Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7172737475767778798081...LastNext
Current Page: 76 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Date: December 4, 2016 20:32

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
kevinkamphuis
Haha I didn't use Audacitywinking smiley.
There are way better tools for the job.

I haven't done any investigating other than getting Audacity. What else is there that is as good or better or what you use? I've used it for editing, mainly, one particular edit was from a live recording for a Westwood One show where some curse words were reversed... so I edited them to be correct, which is hilarious, but I've also tweaked some things just for fun with it, made part of a song sound like an AM radio... boosted some bass to shake the house on some notes, etc.

He's probably using a digital mastering software. Unless he has set up a real mastering lab. I don't know.

At least he could answer. Otherwise it's just elitist craptalk to raise himself above "common people" like us.

Real mastering guys never reveal their fairy dust smoking smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 4, 2016 20:53

TheflyingDutchman
Blueranger
This album will be a footnote.
It's not a great release.
Sorry.

This is not the place to give negative musical comments or try to make a bit of (ironic) fun regarding this release.

Were supposed to say this is the best since Exile?

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: December 4, 2016 21:45

palerider22
I can't complain about anything on this album. We're actually quite lucky we even have one from the band and I'm going to love every second of it. It's all going to end soon and I don't take from granted that there is going to be a next one. As far as I'm concerned...it's great. I'm past the stage of being a critic of the band's efforts. It serves no purpose at this point. Just enjoy what it is...

thumbs up

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 4, 2016 22:02

palerider22
I can't complain about anything on this album. We're actually quite lucky we even have one from the band and I'm going to love every second of it. It's all going to end soon and I don't take from granted that there is going to be a next one. As far as I'm concerned...it's great. I'm past the stage of being a critic of the band's efforts. It serves no purpose at this point. Just enjoy what it is...

Very emotional listening to this, similar to listening to Keith's ballads on CH. A band that has meant so much to me released a very meaningful listening experience in 2016. Optimistically waiting on the third piece of the trilogy in 2017. hot smiley

Posted by: Bluesstone ()
Date: December 4, 2016 22:08

What a joy this album is! And what an otherwordly beautiful and heartful version of the song Blue & Lonesome

Date: December 4, 2016 22:11

Yes they did it right except mastering. I have only audacity with clipfix (e.g. decrease volume by 2-4 dB and the clipfix with 95 per cent) , so my possibilities are limited, but I have already made an attempt with slightly increased DR (+2-3 DR) on tracks 2,3,4,5,7,9,12 and slightly 11. The result is subjectively much better, since distortion has decreased. I never did this with Stones' album, but this time it is really a viable alternative. For sure I'll keep the original CD handy and will play also the original version that I have bought, but especially for background listening the uncompressed version seems to be much better.

Hats off to the Rolling Stones, less to the mastering engineers sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-04 22:12 by jumpingjackflash5.

Date: December 4, 2016 22:25

Redhotcarpet
TheflyingDutchman
Blueranger
Sorry.

This is not the place to give negative musical comments or try to make a bit of (ironic) fun regarding this release.

Everybody is supposed to say whatever he thinks. To compare it to Exile, or the Taylor years for that matter is a great joke to me, certainly as far as the quality of the guitar playing is involved.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 4, 2016 22:37

Sorry.

OH DEAR!!!! ... seek help quickly .......

ROCKMAN

Date: December 4, 2016 22:45

TheflyingDutchman
Redhotcarpet
TheflyingDutchman
Blueranger
Sorry.

Everybody is supposed to say whatever he thinks. To compare it to Exile, or the Taylor years for that matter is a great joke to me, certainly as far as the quality of the guitar playing is involved.

The first two albums are better comparisons, as they are based on purer blues than that of Exile.

That said, I prefer Hoo Doo Blues to Shake Your Hips and I Gotta Go isn't very much poorer than Stop Breaking Down.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 4, 2016 22:48

This is such a chick question, but
What is the 'jewel case'? Rhinestones, gems?
The link was not my language.
Thank you.
(All I have is the iTunes right now! Did not receive
my CD package yet from official RS website yet!
They may be adding the t-shirt?
I want my CD!)

Date: December 4, 2016 22:50

jewel case. n. 1. A hinged plastic case designed to hold a CD or other optical disc and usually a printed insert or liner

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 4, 2016 23:03

Rockman
jewel case. n. 1. A hinged plastic case designed to hold a CD or other optical disc and usually a printed insert or liner

LOL!
My deluxe package arriving tomorrow -- sans jewelry.

