Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...338339340341342343344345346347348...LastNext
Current Page: 343 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: June 4, 2019 05:58

Spud
Miles Showell proves that if you listen to his remaster of ABB.

A Digital recording from the outset...but now mastered with much less compression . Sounds like a different record...and much the better for it.

Where can this remaster of ABB be gotten? I always felt ABB wasn't such a bad album, it just had terrible mastering.

Spud
The frustrating thing for me is that digital these days can sound pretty good... but we almost always ruin the results in the mastering .

... and the most ridiculous thing is a 24bit/192kHz version of something that has before been hammered flat, compressionwise ...

HMS
There is not even the tiniest hint how one of the new songs sound like, rocker or ballad or whatever. No one seems to have heard any of that new stuff.

Several years ago (pre-wall hitting) there was talk of a great soul ballad (whatever that means) among the new songs. But who knows if that hasn't meanwhile been discarded.

Deathgod
Stuff they are working on is great

Yeah, as always with the Stones: everything's killer, never a filler! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 4, 2019 06:04

They're in their mid to late 70s.

No one is to say what they have to write about.

It's simply a matter of IF they want to.

The process involved to get them to work together... there's no shortage of material. It's not up to the fans to say it's worth a shit - until it comes out.

They had ONE DAY where it didn't work.

Can not anyone equate that to when they recorded loads of songs per session in the 1970s - not everything they did worked. For THEM.

Yes it's been years of them talking about it.

That's where it is NOW!

So what.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: June 4, 2019 06:11

GasLightStreet

The process involved to get them to work together... there's no shortage of material. It's not up to the fans to say it's worth a shit - until it comes out.

Can not anyone equate that to when they recorded loads of songs per session in the 1970s - not everything they did worked. For THEM.

That's where it is NOW!

So what.

I agree. I have never heard so much bashing on some material and how poor it is (or must be) .. when an album is not released .. or complete .. nor has any of it even been heard? I think that's pretty ridiculous. Hell if ya wanna basgh something at least wait until it's completed, named, released and ya actually hear it before knocking it (smh?).

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 4, 2019 06:28

Who's bashing, and what for?!!!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 4, 2019 09:32

doitywoik
Spud
Miles Showell proves that if you listen to his remaster of ABB.

A Digital recording from the outset...but now mastered with much less compression . Sounds like a different record...and much the better for it.

Where can this remaster of ABB be gotten? I always felt ABB wasn't such a bad album, it just had terrible mastering.

Only on the vinyl LP I suspect.

The boxed set is accompanied by a download...but according to to the folks who download & stream stuff the files are just a mixture of previously released masters and the Abbey Road work appears to have been for vinyl release only.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-04 13:21 by Spud.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: June 4, 2019 11:27

IanBillen
GasLightStreet

That's where it is NOW!

So what.

I agree. I have never heard so much bashing on some material and how poor it is (or must be) .. when an album is not released .. or complete .. nor has any of it even been heard? I think that's pretty ridiculous. Hell if ya wanna basgh something at least wait until it's completed, named, released and ya actually hear it before knocking it (smh?).

The Stones' mythical final album may turn out to be the exception but the general rule of thumb is the longer an album takes to complete, the worse it is. An overly long production period usually means there's no creative energy and the artist is struggling trying to come up with new ideas. Or has lost the drive and focus to complete whatever songs they have. I can't think of any albums I listen to that took more than a year to write and record.

Date: June 4, 2019 12:15

TornAndFried
IanBillen
GasLightStreet

That's where it is NOW!

So what.

The Stones' mythical final album may turn out to be the exception but the general rule of thumb is the longer an album takes to complete, the worse it is. An overly long production period usually means there's no creative energy and the artist is struggling trying to come up with new ideas. Or has lost the drive and focus to complete whatever songs they have. I can't think of any albums I listen to that took more than a year to write and record.

But they have been doing this in small spurts, not through an "overly long production process"?

