Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536...LastNext
Current Page: 31 of 704
Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 10, 2017 11:10

micawber
There won't be a new album...
One and a half years just talkin bout it.
And then released Boring&Lonesome:-((
I gave it some listens, and never came back to it.

thumbs up

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 10, 2017 11:53

georgelicks

We knew about Keith's solo album back in 2012 and it was released in 2015 so do the math.

THEY'RE in their '70s. You do the math. Or are you happy to have a possibly posthumous album?

I DO NOT WISH/WANT that. But they are, like me, getting old. If it's really ready, why not put it out? Whilst you CAN.

Rod

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 10, 2017 12:18

matxil
micawber

thumbs up

Then you are both free instead to listen to albums of your own liking. From the Stones or from other bands. Even to write about it. Maybe, you don't even like blues. That is also your privilege in case.

While I, and others with me, still listen part of the time to BLUE AND LONESOME. Because of that, I also listen to early material up to and including OUT OF OUR HEADS (UK), and besides some of the few blues albums that I have got. I am pleased by all of those.

I am uncertain if there will be another studio album, but I remain hopeful, both as to if and as to what.

Date: May 10, 2017 13:53

Witness
matxil
micawber

thumbs up

Then you are both free instead to listen to albums of your own liking. From the Stones or from other bands. Even to write about it. Maybe, you don't even like blues. That is also your privilege in case.

While I, and others with me, still listen part of the time to BLUE AND LONESOME. Because of that, I also listen to early material up to and including OUT OF OUR HEADS (UK), and besides some of the few blues albums that I have got. I am pleased by all of those.

I am uncertain if there will be another studio album, but I remain hopeful, both as to if and as to what.

I like both their first album and "Out of our Heads (UK)" very much too. I'm also very fond of a lot of original blues artists, especially Muddy Waters, Little Walter and John Lee Hooker. I think the Stones in their best days were unsurpassed in covering blues artists (and Chuck Berry), better than almost any other band.
However I don't ever see any reason to listen to B&L, for the simple reason that whenever I want to listen to the blues, I listen to the aforementioned. But of course, I can see and appreciate how so many people are enthusiastic about it. Good luck and enjoy!

Given that they just announced another tour in Europe, I doubt very much that they will come with a new album this year (or ever). And when they would, I don't expect any good from it. I'm aware that sounds cynical and negative, but after 30 years of mediocre albums, it's also pretty realistic. I think Bill Wyman was right when he said of his own "reunion" with the Stones that you can't go back to the past, like you can't go back to your exes. Mick and Keith are exes, there's no point in them playing in the same band. They should have gone 100% solo, even though I don't like Mick's solo output. And if I am wrong, then maybe it's just my cowardy way of avoiding another big disappointment.

Date: May 10, 2017 14:20

People are different. Some are able to hear something good in everything (yes, even DW!), and love to hear their favourite band play the blues – because they mainly love the sounds they're making more than that of other artists (who may be better musicians or superior in other ways).

Others judge everything by quality or by what they think is best. If they find Little Walter's Just Your Fool superior to the Stones-version, they refuse to listen to the latter because it's not as good as the former.

Both groups seem to be fans, though, only in different ways. Seemingly, in the latter group, there is much less to enjoy, though...

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 10, 2017 14:31

DandelionPowderman
People are different. Some are able to hear something good in everything (yes, even DW!), and love to hear their favourite band play the blues – because they mainly love the sounds they're making more than that of other artists (who may be better musicians or superior in other ways).

Others judge everything by quality or by what they think is best. If they find Little Walter's Just Your Fool superior to the Stones-version, they refuse to listen to the latter because it's not as good as the former.

Both groups seem to be fans, though, only in different ways. Seemingly, in the latter group, there is much less to enjoy, though...