Date: December 4, 2016 23:10

okay babeeeeeeee .... you'll be one happy gal ..... rave on sis rave on

ROCKMAN

Date: December 4, 2016 23:22

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
Redhotcarpet
TheflyingDutchman
Blueranger
Sorry.

The first two albums are better comparisons, as they are based on purer blues than that of Exile.

That said, I prefer Hoo Doo Blues to Shake Your Hips and I Gotta Go isn't very much poorer than Stop Breaking Down.

That's why I mentioned it as it the Taylor Years, cause Mick T really could play the blues, imo even better than Clapton. Of course it's perfectly understandable that hardcore Stones fans are in heaven after waiting for so long... I don't consider myself as a post-Taylor years fan. A pity he isn't on the album, and frankly that's the only reason why I chimed in on this thread. Anyway, please enjoy and continue the discussion.

Date: December 4, 2016 23:27

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
Redhotcarpet
TheflyingDutchman
Blueranger
Sorry.

That's why I mentioned it as it the Taylor Years, cause Mick T really could play the blues, imo even better than Clapton. Of course it's perfectly understandable that hardcore Stones fans are in heaven after waiting for so long... I don't consider myself as a post-Taylor years fan. A pity he isn't on the album, and frankly that's the only reason why I chimed in on this thread. Anyway, please enjoy and continue the discussion.

You made that kleer smiling smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 4, 2016 23:37

Kleerie, do you know who Cornelis Wreeswijk is (or was, rather)? A Swedish national bard. One of the greatest since Bellman. He was called "Den flygande holländaren" (The Flying Dutchman).
I wonder if he's well known in Holland? Probably not...

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: December 4, 2016 23:38

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
Redhotcarpet
TheflyingDutchman
Blueranger
Sorry.

Sorry for mine bad Englis

This is a Rolling Stones forum, this is not a Mick Tailor forum.
Best Flying Dutchman, you accidentally called Kees. Or you yourself mentioned Kleermaker.

Dit is een Rolling stones forum, dit is geen Mick Tailor forum.
Beste vliegende hollander, heet jij toevallig Kees. Of noemde jij je zelf kleermaker.

Date: December 4, 2016 23:48

Idorh
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
Redhotcarpet
TheflyingDutchman
Blueranger
Sorry.

Sorry for mine bad Englis

This is a Rolling Stones forum, this is not a Mick Tailor forum.
Best Flying Dutchman, you accidentally called Kees. Or you yourself mentioned Kleermaker.

Dit is een Rolling stones forum, dit is geen Mick Tailor forum.
Beste vliegende hollander, heet jij toevallig Kees. Of noemde jij je zelf kleermaker.

My dear idohr, I'm cutting it on my own, believe me. thumbs up

Date: December 4, 2016 23:58

Stoneage
Kleerie, do you know who Cornelis Wreeswijk is (or was, rather)? A Swedish national bard. One of the greatest since Bellman. He was called "Den flygande holländaren" (The Flying Dutchman).
I wonder if he's well known in Holland? Probably not...

Well, he was originally dutch, wasn't he?

Have always loved his music.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 5, 2016 00:05

Yes, he was. Born in Jmuiden (Velsen). His family moved to Sweden when he was twelve. So he is probably not that well known in Holland. I guess...

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: December 5, 2016 00:19

As I wrote earlier, I'm a fan of Rolling Stone on 1963. And this album is for me the real Stones. Raw sharp and full of emotion. I have listened to five days, and it just gets better. Incredibly, men over 70, and play as a young fresh band. We should not complain, and are glad that they still exist and act and albums release. What's the point to compare with earlier material, which they have now well improve music with three chords
Just straightforward. Not to nitpick, just to let you come and enjoy it. The people who complain need but tell me what to release then. Should the copies of songs from the 70s ??? Hope blue and lonely is a worldwide hit, the Stones remain also take effect, and the new studio album for 2017 might also be a great success. For me, this album is a gift, and find any number great
Gr Bert (Dutchman)

