deluxe with all the Paris Sessions outtakes, e.g. a 30 min version of Well Well ... winking smiley

Posted by: bam ()
Date: March 3, 2018 21:18

2019? 2020? I’m still going with 2023.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: March 3, 2018 22:27

corriecas
jeroen
honest man should have been released

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 3, 2018 23:04

Daily Mirror, citing the usual nameless insider:

Meanwhile, Mick and Keith were in a New York studio this week writing new material. “They had a right laugh,” an insider said.

[www.mirror.co.uk]

Date: March 4, 2018 00:05

bye bye johnny
“They had a right laugh,” an insider said.

At us, I guess.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 4, 2018 00:30

doitywoik
Maindefender

Would be easier, sure, but would it be worthwhile? EOMS was alright because the outtakes/bonus songs were interesting one way or other, but Some Girls was kind of a let-down to me because listening to the outtakes made it clear why they didn't make it onto the album, and in my oppinion they had better stayed in limbo.

In principle they could even combine the Best Of and the Deluxe thing: how about a 40 Licks Deluxe with all the Paris Sessions outtakes, e.g. a 30 min version of Well Well ... winking smiley

Damn that SG deluxe disc is mighty fine. Love You Too Much alone worth the price...drinking smiley

Date: March 4, 2018 00:41

doitywoik
bye bye johnny
“They had a right laugh,” an insider said.

At us, I guess.

Lol...they should be working on the album rather than reading this thread!
But if they are reading, there's a chance they can glean some good ideas and advice, and the slim possibility they'll pick up the pace a little. winking smiley

13 Years and Counting.............wow.

Date: March 4, 2018 02:52

Hairball

Perhaps we should rather be working on their album than reading this thread! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
I'm sure there are enough gifted musicians among the IORRians to come up with a proper Stones album ... cool smiley

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 4, 2018 03:55

I've been working on some material for them, so no worries.
I've got more than the song 'titles' too, my friend;
that's right; I've got the entire arrangements pretty much too.
....tho I'm tempted to leave one of the titles here...

Date: March 4, 2018 04:17

doitywoik
Hairball

Perhaps we should rather be working on their album than reading this thread! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
I'm sure there are enough gifted musicians among the IORRians to come up with a proper Stones album ... cool smiley

I've written and recorded plenty of Stonesy albums in the last 13 years all by myself! thumbs up

A Bigger Bong
Bridges to Babe Land
Voodoo Lunch
Real Meals
Cleanly Work
Underpanties

winking smiley

Date: March 4, 2018 04:42

Voodoo Lunch ... LOL!smiling bouncing smileysmileys with beer That's great, especially as I am right now watching a replay of Fear The Walking Dead, totally fits the vibe ... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

BTW, earlier I checked out the bottom end of the Tell Me forum, and found the below judgement. Little did we know back then.

Jack Knife
... And I doubt that they would tour again without new material. I also don't think they will wait 8 years to record another album again...

Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: August 4, 2005 00:49

Date: March 4, 2018 04:47

Jack Knife - I think he's either hiding in shame for his inability to predict, or was banned along time ago for being 100% wrong. grinning smiley

Date: March 4, 2018 05:58

Careful, Hairball, might happen to us as well when predicting that there will be a new album by the end of / not before the end of 2017/18/19/20/21 ... winking smiley

Some more tribute albums:

40 Clicks (... for the youtube generation)
Wordy Jerk (... the Dylan cover album)
Financial Rescue (... Ronnie daydreaming)
Aftercash (... Mick's reckoning)
Between the Muttons (... the eternal topic of shepherd's pie)
Mine A Blight (... another live album full of definitive versions grinning smiley)
Only Rogue and Droll (... more incarnations of the Glimmer Twins)
Smack and Flu (... diseases of the band)
Some Churls (... by the Rolling Stonesses winking smiley)

Date: March 4, 2018 06:01

black n blue
corriecas
jeroen
honest man should have been released

Absolute garbage, the Stones pulling a Kenny Loggins. Horrible. Would've made a great horrible Jagger solo song.

Date: March 4, 2018 06:09

Mick has written some mature lyrics... or lyrics that seem mature. Mainly with the ballads: Almost Hear You Sigh, Out Of Tears, Biggest Mistake. Laugh... I Nearly Died is probably the best thing he's written since Waiting On A Friend.

Date: March 4, 2018 06:10

doitywoik
Hairball

I got my Epiphone fixed. My Champ is in the shop. Super Reverb holding the floor down. Les Pauls are working good.

Date: March 4, 2018 06:25

Pick your pick and strike 'em strings!

Date: March 4, 2018 06:30

doitywoik
Careful, Hairball, might happen to us as well when predicting that there will be a new album by the end of / not before the end of 2017/18/1920/21 ... winking smiley

Some more tribute albums:

40 Clicks (... for the youtube generation)
Wordy Jerk (... the Dylan cover album)
Financial Rescue (... Ronnie daydreaming)
Aftercash (... Mick's reckoning)
Between the Muttons (... the eternal topic of shepherd's pie)
Mine A Blight (... another live album full of definitive versions grinning smiley)
Only Rogue and Droll (... more incarnations of the Glimmer Twins)
Smack and Flu (... diseases of the band)
Some Churls (... by the Rolling Stonesses winking smiley)

smiling smiley

Wordy Jerk! grinning smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...140141142143144145146147148149150...LastNext
Current Page: 145 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2157
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home