Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...144145146147148149150151152153154...LastNext
Current Page: 149 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 8, 2018 07:00

IanBillen
He also knows what they sound like (at least right now) .. he just didn't / doesn't want to say.

There would be a major bollocking (is that how you say?) from Mick if he did.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 8, 2018 07:05

So now we’re publicly going through Keith’s trash? :-/
Stop raking him over the coals.
I was very close to him Paris 2 2017
I wrote a review the next morning that never got published (okay)
that said ‘Keith knows exactly what he’s doing’
that was my from his Pit impression that night.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: March 8, 2018 09:50

Interesting reading and thoughtful comments here, sorry we are off topic so will not add any more to this conversation other than to say Keith has a way of coming back, i don't think his fingers hurt him so much as get in the way. He has his limitations but is still capable of doing his job well when he feels happy and in the mood. He can obviously do without the cold weather, lets hope for a long hot summer in Britain this year and a sober more focused and consistent Mr Richards. smiling smiley

Date: March 8, 2018 09:53

doitywoik
keithsman
I think the time you might be referring to when he completely forgot how to play was after band introductions and before playing Happy, after wishing Patti Happy Birthday he just had a brain freeze, it was in Mexico on the previous tour in 2016. One explanation could be a side effect from his anti seizure meds, who knows but that was upsetting to watch, i thought he was having a stroke.

No, I was referring to No Filter 2017, Spielberg and a few other shows but Spielberg struck me the most. Unfortunately I can't recall what song it was, there were a number of youtube clips posted here. I didn't know about the "Mexico incident" winking smiley but my feelings were pretty much the same.

keithsman
Not sure what coordination problems you noticed Keith having in 89' 90' can you give examples ?

I just started to notice that sometimes (occasionally) he was slightly off in riffs or arpeggios in a way that didn't occur earlier, and there were more such moments in the Voodoo launch tour, and yet more in each subsequent tour, up to No Filter, when he was off more than just slightly and, one is tempted to say, to an almost alarming extent. In addition then also the various TV appearances, say, from 1988 onwards, where one felt like his playing is gradually deteriorating.

I didn't want to say too much about the second half of 2017's No Filter tour because I had followed the first half of the tour very closely but couldn't follow the tour in the same detail later on (sometimes life gets between you and the Stones ...)

Personally, I would be OK with a level of playing as in the 14 On Fire tour. Asking for anything beyond that would be unfair.

But to say something positive: technically, Ronnie's playing is not what it used to be in the 70s either but on stage he is continuously growing, it seems, playing clever, thoughtful and engaged. You don't have to do the Paganini to make it good music.

On a sidenote, there are also other victims of arthritis. John McLaughlin, one of the most varied musicians of the last 50+ years and technically in a league beyond most other guitarists on the planet, announced in Oct. 2017 that from 2018 on he wouldn't go on extended tours any longer but only do special events because his arthritis developed in a way that he could no longer be sure to be in proper playing condition on every gig of a tour.

Check out shows from 1971 and 1975. It happened back then, too smiling smiley

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 8, 2018 11:50

keithsman

This is the Mexico gig i mentioned where Keith has a brain freeze

[www.youtube.com]

Yes, but you see, this is not really bad. He clearly forgot the intro, looks for it for a while, tries to find it, then let's the band start and acknowledges with a laugh that he almost forgot it and then sort of recovers. This might happen to anyone and as soon as you take it for what it is and apologize, it's no big deal.
It's quite different from going at SFTD every night, for months and years, and instead of doing something straightforward but sounding okay, taking into account the arthritis etc..., try to do something incomprehensible that sounds terrible.
If I have to give some kind of presentation, I might forget some correct technical word or mispronounce something, that's fine. It's something else to give that same presentation every day and in the middle try to tell a joke that falls flat every single time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-08 11:51 by matxil.

