Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6970717273747576777879...LastNext
Current Page: 74 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: z ()
Date: December 4, 2016 10:59

DandelionPowderman
+ Clapton's guitars on two tracks. Some say they hear an acoustic guitar on EKAMGT as well. I'm not sure..

How do you know Clapton was overdubbed? I thought he played live.

DandelionPowderman
+ Clapton's guitars on two tracks. Some say they hear an acoustic guitar on EKAMGT as well. I'm not sure..

EKAMGT? Commit a Crime, DP. I think I hear three electric guitars and one acoustic on Commit a Crime. But that's only me...

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: December 4, 2016 11:17

Does anyone who tried the hi-res version care to comment about it? Does it improve the sound in any way?

Posted by: henrik87 ()
Date: December 4, 2016 11:54

kowalski
Does anyone who tried the hi-res version care to comment about it? Does it improve the sound in any way?

I got the HiRes download album from Quobuz. If you have the right equipment you notice the better sound. Less compression creates a little more room for the instruments.

Date: December 4, 2016 12:07

henrik87
kowalski

I got the HiRes download album from Quobuz. If you have the right equipment you notice the better sound. Less compression creates a little more room for the instruments.

You mean less loudness war? Or more space for filtering? Audible frequencies are the same as in 16/44.1

Date: December 4, 2016 12:11

Another day with Blue and Lonesome.

Just Like I Treat You - even better. Wonder why this has not been a single.
Distortion I am getting more used to, but still on some tracks (5,9,10,12) it too much hides the sound of the band and makes micks voice sound worse than it would be without or with less distortion (Little Rain - wonderful performance from Mick but distorted).
But I have listened to originals from 50s and 60s and yes even then the blues musicians used distortion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-04 12:12 by jumpingjackflash5.

Date: December 4, 2016 12:14

z
DandelionPowderman

DandelionPowderman

EKAMGT? Commit a Crime, DP. I think I hear three electric guitars and one acoustic on Commit a Crime. But that's only me...

Sorry. I mixed them up.

Are you sure that Ronnie's electric guitar isn't merely panned in different places, like with Clapton's guitar is on EKAMGT?

Date: December 4, 2016 12:17

z
DandelionPowderman

DandelionPowderman

You can hear the residue of Ronnie's slide guitar on EKAMGT. That may indicate that Clapton added his slide guitar later. It would be odd with both of them blazing away with slide fills at the same time.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: December 4, 2016 12:26

henrik87
kowalski

Thank you. Will probably give it a try (always annoyed to have to pay two times for the same album...)

Posted by: henrik87 ()
Date: December 4, 2016 12:27

jumpingjackflash5
henrik87
kowalski

You mean less loudness war? Or more space for filtering? Audible frequencies are the same as in 16/44.1

It is not the frequency but rather the bit rate (16 vs 24 bit) that creates a better sound.

Date: December 4, 2016 12:31

Yes I agree 24 bit is an improvement since the sound does not have big quantization error and does not have to be strictly dithered.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-04 12:32 by jumpingjackflash5.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 4, 2016 12:35

88.2kHz/24bit HiRes-Download:

[www.highresaudio.com]

[www.qobuz.com]

[www.7digital.com]

[store.acousticsounds.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-05 12:50 by Irix.

Date: December 4, 2016 12:40

Has anybody the ITunes version (Mastered for Itunes) compared to CD? I have bought Just your fool there in advance, I am not sure about it but the sound seems to be a tiny bit different on this track ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-04 12:40 by jumpingjackflash5.

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: December 4, 2016 12:46

Hi, I noticed Mick does not follow the lyrics from the originals exactly. Here and there he improvises a Little and changes some of the words. In 'commit a crime' they skip a complete verse. The booklet of the cd (normal version) doesn't contain lyrics. Is this different for the deluxe box? If not: did anyone find the correct lyrics somewhere on the internet? Any official sources? I checked Keno's website (http://www.keno.org/Songlistnlyrics.htm). He comes close, but not perfect either. Thanks!

Posted by: z ()
Date: December 4, 2016 12:53

DandelionPowderman
z
DandelionPowderman

DandelionPowderman

Sorry. I mixed them up.

Are you sure that Ronnie's electric guitar isn't merely panned in different places, like with Clapton's guitar is on EKAMGT?

I don't hear it in different places. As I told you on page 59, I suspect that Ronnie's guitar is in fact two guitars mixed together. But I'm waiting for the experts' opinions.

Posted by: kevinkamphuis ()
Date: December 4, 2016 12:58

kowalski

The 24/88.2Khz version from HDTRACKS doesn't sound any better than the CD. The same loud master. Yes it's 24 bit so you get better results when you remaster & remix it. I've done it myself and the album sounds great nowsmiling smiley

Date: December 4, 2016 12:59

In which sense did you remaster it ? smiling smiley

Date: December 4, 2016 13:20

jumpingjackflash5
Carefully restored some dynamcics, declipped the tracks and widen the stereo spectrum of some tracks. It sounds awesome now

Date: December 4, 2016 13:22

As a Taylor era Stones fan I have to say Ronnie plays fantastic on this album. Especially on the title track!

Date: December 4, 2016 13:30

kevinkamphuis
jumpingjackflash5
Carefully restored some dynamcics, declipped the tracks and widen the stereo spectrum of some tracks. It sounds awesome now

Can you post the operations you did e.g. in Audacity ?

Date: December 4, 2016 13:44

jumpingjackflash5
kevinkamphuis
jumpingjackflash5

Haha I didn't use Audacitywinking smiley.
There are way better tools for the job.

