Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...274275276277278279280281282283284...LastNext
Current Page: 279 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: February 1, 2019 06:08

Would it satisfy you?
Would it slide on by you?
Would it help to ease the pain?

I like it....

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 1, 2019 06:40

tumblingdice
Would it satisfy you?
Would it slide on by you?
Would it help to ease the pain?

I like it....

...but it's not rock'n'roll.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: February 1, 2019 09:06

retired_dog

You must be sitting in front of a mirror and talking to yourself because that's what you do most of the time, judging the lead singer of a famous band who you don't know personally, and no, I don't confuse it with "criticism" here, that's something entirely different. So if you want, go ahead, talk about your issues because writing about yourself in the third person like at the start of your post is already beginning to sound serious.

I didn’t add his post to this because well,why? I’ll just go straight to the highlights “nobody knows who Keithsman is,it would blow your mind if you knew”
The early line is 2 to 1 on Mark David Chapman ,John Hinkley jr at 9 to 5 and Squeaky Fromme at 3 to 1.
And “some of us connect to Keith as a spirit” could you name the rest of your group,I’m not gonna contact the authorities or anything,I’m just “wondering”.
The whole other post about how people warm to Keith but not as much to Mick and he knows this because of the comments section on you tube.wow,and the sad part is it’s not even close to reality.

We all like Keith,all fans of the band admire him a great deal but to the general public Jagger is the face of the Stones.Im not saying this because I’m more of a fan of one or the other,I just like the band as a whole.but there are facts involved-
Micks Instagram and Twitter accounts each have 1 million more followers than Keith’s and through their biggest touring years(the 90s and 2000s)nearly one quarter of the audience went to the bathroom or got a beer during Keith’s set.i saw it with my own eyes at many,many shows and so did everyone on this site.
Yet he soldiers on post after post to convince the masses one fan at a time.

I was just joking about you being a nut Keithsman,I’m sure you’re ok but bro,going on a fan site and pushing this bizarre agenda is a bit unsettling.
Give it a rest,trust me Mr Richards is fine without your unsolicited PR campaign.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: February 1, 2019 11:21

What i mean when i say it would surprise you ( blow your mind a little too dramatic lol ) if you knew who i am means i am not who you think i am, who i am has nothing to do with the Stones or any of this, i just don't identify myself with who some of you think Keithsman is, i mean it's concerning when i read reactions to some of my posts, because i just say it how it is about the band, that's it, just put it out there as i see it, and post accordingly, i have no idea why that should be a problem.
OK Lem you think lots of people all over the world go for a pee break while Keith sings because that's what you saw, well that's great, that's the way you see it, i don't have a problem with that, you see Mick as greater or whatever because he has more instagram and twatter followers, whatever, that's the way you want to see it, good for you, do you see me complain.
Its like some posters are confusing me with something they see, it's not who i am, i don't hate anyone.
The problem people like you have with my posts is that you don't agree with them, so to you i must be crazy or dangerous to have a different opinion of the band than you lol. Look at yourself mate, you sound like the one with an agenda.
Maybe you guys hate Keith ? i don't know and i really don't care.

Re: Mick recording??
Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 1, 2019 11:27

retired_dog
About childish debates - there's obviously people who are stuck in their teenage years and take their own and fabricated popstar public images for reality and besides the music need some extra drama to keep themselves interested.

Anyone still thinking the Rolling Stones are a real, artistically alive, band and anyone that - unavoidable - has some ideas about the various different characters that make up the mythical bigger-than-live thing "Rolling Stones" is guilty of that. And that includes you and me.
For the past 30 years, their solo efforts have been more, let's say, unpredictable, and more or less "Stones-y", for better or worse, than their Stones efforts. It's inevitable that as a Stones fan, some have different preferences (Mick, Keith, Ron, Charlie, Bill) than others.
Let things be. Mick can defend himself very well, and so can Keith.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 1, 2019 11:30

Lorenz
At least this one's got a groove... a few levels above England's Lost and that other one, but I'd rather have Mick keep it for a solo album, to be honest.