Well said Dandelion.That is the way I see it too. I am part of the first category. When I listen to a rolling stones song or watch a video most of the time i get excited and I enjoy it. After litening to them for over 40 years i am still curious about the way they make a new song sound. I trust them.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: May 10, 2017 14:34

DandelionPowderman

Actually, although DW is terrible, there are indeed 3 or 4 songs which are not bad at all, and at least it's the last time they sounded like a real (in-fighting, all-time low) band. Their subsequent albums sounded like compromises to keep the peace.
I understand what you're saying about loving "their sound", but on B&L it's just not enough. Of course, that's personal. I don't think Little Walter's Just Your Fool is necessarily a lot better, but the difference is so small, that the Stones version becomes pointless. They used to add something (e.g. Stop Breaking Down, Love In Vain, even Prodigal Son). And when they didn't, at least there wouldn't be an entire album of it. For example, on their first, I think their versions of Honest I Do or King Bee rather pointless too, but then there's Tell Me, Mona (Bo Diddley's version *is* actually better, but their version is nice and different), Wanna Make Love To You, Oh Carol, Walking The Dog which all sound good or even great.
And yes, it would be nice to have enjoyed B&L more, but luckily there's no lack of great Stones albums so I think I'll survive smiling smiley. Not to mention three very good albums by Keith.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 10, 2017 15:43

DandelionPowderman

thumbs up

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 10, 2017 20:13

matxil
..it would be nice to have enjoyed B&L more, but luckily there's no lack of great Stones albums so I think I'll survive smiling smiley. Not to mention three very good albums by Keith.

thumbs up

One of the positives of not enjoying B&L more was figuring out where to shelf it when it wore out it's welcome. I began digging through and reorganizing my massive Stones collection - or attempting to, pulling out cd/s and vinyl - (studio, live, bootlegs, etc.), and realizing 'hey I haven't heard this one in a looong time'! Revisiting classics that have stood the test of time - like seeing an old friend again...there's so much to enjoy from this band's history (including Keith solo) that one can never really get tired of it. There's a time to prioritize though, and some of them - including B&L - fall by the wayside in the process. It was fun for a few listens no doubt (and I have one or two favorites' due to seeing live versions), and yes it's the best they released in decades, but nothing truly memorable and/or groundbreaking when the bottom line is it's an album of covers. Happy for those who are somehow able to get more enjoyment out of it, and happy for the Stones for selling so many copies! As for me, I've been enjoying GHS and IORR back to back the last few days, and last week it was Some Girls Deluxe along with Emotional Rescue. Coming up next are some boots of several shows I attended in 2003, and in keeping with the theater/arena/stadium concept of Licks, I'm thinking maybe Vredenburg, Stockholm Globen, and Twickenham. There's plenty to enjoy from this band, and it doesn't take an archaeologist to dig too deep to find something. As for any new album, hoping it happens but not waiting on pins and needles...they've given enough to provide more than a lifetime of enjoyment.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: May 10, 2017 23:25

A source close to Was says recording is still moving forward. More sessions scheduled for early June.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 10, 2017 23:45

MelBelli
A source close to Was says recording is still moving forward. More sessions scheduled for early June.

This is your first post, are you testing us............smoking smiley

Date: May 10, 2017 23:55

No, I've posted here for years. But my old account Mel Belli got scrambled when there were some problems with the website.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 10, 2017 23:57

Welcome back, Mel. Thanks for the intel.

Date: May 11, 2017 00:02

smileys with beer

Date: May 11, 2017 00:06

I'm just doing my part to keep Ian Billen off the ledgethumbs up

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 11, 2017 00:07

MelBelli

Would it surprise anyone if the name of the new album is also No Filter? smiling smiley

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: May 11, 2017 00:13

DW beats the sh** out of Boring&Lonesome big big time.
I would prefer another real Stones album like Dirty Work to everything they did after it, including Sh.. Wheels, Who Do Lounge, Fridges in Barbie-lon, Bigger BigbangBOOM, GRRRR and Boring&Lonesome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-11 00:13 by micawber.

Date: May 11, 2017 00:16

HonkeyTonkFlash
MelBelli

Would it surprise anyone if the name of the new album is also No Filter? smiling smiley

Yes, me.
If they had anything like a new album planned, would they leave us with just no information and wanting us to spend thousands of Euros on that NIX?
They won't, as it would bring them some millions on top if they'd do!

Date: May 11, 2017 00:19

MelBelli

Harharharharhar. How much do you get firing the cash engine like that?
I don' believe anything. No studio, no new album, just one more boring tour for unbelievable ticket prices. That's it.

Maybe Boring&Lonesome 2, at the max.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-11 00:21 by micawber.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: May 11, 2017 00:31

MelBelli
I'm just doing my part to keep Ian Billen off the ledgethumbs up

I know right lol. Thanks much for the info.

Anything you can tell us about where they are in the process and the quality or anything about the material itself?

