Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: OT: Rock Hall Inductees Are Pearl Jam, Tupac Shakur, Journey, Yes, Electric Light Orchestra and Joan Baez
Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: December 23, 2016 02:56

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-23 09:47 by Socrates1.

Re: OT: New Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame nominees announced
Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: December 23, 2016 03:44

I didn't want to edit that: it should say: "to an extent." Now for chapter 2...just joking, but really, I don't even know what Rock & Roll is anymore. Some of it is rock. Some of it is pop. Does rock & roll exist anymore? They play a lot of rock & roll-style guitar on the country music stations nowadays, with pedal steel licks added. So what is that music? Is Vince Gil a rock & roll player, as well as country player? Sure. Give them all awards.

Edit: And now I just found out he spells his name with more than one L. He can really play. And he's a great rock & roll player. But he's on the country award shows.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-23 04:05 by Socrates1.

Date: December 23, 2016 06:49

Socrates1
I didn't want to edit that: it should say: "to an extent." Now for chapter 2...just joking, but really, I don't even know what Rock & Roll is anymore. Some of it is rock. Some of it is pop. Does rock & roll exist anymore? They play a lot of rock & roll-style guitar on the country music stations nowadays, with pedal steel licks added. So what is that music? Is Vince Gil a rock & roll player, as well as country player? Sure. Give them all awards.

Edit: And now I just found out he spells his name with more than one L. He can really play. And he's a great rock & roll player. But he's on the country award shows.

at least vince gill has a connection to rock n roll. he was in pure prairie league for awhile which was southern rock and he was invited to join dire straits but declined. he did return the favor to dire straits by singing backing vocals and playing guitar on "the bug" which was on the 1991 album On Every Street

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: December 23, 2016 07:20

If Journey's in shouldn't REO Speedwagon be in too? About the same thing. Actually some of REO's early stuff is actually pretty decent. Very underrated guitarist. Think he just passed away.

I was checking the list of inductees, and good god, Madonna's in there. Is there anyone worse than Madonna? Wait, I take it back. She did come up with the groundbreaking song "Holiday."

And just in case you didn't think the Hall was a joke there is this: Grandmaster Flash got in about five years before Heart.

And just in case you didn't think the Hall was a joke Part II: Donna Summer is in. Donna Summer! And Brenda Lee. Never realized Johnny Cash was rock, even though he was cool enough to be.

Date: December 23, 2016 07:59

johnny cash had some rockabilly material early in his career

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 23, 2016 09:22

Chester
If Journey's in shouldn't REO Speedwagon be in too? About the same thing. Actually some of REO's early stuff is actually pretty decent. Very underrated guitarist. Think he just passed away.

I was checking the list of inductees, and good god, Madonna's in there. Is there anyone worse than Madonna? Wait, I take it back. She did come up with the groundbreaking song "Holiday."

And just in case you didn't think the Hall was a joke there is this: Grandmaster Flash got in about five years before Heart.

And just in case you didn't think the Hall was a joke Part II: Donna Summer is in. Donna Summer! And Brenda Lee. Never realized Johnny Cash was rock, even though he was cool enough to be.

To me, the Hall was pretty good for its first 20 years. It kinda started treading water in 2006, then when they did Grandmaster Flash in 07 it was the beginning of the end. They self admitted wanted to add rap, which made literally zero sense. Its been downhill from there. Then we got Madonna, Run DMC, Abba, and many rock bands that probably didn't deserve it. It started scrapping the barrel. The last 10 years haven't been too great, although they did make a conscious change because whether you like them or not, the big 3 that were ignored every year were KISS, Rush and Deep Purple and now they are all in. So they are listening, just at a snail's pace and a bit too little too late.

I do think, largely, everyone in BEFORE 2005 is pretty indisputable. A few snuck their way in, but overall it was a pretty solid Hall. It went downhill and became the pop Hall essentially and its lost a lot of the credibility. And its nothing against people like Madonna or Tupac. But someone like Madonna is praised constantly, there's literally no need for her here, and someone like Tupac its just not his genre. Make him first induction in the rap hall of fame.