A solo album from Mick ? I shudder to think what that would do to the release date of the "new Stones album" ! On the other hand if Keith keeps dragging his feet and pretending he's got "3 dynamite riffs" (really ? When does the last one date back to ?) Mick might just slap something together.

That new is pretty pleasant indeed, it reminds me of an old ER outtake, "Never Too Into" ? Yeah that's it [www.youtube.com] - oh and possibly "Do You Get Enough"/"Lucky In Love" [www.youtube.com]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-01 11:33 by gotdablouse.

Date: February 1, 2019 11:47

I just listened to Mick's instagram clip of funky music. It's not bad, it's not particularly great either, it's pretty much what you can expect: a decent piece of pop-music. I can see how people can look forward to an album with that kind of music, and play it for a year or two.

I have lost contact ages ago with "what's going on new in popular music". It certainly isn't the Stones (nor their solo-efforts for that matter, although I wish Keith would have gone on and will go on making solo-albums because I think his evolution in developing "different" soul/bluesy/rocknroll songs is fun and interesting) but I am not sure it's anything else either, especially in guitar-based, blues-based groovy rock music which barely exists outside the Stones.

My guess is the "new", "fresh", "exciting" stuff is probably in electronic music, hip-hop or what is called nowadays "R & B". Neither of which attracts me much, although I was sort of pleasantly curious when I heard something by Beyoncé a few weeks ago. There are some other female rappers who are kinda interesting but I am sure listening to them for too long would bore the daylight out of me. (nudge, nudge.) The last time I heard something really "wow, good stuff" was Leonard Cohen with "You Want It Darker". Hardly the stuff music-charts are made of though.

In reality, I think popular music nowawadays don't mean as much as it did in the 50s, 60s, 70s and even the awful 80s.

Date: February 1, 2019 12:01

<especially in guitar-based, blues-based groovy rock music which barely exists outside the Stones>

Oh, it exists – and it flourishes – only in a different way.

I was shocked, while touring Europe some years ago with my band, seeing young people going to rock and metal shows.

Add the numerous huge rock and metal festivals in Europe, and you'll find that rock'n'roll isn't dead.

However, the charts and how we buy and listen to music have changed. And the kids today might listen to both Sia and Greta Van Fleet on their pre-programmed playlists on Spotify.

Date: February 1, 2019 13:05

DandelionPowderman

I was shocked, while touring Europe some years ago with my band, seeing young people going to rock and metal shows.

Add the numerous huge rock and metal festivals in Europe, and you'll find that rock'n'roll isn't dead.

However, the charts and how we buy and listen to music have changed. And the kids today might listen to both Sia and Greta Van Fleet on their pre-programmed playlists on Spotify.

My problem with rock nowadays and, even more so, metal, is that I can't really hear the blues element in it, and to my ears it's not really groovy either. But I am willing to admit that I might not be open-minded enough.

Date: February 1, 2019 13:17

matxil
DandelionPowderman

My problem with rock nowadays and, even more so, metal, is that I can't really hear the blues element in it, and to my ears it's not really groovy either. But I am willing to admit that I might not be open-minded enough.

There's something for everyone out there. But we won't necessarily find it in the charts or in stadiums smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 1, 2019 16:05

DandelionPowderman

There's something for everyone out there. But we won't necessarily find it in the charts or in stadiums smiling smiley

For rock music it has happened, like Jagger said a couple of years ago, what happened to jazz music earlier, many, many decades ago. It has a certain following, some circles of strong devotees who are able to draw even big festivals occasionally together, a lot of eclectisism, but it does not have any longer main stream status or is a driving force in culture. One way is to say that it is not any longer 'popular music' in the rigor sense of the word. But it is far from death.

