Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...272273274275276277278279280281282...LastNext
Current Page: 277 of 704
Re: Mick recording??
Date: January 31, 2019 14:40

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
KRiffhard
I hope this stuff it's not for the Stones!

Why not? Ronnie is playing his ass off here smiling smiley

The rhythm guitar with that typical 8-tees EMG-pickup sound ?

If you insist on calling single string-licks rhythm guitar, yes smiling smiley (and it does indeed sound like a classic late 70s/early 80s-sound. Later in the 80s a sound like that would often be drenched in chorus or flanger)

The chords sound like Mick, though (both right and left channel).

I'm referring to the chords yes.That's Jagger? I cannot believe it.

Why? He probably wrote and demoed this. Not to mention we see him play the chords smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-31 14:41 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: January 31, 2019 14:49

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
KRiffhard

If you insist on calling single string-licks rhythm guitar, yes smiling smiley (and it does indeed sound like a classic late 70s/early 80s-sound. Later in the 80s a sound like that would often be drenched in chorus or flanger)

Why? He probably wrote and demoed this. Not to mention we see him play the chords smiling smiley

Damn, you answer too fast, I had to edit my previous post.smoking smiley

If that's Jagger he reminds me of Nile Rodgers, or Charles Icarus Johnson. Very good. Nothing wrong with Wood's single note counter play either. They have seen the light? I like this kind of music.

Date: January 31, 2019 15:03

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
KRiffhard

If that's Jagger he reminds me of Nile Rodgers, or Charles Icarus Johnson. Very good. Nothing wrong with Wood's single note counter play either. They have seen the light? I like this kind of music.

Mick was a big Chic-fan. Nile is/was also a friend, and if memory serves he also played on She's The Boss smiling smiley

EDIT: Yep, I checked. Nile plays on "1/2 a Loaf" and "Secrets", He co-produced those two songs as well as "Turn the Girl Loose".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-31 15:07 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 31, 2019 15:09

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
KRiffhard

I was correct I heard Ronnie? And hold the phone, compliments on Jagger’s guitar playing? Hee hee hee.

Date: January 31, 2019 15:12

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
KRiffhard

Mick was a big Chic-fan. Nile is/was also a friend, and if memory serves he also played on She's The Boss smiling smiley

EDIT: Yep, I checked. Nile plays on "1/2 a Loaf" and "Secrets", He co-produced those two songs as well as "Turn the Girl Loose".

Charles "Icarus" Johnson played with Al Jarreau and Stanley Clarke. I saw them in the 8-tees. Check him out. smiling smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 31, 2019 15:16

Hints have been that the new album will be quite eclectic in content...with some surprises.

We should rejoice in that.

Perhaps the most important factor in this band's greatness has been the fact that have uniquely managed to create credible and authentic sounding music in just about every popular music genre of the last 100 years !

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: January 31, 2019 15:31

I see Micks hand strumming and it doesn't sound like that is the only sound making the guitar sound i'm hearing, he's not really doing anything to shout about even if it is him making that sound, i mean does that impress you guys, it's what anyone can do with an hours tutoring, its virtually nothing on the fretting hand.
It's like "look ! look everybody, he's actually playing the guitar" !!
Of course he can play the bloody thing and it's taken three years to give us something, WHOOPEE.
I want to see Keith playing the guitar and Mick singing, now that might be something to get excited about.

Date: January 31, 2019 15:34

keithsman
I see Micks hand strumming and it doesn't sound like that is the only sound making the guitar sound i'm hearing, he's not really doing anything to shout about even if it is him making that sound, i mean does that impress you guys, it's what anyone can do with an hours tutoring, its virtually nothing on the fretting hand.
Of course he can play the bloody thing and it's taken three years to give us something, WHOOPEE.
I want to see Keith playing the guitar and Mick singing, now that might be something to get excited about.

There are two rhythm guitars (+ Ronnie's track). One of them is quite rudimentary (just following the beat) and the other one a bit more advanced and nuanced. Might be that the first one is Mick.

Date: January 31, 2019 15:35

keithsman

I'm afraid I'm on the wrong Fan Board by now. cool smiley

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: January 31, 2019 15:39

Don`t think anything like Blue & Lonesome. Think "Miss You", "Dance", that kind of stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-31 16:00 by noughties.