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: June 4, 2019 12:25

IanBillen
marquess
Dear All,
regarding the subject of Analog vs Digital, being the first, FAR MORE, superior than the latest, I hereby share a link regarding the AAA ("All Analog" process of making recors (LP´s) and it´s superiority when compared to digital.

http://pure-analogue.com/]All Analog[/url]

Interesting stuff. A while ago I wrote an article concerning why recordings do not always sound as they did in the past. It deals mostly with the technical aspects of the recording process. You can check it out here on my website: My Article About The Sound of Newer vs Recordings of Yesteryear

Thank you very much.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: June 4, 2019 15:05

DandelionPowderman
TornAndFried

But they have been doing this in small spurts, not through an "overly long production process"?

It doesn't matter that they have only been doing this in short spurts. They are either uninspired and unfocused about recording, or the material is weak and they don't know what to do with it. Probably all the above, unfortunately.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-04 15:20 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 4, 2019 15:24

TornAndFried
DandelionPowderman
TornAndFried

It doesn't matter that they have only been doing this in short spurts. They are either uninspired and unfocused about recording, or the material is weak and they don't know what to do with it. Probably all the above, unfortunately.

Or maybe they just are men in their seventies whose working habits, be them making records or gigging, aren't like they were some, say, twenty years ago...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-04 15:25 by Doxa.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 4, 2019 15:28

New songs are in the works. That is for sure. How and when they are going to be presented is yet to be determined. We will know a lot more about this by June 21.

Bjornulf

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 4, 2019 15:33

bv
New songs are in the works. That is for sure. How and when they are going to be presented is yet to be determined. We will know a lot more about this by June 21.

smileys with beer

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: June 4, 2019 15:35

bv
Holy Bleep! That is the best news we have ha din a long time!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 4, 2019 15:46

I just hope that they aren't going to release a small number of download/stream only new tracks to be promoted with the tour....

...but which aren't then on the album when it comes out and are thus not available on my beloved vinyl .

Date: June 4, 2019 15:50

Hmmm... great, great news indeed. What the news about them doing some recordings prior new rehearsals, what Was has said before to the press and then to someone's mate here and now BV's talk of "by June 21" sounds promising. An optimist in me says that there is a good chance that a new Stones release might still see the daylight during this calender year, most likely for Xmas sales, as Keith suggested last year.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-04 16:06 by Doxa.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 4, 2019 15:51

bv

smileys with beer

Date: June 4, 2019 15:54

Doxa
to someone's mate here

I think I missed this part. Would you fill me in?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-04 15:55 by CJFP.

Date: June 4, 2019 16:01

CJFP
Doxa
to someone's mate here

A few days ago:

Deathgod
A mate caught up with Don Was

Basically
No new Stones album before Xmas
They have recorded loads of tracks but not one track is finished yet

- Doxa

Date: June 4, 2019 16:04

Doxa
CJFP
Doxa
to someone's mate here

A few days ago:

Deathgod
A mate caught up with Don Was

Basically

- Doxa

Thanks Dox!

Date: June 4, 2019 16:22

Could it be, could it really be that they might release something to go along with the tour....??? A "Gotta Get A Grip"/"England Lost" kinda thing..?

That might explain the recent studio work by at least some of the principals...probably just adding some over-dub to some of the non-finished tracks. Something they didn't have time prior, but the extra time due to Mick's health problems opened up a window for...

Theoretically possible I guess.. but the realms of optimism and realism might clash a bit here...

- Doxa

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: June 4, 2019 16:36

The tour kicks off on a Friday. I’ve had a gut feeling with all the little clips that they might release a song or 2 on that day. No inside info but just a gut feeling. If they do fantastic. I’ve always thought that they’ve been recording some stuff as far back as 2011. Remember them jamming in London prior to the 50th and jagger showed up for a couple of days? Then they were in a studio in NYC in mid 2012 for about 3 weeks before they went to Paris to cut Doom and Gloom and One Mote Shot. Then they rehearsed a ton before the 5 shows in 2012. I really don’t think they were just playing Start Me UP etc in that studio prior to cutting the tracks in Paris. Could be wrong but didn’t they do like 8 weeks of rehearsals after cutting the tracks for the 5 shows?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 4, 2019 16:41

Doxa
Theoretically possible I guess.. but the realms of optimism and realism might clash a bit here...
- Doxa

Have thought new song(s) debuting at the opener was a strong possibility for a while, based on the studio time, social media posts etc., but bv's post has moved it in my mind to a strong probability.