But when we big rock generations, with our big wallets and memories of the great past when rock still 'mattered', are gone, youngest of us being in our forties or fifties, that might have some effect to rock's place in culture. The rock kids of today and future need to cope with then on their own... But we will be not there to see how they manage... Most likely rock music won't disappear, but probably it will be more even jazz-like speciality.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-01 16:07 by Doxa.

Date: February 1, 2019 16:12

<but it does not have any longer main stream status or is a driving force in culture>

True, but what kind of music is the driving force in today's culture at all? It seems only the most commercial side of culture is what's left in music.

Or maybe I'm just getting old...

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 1, 2019 16:17

"Getting old?" Bard, I sometimes think what Mick and Keith were up to at our age and then think how old I thought they were at the time. We're old, they're ancient.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-01 16:18 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 1, 2019 16:22

Work up some of the "in the can" stuff ala Tattoo You

Posted by: CamRS ()
Date: February 1, 2019 16:23

In some ways, the song sounds like it could have been inspired by Leon Bridges’ If It Feels Good (Then It Must Be).

That would make sense to me considering he’s opened for the Stones and they seem to think highly of him - I recall an interview from a year or two ago where even Charlie mentioned Leon Bridges as an opening act that stood out to him.

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 1, 2019 16:24

Just relrase all the outtakes.
Jeroen

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: February 1, 2019 16:30

I completely agree with you Doxa on that. It has also been written about and covered in the epress, I rembeber I posted a link here in some thread I forgot about

Anyway, also I believe there's a confusion about Mick's efforts in being up to date and what is ACTUALLY up to date. I am afraid the confusion is in Mick himself and in the people arounf him, if he has any to confront with about music.

What I hear in the Instagram clip is not something "up to date" at all, it is a poppy funk hook (true it reminds Love train as someone wrote here some pages ago) that sure is funny for mick to sing play and shake about but it is as old as you can get, old and without edge without something truly interesting, strange, in a word NEW.

So,if I am not going to have anything new, I do prefer Keith's attitude to stick with the old music, old sound, old riffs, old hooks, old atmosphere. That is: accepting of being old man.

Of course I am going to give it a try, and will be glad to change my mind and feelings.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 1, 2019 16:31

DandelionPowderman

True, but what kind of music is the driving force in today's culture at all? It seems only the most commercial side of culture is what's left in music.

Or maybe I'm just getting old...

God help us if Hip Hop and Grime were to become the driving force for a whole culture confused smiley

Music of any kind just isn't the same dominant cultural influence that it once was.
Youth culture in particular revolves much more around Social Media these days.

Yes, they're many of them still into music... but their musical tastes don't define them in the way we perceived ours to back in the day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-01 16:32 by Spud.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 1, 2019 17:00

treaclefingers
Rocky Dijon
Well, what about "Love is Strong?" That's a single that has Keith written all over it. So did "You Got Me Rocking." The album sold well, but the singles did nothing. These sound like vintage Stones. It's what Keith fans should want and what general Stones fans should welcome and yet they didn't. The same as Keith's solo albums. "Happy" was a hit single, why not "Take It So Hard," "Make No Mistake, "Wicked As It Seems," "Eileen," or "Trouble?"

Possibly, it's that they were seen as old and music from old men rarely reaches young people. You need the youth market to have major hit singles. Why? Because an aging fan base just buys the album or doesn't bother. My brother-in-law is a huge Stones fan. He owns everything through TATTOO YOU. He saw them live in 1972, 1975, 1978, and 1981. Why didn't he keep going? Why do I think their last peak was in 1997? Likely because after that I was married with a family to raise.

It isn't the same once you "mortgage up your life." I'm still a huge fan, obviously, but the memories you built were the songs that were new through those crucial developing years of your life plus the back catalog. Everything since is what I carve out time for, but I don't live and breathe it like I once did. So why didn't that continue you for younger audiences? For the same reason why I was one of very few in my teen years who loved them instead of Metallica or Guns 'n' Roses. I was already on the young side to be listening to the music I was. I knew no one else my age who played the crap out of DIRTY WORK, PRIMITIVE COOL, and TALK IS CHEAP when they were new. STEEL WHEELS and the tour brought more fans, but that was the last gasp to reach the youth market.