I'll post a sample. Remember it's officially released material...

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: December 4, 2016 13:47

BEST BLUES ALBUM ,I PUT IT BETWEEN EXILE AND STICKY,GET YOUR YAS,YAS,OUT.

Date: December 4, 2016 14:00

kevinkamphuis
jumpingjackflash5
kevinkamphuis
jumpingjackflash5

Haha I didn't use Audacitywinking smiley.
There are way better tools for the job.

I'll post a sample. Remember it's officially released material...

Yes I know, you need not post the samples. I fully respect authors rights and do not want you to share tracks here. You can briefly describe the workflow doen in audio editor. i tried decreasing volume and declipping and it sounds differently ...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-04 14:24 by jumpingjackflash5.

Date: December 4, 2016 14:06

By the way, when declipped the distortion seems to me less problematic ... If I decrease volume and declip in Audacity the harshness is suddenly at acceptable level ...

I wonder why loudness wars still continue sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-04 14:16 by jumpingjackflash5.

Date: December 4, 2016 14:30

So it is clear now. Whether intentional or not, that "overdistortion" thing I spoke about is a matter of production/mastering, not a bands own performance. If you want to try it then decrease volume and declip in Audacity, or try to use some other plugin. Still some (good) distortion is present, but it is not as intrusive as on the CD. On some tracks this is prominent, some sound +- OK even on CD (like Just your fool).

Anyway the bands performance is awesome!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-04 14:49 by jumpingjackflash5.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 4, 2016 14:40

SomeTorontoGirl
I'm a Keith Chick thru and thru (!) but Mick's vocals on this are so great, the songs really suit his range
and he is so strong, he really shines. And his harp - yeah, baby! Going to have to play it again...

Keith knows what he's doing :E

Mick shining in his natural habitat seems to be the main aim of this album.
It's great indeed to hear him taking the harp out for more than a test drive,
and to hear his voice sounding (most of the time) so relaxed, the way it's meant to sound

I love the Rolling Stones

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 4, 2016 14:49

with sssoul
SomeTorontoGirl
I'm a Keith Chick thru and thru (!) but Mick's vocals on this are so great, the songs really suit his range
and he is so strong, he really shines. And his harp - yeah, baby! Going to have to play it again...

Keith knows what he's doing :E

Mick shining in his natural habitat seems to be the main aim of this album.
It's great indeed to hear him taking the harp out for more than a test drive,
and to hear his voice sounding (most of the time) so relaxed, the way it's meant to sound

I love the Rolling Stones

thumbs up

I hope his voice will be so relaxed (and no nasal or forced) on the new original stuff.

Posted by: glimmertwin1 ()
Date: December 4, 2016 14:51

henrik87
kowalski

This is my CD:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed folder: C:\Images\CD(s)\2016 - Blue & Lonesome\
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR Peak RMS Filename

DR8 over -8.58 dB 01. Just Your Fool.wav
DR6 over -7.64 dB 02. Commit A Crime.wav
DR6 over -8.16 dB 03. Blue And Lonesome.wav
DR7 over -7.90 dB 04. All For Your Love.wav
DR5 over -6.39 dB 05. I Gotta Go.wav
DR7 over -8.42 dB 06. Everybody Knows About My Good Thing (feat. Eric Clapton (gtr)).wav
DR6 over -7.06 dB 07. Ride 'Em Down.wav
DR7 over -8.04 dB 08. Hate To See You Go.wav
DR6 over -8.39 dB 09. Hoo Doo Blues (feat. Jim Keltner).wav
DR9 over -10.32 dB 10. Little Rain.wav
DR6 over -7.14 dB 11. Just Like I Treat You.wav
DR7 over -8.13 dB 12. I Can't Quit You Baby (feat. Eric Clapton (gtr)).wav

Number of files: 12
Official DR value: DR7

==============================================================================================

Date: December 4, 2016 14:54

The CD version seems to be just the same.
foobar2000 1.3.14 beta 1 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: The Rolling Stones / Blue & Lonesome
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR8 0.00 dB -8.58 dB 2:16 1/12-Just Your Fool
DR6 0.00 dB -7.64 dB 3:38 2/12-Commit A Crime
DR6 0.00 dB -8.16 dB 3:07 3/12-Blue And Lonesome
DR7 0.00 dB -7.90 dB 4:47 4/12-All Of Your Love
DR5 0.00 dB -6.39 dB 3:26 5/12-I Gotta Go
DR7 0.00 dB -8.41 dB 4:31 6/12-Everybody Knows About My Good Thing
DR6 0.00 dB -7.06 dB 2:49 7/12-Ride 'Em On Down
DR7 0.00 dB -8.04 dB 3:21 8/12-Hate To See You Go
DR6 0.00 dB -8.39 dB 2:37 9/12-Hoo Doo Blues
DR9 0.00 dB -10.32 dB 3:32 10/12-Little Rain
DR6 0.00 dB -7.14 dB 3:25 11/12-Just Like I Treat You
DR7 0.00 dB -8.13 dB 5:13 12/12-I Can't Quit You Baby

Number of tracks: 12
Official DR value: DR7

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
Channels: 2
Bits per sample: 16
Bitrate: 883 kbps
Codec: FLAC
================================================================================

Date: December 4, 2016 15:00

From this outcomes that the slower tracks with lower DR like I Gotta Go, All Your Love, I cant quit you baby, Commit a Crime or Hoo Doo Blues can benefit from declipping.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-04 15:04 by jumpingjackflash5.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6970717273747576777879...LastNext
Current Page: 74 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1511
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home