Date: March 8, 2018 11:53

matxil
keithsman

[www.youtube.com]

Yes, but you see, this is not really bad. He clearly forgot the intro, looks for it for a while, tries to find it, then let's the band start and acknowledges with a laugh that he almost forgot it and then sort of recovers. This might happen to anyone and as soon as you take it for what it is and apologize, it's no big deal.
It's quite different from going at SFTD every night, for months and years, and instead of doing something straightforward but sounding okay, taking into account the arthritis etc..., try to do something incomprehensible that sounds terrible.
If I have to give some kind of presentation, I might forget some correct technical word or mispronounce something, that's fine. It's something else to give that same presentation every day and in the middle try to tell a joke that falls flat every single time.

Wasn't it Patti's birthday, or something? I think he was touched or moved by something here, and playing wasn't his #1 priority there and then smiling smiley

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 8, 2018 12:00

DandelionPowderman
matxil
keithsman

[www.youtube.com]

Wasn't it Patti's birthday, or something? I think he was touched or moved by something here, and playing wasn't his #1 priority there and then smiling smiley

There's also that. And f-ups have been part of the Stones since forever. The famous Wimbledon "She's So Cold" comes to mind (1981 or thereabouts) and some version in the early 70's of Midnight Rambler where during the break Charlie and Mick and Keith are none of them synchronized with each other. It means they are a live band, f-ups and all.

Date: March 8, 2018 12:05

matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
keithsman

[www.youtube.com]

There's also that. And f-ups have been part of the Stones since forever. The famous Wimbledon "She's So Cold" comes to mind (1981 or thereabouts) and some version in the early 70's of Midnight Rambler where during the break Charlie and Mick and Keith are none of them synchronized with each other. It means they are a live band, f-ups and all.

In the early 60s. Listen to the ending of Oh, Baby, We Got A Good Thing Going from the On Air-album. Hilarious! grinning smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 8, 2018 13:16

Hairball
Interesting analysis of Keith's fingers by rheumatologist Dr. Ronan Kavanagh written around the time LIFE came out.
(Interesting comments also below article)

FINGERS

Along with gnarled fingers, Keith's face appears really old in this pic when compared to today.
There was talk of him having some sort of work on his face last year- botox or whatever, but I think his healthier look is due to healthier living.

Very interesting article...thanks.
Love the quote...'One of the most hard working bands'... (The Stones).

Date: March 8, 2018 13:25

His condition is Heberden's nodes

And one doesn't have to use the index finger over all strings to hold a barre chord smiling smiley

Keith in Paris 2017:

Date: March 8, 2018 13:51

keithsman
i don't think his fingers hurt him so much as get in the way

There was this interview not so long ago where a journalist investigated Keith's fingers and then she asked him if they hurt, and Keith answered that there isn't any pain from his fingers.

matxil

That's something that puzzled me too. It must have been obvious to the Stones as well that something was going wrong with SFTD. Normally, if you see you can't do it like you could 30 years earlier, you would try to find something that you can still do and also sounds OK, and rehearse it until it sticks.

Date: March 8, 2018 14:50

doitywoik
keithsman

There was this interview not so long ago where a journalist investigated Keith's fingers and then she asked him if they hurt, and Keith answered that there isn't any pain from his fingers.

matxil

That's something that puzzled me too. It must have been obvious to the Stones as well that something was going wrong with SFTD. Normally, if you see you can't do it like you could 30 years earlier, you would try to find something that you can still do and also sounds OK, and rehearse it until it sticks.

We might be going in circles here, this takes us back to what i was suggesting earlier.
Keith seems to be refusing or is unable to do anything to improve the situation with his poor soloing on Sympathy
So to try and understand whats going on and improve things one of two things need to happen..

A. We accept it, SFTD stays in the set list and we move on.

(If Keith actively fails every night to simplify or change the solo to an audible sound outside of what can only be appreciated by Aliens winking smiley, then he is either playing it that way for a reason because he likes the way he is playing it, or he can't do anything about the way he's playing it, or maybe there's some kind of mind games taking place that is beyond our knowledge.)

B. Why doesn't Mick DROP Sympathy from the setlist, its what Mick does when he himself struggles with a song. I don't understand why Mick is happy for Keith to make a mess of it night after night, Mick's a consummate professional and surely he want's to deliver the best possible show to the people where Keith shines in his performances as best he can as well as Mick ??

