Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...334335336337338339340341342343344...LastNext
Current Page: 339 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 25, 2019 00:55

Ian Billen
"The Stones sudden want to get it done ..."

And you're basing this on an anonymous quote by a "spokesperson" from an article that doesn't exist?
Not saying it's false, but as bye bye johnny pointed out, none of this appears in the Daily Star.

A spokesperson for the band told the Daily Star newspaper: "The album is moving ahead but no release date as yet.
"Mick is keen to make up for lost time. This album has been spoken about for a long time, so now they are keen to get it out as soon as possible."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-25 00:56 by Hairball.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 25, 2019 01:08

…. let's track down this Stones
spokesperson and slip 'em a mickey of truth serum ……

ROCKMAN

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 25, 2019 01:14

HMS
Mick is right about mass audiences and warhorses.
It´s the only way to fill arenas & stadiums.

And the usual crowd at the concerts does not care for new songs/albums, they yawn every time a new song is performed.
So what is a new album good for, Mick probably is asking himself.

the answer is that at 76 either you put out music for yourself, because you love to do that or you dont. because it certainly won't please the big crowd.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 25, 2019 03:24

maumau
HMS
Mick is right about mass audiences and warhorses.
It´s the only way to fill arenas & stadiums.

And the usual crowd at the concerts does not care for new songs/albums, they yawn every time a new song is performed.
So what is a new album good for, Mick probably is asking himself.

the answer is that at 76 either you put out music for yourself, because you love to do that or you dont. because it certainly won't please the big crowd.

You might do it with a view to your future reputation for your whole existence as band.

[ And don't give me the remark that they don't owe us anything, because their decline as a creative unit, nonetheless, still contributes to some extent to how they are considered or are going to be remembered.]

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: May 25, 2019 05:03

Hairball
Ian Billen

And you're basing this on an anonymous quote by a "spokesperson" from an article that doesn't exist?
Not saying it's false, but as bye bye johnny pointed out, none of this appears in the Daily Star.

A spokesperson for the band told the Daily Star newspaper: "The album is moving ahead but no release date as yet.
"Mick is keen to make up for lost time. This album has been spoken about for a long time, so now they are keen to get it out as soon as possible."

I saw this info on msn ... not the Daily Star? As well .. they are in The Studio .. At least Keith .. Ronnie are ... and possibly Mick. Strange / inconvenient time for overdubs .. innit?

Date: May 25, 2019 05:10

IanBillen
Hairball
Ian Billen

I saw this info on msn ... not the Daily Star? As well .. they are in The Studio .. At least Keith .. Ronnie are ... and possibly Mick. Strange / inconvenient time for overdubs .. innit?

Yes the original artcile was on msn, but they were quoting stuff from a supposed article in the Daily Star that is nowhere to be found.

And yes, maybe seems a strange and inconvenient time for overdubs, but if the above quote from a spokesperson is indeed true, they are "keen to make up for lost time".
Rehearsals are starting soon, so maybe they can work out some of the kinks of the supposed new material while they're at it.

Date: May 25, 2019 05:44

Hairball
IanBillen
Hairball
Ian Billen

Yes the original artcile was on msn, but they were quoting stuff from a supposed article in the Daily Star that is nowhere to be found.

And yes, maybe seems a strange and inconvenient time for overdubs, but if the above quote from a spokesperson is indeed true, they are "keen to make up for lost time".
Rehearsals are starting soon, so maybe they can work out some of the kinks of the supposed new material while they're at it.

I see ... Either way .. why would they suddenly care about it right before a tour. Of all the time I thought they definitely wouldn't be working on it .. It would be right now.

Suddenly they are back working on the album right before a tour (for an album that is not going to be released during the tour (nor will any new songs be played .. you'll see).

*Something* got a fire underneath em .. (I think the record company is getting tired of waiting / a little fed up and may of even pushed at them in wanting the album this year .. or perhaps it is in their contract ..to put it out in 2019)?

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 25, 2019 05:51

IanBillen
they are in The Studio .. At least Keith .. Ronnie are ... and possibly Mick. Strange / inconvenient time for overdubs .. innit?

Per The Times interview with Don Was published last week, Keith was recording overdubs in NYC earlier this month.

[iorr.org]

Date: May 25, 2019 06:06

bye bye johnny
IanBillen
they are in The Studio .. At least Keith .. Ronnie are ... and possibly Mick. Strange / inconvenient time for overdubs .. innit?

Per The Times interview with Don Was published last week, Keith was recording overdubs in NYC earlier this month.

