Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...341342343344345346347348349350351...LastNext
Current Page: 346 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: June 11, 2019 19:41

Let's hope concert tours will feature for some time to come. Clapton said he was scaling back a few years ago but his 2019 schedule is similar to The Stones.
Harder for him as a solo Act also.
I somehow cant see The Stones putting out records if they are not performing, also. They have always been a Live band foremost, studio second.
Except for that brief mid 67 to mid 69 period.
I cannot see the group putting on the odd gig, like Paul Simon will do.
Having a 400 support team behind you has its downside.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 11, 2019 19:51

jlowe
Let's hope concert tours will feature for some time to come. Clapton said he was scaling back a few years ago but his 2019 schedule is similar to The Stones.
I somehow cant see The Stones putting out records if they are not performing, also. They have always been a Live band foremost, studio second.

Not exactly.

Albums released without a tour:
TSMR
BB
IORR
ER
U
DW

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: June 11, 2019 21:48

GasLightStreet
jlowe

Not exactly.

TSMR
BB
IORR
ER
U
DW

The 1969 tour came before LET IT BLEED, so I don't know if that counts as touring behind the album. Could the TOUR OF THE AMERICAS in '75 be counted as touring behind IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N ROLL or rather MADE IN THE SHADE? Also, they technically didn't tour behind BLUE & LONESOME.

Date: June 11, 2019 22:57

JordyLicks96
GasLightStreet
jlowe

Not exactly.

TSMR
BB
IORR
ER
U
DW

The 1969 tour came before LET IT BLEED, so I don't know if that counts as touring behind the album. Could the TOUR OF THE AMERICAS in '75 be counted as touring behind IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N ROLL or rather MADE IN THE SHADE? Also, they technically didn't tour behind BLUE & LONESOME.

They toured LET IT BLEED before it came out... and toured in 1970.

1975 tour was not an IORR or MADE IN THE SHADE tour nor have I ever read that they planned it to be a tour behind an album, seeing that they were a long way off from finishing BLACK AND BLUE, it was just a tour.

They didn't technically tour behind BLUE AND LONESOME,ie the BLUE AND LONESOME TOUR like they did with STEEL WHEELS and VOODOO and BRIDGES and BANG. Had they thought of it in the 1970s they probably would've named their 1978 and 1981-82 tours after SOME GIRLS and TATTOO YOU.

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: June 16, 2019 17:14

5 days until the 21st. So far no news.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 16, 2019 19:02

CJFP

No,ofcourse not. Nothing will happen.album wont be
There till 2020.
Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-16 19:03 by runrudolph.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 17, 2019 11:26

CJFP

eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 17, 2019 11:45

CJFP

No new Album at the start of the Tour because the Master-Tapes must have been ready for that many weeks before.

The only possibility would be the introduction of one new Track on June 21st and his digital release (Spotify, iTunes, YouTube, etc) on Fri, 12-Jul-2019, a Vinyl-Single maybe later on. Theoretically.

Date: June 17, 2019 15:28

Irix
CJFP

No new Album at the start of the Tour because the Master-Tapes must have been ready for that many weeks before.

The only possibility would be the introduction of one new Track on June 21st and his digital release (Spotify, iTunes, YouTube, etc) on Fri, 12-Jul-2019, a Vinyl-Single maybe later on. Theoretically.

The first single on June 21st...dreaming doesn't cost anything!

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: June 17, 2019 15:35

Haha that would be something, playing a new song out of the blue on the first show in Chicago. Someting like on the Juilliard School in 2005 for the announcement of the Bigger Bang Tour.

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: June 17, 2019 15:37

Lord I hope we get something!!!

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: June 17, 2019 16:13

Agreed, hopeful for something but doubt it.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 17, 2019 16:47

Was there mention in the rehearsal thread that new songs were played?

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: June 17, 2019 22:10

Maindefender
Was there mention in the rehearsal thread that new songs were played?

Where not very much mention at all about songs......

Date: June 18, 2019 00:19

Not trying to be a downer here but I'm not expecting anything new to be played. Could I be wrong? Sure. But at this point, I would be very surprised if they played a new song that won't be released for a long time. They've done it very rarely over the years:

"Loving Cup" was played under the title "Gimme A Little Drink" at Hyde Park in July 1969 and wouldn't be released until May 1972. I think the earlier version was originally going to be released on LET IT BLEED.

"Brown Sugar" was played at Altamont in December 1969, throughout the European Tour in 1970 and at all of the shows during the UK Tour in March 1971 before the official release in April 1971.

"Worried About You" was played at the El Mocambo Club in March 1977 and wouldn't be released until August 1981.

"Oh No, Not You Again" was played at the Juilliard School of Music in May 2005 and wouldn't be released until that September.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-18 00:26 by JordyLicks96.