Date: March 8, 2018 15:00

Talking of Aliens Keith says he knows they are there, perhaps he is playing to them lol.
[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 9, 2018 00:06

matxil
keithsman

[www.youtube.com]

Yes, but you see, this is not really bad. He clearly forgot the intro, looks for it for a while, tries to find it, then let's the band start and acknowledges with a laugh that he almost forgot it and then sort of recovers.

So, finally I also watched the clip, and I also see it like matxil, found it rather charming. Once I have more time I'll see if I can retrieve the scene I had in mind.

Date: March 9, 2018 00:59

keithsman
B. Why doesn't Mick DROP Sympathy from the setlist, its what Mick does when he himself struggles with a song. I don't understand why Mick is happy for Keith to make a mess of it night after night,

SFTD is one of the higlights of every show, when the stages goes red and the drum tape starts the crowd goes crazy. It's a staple since 1989 and dropping it from the set list would be worse than dropping Rambler (albeit not as bad as dropping Satisfaction). I can fully understand that Mick wants it in. Also, I don't think that Keith botches it on purpose. Botching Satisfaction would have a much bigger effect. Or, in 2017, like coming out on stage not playing anything at all. If Keith wants to pay Mick back he rather starts a song while Mick is still in the middle of his announcement, simply cutting him off. If he were really bored with the setlist, he might simply start a song that isn't on the night's setlist. Everybody else would know how to play it, and Mick would be forced to go along.

As for his playing on SFTD, it's not only that he often was rhythmically totally off but also harmonically. Like, doing the regular pentatonic thing in the solo but one whole tone off and sticking to it. Normally, if you notice you started on the wrong fret, you would simply go to the right one and everything's fine. I was sometimes wondering if he simply didn't hear that he was off.

Date: March 9, 2018 01:15

Keith has played the intro to Happy so many times, to completely forget it for that long was a shock.

I see what you mean about SFTD being irreplaceable in the set, but the Stones dropped Gimme Shelter for several tours and got away with it.

Personally i could live without the Stones ever playing Miss You, Satisfaction and IORR again, but yes GS and Sympathy are incredible masterpieces that should be played most nights if possible.

I just think Keith needed a rest from Sympathy, maybe he could have looked at it from a different angle had he had a break from it.

Like on the last tour Under My Thumb was great again, and so was Street Fighting Man and Slipping Away, a rest is good sometimes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-09 01:18 by keithsman.

Date: March 9, 2018 02:33

keithsman
Keith has played the intro to Happy so many times, to completely forget it for that long was a shock.

But such things do happen, and they have nothing to do with booze or drugs. In a very important exam at university, suddenly the word "adjective" had disappeared from my memory, and believe me, I had used that word far more often than Keith ever played Happy. I was sweating blood finding a way to still answer the question without using that word. Same if you have a part in a theater play and you've done your part already a hundred times, and then it's your entrance and you walk out on the stage and suddenly your first line is gone. Even professional actors can tell you stories about that. So, I rather felt with Keef here because it had happened to me as well and I might well imagine many in the audience felt with him too.

keithsman
Personally i could live without the Stones ever playing Miss You, Satisfaction and IORR again,

Totally agree with you! smileys with beer Especially Miss You, which was great with Bill on Bass, is unbearable with Darryl. Also, his solo in MU might well be nominated for the most boring bass solo ever. Again I do understand that Mick (or even the whole Band) wants to give him a solo spot, but it would serve the song better to leave the solo out. Satisfaction and IORR were never favourites of mine, there are better songs in their catalogue.

For me , GS is the highlight of every show (provided it is played). Another instance where Keith's playing was plain painfull in 2017.

keithsman
I just think Keith needed a rest from Sympathy, maybe he could have looked at it from a different angle had he had a break from it.

Like on the last tour Under My Thumb was great again, and so was Street Fighting Man and Slipping Away, a rest is good sometimes.

Totally agree with you from a musical standpoint. Also HTW and a few others could take a rest. Unfortunately it's all part of the present greatest hits show. My "different angle moment" in 2017 was Dancing With Mr D, the LP version of which I never really liked, but the slow groove of the 2017 version really got me.