Since then they were old men still at it and the market continued to shrink for them. The people buying overpriced concert tickets didn't want to hear new material any more than they cared for their solo albums. Mick's efforts to do what he's always done and keep up with the times didn't work. Keith's efforts to "grow the music up" and keep his musical integrity intact didn't work.

Doesn't mean they made bad music. It does mean only diehards like us turned out to buy it and even then, a large percentage of us still carp about what we bought.

Nice summation...and in other words they've done exactly what every other set of top tier aging musicians has done into their twilight years. No worse and probably even better than most. Some times I think we have too much time on our hands analyzing every minute machination of the band.

Other times, I know we have too much time on our hands.

I've found a much simpler way to deal with what they give us - make a playlist of the album when it comes out, don't include the crap songs. Make another one after everything has settled with any extra tracks that are worthy, and leave it at that.

No matter the relevance to the time marking, I'll never listen to Gunface or MAWGJ or Sparks Will Fly or Streets Of Love or anything else that sucks on VOODOO, BRIDGES and BANG.

I find it hilarious that BLUE AND LONESOME is the first Stones album since 1983 that I can and do listen to all the way through still.

Date: February 1, 2019 17:04

DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

Admittedly, I like that link. Cheers!

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: February 1, 2019 17:54

Jagger's Instagram clip nothing exciting for me its the same funky rhythm he always defaults to similar to Rain Fall Down his two chord back and forth strumming. However Keith and Ron could improve with their guitar parts.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 1, 2019 18:22

Testify
retired_dog
keithsman

See this is where i have trouble with attitudes on iorr as apposed to say people commenting on youtube for example.
You are right about Miss You, most fans love it and i can't argue with that.
Most fans love Keith and see the Stones most favorable sounds as his sound, and the comments about Keith on youtube etc are very warm towards him and shall i say a lot less complimentary about Mick.
Its very easy to get drawn into the opinions people have on iorr concerning Mick and Keith and be persuaded into thinking that is how most fans think, when in fact the posts and attitudes towards the Stones on iorr are quit unique.

I'm not saying Stones fans in general consider Mick to be any less a Stone than Keith but they don't warm to him as a human being in the same way, they seem to love Keith for the music and his image, an image that many on here loathe.
I have a good idea of what most fans expect and desire from the Stones musically, you only have to look at the Hits releases and the songs they play live to see that.
Sorry for my dithering and babbling here, i'm finding it hard to explain my thoughts in the short time available. lol.
Basically Hot Stuff and Dance are not seen as the best songs on those particular albums and certainly they were not the best singles ever released by the Stones. Most people view them as forgettable singles or regrettable in contrast to their greatest work. Ok off to work.

Thanks for your open words. Look, the thing is that I have no problem with someone having his or her "favourite Stone" or in your case that you obviously love Keith a lot more than Mick (obviously based on their public images, that is). No, what I object to is your bias against Mick (some would even say "hate", but I hate the current overuse of this term) - leading to a neverending stream of posts hailing Keith for everything that's good about the Stones and blaming Mick for everything that -supposedly or actually- went wrong with the band. That's what I call an "agenda". And that's what I strongly object to.
thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 1, 2019 21:06

MisterDDDD
Testify
retired_dog
keithsman

See this is where i have trouble with attitudes on iorr as apposed to say people commenting on youtube for example.
You are right about Miss You, most fans love it and i can't argue with that.
Most fans love Keith and see the Stones most favorable sounds as his sound, and the comments about Keith on youtube etc are very warm towards him and shall i say a lot less complimentary about Mick.
Its very easy to get drawn into the opinions people have on iorr concerning Mick and Keith and be persuaded into thinking that is how most fans think, when in fact the posts and attitudes towards the Stones on iorr are quit unique.

