Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 704
Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 20, 2017 15:37

KeithNacho
Will we have really a new album???

The more I think of it the more I think it´s just our imagination (again).
They have a couple of tracks at best I think which are obviously so bad (probably "awful bad") that they don´t know how to carry on and lost completely track. I bet it´s going to be Blue & Lonesome pt2. It sold very well and was easy to make.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-20 15:38 by HMS.

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: April 20, 2017 16:40

For the band themselves I'm sure there's an allure to still being creative and trying to create new music but the reality is the power of the Rolling Stones these days is in their live show. They don't need a new album or new songs to sell out arenas and stadiums. As long as they're healthy and somewhat willing, I just hope they continue to play live shows. And the sooner the better.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 20, 2017 16:43

HMS
KeithNacho

They have a couple of tracks at best I think which are obviously so bad (probably "awful bad") that they don´t know how to carry on and lost completely track. I bet it´s going to be Blue & Lonesome pt2. It sold very well and was easy to make.

....i like your optimism!! winking smiley
They had 'half an album' of new material last year (november). [ultimateclassicrock.com]
Then Mick and Keith spend a week working on new album in a studio in New York (february) [www.timeisonourside.com]
I don't think they have only a couple of tracks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-20 16:44 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 21, 2017 01:11

Gaetzi
For the band themselves I'm sure there's an allure to still being creative and trying to create new music but the reality is the power of the Rolling Stones these days is in their live show. They don't need a new album or new songs to sell out arenas and stadiums. As long as they're healthy and somewhat willing, I just hope they continue to play live shows. And the sooner the better.
smileys with beerhot smiley
Jeroen

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: April 21, 2017 06:28

KRiffhard
HMS
KeithNacho

They had 'half an album' of new material last year (november). [ultimateclassicrock.com]
Then Mick and Keith spend a week working on new album in a studio in New York (february) [www.timeisonourside.com]

As I said earlier based on some of the same info here you mention.. I'm 100% with you on this (not sure how anyone could conceive things differently). Not to mention .. they have been working on this project for like.. 16 months ..soon to be a year and a half .. though in small spurts. Even with that said.. I am sure they have ...much...much ...more than only a few friggin songs by now lol. Im not saying everything they have or done is album material but I am sure they have an <ample> slew of new stuff to pick from and choose to work on for release ...

Ian

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 21, 2017 12:00

They must indeed have tons of material, like they did in 2002 after the Paris sessions, the problem is having enough material they're happy with and it's pretty obvious Keith wasn't happy with it the last he discussed it, albeit indirectly. Another problem is that the more they wait, the more the material has to be deemed "special", which can't hurt I suppose in light of what they used for ABB...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: April 21, 2017 23:18

IanBillen
KRiffhard
HMS
KeithNacho

As I said earlier based on some of the same info here you mention.. I'm 100% with you on this (not sure how anyone could conceive things differently). Not to mention .. they have been working on this project for like.. 16 months ..soon to be a year and a half .. though in small spurts. Even with that said.. I am sure they have ...much...much ...more than only a few friggin songs by now lol. Im not saying everything they have or done is album material but I am sure they have an slew of new stuff to pick from and choose to work on for release ...

Ian

well, they have been talking about it for 16 months. As far as actually working on songs towards releasing a new album, who knows what they have done if anything. Why do you say you are "sure" they have a slew of new stuff? you have no idea, you just hope.

Date: April 22, 2017 02:44

Rokyfan
IanBillen
KRiffhard
HMS
KeithNacho

As I said earlier based on some of the same info here you mention.. I'm 100% with you on this (not sure how anyone could conceive things differently). Not to mention .. they have been working on this project for like.. 16 months ..soon to be a year and a half .. though in small spurts. Even with that said.. I am sure they have ...much...much ...more than only a few friggin songs by now lol. Im not saying everything they have or done is album material but I am sure they have an slew of new stuff to pick from and choose to work on for release ...

Ian

well, they have been talking about it for 16 months. As far as actually working on songs towards releasing a new album, who knows what they have done if anything. Why do you say you are "sure" they have a slew of new stuff? you have no idea, you just hope.

I say that because Don Was said so and Keith said and I quote ...that they had 'a whole load of new stuff' ... and he was referring to original material. That comment was only after their December Session of 2015. It's been 16 months since that session and one year since that comment.