Because I happened to think of it, I just checked the setlist of the 1982 show in Vienna: mostly then-recent stuff, some curiosities and only 25% war horses... (although most of the concert itself was not really great; top act of the day was the J. Geils Band).

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 9, 2018 02:39

I can do without Start Me Up and IORR, but Satisfaction, Gimme Shelter, and Sympathy are necessities.
While I think Keith can get away with fudging around with Satisfaction, it's the iconic solos of Gimme Shelter and especially Sympathy that sometimes stray way off the deep end. When you hear Keith play the Yankee Doodle Dandy melody or some nursery rhymein the middle of Sympathy (and I have), you have to wonder what's up Keef? But those instances are actually welcome compared to some of the unidentifiable absurdities he sometimes comes up with. I don't think he intentionally screws things up, and in his fragile mind he might actually think he's playing something stunning, but someone should let him know it ain't happening. For instance when he strikes a pose, hands in the air, smiling and nodding to the audience as of he just played a masterpiece when in reality there's no sound at all coming from his guitar, you can only smile back and be thankful he's alive. As for Sympathy as an opener, on paper it might have seemed a good idea, but it really doesn't fly imo. And for the casual Stones fans and/or first time Stones concert attendees, is the first impression you want to give them a lame drum loop with some demonic lighting? And then Keith prowling up to center stage and butchering an iconic solo that so many are familiar with? It sets the stage for rest of the show, and many are probably wondering what the hell was that, and why are these old farts considered the Worlds Greatest Rock and Roll Band? But that's just my opinion and take on it, and feel that Sympathy needs to be in the setlist but further down the setlist - by then the crowd is already either totally into it or never were into it in the first place, but at least you don't shut some of them out and turn them off with the very first song. I'd rather they open with Start Me Up and let Ronnie butcher a solo/lead as it's not very iconic to begin with (it's sort of all over the place) - at least most of the time Keith comes out looking pretty good after stunning the crowd with his iconic opening riff (unless he screws it up), and Mick is usually in the spotlight anyway. SFM and JJF are probably the best openers as there's not much lead/soloing in the studio versions that most people are familiar with, and there's not much of it to speak of the way they play it live these days, therefore there's less chance of screwing anything up and making a bad impression.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-09 02:42 by Hairball.

Date: March 9, 2018 05:08

Hairball
...it's the iconic solos of Gimme Shelter and especially Sympathy that sometimes stray way off the deep end.

This forum is even great for improving one's knowledge of English phraseology! Love it! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Hairball
I don't think he intentionally screws things up, and in his fragile mind he might actually think he's playing something stunning, but someone should let him know it ain't happening. For instance when he strikes a pose, hands in the air, smiling and nodding to the audience as of he just played a masterpiece when in reality there's no sound at all coming from his guitar, you can only smile back and be thankful he's alive.

In one of those recently posted interviews he said again that he thinks the Stones play now better than ever. Regarding your observations (you're not alone here) one feels inclined to assume he believes what he says. Keith is certainly quite romantic about the Stones (which I find totally OK) but a little reality check every now and then wouldn't hurt either.

Butchered riffs or solos are also noticed by the casual concert goers (as one can overhear in their conversions during or after a show). However, many/most(?) of them grew up on the legend of Mr-survive-it-all. Keith butchers a song? He's certainly high on something! Cooooool! For them, part of the show is to see in real life the man who hasn't had a single sober day in the past 50 years. F*ck-ups are also entertaining, after all, and even more so when delivered by such a symatico type as Keith. A bit like the sad clown in a circus.

As for the show opener, the (musically) wisest thing to do would be to let Ronnie play the opening riff (or even Mick himself) but we all know that's impossible and will not ever happen. Another option is to open the show with 2000 Light Years - no riff or solo in there to botch. Unfortunately, not really a good show opener (albeit great in the middle of the set, for me one of the highlights of the Urban Jungle tour).