Assuming the info came via the rehearsals (which may not be accurate) I am reminded that on the last leg they rehearsed a lot of gems that went unplayed on the tour, so trying not to let the expectations get too high..
Gotta say though, this upcoming opener is getting more exciting by the day cool smiley

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 4, 2019 18:50

Deathgod
"A mate caught up with Don Was
Basically
Stuff they are working on is great"

georgelicks
"There's nothing new to report when the album won't be released until 2020 at least, according to some sources the album is about 50/60% done, at least the 18-20 songs the band is working on/off during the last 3+ years, they want to keep working on it until its done right.
There's more studio time booked during late November and December, maybe the final sessions"

BV
"New songs are in the works. That is for sure. How and when they are going to be presented is yet to be determined. We will know a lot more about this by June 21"

...almost there!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 4, 2019 19:26

marquess
IanBillen
marquess
Dear All,
regarding the subject of Analog vs Digital, being the first, FAR MORE, superior than the latest, I hereby share a link regarding the AAA ("All Analog" process of making recors (LP´s) and it´s superiority when compared to digital.

http://pure-analogue.com/]All Analog[/url]

Interesting stuff. A while ago I wrote an article concerning why recordings do not always sound as they did in the past. It deals mostly with the technical aspects of the recording process. You can check it out here on my website: My Article About The Sound of Newer vs Recordings of Yesteryear

Thank you very much.

The biggest difference in sound that I've noticed is how acoustic guitars sound from the late 60s/late70s recordings - since then they don't sound nearly as good.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 4, 2019 20:13

Great news.

Sounds like the idea of a single or EP release to coincide with the tour (which was talked about somewhere way back in time*) is actually going to happen after all....hopefully anyways.
If not an actual release, then there's hope that a new tune (or two) will be played during the live shows.

If there's just one thing that could boost the vibe of these upcoming concerts a notch above how vibrant they're already going to be, a new song (or two) would be the answer.
And if there's an actual release of a single or EP coinciding w/tour, no doubt it will sell like hotcakes...at the merch stands alone.

*I think it was both bv and georgelicks who mentioned the single/EP scenario prior to the original tour announcement. Also there was mention of the possibility of having ticket bundles sold w/new music.
While the latter is not happening, the former seems more of a reality now more than ever which can be seen as one of the benefits of having the tour postponed - the Stones will gift us with new music!

"We will know a lot more about this by June 21" - (bv)....less than three weeks away. eye popping smileysmiling smiley

Here's to hoping. thumbs up

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 4, 2019 21:24

I would welcome a track, or two, release. Doom and Gloom, a strong single, and the weak B-side, reminded me of the old days. Something new would be welcome. Hopefully they've been able to at least pull together a decent single.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 4, 2019 21:52

24FPS
I would welcome a track, or two, release. Doom and Gloom, a strong single, and the weak B-side, reminded me of the old days. Something new would be welcome. Hopefully they've been able to at least pull together a decent single.

well, i completely disagree with DnG.. strong single..
one of their weakest n worst songs in their entire career.
jeroen

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: June 4, 2019 21:57

I would like much better than Doom and Gloom at this point.

Date: June 4, 2019 22:13

I am so excited for new music. It really seems they've pulled it together and worked it out. Let's hope for an EP, expect a single.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: June 5, 2019 00:12

Hairball
Who's bashing, and what for?!!!

'Why are we bashing .. ?''Cool out, People''Brother's and Sister's

Besides .. only Ole 'Basher Watts' can rightfully bash .. ... ha!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...338339340341342343344345346347348...LastNext
Current Page: 343 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2367
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home