Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7273747576777879808182...LastNext
Current Page: 77 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: December 5, 2016 01:51

henrik87
jumpingjackflash5
henrik87
kowalski
Does anyone who tried the hi-res version care to comment about it? Does it improve the sound in any way?

I got the HiRes download album from Quobuz. If you have the right equipment you notice the better sound. Less compression creates a little more room for the instruments.

You mean less loudness war? Or more space for filtering? Audible frequencies are the same as in 16/44.1

It is not the frequency but rather the bit rate (16 vs 24 bit) that creates a better sound.

The 24 bit version definitely sounds better, with more depth and more definition. But it's the same heavily limited and bloated type of mastering as the CD (like all Stones releases since at least 2010).
What really takes advantage of the high definition is Darryl Jones bass though.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: December 5, 2016 02:15

so for you techies... it sounds much better on my ideapad 100 playing the youtube vids in my red level living room than on the missus' iphone while driving a borrowed chevy suburban pulling a uhaul trailor thru Louisiana in a rainstorm.

it's definitely got a good beat and is good to dance to in spite of eric clapton crashing the party.

i know it's only chicago blues but i like it, i mean holy @#$%& cow those guitars.

i give it 2 thousand points.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: December 5, 2016 03:10

I would just like to report that I'm in my happy place with B&L. This is the music all the Stones fans needed. Rejoice Stones fans!

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: December 5, 2016 03:24

DandelionPowderman
mpj200
DandelionPowderman
z
DandelionPowderman
+ Clapton's guitars on two tracks. Some say they hear an acoustic guitar on EKAMGT as well. I'm not sure..

How do you know Clapton was overdubbed? I thought he played live.

DandelionPowderman
+ Clapton's guitars on two tracks. Some say they hear an acoustic guitar on EKAMGT as well. I'm not sure..

EKAMGT? Commit a Crime, DP. I think I hear three electric guitars and one acoustic on Commit a Crime. But that's only me...

You can hear the residue of Ronnie's slide guitar on EKAMGT. That may indicate that Clapton added his slide guitar later. It would be odd with both of them blazing away with slide fills at the same time.

That's exactly what happened. They both played and basically pulled the weave.

It sounds more like they tried to remove Ronnie's track, but it bled into other tracks. It's barely audible. That's a new format of weaving.

They both played live in the same room at the same time. Ronnie's track wasn't removed. I don't know how else to put it.

Date: December 5, 2016 08:39

mpj200
DandelionPowderman
mpj200
DandelionPowderman
z
DandelionPowderman

DandelionPowderman

EKAMGT? Commit a Crime, DP. I think I hear three electric guitars and one acoustic on Commit a Crime. But that's only me...

You can hear the residue of Ronnie's slide guitar on EKAMGT. That may indicate that Clapton added his slide guitar later. It would be odd with both of them blazing away with slide fills at the same time.

It sounds more like they tried to remove Ronnie's track, but it bled into other tracks. It's barely audible. That's a new format of weaving.

They both played live in the same room at the same time. Ronnie's track wasn't removed. I don't know how else to put it.

They removed what they could remove. Then Ronnie added a new track for his solo, and the rest of the song..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-05 10:18 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 5, 2016 09:16

still no sign from rs store about the shipping of my items..
still on heavy rotation what I have smiling smiley
song of the day

Little Rain

feels good

Posted by: TotalBB ()
Date: December 5, 2016 10:17

Currently listening to the originals of the B&L album... Am I the only one who thinks Little Walter's voice sounds a lot like Keith's?

video: [youtu.be]

I for one would love to hear Just Your Fool with Keith on lead vocals. It would be perfect for him.

Date: December 5, 2016 10:18

TotalBB
Currently listening to the originals of the B&L album... Am I the only one who thinks Little Walter's voice sounds a lot like Keith's?

I for one would love to hear Just Your Fool with Keith on lead vocals. It would be perfect for him.

Might be one of the reasons why Keith like him so much smiling smiley

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: December 5, 2016 11:04

Got the vinyl and with that comes a download code for the digital album but when I tried to download it said can't download onto iPhone or iPad and I don't own a computer.

Nate confused smiley

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: December 5, 2016 11:12

Nate
Got the vinyl and with that comes a download code for the digital album but when I tried to download it said can't download onto iPhone or iPad and I don't own a computer.

Nate confused smiley

My vinyl didn't come with a download code which I'm still peeved about. I would have thought you could have downloaded it directly into iTunes, though--hopefully somebody will be able to help you figure out a way to do that.

Date: December 5, 2016 11:17

Nate

Nate confused smiley

Might be because you got a hi-res download?

It's weird anyway. My Samsung Galaxy takes wav-files just fine..

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 5, 2016 13:46

OK so which ones are you favorites so far? Don't give me "all of them" smiling smiley

Date: December 5, 2016 13:49

Redhotcarpet
OK so which ones are you favorites so far? Don't give me "all of them" smiling smiley

Try this thread, Carpet.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: December 5, 2016 13:50

On the magic Little Rain, the first guitar is Keith and after Ronnie ?

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: December 5, 2016 13:51

powerage78
On the magic Little Rain, the first guitar is Keith and after Ronnie ?

Ronnie left and Keith right throughout the album.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 5, 2016 13:55

I'll keep my comments fairly brief.

1, This band knows how to play the Blues....which more than entitles them to do so.