[iorr.org]

Yes I saw this article here when it was published. I was aware of the overdubs (this is what I was talking about). My comment was / is meant 'literally'. It is a very inconvenient time. They don't do overdubs for an album a month before a tour .. (especially for an album that isn't going to be released during the tour). This has never been the process for The Rolling Stones in their history. Never happened before in their 50 plus years. Why at 75/76 years old? Something pushed / influenced them is my strong feeling. I think it was UMG. And once again .. in Jagger's words .. "can't blame em'.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-25 06:08 by IanBillen.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 25, 2019 06:24

IanBillen

Yes I saw this article here when it was published. I was aware of the overdubs (this is what I was talking about). My comment was / is meant 'literally'. It is a very inconvenient time. They don't do overdubs for an album a month before a tour .. (especially for an album that isn't going to be released during the tour). This has never been the process for The Rolling Stones in their history. Never happened before in their 50 plus years. Why at 75/76 years old? Something pushed / influenced them is my strong feeling. I think it was UMG. And once again .. in Jagger's words .. "can't blame em'.

Seems more likely that the push came as a result of Mick's health issue than outside pressure to me. As you say, it's "never happened before".. "75/76 years old" etc. If UMG applied the pressure, why now.. why not prior to original tour start date or before? I think the pressure comes from The Glimmers.

Date: May 25, 2019 06:41

Yeah can't imagine UMG saying to Mick -"now that you've suffered a heart problem, had surgery, and have successfully recovered, you better get back to work right this minute".
As shrewd and anxious as they may be for a new Stones album, doubt UMG would put on that type of pressure.

Mick on the other hand might have seen the light and had an awakening, and wants to finally complete what was started years ago.

Date: May 25, 2019 08:57

MisterDDDD
IanBillen

Seems more likely that the push came as a result of Mick's health issue than outside pressure to me. As you say, it's "never happened before".. "75/76 years old" etc. If UMG applied the pressure, why now.. why not prior to original tour start date or before? I think the pressure comes from The Glimmers.

Perhaps Micks heart surgery concerned folks there in the higher ups is what I was thinking. I know it brought up mortality in their eyes .. though he was never in any danger for his life and he is now fine and fit as well before hand.

Date: May 25, 2019 09:14

Ian Billen
They don't do overdubs for an album a month before a tour .. (especially for an album that isn't going to be released during the tour). This has never been the process for The Rolling Stones in their history. Never happened before in their 50 plus years. Why at 75/76 years old?

Something else to consider Ian regarding why they might be doing overdubs now; due to the postponement they had an extra couple of months while Mick recovered.
Now that Mick has fully recovered, it resulted in some some extra time on their hands, so why not make the most of it and get some work done in the studio!
And it's not like they're all hunkered down in a studio for days on end - Keith and Ronnie (separately) may have spent a day or two at most doing some overdubs.
As for Mick? Don't think it's been mentioned anywhere that he's been in a studio. His latest tweet stated "working on new music", but looks like that was done at his home.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-25 09:16 by Hairball.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 25, 2019 16:11

Perhaps it's only the Stones themselves that, on the surface, refuse to accept the fact that they are a nostalgia act and have been for a long time, yet do nothing to change how they operate regarding their discography.

It's slightly interesting that as the record industry changed they've released less and less albums when other artists of their era (Dylan, Young, McCartney) are still releasing LPs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-25 16:15 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 25, 2019 17:06

I think their creative power is long gone. They have had a hard times to assemble SW, VL BTB ABB. So many fillers! They are good for an occasional flash like Doom And Gloom but do not have enough creativity to put out an album that´s better than three or four great songs surrounded by lots of fillers. Plus, Keith & Mick obviously can´t agree about the musical direction. Keith does not want to be a sideman on a project that is basically a Jagger-thing, on the other hand he probably has no ideas of his own to offer. The changing of the music industry (less sales, less money) leads the Stones to a point where they lost interest. "We have no songs, we disagree about the musical direction, it would be hard work for not much money, so why bother? Let´s tour, that is where the money lies."
McCartney, Young and others like Van Morrison do not care about lesser sales they still have ideas and visions and want to put them on record, no matter how much it might sale. They are still creative artists. The Stones are rather business-men nowadays, they are calculating that the difficulties of putting an album together are higher than any expected profit. At their age and being on creative low level for many years now, I can´t blame them...cool smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 25, 2019 17:39

Very true HMS.
Jeroen

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 25, 2019 17:50

HMS
I think their creative power is long gone. They have had a hard times to assemble SW, VL BTB ABB. So many fillers! They are good for an occasional flash like Doom And Gloom but do not have enough creativity to put out an album that´s better than three or four great songs surrounded by lots of fillers. Plus, Keith & Mick obviously can´t agree about the musical direction. Keith does not want to be a sideman on a project that is basically a Jagger-thing, on the other hand he probably has no ideas of his own to offer. )

Are you really saying that those other guys you mention are more creative? I don't buy it...getting them to work together has been probably the issue...although they claim this time they are...so who knows?