Date: January 31, 2019 15:39

DandelionPowderman
keithsman

There are two rhythm guitars (+ Ronnie's track). One of them is quite rudimentary (just following the beat) and the other one a bit more advanced and nuanced. Might be that the first one is Mick.

Yes the other one playing the more complicated part is undoubtedly Ronnie.
I just don't understand why people are banging on about Micks guitar part, or Ronnie's for that matter, it's nothing. Each to their own i guess winking smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 31, 2019 15:43

Some folks think that good guitar playing has to be difficult.

If anything, the reverse is more often true .

Date: January 31, 2019 15:46

noughties
Don`t think anything like Black And Blue. Think "Miss You", "Dance", that kind of hot stuff.

Date: January 31, 2019 15:51

DandelionPowderman
noughties
Don`t think anything like Black And Blue. Think "Miss You", "Dance", that kind of hot stuff.

Yes the more lame sounds that came from those albums, filler, best suited to a Ronnie album grinning smiley

Date: January 31, 2019 15:54

keithsman
DandelionPowderman
noughties

Yes the more lame sounds that came from those albums, filler, best suited to a Ronnie album grinning smiley

Those songs were rather singles, not filler, though winking smiley

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: January 31, 2019 16:15

It could work...this is just a chorus of a up tempo Mick influenced tune but could be greatly improved with more Keith and Charlie and strong verses and a bridge

Date: January 31, 2019 16:35

DandelionPowderman
keithsman
DandelionPowderman
noughties

Well the stand out first single was Fool To Cry, Hot Stuff didn't even chart in the top 40, in the US it reached about 50.

Dance is rated about 80th best Stones song, "filler" lol.

Miss You ? i'm not even going there eye rolling smiley

I've always felt the best Stones material was never released as singles, those tracks i think of as filler, Mick obviously saw them as singles and most of them charted terribly, i'm sure Memory Motel would have charted better , as would Hand Of fate or Crazy Mama

Date: January 31, 2019 16:38

keithsman
DandelionPowderman
keithsman
DandelionPowderman
noughties

Well the stand out first single was Fool To Cry, Hot Stuff didn't even chart in the top 40, in the US it reached about 50.

I've always felt the best Stones material was never released as singles, those tracks i think of as filler, Mick obviously saw them as singles and most of them charted terribly, i'm sure Memory Motel would have charted better , as would Hand Of fate or Crazy Mama

I can relate to that. However, the singles are also meant to move the masses (not just us die-hards), so...

Date: January 31, 2019 17:18

DandelionPowderman
keithsman
DandelionPowderman
keithsman
DandelionPowderman
noughties

I can relate to that. However, the singles are also meant to move the masses (not just us die-hards), so...

See this is where i have trouble with attitudes on iorr as apposed to say people commenting on youtube for example.
You are right about Miss You, most fans love it and i can't argue with that.
Most fans love Keith and see the Stones most favorable sounds as his sound, and the comments about Keith on youtube etc are very warm towards him and shall i say a lot less complimentary about Mick.
Its very easy to get drawn into the opinions people have on iorr concerning Mick and Keith and be persuaded into thinking that is how most fans think, when in fact the posts and attitudes towards the Stones on iorr are quit unique.

I'm not saying Stones fans in general consider Mick to be any less a Stone than Keith but they don't warm to him as a human being in the same way, they seem to love Keith for the music and his image, an image that many on here loathe.
I have a good idea of what most fans expect and desire from the Stones musically, you only have to look at the Hits releases and the songs they play live to see that.
Sorry for my dithering and babbling here, i'm finding it hard to explain my thoughts in the short time available. lol.
Basically Hot Stuff and Dance are not seen as the best songs on those particular albums and certainly they were not the best singles ever released by the Stones. Most people view them as forgettable singles or regrettable in contrast to their greatest work. Ok off to work.

Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Date: January 31, 2019 17:25

Hot Stuff and Dance were both Keith-songs, though, Riffie - but I get what you're saying smileys with beer

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 31, 2019 17:31

...don't think Hot Stuff or Dance are forgettable or regrettable. Certainly not regrettable. With Hot Stuff you're getting into some disco funk very early days, and they do it well.