2, There are a dozen Blues songs on this album and every one different and distinct from the others...proving how much variety in feel and style is available within the supposedly limited structure of the idiom.

[ Boring my *rse ! ]

I'm not at this point going to comment at all on the mastering.

I can't help commenting however on the pressing.
180gm vinyl is of dubious benefit anyway...but of no benefit whatsoever if the discs are warped & "swingers", which both of my discs are.

[For the uninitiated...a "swinger" is a record with the hole not exactly in the middle...causing the arm to swing slightly from side to side as it tracks.
Not a huge issue here... but I'm glad its not piano music ! winking smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-05 14:04 by Spud.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: December 5, 2016 13:55

grinning smiley thanks

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: December 5, 2016 14:11

Spud
I'll keep my comments fairly brief.

1, This band knows how to play the Blues....which more than entitles them to do so.

2, There are a dozen Blues songs on this album and every one different and distinct from the others...proving how much variety in feel and style is available within the supposedly limited structure of the idiom.

[ Boring my *rse ! ]

I'm not at this point going to comment at all on the mastering.

180gm vinyl is of dubious benefit anyway...but of no benefit whatsoever if the discs are warped & "swingers", which both of my discs are.

[For the uninitiated...a "swinger" is a record with the hole not exactly in the middle...causing the arm to swing slightly from side to side as it tracks.

You should ask for new discs. I hate it when that happens. It happened with record 1 on my Havana Moon copy sad smiley

Date: December 5, 2016 14:45

z
DandelionPowderman

DandelionPowderman

I have listened several times now, and I still don't hear an acoustic guitar. What I hear, though, are some cymbal-things that might resemble that sound. Only in three or four places, though (left speaker). It would be odd adding a guitar in just a few places, wouldn't it? I don't know, but I can't hear it smiling smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 5, 2016 15:39

DandelionPowderman
Spud

You should ask for new discs. I hate it when that happens. It happened with record 1 on my Havana Moon copy sad smiley

yes I should really ...but I'm far too idle & apathetic grinning smiley

[Can't be arsed with packing it back off to Amazon. Should have bought it from my local HMV . That'll teach me ]

Date: December 5, 2016 15:43

Spud
DandelionPowderman
Spud

yes I should really ...but I'm far too idle & apathetic grinning smiley

[Can't be arsed with packing it back off to Amazon. Should have bought it from my local HMV . That'll teach me ]

I still have my Tokyo vinyl-set with reversed sound. Just saying... winking smiley

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: December 5, 2016 16:04

I have with this album as much fun as their first album begoin sixties.
A wonderful spontaneous album, as my wife is not home I turn him anytime.
Gr Bert.

Ik heb met dit album net zoveel plezier als hun eerste album begoin zestiger jaren.
Een heerlijke spontaan album, als mijn vrouw niet thuis is draai ik hem elk moment.
Gr Bert.

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: December 5, 2016 16:05

Listened to B&L for the first time on the 2nd and about a half dozen times since. Really nice to be listening to new Stones music! Great album. Covers can't get the same status as say Exile or Some Girls but the quality and authenticity is right up there. So much talent, wish they showed it off more often with new or deep tracks. Thank you boys for the music and looking forward to the next release of originals.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: December 5, 2016 16:22

Just listened to it right now for the first time and I'm very impressed.
What a wonderful album...
I'm speechless.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 5, 2016 17:01

IMPRESIVE UK sales during the first 3 days (Friday/Sunday)

1 Rolling Stones - Blue and Lonesome (65.6k)
2 Michael Ball & Alfie Boe - Together (27.1k)
3 Elvis Presley - The Wonder of You (23.5k)
4 Little Mix - Glory Days (22.3k)
5 Olly Murs - 24 Hrs (16k)

B&L is outselling the #2 more than 2x1, and with 4 days more of sales to go.

Date: December 5, 2016 17:03

georgelicks
IMPRESIVE UK sales during the first 3 days (Friday/Sunday)

1 Rolling Stones - Blue and Lonesome (65.6k)
2 Michael Ball & Alfie Boe - Together (27.1k)
3 Elvis Presley - The Wonder of You (23.5k)
4 Little Mix - Glory Days (22.3k)
5 Olly Murs - 24 Hrs (16k)

B&L is outselling the #2 more than 2x1, and with 4 days more of sales to go.

That's great! thumbs up

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: December 5, 2016 17:12

Bluesstone
What a joy this album is! And what an otherwordly beautiful and heartful version of the song Blue & Lonesome

grinning smiley

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 5, 2016 17:14

Nobody expected those sales in homeland. Looks like they'll overtake Little Mix as the 2nd fastest selling album of the year in the UK.

eye popping smiley

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: December 5, 2016 17:39

DandelionPowderman
mpj200
DandelionPowderman
mpj200
DandelionPowderman
z
DandelionPowderman

DandelionPowderman

They removed what they could remove. Then Ronnie added a new track for his solo, and the rest of the song..

So you think Ronnie'a guitar parts are overdubbed on this song? Are you really suggesting this?

Posted by: TotalBB ()
Date: December 5, 2016 17:41

DandelionPowderman
TotalBB

Might be one of the reasons why Keith like him so much smiling smiley
Must be. smiling smiley Too bad that Keith doesn't sing on this album though.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7273747576777879808182...LastNext
Current Page: 77 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1860
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home