If they had a whole load of new stuff then... they would have even more now. So they have to have a ton of material. Not saying its all good or album material but I am sure they have a big load. Hell Don Was said Mick was working on / looking into '40' songs himself that he was bringing to the table. I'm sure that is a bit exaggerated and many are just ideas but still...

Ian

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 22, 2017 03:42

This is all going in circles Ian - if you recall Don was said they 'hit the wall' with Mick's 40 demos. Then Ronnie said they might 'start from scratch' due to the frustration of 'hitting the wall'.
Maybe they went back to those demos again since then, but I highly doubt it. Why would they keep banging their heads against a wall? It's not going to make them feel any better, and it's probably not going to make the unworkable 40 'hit the wall' demos any better either.!!! I'd be happy to be wrong, but sadly any momentum they had seems to have been flushed down the toilet.

So the way I understand all this mess is they 'hit the wall', then recorded and released Blue and Lonesome, then attempted to get back in the studio a couple of times since then (Mick and Keith only), and now it has been pushed back indefinitely. Maybe they need to clear the air...maybe Mick will have something new the others can feed off of...maybe Keith will go with a solo album...maybe Mick will do the same...maybe some day they will reunite in the studio and produce a new album. I'm not holding my breath for any of it, B&L might be the proper way to close the book. Now I'm just hoping for the sake of European Stones fans that the Stones will announce a new mini-tour before the Fall of 2017.

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: April 22, 2017 04:37

I know it's been mentioned in another thread but, I'd like to see them recut some of their classics.

Keith said songs are "babies" once on record and then they take the songs out on tour- "to grow them up, so to speak."

I'd love to hear how some of songs I love have "grown up."

INXS did it in 2011 to some interesting and (surprising results)

Date: April 22, 2017 05:35

Hairball
This is all going in circles Ian - if you recall Don was said they 'hit the wall' with Mick's 40 demos. Then Ronnie said they might 'start from scratch' due to the frustration of 'hitting the wall'.
Maybe they went back to those demos again since then, but I highly doubt it. Why would they keep banging their heads against a wall? It's not going to make them feel any better, and it's probably not going to make the unworkable 40 'hit the wall' demos any better either.!!! I'd be happy to be wrong, but sadly any momentum they had seems to have been flushed down the toilet.

So the way I understand all this mess is they 'hit the wall', then recorded and released Blue and Lonesome, then attempted to get back in the studio a couple of times since then (Mick and Keith only), and now it has been pushed back indefinitely. Maybe they need to clear the air...maybe Mick will have something new the others can feed off of...maybe Keith will go with a solo album...maybe Mick will do the same...maybe some day they will reunite in the studio and produce a new album. I'm not holding my breath for any of it, B&L might be the proper way to close the book. Now I'm just hoping for the sake of European Stones fans that the Stones will announce a new mini-tour before the Fall of 2017.

They did not hit the wall on all 40 songs... lol ... They hit the wall on <A> song. When asked how the sessions were going after all that months down the road in Don Was's words.. 'F*** Great'...and he remarked that the sessions were going well.. just in spurts.

I think you may be involuntarily spinning this 'hitting the wall' thing into something it's not. That was on a single song .. back in December of 2015. Micks Demos had not even been mentioned yet until like well into the summer of 2016 ..some 8 - 10 months later.

The Stones continued to work on new material after Blue & Lonesome ..but I'll admit.. as you say .. they really needed worked on and gone over.

This thing where they only have a few songs or that they hit a wall in December of 2015 and nothing went on / went right from there is not as I understand it.

....Not to mention Georgelicks said his friend from Universal told him they plan to have the album done this summer some time.

Date: April 22, 2017 05:58

Georgelicks said:

"My friend at Universal is on vacations the whole month in Europe, so I won't hear anything new until May.
The last word at UME is the promise of a new album done by summer (June/September), but the release date can be anytime,
Keith's album and B&L were released after a year with both albums ready and done so I won't be surprised if the new album is released next year".

While gotdablouse posted:

"Apparently the new album has been "canned" for now and no it doesn't mean it's "in the can", but rather "in the bin", sort of makes sense based on the "hit the wall"/delays".

And there you have it, make of it what you will.

Date: April 22, 2017 06:29

Hairball
Georgelicks said:

"My friend at Universal is on vacations the whole month in Europe, so I won't hear anything new until May.
The last word at UME is the promise of a new album done by summer (June/September), but the release date can be anytime,
Keith's album and B&L were released after a year with both albums ready and done so I won't be surprised if the new album is released next year".