I'm not saying Stones fans in general consider Mick to be any less a Stone than Keith but they don't warm to him as a human being in the same way, they seem to love Keith for the music and his image, an image that many on here loathe.
I have a good idea of what most fans expect and desire from the Stones musically, you only have to look at the Hits releases and the songs they play live to see that.
Sorry for my dithering and babbling here, i'm finding it hard to explain my thoughts in the short time available. lol.
Basically Hot Stuff and Dance are not seen as the best songs on those particular albums and certainly they were not the best singles ever released by the Stones. Most people view them as forgettable singles or regrettable in contrast to their greatest work. Ok off to work.

Thanks for your open words. Look, the thing is that I have no problem with someone having his or her "favourite Stone" or in your case that you obviously love Keith a lot more than Mick (obviously based on their public images, that is). No, what I object to is your bias against Mick (some would even say "hate", but I hate the current overuse of this term) - leading to a neverending stream of posts hailing Keith for everything that's good about the Stones and blaming Mick for everything that -supposedly or actually- went wrong with the band. That's what I call an "agenda". And that's what I strongly object to.

smileys with beer
Jeroen

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 1, 2019 21:11

Ooohh...here comes the gang mentality...hit him again when he's already down...

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 1, 2019 21:27

Hairball

It's good to see that at least someone is with those fallen from the grace of god.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: February 1, 2019 22:53

Now is time for the three killer riffs

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: February 2, 2019 00:24

Hairball

I'm not down at all Hairball, life is good, but thanks anyway.
I have a feeling that there is a Mick agenda on here , and when you combine that with the religious freaks it just takes all the fun away. I mean they don't just hate Keith, they hate people who love him.
So i do what i do when any conversation gets turned into religion or politics, i leave.

I mean retired dogs response to you "It's good to see that at least someone is with those fallen from the grace of god."
Says it all , they really believe that a man they don't know (me) has fallen from the grace of God. I'd better leave and leave for good this time, there is just no balance here anymore, its a witch hunt.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 2, 2019 00:49

keithsman
Hairball

I'm not down at all Hairball, life is good, but thanks anyway.
I have a feeling that there is a Mick agenda on here , and when you combine that with the religious freaks it just takes all the fun away. I mean they don't just hate Keith, they hate people who love him.
So i do what i do when any conversation gets turned into religion or politics, i leave.

I mean retired dogs response to you "It's good to see that at least someone is with those fallen from the grace of god."
Says it all , they really believe that a man they don't know (me) has fallen from the grace of God. I'd better leave and leave for good this time, there is just no balance here anymore, its a witch hunt.

A couple agreeing with a post is suddenly "a gang" according to the hall monitor and chief instigator of arguments.
Lofl.

Happens in every thread, and kinda why people post spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

And Good lawd, keithsman... stop taking this bs so personally.
There's no gangs, no witchhunts.. just differences of opinions and people expressing them. Lighten up on the near constant criticism and negative hypotheticals and watch the strong responses go away.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 2, 2019 01:58

A break to cool down is always healthy, but do come back, Keithsman. You're entitled to voice your opinon as much as anyone else. You just have to accept people will not be shy if they disagree.

As for retired dog, if he were truly religious, he would have capitalized "god." And it does not follow logically to conclude Stones fan believing in God will not like Keith or people who prefer Keith or simply won't tolerate other opinions. Not everyone is a small-minded bigot and plenty of atheists are intolerant. The world is a big place and people rarely fit sweeping generalities.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 01:59 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: February 2, 2019 03:43

if history is anything to predict, we gotta send a lotta love and I mean the sweet sweet love to get the sweet sweet songs that we got in 2002-2004 and I should know. so, dream it squeeze it send the love vibes and you will receive...
my heart is spent... trust me, they feel it.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...274275276277278279280281282283284...LastNext
Current Page: 279 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1631
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home