What I would like to see is a show opened with a new song (if it's killer). Keith's dynamite riff come to mind ... winking smiley He did well on the blues numbers in 2017, he might be doing alright on new songs as well.(Now that's my wishful thinking again.) Actually, I do think that playing-wise, the live shows would profit from songs from the later CDs, which are possibly more in tune with Keith's actual latterday playing abilities. Gunface would work well in a live show, Anyway You Look At It could be a heartwarming duet by Mick and Keith, and there's more.

And I'm still waiting for a live version of Slave!!!

Date: March 9, 2018 21:58

If that post/thread is true, perhaps no album before 2020 ...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 10, 2018 05:04

IanBillen
Hairball
IanBillen
Charlie doesn't care ..

I hereby nominate this as the title of the new album! thumbs up

Ha!!! Ikr.

I mean Im quite certain he cares in the final product.. while hearing it .. if he must speak up and say something and Im certain he is going to give his best while he is there with em but other than that.... I think we all know Charlie never gives the album .. its progress.. whatever is going on with it a thought in the world lol

If it was brought to his attention that the album was permanently shelved and discontinued Charlie would only regret it being a waste of time .. and not a sad situation. I don't think Charlie ever thinks about the album unless someone mentions it to him. However that is not unlike his thought and feelings toward all the other Stones albums over the last 35 plus years lol.

About Charlie with BRIDGES TO BABYLON:

Charlie returned for the (mixing sessions) and stayed for a while. Not through to the bitter end but long enough to hear things and put his opinion in, which is really great. I really love it when he gets involved.
- Rob Fraboni, 1997

Charlie is now fully ware of the pitfalls of being a bandleader. Nor would you ever in the old days have seen him walk into the control room and say, My hi-hat needs this or that. Now he's made his own records, he's much more meticulous about his drum sound. And that's a great thing, because it takes more of the weight off it just being Mick and me all the time. Which just puts us head-to-head.
- Keith Richards, September 1997

[timeisonourside.com]

Date: March 10, 2018 05:15

There's always the Miami 1994 one, unavailable online anywhere that I can see now, when Keith goes to E flat during his walk back to the main stage during his solo... after he elects to NOT play at the beginning of it. Excellent fun.

Date: March 10, 2018 05:20

matxil
keithsman

[www.youtube.com]

Uh... that was pretty bad. Capo... open G. Can't figure out if it's D or E.

Wow.

Date: March 10, 2018 05:24

DandelionPowderman
His condition is Heberden's nodes

And one doesn't have to use the index finger over all strings to hold a barre chord smiling smiley

I can tell you from personal experience that recording and being on the road and having this occur to me, my cutting down on alcohol helped A LOT. My fingers got knobby - nothing as bad as Keith's - but knobby enough.

It can hurt and it can be an issue.

Date: March 10, 2018 05:30

I could do without ever hearing again JJF, SFTD, IORR, Miss You, Satisfaction, Start Me Up and UOTN.

They have so many hits between 1965 and 1981 they don't need to play them all. And it's quite unfortunate that they ignore their latter discography when it comes to the shows. As much reviled as their last 4 LPs are (1989-2005), they did sell fantastically. They act like they never did them.

Which the set lists since 2012, hell, even back to the BANG tour, pretty much reveal.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: March 10, 2018 16:31

keithsman
doitywoik
keithsman

matxil

We might be going in circles here, this takes us back to what i was suggesting earlier.
Keith seems to be refusing or is unable to do anything to improve the situation with his poor soloing on Sympathy
So to try and understand whats going on and improve things one of two things need to happen..

A. We accept it, SFTD stays in the set list and we move on.

(If Keith actively fails every night to simplify or change the solo to an audible sound outside of what can only be appreciated by Aliens winking smiley, then he is either playing it that way for a reason because he likes the way he is playing it, or he can't do anything about the way he's playing it, or maybe there's some kind of mind games taking place that is beyond our knowledge.)

B. Why doesn't Mick DROP Sympathy from the setlist, its what Mick does when he himself struggles with a song. I don't understand why Mick is happy for Keith to make a mess of it night after night, Mick's a consummate professional and surely he want's to deliver the best possible show to the people where Keith shines in his performances as best he can as well as Mick ??