"Apparently the new album has been "canned" for now and no it doesn't mean it's "in the can", but rather "in the bin", sort of makes sense based on the "hit the wall"/delays".

I suppose We will have to wait on some 'official' word. Last official word was from Rolling Stone Magazine about two or three months ago and it was said they are in progress on it. Like I said.. we need some official word.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: April 22, 2017 06:33

OK I get it. A guy on the internet said that a friend who works at Universal (in the mailroom?) told him that "the album" will be done by the summer. I guess that seals it then.

Date: April 22, 2017 08:41

IanBillen
Hairball
Georgelicks said:

I suppose We will have to wait on some 'official' word. Last official word was from Rolling Stone Magazine about two or three months ago and it was said they are in progress on it. Like I said.. we need some official word.

Don't give up hope yet Ian and continue to speculate all you want, it's just that it's become a frustrating soap opera. Meanwhile, Mick's in the Caribbean dancing and partying - the thought of entering the studio with Keith is probably the furthest thing from his mind, and who can blame him. Beach, sun, drinks, ocean, girls, family, and dancing VS. Keith, indoors, trapped, isolated, and frustrated...I know where I'd rather be if I was him.

Date: April 22, 2017 12:11

Hairball
Georgelicks said:

The latter comment is just a guess, isn't it?

Date: April 22, 2017 12:19

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
Georgelicks said:

The latter comment is just a guess, isn't it?

Not sure...maybe gotdablouse can clarify.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 22, 2017 13:41

Whenever the album comes out it will be fun when it gets dissected by IORR. I still think it will exceed our expectations.

Re: Another album in 2017?
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 22, 2017 14:30

IanBillen
They hit the wall on <A> song....I think you may be involuntarily spinning this 'hitting the wall' thing into something it's not. That was on a single song

"We'd gone in the studio to start cutting some new songs. Around day three we just hit a wall..."

-Don Was

[www.bbc.com]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 22, 2017 15:06

bye bye johnny

"We'd gone in the studio to start cutting some new songs. Around day three we just hit a wall..."

-Don Was

[www.bbc.com]

Hahaha... around the day three...day three! ... Back in the good old times - the druggie 70's that is - good if by the day three they had all the members somehow gathered together in the studio at the same time, and most likely they were just warming up the band, jamming the blues and trying find the right feel... Now they seem to do the things other way round.. and if the new originals just doesn't feel to sound right, they give up and.. haha... start to play the blues...

Anyway, I recall Keith saying something to the effect that they didn't feel comfortable in the studio, and that's why he suggested playing "Blue & Lonesome", and suddenly it all felt alright, the room, the sound, etc. (and the rest is history).

I think some people here seem to make a bit too much of that "hit the wall" remark. If the Stones couldn't make too inspired and great results in @#$%& three days, everything is now doomed for good...

Just to put the things into perspective a bit...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-22 15:10 by Doxa.

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: April 22, 2017 15:41

HAHAHAHA talk is cheap none of us know what is going on ,the new album will come out when its all ready,stones are band none of them are better the other,all the songs are written by mick/keith ,idea might come from one of them,we need to wait and see what is cooking in the pot,i think it will great album hopefully will be out in summer or sept time,i am looking forward to the album whenever it turns up. MEAN WHILE STONES FANS KEEP ROCKING TO MUSIC WHICH WE HAVE ALREADY GOT,ENJOY,ITS ONLY ROCK-ROLL BUT WE LIKE IT.

Date: April 22, 2017 15:41

True, Doxa, and we know they have been working in the studio after Don's comment.

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on that, either. It's a while ago anyway..

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 22, 2017 15:45

Doxa
bye bye johnny

-Don Was

[www.bbc.com]

Hahaha... around the day three...day three! ... Back in the good old times - the druggie 70's that is - good if by the day three they had all the members somehow gathered together in the studio at the same time, and most likely they were just warming up the band, jamming the blues and trying find the right feel... Now they seem to do the things other way round.. and if the new originals just doesn't feel to sound right, they give up and.. haha... start to play the blues...

Anyway, I recall Keith saying something to the effect that they didn't feel comfortable in the studio, and that's why he suggested playing "Blue & Lonesome", and suddenly it all felt alright, the room, the sound, etc. (and the rest is history).

I think some people here seem to make a bit too much of that "hit the wall" remark. If the Stones couldn't make too inspired and great results in @#$%& three days, everything is now doomed for good...