Dance, well...I just appreciate it. I remember hearing a clip of it on IORR a few years ago, Ronnie in concert with surprise guest Mick I think. Fabulous.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 31, 2019 17:33

DandelionPowderman
keithsman
DandelionPowderman
keithsman
DandelionPowderman
noughties

Always? Sure, Mick always made the wrong decisions for the Stones, that's probably the reason why they survived almost 60 years...go figure. If only Keith always had the final say, they could have been bigger than the Beatles...or even Jesus Christ. Poor Keith...forced to be in the same band with this Jagger guy for so long must be hell!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-31 17:39 by retired_dog.

Date: January 31, 2019 17:36

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
keithsman
DandelionPowderman
keithsman
DandelionPowderman
noughties

Sure, Mick always made the wrong decisions for the Stones, that's probably the reason why they survived almost 60 years...go figure. If only Keith always had the final say, they could have been bigger than the Beatles...or even Jesus Christ. Poor Keith...forced to be in the same band with this Jagger guy for so long must be hell!

You're quoting me to establish that? smiling smiley

Date: January 31, 2019 17:43

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-31 17:44 by retired_dog.

Date: January 31, 2019 17:45

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
keithsman
DandelionPowderman
keithsman
DandelionPowderman
noughties

Sure, Mick always made the wrong decisions for the Stones, that's probably the reason why they survived almost 60 years...go figure. If only Keith always had the final say, they could have been bigger than the Beatles...or even Jesus Christ. Poor Keith...forced to be in the same band with this Jagger guy for so long must be hell!

Read my corrected post above. But you could have said something more objective rather than "I can relate to that" too.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 31, 2019 17:47

Dance and Hot Stuff are some of my favourite songs. This 22 sec ..... is definitely not.
although its not a song some person might add. But its shite anyway.
Jeroen

Date: January 31, 2019 17:51

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
keithsman
DandelionPowderman
keithsman
DandelionPowderman
noughties

Read my corrected post above. But you could have said something more objective rather than "I can relate to that" too.

Indeed! I was just trying to be nice, and I should have specified that I replied to the merits of Fool To Cry and Dance (that was what I could relate to, although I love both of those Keith-tracks) on the charts (the latter wasn't a proper single, btw - only an instrumental radio promo single was released).

Posted by: two4fun111 ()
Date: January 31, 2019 17:51

I heard reggae myself in the Instagram clip.

Date: January 31, 2019 18:25

keithsman

See this is where i have trouble with attitudes on iorr as apposed to say people commenting on youtube for example.
You are right about Miss You, most fans love it and i can't argue with that.
Most fans love Keith and see the Stones most favorable sounds as his sound, and the comments about Keith on youtube etc are very warm towards him and shall i say a lot less complimentary about Mick.
Its very easy to get drawn into the opinions people have on iorr concerning Mick and Keith and be persuaded into thinking that is how most fans think, when in fact the posts and attitudes towards the Stones on iorr are quit unique.

I'm not saying Stones fans in general consider Mick to be any less a Stone than Keith but they don't warm to him as a human being in the same way, they seem to love Keith for the music and his image, an image that many on here loathe.
I have a good idea of what most fans expect and desire from the Stones musically, you only have to look at the Hits releases and the songs they play live to see that.
Sorry for my dithering and babbling here, i'm finding it hard to explain my thoughts in the short time available. lol.
Basically Hot Stuff and Dance are not seen as the best songs on those particular albums and certainly they were not the best singles ever released by the Stones. Most people view them as forgettable singles or regrettable in contrast to their greatest work. Ok off to work.

Thanks for your open words. Look, the thing is that I have no problem with someone having his or her "favourite Stone" or in your case that you obviously love Keith a lot more than Mick (obviously based on their public images, that is). No, what I object to is your bias against Mick (some would even say "hate", but I hate the current overuse of this term) - leading to a neverending stream of posts hailing Keith for everything that's good about the Stones and blaming Mick for everything that -supposedly or actually- went wrong with the band. That's what I call an "agenda". And that's what I strongly object to.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: January 31, 2019 18:41

The Stones have always made records with a contemporary sound, why should this one be any different?

Right, it shouldn’t be.....

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...272273274275276277278279280281282...LastNext
Current Page: 277 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1412
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home