Sympathy for the Devil should be "retired" from the set-list. It is not a good showcase for Keith Richards. Maybe Mick Jagger thinks that other aspects of this tune- lighting, pyrotechnics, the hypnotic and sinister beat of the tune, even his perceived persona- far outweigh Keith's deficiencies. Seriously, the only ones who will notice and gripe are the hard-core fans. Otherwise, casual fans would not notice it and would still have a good time.

Posted by: rbp ()
Date: March 10, 2018 23:46

They should drop the entire !5 or so songs that have been on the setlist for the past 5 years and plan an entirely new setlist - that would be something.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: March 11, 2018 00:25

GasLightStreet
IanBillen
Hairball
IanBillen
Charlie doesn't care ..

I hereby nominate this as the title of the new album! thumbs up

Ha!!! Ikr.

I mean Im quite certain he cares in the final product.. while hearing it .. if he must speak up and say something and Im certain he is going to give his best while he is there with em but other than that.... I think we all know Charlie never gives the album .. its progress.. whatever is going on with it a thought in the world lol

If it was brought to his attention that the album was permanently shelved and discontinued Charlie would only regret it being a waste of time .. and not a sad situation. I don't think Charlie ever thinks about the album unless someone mentions it to him. However that is not unlike his thought and feelings toward all the other Stones albums over the last 35 plus years lol.

About Charlie with BRIDGES TO BABYLON:

Charlie returned for the (mixing sessions) and stayed for a while. Not through to the bitter end but long enough to hear things and put his opinion in, which is really great. I really love it when he gets involved.
- Rob Fraboni, 1997

Charlie is now fully ware of the pitfalls of being a bandleader. Nor would you ever in the old days have seen him walk into the control room and say, My hi-hat needs this or that. Now he's made his own records, he's much more meticulous about his drum sound. And that's a great thing, because it takes more of the weight off it just being Mick and me all the time. Which just puts us head-to-head.
- Keith Richards, September 1997

[timeisonourside.com]

Yes... I agree he definitely cares and would give input if it's going out and going to be a product. However I dont think he cares much about actually whether there is to be a product or not (I dont think he thinks about it). If it happens while hes there he will be critical of it.. in making sure its all good ...and do his best but as to this (or most albums progress over the last 35 years) .. or whether or not an album actually comes I think he could care less.

It's sort of the same thing with The Licks stage he disagreed with and made a point on when working with the design and putting his foot down with the stages floor in stongly disagreeing with its original floor in saying it just wont work. Charlies 'all in' when hes there and when its a go but if the tour never happened hed or an album never happened hed never care much at all or think about either is the way I think where he sort of sits on it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-11 00:29 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 11, 2018 00:50

Charlie is more into the visual aspects of the band such as the stage design and merch design even helping to design various t-shirts, etc. And now his Granddaughter is collaborating with other more established artists to design a few of the lithos from the last couple of tours - art seems to run in the family. Perhaps Charlie will design the next album cover - at this point it's basically a blank slate without a title or completed tracks and the skies the limit. Maybe a blank white album cover inspired by the Beatles will be in order...or a Wall design similar to Pink Floyd's The Wall but with someone banging their head against it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-11 00:51 by Hairball.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: March 11, 2018 07:12

Hairball
Charlie is more into the visual aspects of the band such as the stage design and merch design even helping to design various t-shirts, etc. And now his Granddaughter is collaborating with other more established artists to design a few of the lithos from the last couple of tours - art seems to run in the family. Perhaps Charlie will design the next album cover - at this point it's basically a blank slate without a title or completed tracks and the skies the limit. Maybe a blank white album cover inspired by the Beatles will be in order...or a Wall design similar to Pink Floyd's The Wall but with someone banging their head against it.

Hahahahahah!!! Ikr!!! grinning smiley <banging our heads for not getting an album and for over analyzing every single aspect of the nothing that we've got from them on here eh?>

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...144145146147148149150151152153154...LastNext
Current Page: 149 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2070
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home