Date: June 18, 2019 01:07

JordyLicks96
Not trying to be a downer here but I'm not expecting anything new to be played. Could I be wrong? Sure. But at this point, I would be very surprised if they played a new song that won't be released for a long time. They've done it very rarely over the years:

"Loving Cup" was played under the title "Gimme A Little Drink" at Hyde Park in July 1969 and wouldn't be released until May 1972. I think the earlier version was originally going to be released on LET IT BLEED.

"Brown Sugar" was played at Altamont in December 1969, throughout the European Tour in 1970 and at all of the shows during the UK Tour in March 1971 before the official release in April 1971.

"Worried About You" was played at the El Mocambo Club in March 1977 and wouldn't be released until August 1981.

"Oh No, Not You Again" was played at the Juilliard School of Music in May 2005 and wouldn't be released until that September.

Cherry Oh Baby was played in 1975 at the second and sixth Madison Square Garden shows. That tour the set list didn't budge except for that and one other song. Must've been maddening.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: June 18, 2019 01:14

I think if there would be anything new they would have teased us on their social media accounts for the last few weeks

Date: June 18, 2019 01:21

They may be keeping it quiet and making it a genuine surprise.

Date: June 18, 2019 01:38

GasLightStreet
JordyLicks96

Cherry Oh Baby was played in 1975 at the second and sixth Madison Square Garden shows. That tour the set list didn't budge except for that and one other song. Must've been maddening.

Yes, I forgot about Cherry Oh Baby. I was talking about original material though. I'm sure there were a few people at those shows who had had at least heard the original COB before. Playing a new original song that no one has ever heard before might send people to the bathrooms. I for one would go nuts over hearing a new song. I was at the Pittsburgh show during the ZIP CODE TOUR and when they played Doom and Gloom, many people just stood there like "okay I don't care about this newer song."

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 18, 2019 02:09

JordyLicks96
I was at the Pittsburgh show during the ZIP CODE TOUR and when they played Doom and Gloom, many people just stood there like "okay I don't care about this newer song."

Happened every time I saw it played live, but it's not that great of a song in the first place so it's no wonder the crowd showed little interest.
Imagine though if they actually unleashed a great song on the audience...might be a few indifferent people in the crowd, but more than likely a majority would go wild.
Both Doom and Gloom and One More Shot just don't have that type of magic - they sort of just exist, and it's no wonder they don't play either of them anymore.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 18, 2019 03:21

GasLightStreet
JordyLicks96

We've been making these lists many times here, but here we go (some additions):

Technically the LET IT BLEED material they played during 1969 American tour before Palm Beach and Altamont shows was not officially released yet. So they played every night "Live With Me", "Love In Vain" and "Midnight Rambler" (the last two already debuted months earlier in Hyde Park), and occasionally "Gimme Shelter" to totally fresh ears. They also played "You Gotta Move" in some gigs before they even recorded it at Muscle Shoals.

During European Tour 1970 not just "Brown Sugar" but "Dead Flowers" (and "You Gotta Move") as well was a show regular.

The whole Goodbye to Britain tour in 1971 was also done before the release of "Brown Sugar" and STICKY FINGERS, so all that material was non-released by then: "Brown Sugar", "Bitch", "Dead Flowers", "Wild Horses" (all show regulars), then "I Got The Blues" (if that Marquee show counts), probably "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" as well.

Then we might add the live debut of "You Can't Always Get What You Want" in ROCK'N'ROLL CIRCUS.

The thing is: during those years (1969-71) they weren't shy to play non-released songs to their audiences.

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-18 03:35 by Doxa.

Date: June 18, 2019 05:10

They did "tour" after LET IT BLEED came out... in December they did two double bills on the 14th and 21st.

Summer/Fall of 1970 they did some shows, the set list changed a little bit - Roll Over Beethoven and the 3 STICKY FINGERS tunes... and still played SFTD. But they had already started to move on from LET IT BLEED, while still playing 4 songs from it, onto the next thing, which slightly evolved in 1971 for just a few shows, to include Bitch.

By the EOMS tour in 1972 the set list changed a little bit more, with only up to 8 songs from the previous 3 years of shows still in the set, which carried over into the early 1973 tour. For the Summer/Fall 1973 tour they put in 4 GHS songs (5 at one point), while retaining the body of the body of the previous 3 years' of touring.

Elements of those tours floated in the 1975-76 set lists but by then so much had changed it was basically different.

So there's a pretty distinct era from 1969-1973 with the set lists evolving but having the same frame.

Something they've done for quite a long time now in their post-Wyman years is... basically the same set list.

Obviously the 1978 tour presented the most new songs from the new album at the time but they've been pretty good about playing new tracks from the album in support through 1982.