- Doxa

Respectfully, seems as if even Doxa has drained the barrel on this thread like most everyone else. Without solid evidence and a 12 year span, we are totally adrift with this thread. Nothing beats a Stones release for me despite other interesting new music. Looking forward to a great Summer 2017 basking in the sunshine...hot smiley

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 22, 2017 15:50

Doxa

Which also means to consider that from June 2017 on Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie are 70+ Years old .... winking smiley

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: April 22, 2017 16:13

Proud to make the 775th post on this topic. Like many others here, I have not a scintilla of actual evidence to offer. Unlike many others here, I cannot even muster up a remotely interesting conjecture.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 22, 2017 16:19

And since the amount of facts limited, and speculation is fun, let us speculate a bit with Jagger's interesting remark around the time of releasing Blue & Lonesome that probably they could use the same method - or something to the effect - to their original songs as they did in playing the blues covers. (Can anyone provide a direct quote?)

What could he possibly mean? All I can imagine is that they should before entering the studio know the songs before hand, that is, they need to have a clear vision of how the songs go, and not need to start from the scratch in the studio. This, of course, is in contradiction how Keith would like to record and even make songs - them being build up, even written in the studio, as they had been traditionally - probably a long time ago - done. What Jagger might suggest is that all of them probably should listen his demos 'at home', learn them, think their contribution to them, and then go to studio to cut them. So the difference is not the others adding/over-dubbing their contribution to already existing Jagger demos, but like using them barely as a guide.

This actually is not far from what Ronnie speculated them possibly doing in future - that of re-record the stuff they have already put in the can. This is usually interpreted as Ronnie's criticism towards the already recorded stuff, but since it is "only Ronnie", though a big-mouthed one, could he even say anything of the sort if they hadn't already discussed seriously of that option? It could be that the idea of re-recording derives actually from Jagger, him being so impressed of the BLue & Lonesome sessions (and like him agreeing with the 'hitting a wall' remark - who knows even making that initially...).

And since we are here in the field of wild speculation, isn't that not even far from Keith's a bit bitter comment about "Mick's 40 demos" - that he is not so keen on going to record them. Has he even been offered them already, and being (angrily) awere that the method of making the upcoming Stones album is based on this 'new' method, the songs being totally written before them entering the studio? That's why the comment of alternative options, that is, about his "three promising riffs" (that presupposes them being finished in the studio to proper songs) and him "writing with Mick together" (probably meaning exatly the same).

The thing is that Richards have never bofore - as far as I know - said anything negative about Mick being "profilic" or about "Jagger's demos", or at least said anything such in public, but quite the contrary: he has always sounded happy Mick having songs for The Stones. That bitter comment might reflect something deeper conflict in the dynamics of Stones recording process.

Anyway, the reports about Mick and Keith being just by themselves in the studio sounds actually promising news if the speculation of the 'new method' above has any validity. They might provide together the guiding demos, including Keith's promising riffs re-worked for complete songs, for the rest to record properly some day (quickly and effectively a'la Blue & Lonesome).

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-22 16:28 by Doxa.

Date: April 22, 2017 16:59

I don't think that's different to how Keith wants to cut this at all (re Mick 's suggestion).

However, Keith probably wants to shape the songs a lot before they would cut them live, and not afterwards..

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 22, 2017 18:04

Keith retreating to Germano Studios with Steve Jordan may very well have been just that. Get the songs down so that when he comes back together with Mick, no one sits around waiting for inspiration. In that sense, it isn't much different than how "One More Shot" came about or "Almost Hear You Sigh." Mick allegedly joining Keith at Germano Studios could then be seen in a positive light since whatever Keith accomplished was likely emailed to Mick before then. These could mean Keith is fleshing out Mick's songs with his own guitar parts or new melody lines or it could be Keith putting together his own songs in a form advanced enough that Mick won't find it frustrating to start with just a 30 second riff or a formless jam.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: April 22, 2017 18:17

Rocky Dijon

Mick allegedly joining Keith at Germano Studios

...Wait a minute - did I miss something?!
Did this actually happen (Mick joining Keith in that studio) - and if so: when?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 22, 2017 19:13

Mid-February 2017: Mick Jagger and Keith Richards spend a week working on the new Rolling
Stones album in a studio in New York.

Keith Richards (Late February 2017): New Stones album

It was quite fun. We did a whole week in a little room, slowly putting a new album together.

from [timeisonourside.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1805
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home