Date: May 25, 2019 18:09

Van Morrison must have released four or five new albums in the last three years... same for Neil Young... The older of age the more albums they produce (very good albums I´d like to say and they still go on tour). Look at the Stone´s creative output since 2000. Getting them together might be one problem (Mick & Keith can´t get along with each other, that´s just a fact), but the main thing imo is the creativity lost. This loss of creativity and not sharing a musical vision anymore is evident ever since they released Steel Wheels. Later on they learned that it is not even necessary to have a new album out to go on tour, probably to their own surprise they realised that they can sell out stadiums without having any new songs. Since their creative wells ran dry a long time ago it would have been foolish to struggle with the production of new albums, when they can make a million each playing one single concert.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: May 25, 2019 18:25

Not for nothing three solo artists were mentioned in this discussion on creativity. Perhaps one essential difference between the Stones and them is that a band has to agree on things, but also, I was thinking, the Stones, partly because they are a band, are to some degree expected to live up to some kind of concept as it were: that, of the mega stars ("the greatest rock n roll band in the world") that always sell well, high on the charts, popular and what have you not. Now, if the internal cohesion is gone, and the band is no longer 'big' (at least recordsaleswise), somehow I can understand that none of the members believe in prolonging the 'legend' that is the Stones, other than by touring and playing in big stadiums and arenas.
Just my tentative thoughts, what do you think?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 25, 2019 18:57

If the Stones creative output were a Gaussian bell curve the start of the curve would be around 1965 with a top around 1972 and a flattening out around 1981.
Their output since then has been more or less irrelevant. Which, of course, is clearly evident if you study their latter day setlists.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-25 19:02 by Stoneage.

Date: May 25, 2019 21:30

SomeGuy
Not for nothing three solo artists were mentioned in this discussion on creativity. Perhaps one essential difference between the Stones and them is that a band has to agree on things, but also, I was thinking, the Stones, partly because they are a band, are to some degree expected to live up to some kind of concept as it were: that, of the mega stars ("the greatest rock n roll band in the world") that always sell well, high on the charts, popular and what have you not. Now, if the internal cohesion is gone, and the band is no longer 'big' (at least recordsaleswise), somehow I can understand that none of the members believe in prolonging the 'legend' that is the Stones, other than by touring and playing in big stadiums and arenas.

This scenario seems very plausible.
If they release something new they are always not only in competition with other acts but also in competition with themselves... so maybe their goal is simply to keep the flame alive by touring as long as they are able. Playing classics only at least promotes their back-catalogue.

Regarding the creativity debate - imo, if they were still creative and full of (good/great) songs and ideas but just couldn´t agree about the musical direction, they would realise more solo-projects than they do. Mick´s last "full grown" solo-album was released in 2001. Keith´s last product imo very well reflects the situation with SW VL BTB ABB: Couple of great ones plus lots of fillers/lots of mediocre stuff, it just doesn´t live up to their legend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-25 21:41 by HMS.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: May 25, 2019 23:14

Well HMS I agree with The Stones part,but to say Young.Van morrison and Mcartney comes up with good albums i have to disagree about that.
HMS
Van Morrison must have released four or five new albums in the last three years... same for Neil Young... The older of age the more albums they produce (very good albums I´d like to say and they still go on tour). Look at the Stone´s creative output since 2000. Getting them together might be one problem (Mick & Keith can´t get along with each other, that´s just a fact), but the main thing imo is the creativity lost. This loss of creativity and not sharing a musical vision anymore is evident ever since they released Steel Wheels. Later on they learned that it is not even necessary to have a new album out to go on tour, probably to their own surprise they realised that they can sell out stadiums without having any new songs. Since their creative wells ran dry a long time ago it would have been foolish to struggle with the production of new albums, when they can make a million each playing one single concert.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 26, 2019 00:02

SomeGuy

Agreed.
Also, the musial differences between Mick and Keith, which first emerged after Exile, are pretty wide today. Keith would rather bring CH-type American music to the band, while Mick wants to be more 'experimental.'
And just a theory, but this time I believe Keith is blocking the projects. Keith has been a Rolling Stones employee for many years and saying no is his only way to assert himself. Otherwise we'd have a Mick-style album with some Keith riffings on the edges.