Ian

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 11, 2017 00:40

MelBelli

Many thanks Mel! thumbs up

Date: May 11, 2017 01:03

I don't anything about what it sounds like. But I understand the June sessions might be for auxiliary musicians to add parts. So it sounds like it's decently far-enough along.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 11, 2017 01:08

The eventual album won't be called NO FILTER. That would be sloppy branding and Universal would hardly let them squander the name on a tour when the album isn't ready. We're just all surprised the tour has a decent name instead of POSTAL CODE or '17 ON FIRE. Yes, there will be a new album...although whether it's "all new" or merely "new to us" is incidental. We'll see what we get when we get it.

If Mel's source is correct and they're largely at the overdub stage, that would make sense since it appears Keith and Don Was were adding jazz saxophone to at least one track at the sessions a couple months ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-11 01:11 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 11, 2017 01:24

....YEAH there'll be a new Stones album ... RELAX be positive ...all will work out fine

ROCKMAN

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 11, 2017 01:30

The best we can hope is for a December release again, just like last year with B&L to maximise sales.

They are doing a project at the time, Universal has no word about the album ready to go, so it won't be released anytime soon.

Date: May 11, 2017 01:34

Ooooooh exciting updates for this thread - all these teasers from various sources are adding up to a possible reality!
Not holding my breath yet, but this gives some hope, and with the new tour announced it seems anything is possible! smiling smiley

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 11, 2017 02:52

As for the tour, we could have just listened to the gentleman who runs the site who first posted about the tour and then said it was delayed till Fall. We all like to speculate, joke, and complain; but the truth never deviated from that. Likewise what Soldatti has communicated via the album. Sure it's been a long time coming, but everything he's shared has later proved to be on the money or matches later comments by the band or Don Was. The only thing that was ever off was our own impatience leading to speculation something had derailed plans.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: May 11, 2017 02:53

georgelicks
The best we can hope is for a December release again, just like last year with B&L to maximise sales.

They are doing a project at the time, Universal has no word about the album ready to go, so it won't be released anytime soon.

*Hi Georgelicks ... I don't want to come off like I am giving you a hard time (or targeting you in any way). Also don't want to appear argumentative with what you have been told .. (I appreciate your insight).

With that said .. the <one project at a time> thing just isn/t flying .. I amnot so convinced of that notion. I think it's been anything but one project at a time lol. The project of a new album was talked about well over a year and a half ago and the 'project' of a new studio album of new material officially started in December of 2015 ..

In between that start of said project we have had some live shows .. a new covers album (<which is just a great piece .. I can admit that) .. more on Exhibitionism from them .. studio work from with with working with other people... and now ... finally.... a full on European tour.

They have been juggling multiple projects .. or at least put this particular project aside ... I cant buy the 'one project at a time thing'... If that was the case.. we would of had the album already.

For whatever reason .. they are taking the sweetest time of their lives and moving other projects to the front while shuffling this studio album project behind (lets hope that is because it is for the better). We <know> there is no rush to get this out on their behalf.. (or Universals). That's been pretty obvious... We are simply saying at this point they should step it up and finish it FIRST. Personally I think they really need to put this album out BEFORE thinking about anything else .. but now with the albumnot even done.. they already have a full tour planned? They should put the album out in conjunction with the tour ..

How many years can go by? How many other projects can they possibly put in front of this thing... IMO they are reluctant (or lazy ) or both studio wise. So much it's actually gotten to the point of being pretty rediculous. Jus sayin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-11 02:59 by IanBillen.

Date: May 11, 2017 04:20

IanBillen
We are simply saying at this point they should step it up and finish it FIRST.

Ahem...we?

Now you're including everyone in your demands? Strength in numbers? winking smiley

From my perspective , the only thing they need to finish first is their breakfast in the morning - they need to stay well-fed, healthy, and happy!
Anything beyond that expectation is asking (or demanding) too much from the 70+ year olds. The new tour is a bonus, and thankfully their final show will not be the abbreviated Vegas show due to Mick being sick ( sad smiley ).
They're still breathing and rolling...isn't that enough at this point? That being said, looking forward to and hoping for a new album whenever it happens. thumbs up

Hopefully you will be able to attend a show in the upcoming tour Ian!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 11, 2017 04:54

MelBelli
No, I've posted here for years. But my old account Mel Belli got scrambled when there were some problems with the website.

I recognized the name but only saw one post. Thank you for the Intel.....smileys with beer

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536...LastNext
Current Page: 31 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2114
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home