Johnny Cash deserves to be in. He influenced many rock artists. But the others? Journey is a very bad slippery slope to many of those other bands getting in. REO Speedwagon as you mention, Styx, Foreigner. All fine bands, you can like them, but they are not Hall Of Fame worthy. Listen, I love bands like Triumph, but I also know well enough they don't belong here. There are bands that go above and beyond and Journey is a slippery slope to allowing all the others that haven't been more than good pop rock bands into the Hall. Now we're gonna have pop and rap acts AND shitty rock acts.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 23, 2016 09:59

It still aint nuffin till they get Harmonica Frank name on da wall ... Rock-A-Little Baby

ROCKMAN

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: December 23, 2016 14:14

It still aint nuffin till they get Harmonica Frank name on da wall

Damn right!
When they put in grandhibbyshibbyflash yet ignored Harmonica Frank Floyd !!!!!...
they were on my shit list.. DOGSHIT LIST!!!

MEEEEERRROOOOOOOWWWWW!!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: December 23, 2016 15:57

Crosby, Stills & Nash is in but Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young is notconfused smiley

I kind of thought they were more or less the same band but what do I know!

and in 2012 The Small Faces and The Faces are inducted together, I actually consider them two different bands...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-23 16:22 by 2000 LYFH.

Re: OT: Rock Hall Inductees Are Pearl Jam, Tupac Shakur, Journey, Yes, Electric Light Orchestra and Joan Baez
Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: December 23, 2016 16:05

Socrates1

How did your essay turn out to be a .

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: December 23, 2016 18:42

potus43
There was ONE viable candidate who SHOULD have gotten in. The J Geils Band. They need to shut the whole thing down NOW! Tupac???!! Who or what is that. Let rap open their own HOF.
Journey is one of the worst bands of all times..In the same "class" as Bon Jovi, Styx, Triumph - all those nonsense bands. Kinda wish the Stones refused the induction.
Do not hold back, tell us how you really feel!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 23, 2016 19:35

potus43
There was ONE viable candidate who SHOULD have gotten in. The J Geils Band.

I agree that the J.Geils Band deserves induction.

But if I had to pick ONE candidate from this years batch that should have gotten in--and I bet Peter Wolf would agree with me--it would be JOE TEX.

Joe Tex had a bunch of classic Soul hits back in the day, and unlike many of his contemporaries, he didn't just sing them, he wrote them too.

Check out this TV clip, especially the verse that begins at 1:30...

[www.youtube.com]

...right in the middle of this song about love, he just drops this chilling description of the reality of how to survive as a black man in 1960's America. A devastating account that he just slipped into what became a chart hit.

Joe Tex wrote of love and women in some ways that may seem old-fashioned now, but it was a product of it's time, and even if some are offended by his un-pc ideas of the role of men and women, there is such a timeless joy in his music that you can't help but dance to it.

The man had a wild sense of humor, but it was knowing and good-natured, and even when he was joking he presented as a man of dignity.

Joe Tex was never anybody's fool.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

In a just world, Joe Tex should have been inducted years ago, and his producer Buddy Killen would be in there too.

But he's not entirely forgotten:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-23 19:47 by loog droog.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: December 23, 2016 20:55

It's a pop music museum. I wouldn't get hung up on the 'rock and roll' thing.
The more the merrier, imo. I visited there once and you want to have both popular acts as well as the niche/underground acts.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: December 23, 2016 21:31

MrMibbs
potus43
There was ONE viable candidate who SHOULD have gotten in. The J Geils Band. They need to shut the whole thing down NOW! Tupac???!! Who or what is that. Let rap open their own HOF.
Journey is one of the worst bands of all times..In the same "class" as Bon Jovi, Styx, Triumph - all those nonsense bands. Kinda wish the Stones refused the induction.
Do not hold back, tell us how you really feel!

That said it all! Johnny Rotten has it right

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 23, 2016 21:35

What about the Archies? Sugar, sugar is a classic!!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 8, 2017 19:29

6 Women Currently Snubbed by the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

[www.culturesonar.com]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 8, 2017 21:45

Stevie Nicks shouldn't be in solo. Also I'm not sure why every female lists doesn't include Pat Benatar. I'm not a fan but she was a pretty big female act for awhile.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 8, 2017 23:23

I agree Rolling, but they got sister Rosetta right.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 9, 2017 00:30

latebloomer
6 Women Currently Snubbed by the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

[www.culturesonar.com]
Latebloomer, thanks for that link. I was immediately struck by that lead-in photo to the article. After some searching I was able to determine that it's the mid-sixties girl group the Shangri-Las. I remember some of their hits from oldies radio of the mid-eighties, so today I went on Amazon and ordered an expanded version of their debut album, Leader of the Pack. So, thanks again! smiling smiley