It changed in 1989-2007, with playing a couple and gradually putting more into the set, which they basically abandoned with the A BIGGER BANG tour.

What does that have to do with the new album that's... whatever it is? Maybe they'll surprise us and play a new song, which will give us some hope that they'll actually put the new album out.

LP release/Tour start 1969-2005
LIB came out December 5, the tour started November 7.

EOMS came out May 26, the tour started June 3.

GHS came out August 31, the tour started September 1.

BAB came out April 23, the tour started April 28.

SG came out a day before that tour started.

TY came out August 27, the tour started September 25 - the longest amount of time between a release and tour start!

SW came out August 29, the tour started August 31.

VL came out July 11, the tour started August 1, their second longest gap.

BTB came out September 27, the tour started September 23. I can't find when the bridge was installed, I recall Mick talking about how they had to fix it and it wasn't ready for the beginning of the tour and how the tour was about bridges and there was no bridge.

ABB came out September 5, the tour started August 21.

Date: June 18, 2019 06:29

Hairball
JordyLicks96
I was at the Pittsburgh show during the ZIP CODE TOUR and when they played Doom and Gloom, many people just stood there like "okay I don't care about this newer song."

Happened every time I saw it played live, but it's not that great of a song in the first place so it's no wonder the crowd showed little interest.
Imagine though if they actually unleashed a great song on the audience...might be a few indifferent people in the crowd, but more than likely a majority would go wild.
Both Doom and Gloom and One More Shot just don't have that type of magic - they sort of just exist, and it's no wonder they don't play either of them anymore.

I think Doom and Gloom is okay. Catchy but I wasn't crazy about it when it came out. One More Shot is "Stones by the numbers." Very catchy but nothing else really. I want something new, Stonesy but eclectic.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 18, 2019 06:34

There's always hope JordyLicks96 just as there always is, but I have a feeling we might be in for a nice surprise this time around. thumbs up

It's been a LONG time...

Date: June 18, 2019 06:51

Hairball
There's always hope JordyLicks96 just as there always is, but I have a feeling we might be in for a nice surprise this time around. thumbs up

It's been a LONG time...

Those are my exact expectations. I think they really want this to be a great album from start to finish. They've worked on this thing for over 3 years. It HAS to be a solid album and I expect it to be.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: June 18, 2019 07:27

JordyLicks96
Hairball

It's been a LONG time...

Those are my exact expectations. I think they really want this to be a great album from start to finish. They've worked on this thing for over 3 years. It HAS to be a solid album and I expect it to be.

If they put out a fair album it would put a slight damper on the end portion of their career (they know that). As well Blue & Lonesome was very well received. A slightly surprising hit record actually .... and it sold well. Now they have something they have to live up to or surpass (they realize that as well).

In short .. there is something riding on this album and they know it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-18 07:28 by IanBillen.

Date: June 18, 2019 08:29

IanBillen
JordyLicks96
Hairball

It's been a LONG time...

If they put out a fair album it would put a slight damper on the end portion of their career (they know that). As well Blue & Lonesome was very well received. A slightly surprising hit record actually .... and it sold well. Now they have something they have to live up to or surpass (they realize that as well).

In short .. there is something riding on this album and they know it.

Agreed Ian, this album is very important to their legacy. With SATANIC, they knew they needed to come out with a back-to-basics album. BEGGARS BANQUET did just that. The mid-seventies shoved them in the corner being labeled as "aging rock stars" and an "outdated band." So they shoved it back down the critics' throats with their best selling American album, SOME GIRLS. In '89 they had the biggest comeback in rock history with the STEEL WHEELS TOUR. The album, while feeling like a comeback itself, wasn't a fantastic effort as a whole. Since then they have put out albums that haven't lived up to a full Stones fan standards. It's now been the longest stretch in their history without an album of originals. It's by no means a make or break for them, but if the name THE ROLLING STONES wants to make headlines again, this album needs to be solid. No fillers. No 16 tracks, over an hour long. This album NEEDS to be the best album since TATTOO YOU.

Date: June 18, 2019 10:47

bv
New songs are in the works. That is for sure. How and when they are going to be presented is yet to be determined. We will know a lot more about this by June 21.

3 days...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-18 10:50 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 18, 2019 15:51

Call me a spoilsport ...but I'd rather they didn't release the odd new track as a taster .

I'd rather wait for the whole album. It's not as though they're a song or two short of a set list is it ? grinning smiley

..nor do they really need the additional promo to kick off the tour.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 18, 2019 15:54

@#$%& new songs for the tour.... play some nuggets on this tour and the world will be a better place... Slave... Fingerprint File, Heartbreaker, Hand of Fate give us the tunes that make this band the best band ever

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...341342343344345346347348349350351...LastNext
Current Page: 346 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2087
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home