Date: May 26, 2019 05:34

Hairball
Ian Billen
They don't do overdubs for an album a month before a tour .. (especially for an album that isn't going to be released during the tour). This has never been the process for The Rolling Stones in their history. Never happened before in their 50 plus years. Why at 75/76 years old?

Something else to consider Ian regarding why they might be doing overdubs now; due to the postponement they had an extra couple of months while Mick recovered.
Now that Mick has fully recovered, it resulted in some some extra time on their hands, so why not make the most of it and get some work done in the studio!
And it's not like they're all hunkered down in a studio for days on end - Keith and Ronnie (separately) may have spent a day or two at most doing some overdubs.
As for Mick? Don't think it's been mentioned anywhere that he's been in a studio. His latest tweet stated "working on new music", but looks like that was done at his home.

The Stones have had all the time in the world over the last four .. or 14 years Mr. Hairball. Why get concerned about time now ...right before a tour?? Besides there would be plenty of time after the tour .. Why jump on it just before their next venture? Sure as heck isn't (and never was in their eyes) a case of ... 'well let's get to that album ..Time is of the essence boys'.

The Stones were acting like they had absolutely no rush as was stated here 5,000
times on this thing. In fact.. they never focused onit or consistently worked on it. Suddenly they want to make up for lost time? Sorry Mr. Hairball .. I can't
buy it. Something persuaded them ..and I don't think it was Micks Surgery. If anything that would push one away from said album .. and with more focus and
consideration to things non-work related such as ... dare I say .. 'family time'.

So the only thing that makes sense is that Universal simply said .. we want a
date that we at least know it will be done .. or perhaps one was already set in the contract. Remember .. Universal was sort of fed up three years ago with no release... which is partly why they chose Blue & Lonesome as it's own product.
Since then they tacked on an album contract for this record. I don't think they are as patient as everyone thinks .. (nor should they be .. after all tis a business and lets face it .. The Stones been dragging this thing out for going on four years already lol.

Either way .. here is to hoping they truly do it up the right way.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-26 05:39 by IanBillen.

Date: May 26, 2019 06:25

Seems you missed the point Ian which is quite simple.
With an extra month they had some extra time to work in the studio.
With Mick's full recovery and all worries aside from band members, family, etc., they figured might as well put in a couple of days in the studio.
As stated earlier, it's extremely doubtful that UMG would put heavy pressure on them so soon after Mick's recovery and knowing they're about to go on tour.
I think you're relying too much on a quote from an unknown spokesperson that came from an article in the Daily Mail that is nowhere to be found.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 26, 2019 09:27

The Stones are exclusively a live musical act now,after 14 years without an albums worth of original material I think it’s best to accept that.
What is it you guys are really hoping for? 10 or 15 songs you’ve never heard before? ok, great.
But since the band only exists on a concert stage at this point you actually think even a casual fan couldn’t go through the back catalogue and pick 10 or 15 songs they haven’t played live yet that would absolutely destroy everything on the new album?
It’s a waste of time,The Rolling Stones story as a recording act has been written
and there are enough great songs to build 10 successful careers.
The LIVE legacy is still ongoing and that’s where the greatness still lives,let’s just enjoy that while we still can.

Date: May 26, 2019 10:55

Hairball
Seems you missed the point Ian which is quite simple.
With an extra month they had some extra time to work in the studio.
With Mick's full recovery and all worries aside from band members, family, etc., they figured might as well put in a couple of days in the studio.
As stated earlier, it's extremely doubtful that UMG would put heavy pressure on them so soon after Mick's recovery and knowing they're about to go on tour.
I think you're relying too much on a quote from an unknown spokesperson that came from an article in the Daily Mail that is nowhere to be found.

It was Charlie's wife, Shirley who pushed The Stones back to the studio. They are working on creating the songs in the Watt's basement with two of Charlie's horses.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: May 26, 2019 12:38

So hard to get back into this bloated thread after a few weeks. Are there any substantial news?

Date: May 26, 2019 12:44

Lorenz
So hard to get back into this bloated thread after a few weeks. Are there any substantial news?

Keith and Ronnie have been working, in NYC and London.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: May 26, 2019 14:43

DandelionPowderman
Lorenz

Keith and Ronnie have been working, in NYC and London.

Cool, thanks! Glad to see you are posting, somehow thought you left!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...334335336337338339340341342343344...LastNext
Current Page: 339 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1574
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home