Article on the Shangri-Las: [nypost.com]

Interview with Shangri-Las leader Mary Weiss: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 9, 2017 01:15

I call it Wenners Folly; i won't even use the actual (r&r) word in relation to that heap of nonsense. Rockman's comment made my day; like Wenner knows or cares about Harmonica Frank or anything other than the laughable irrelevant crap their mag and most everything associated with it has been for decades now.
they outghta call if the Paul Schafer Show or something...wotta total joke.
MC5, even the old wrinkled lost surviors wherever they are, pees more rock and roll in the morning evacuation than Wenner will ever be able to comprehend. The Sex Pistols are in. That's all that's important to me at this point. And their response to the invite, well that's the second most important thing to me about the rock and roll hall of bad tv shows...i mean hall of shame at this point. for a long time now imo. they miss geils and put journey in. i'd like to vomit. i'm gonna try stick my fingers down my throat and get on back to you another day...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-09 10:15 by hopkins.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: April 9, 2017 03:18

keefriffhard4life
people keep saying journey are a band that built themselves on 1 hit. my question, since when?

the band has 8 albums that hit the US top 10. they have 5 top 10 hits. they have 17 top 40 hits. the bands biggest hit is actually "open arms". they have 9 albums with sales certified of 2 million or more.

One of the worst bands (if that's what you want to call them) of all time. Certainly in the top (bottom 5) with the likes of bon joke and styx

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: April 9, 2017 04:45

I am surprised anyone still discusses this stupid weiner charade

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 9, 2017 08:20

Herald Sun ..... 9 April 2017

ROCKMAN

Date: April 9, 2017 09:35

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-09 10:39 by hopkins.

Date: April 9, 2017 10:17

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-09 11:05 by hopkins.

Date: April 10, 2017 21:06

didn't you enjoy them in 1981

Date: April 12, 2017 18:43

who is bon joke

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: April 12, 2017 22:57

Chester

Journey??? They don't belong in the Sherman Oaks Karaoke Hall of Fame, one of the worst bands ever. The place is a wax museum with keychains...

Date: April 13, 2017 02:34

hopkins
I call it Wenners Folly; i won't even use the actual (r&r) word in relation to that heap of nonsense. Rockman's comment made my day; like Wenner knows or cares about Harmonica Frank or anything other than the laughable irrelevant crap their mag and most everything associated with it has been for decades now.
they outghta call if the Paul Schafer Show or something...wotta total joke.
MC5, even the old wrinkled lost surviors wherever they are, pees more rock and roll in the morning evacuation than Wenner will ever be able to comprehend. The Sex Pistols are in. That's all that's important to me at this point. And their response to the invite, well that's the second most important thing to me about the rock and roll hall of bad tv shows...i mean hall of shame at this point. for a long time now imo. they miss geils and put journey in. i'd like to vomit. i'm gonna try stick my fingers down my throat and get on back to you another day...

well little did I know that 3 days after posting this I'd be starting the thread about the sad passing of j. geils.
let's just say a missed opportunity.
it's hard to dislike a fellow like Eddie Vedder and I'm sure he's more than deserving of notice and awards...but in context...Eddie was like four years old when J Geils band started, about six when they were signed and starting to have a really BIG impact...
that ceremony means nothing to me. Eddie's the kind of guy who would have torn into Hard Drivin' Man or something if that event wasn't 3 days before John's death. i'm not gonna watch that show ever again. and i'm never going to buy Rolling Stone Magazine ever again either. nor read an ounce of their crap.
Wenner himself is inducted...wow.
what supreme bullshit.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 13, 2017 04:12

Yeah, Wenner himself was inducted...by Mick. Somehow I think you'll play another Stones album.

Don't get me wrong, I love 90% of J. Geils Band's output and think they should be there along with a number of other highly influential artists. The thing is, it's for tourists like all museums (as well as being an Old Boys' Club). If you're not on the right side of the fence and you're not going to bring in added revenue, you don't get acknowledged. Rap and pop acts will bring people who buy tickets and trinkets and overpriced food and drinks from the museum's cafeteria. They're also around to get the news clips when they perform at the induction ceremonies. The public would rather see some rapper's bling and Madonna's sweaty panties, they don't even know who half the people are who laid the foundation for rock or kept it on course. This is about commerce, not art and when it's not driven by commerce, it's about who's in the exclusive club and who isn't. That's human nature, sadly and the Rock Hall is just another example.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1907
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home