Zoals ik al eerder schreef, ik ben Rolling Stone fan van af 1963. En dit album is voor mij de echte Stones. Rauw scherp en vol emotie. Ik heb er 5 dagen naar geluisterd, en het wordt steeds beter. Ongelofelijk, mannen van boven de 70, en spelen als een jonge frisse band. Wij moeten niet zeuren, en blij zijn dat ze nog bestaan en optreden en albums uit brengen. Wat heeft het voor zin om te vergelijken met vroeger materiaal, wat moeten ze nu met die drie akkoorden muziek nou verbeteren
Gewoon recht voor zijn raap. Niet muggenziften, gewoon over je heen laten komen en genieten. De mensen die klagen moeten mij maar is vertellen wat ze dan moeten uitbrengen. Moeten het kopieën worden van nummers uit de jaren 70??? Ik hoop dat blauw en eenzaam een wereldwijde hit wordt, dan blijven de Stones er ook zin houden, en kan de nieuwe studio album voor 2017 misschien ook een groot succes worden. Voor mij is dit album een geschenk, en vind elk nummer geweldig.
Groeten Bert.(Nederlander)

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: December 5, 2016 00:20

The harmonica is awesome.

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: December 5, 2016 00:44

DandelionPowderman
z
DandelionPowderman
+ Clapton's guitars on two tracks. Some say they hear an acoustic guitar on EKAMGT as well. I'm not sure..

How do you know Clapton was overdubbed? I thought he played live.

DandelionPowderman
+ Clapton's guitars on two tracks. Some say they hear an acoustic guitar on EKAMGT as well. I'm not sure..

EKAMGT? Commit a Crime, DP. I think I hear three electric guitars and one acoustic on Commit a Crime. But that's only me...

You can hear the residue of Ronnie's slide guitar on EKAMGT. That may indicate that Clapton added his slide guitar later. It would be odd with both of them blazing away with slide fills at the same time.

That's exactly what happened. They both played and basically pulled the weave.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 5, 2016 00:46

Straycat13
The harmonica is awesome.

thumbs up

Date: December 5, 2016 01:01

mpj200
DandelionPowderman
z
DandelionPowderman

How do you know Clapton was overdubbed? I thought he played live.

DandelionPowderman

EKAMGT? Commit a Crime, DP. I think I hear three electric guitars and one acoustic on Commit a Crime. But that's only me...

You can hear the residue of Ronnie's slide guitar on EKAMGT. That may indicate that Clapton added his slide guitar later. It would be odd with both of them blazing away with slide fills at the same time.

That's exactly what happened. They both played and basically pulled the weave.

It sounds more like they tried to remove Ronnie's track, but it bled into other tracks. It's barely audible. That's a new form of weaving.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-05 08:45 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: December 5, 2016 01:08

Monsoon Ragoon
Why is it a 2 LP release? Even with ten minutes more the material had easily fit on 1 LP. One side with 10 or 12 minutes is quite absurd.

You lose a lot of quality if you go over 20 minutes per side.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 5, 2016 01:09

Mick's vocals sound a bit forced on I Can't Quit You Baby - maybe a bit over-enthusiastic because Clapton was in the room?
Not talking about production (which is fine), just the overall delivery. Sounds like they were all having a good time recording it though.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: December 5, 2016 01:22

Average record,maybe they should have done one side of blues and the other side some new stuff,to me it gets boring fast.and in all honesty The Stones feeling the blues,l don't think so,but hey for those that love it great for ya...and on top of it Keith is rehashing his dribble about being guided by the man upstairs,this is as good as exile,and his usual BS...

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-05 01:25 by ROPENI.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 5, 2016 01:24

Hairball
Mick's vocals sound a bit forced on I Can't Quit You Baby - maybe a bit over-enthusiastic because Clapton was in the room?
Not talking about production (which is fine), just the overall delivery. Sounds like they were all having a good time recording it though.

I thought the opposite, nothing but genuine enthusiasm. Up there with his career best!!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 5, 2016 01:32

ROPENI
Average record,maybe they should have done one side of blues and the other side some new stuff,to me it gets boring fast.and in all honesty The Stones feeling the blues,l don't think so,but hey for those that love it great for ya...

Agreed. Or they could have even narrowed it down to the best two, three, or four blues covers, and intertwined them with some new/original stuff - similar to what they did with Exile.
As it stands, I'm already shuffling and skipping tunes...but there's a few nice ones on there for sure. thumbs up
Wonder of they'll ever do a Reggae covers album...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7172737475767778798081...LastNext
Current Page: 76 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2369
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home