Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6566676869707172737475...LastNext
Current Page: 70 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: December 3, 2016 06:11

To me I haven't been this excited to hear the stones do what they do best. Fantastic tunes.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 3, 2016 06:11

Rolling Stones' Chuck Leavell Discusses Breaking New Studio Release: 'Blue And Lonesome'

Chuck Leavell is neither British nor is he an official member of The Rolling Stones, but he might as well be: He has toured and recorded with the famous rock band now for more than three decades. As such, the venerable keyboardist, who hails from Tuscaloosa, Alabama, plays an important role in the Stones new studio release, "Blue And Lonesome."

We caught up with Leavell, 64, who has also toured with the Allman Brothers and Eric Clapton, for a little rock-and-roll wisdom just before he was to sit in with The Roots on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon. Following are edited experts from part one of a fascinating chat.

Jim Clash: As a southern American boy, do you see any irony here touring and recording with The Rolling Stones, one of the best of them from across the pond.

Chuck Leavell: Never in my wildest dreams growing up in Tuscaloosa, AL, in my first band called The Misfits - of course, playing British Invasion - did I think I would wind up playing with Mick and Keith. It’s literally a dream come true, an amazing journey. I’m just blessed, what can I say? Recently, we played Havana. It reminded me of 1990 when we played Prague in former Czechoslovakia, after the Wall fell in 1989. Those kinds of opportunities are unprecedented – to be able to play in front of people who had never been able to see that type of music live. In the case of Havana, 750,000 people people were mouthing the words to our songs. Even though that music was banned, it had found its way underground to the public. There were tears of joy, quite an experience.

JC: What is Mick Jagger like to work with?

CL: Mick is the kind of guy who could make you comfortable with the Queen of England. If he walked in here right now, he’d charm your pants off. He’s just a really sweet guy, amazingly intelligent, obviously immensely talented. But very comfortable to be with. He doesn’t put on any kind of airs. I think he generally likes meeting people, learning about the individuals he does get to meet. He’s okay in my book [laughs].

JC: Why this new studio album now, after 11 years?

CL: It was a happy accident. The band went into the studio in London with the idea of just kicking around any ideas or grooves we can build on. At some point, the suggestion was made, “Let’s have some fun, do a blues tune.” Well, that worked and it lead to another and another, and within three days there were 12 tracks. I was back in the U.S. during this time, and when I heard about it I was, “Oh man, I didn’t get to go in.” On the Latin American tour, Keith says you gotta come to my room and hear this stuff. It was amazing. He said, "Chuck, we’ll get you on this stuff." A week or two later, Mick said the same thing – “It wasn’t planned, we didn’t mean to do this, but we want you on it.” So I went to New Orleans with Don Was, the producer, and worked in a really great studio, The Parlor, with a fantastic upright piano. They wanted all the sounds to be authentic, and that’s the case. As you know, Eric Clapton sat in on a couple of things, too. I overdubbed my parts in six hours and today [Dec. 2] is the actual release date, and we’re really excited. I especially like the tracks "Just Your Fool" and "Ride Em On Down."

JC: If you dare, compare Keith Richards' guitar style to Eric Clapton’s.

CL: Night and day, night and day [laughs]. I call Keith 'the Count Bassie of Rock and Roll.' He’s more the riff-meister. He comes up with these fabulous riffs we all know and love and uses a lot of five-string and open tuning, whereas Eric is pretty much straight-ahead conventional six-string, conventional tuning. Completely different approaches, but both genuises in their own right.

[www.forbes.com]

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: December 3, 2016 08:06

Nice and Gritty sounding, Love It! I think they have done their Southside Chicago Blues Godfathers another Big service by putting this collection out for future generations to dissect and enjoy and also for us fan to enjoy while we still can...

Posted by: goinhome ()
Date: December 3, 2016 08:21

On my 3rd spin... 1st time on vinyl after unwinding from the workday. This record is is magic... nothing but but down and dirty, raw, heartfelt versions of the songs they love. Deep, deep groves, lots of feeling, great harmonica and vocals from Mick, and the band is on fire. It's certainly not perfect, but that's what makes it great... haunting at times (Little Rain). This is one for the ages. Full circle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-03 08:27 by goinhome.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 3, 2016 09:04

goinhome
On my 3rd spin... 1st time on vinyl after unwinding from the workday. This record is is magic... nothing but but down and dirty, raw, heartfelt versions of the songs they love. Deep, deep groves, lots of feeling, great harmonica and vocals from Mick, and the band is on fire. It's certainly not perfect, but that's what makes it great... haunting at times (Little Rain). This is one for the ages. Full circle.

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 3, 2016 09:53

i was gonna wait listen a few times,think about it-fck that,it's a masterwork.

everything about it is perfect,the way it's recorded,the playing from every one of the stones.i wanna find a complaint and not sound to much like an over zealous fan but i've got nothing.they just brought it all back home on this one.

when you listen to it you can hear the soul of the rolling stones,where songs like midnight rambler began,where songs like ventilator blues came from.they need to take this mtherfckr on the road.

Posted by: rusty ()
Date: December 3, 2016 09:57

hockenheim95
Has anybody seen a jewel case version? There is one listed at Saturn.de but they didn't have one at my local store. They had some vinyl but it was already sold out when I went there

Im Angebot beim Media Mark für 12.90. Die Box für 29.00 Euro

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: December 3, 2016 10:28

I can pick it up over the weekend. I have a good feeling about this one. I'm still trying not to read any reviews...

Posted by: hickorywind ()
Date: December 3, 2016 10:57

James Kirk
5 stars

Blue and Lonesome is a late in the game home run that many/most people did not think this band was capable of anymore. It proves the critics wrong in a big way and returns the Stones to the status of The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World... This album just feels so authentic. For lack of a better term, it's just so Stonsey in the best possible way.

This album is full of swagger that has at times been missing from recent releases...It doesn't try and compete with the current trends of pop culture (been there/done that) and instead is a mature, yet still vital piece of music from true musicians and not the here today gone tomorrow pop stars of today. Quite frankly it's an album that the Stones should have started making 20+ years ago...Let's hope they can keep the loose/confident feel of this album going for the studio album of originals that is coming next.

After hearing this album today, I'm thrilled to say that it's almost 2017 and the Rolling Stones are alive and well!!!

Couldn't agree more !

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: December 3, 2016 11:05

and returns the Stones to the status of The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World...

I wasn't aware that they ever left that status grinning smiley

PS
it is actually GRNRBITUniverse .... aint no aliens got nothing on Earths The Rolling Stones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-03 11:06 by HankM.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 3, 2016 11:09

muenke
I really like most of the songs on the CD, particulary the uptempo numbers. The slow ones are - for me - hard to take, but nevertheless they are performed very well by the group, it´s just not my kind of musical taste. The production is great and raw, they must have had a ball recording this stuff.

And I think it is a little bit unfair to bash people who dislike the new CD, because you really don´t have to be a fan of old school blues music to be a "real" Stones fan! This discussion is childish. I know there are many blues people around, blues is the origin not just of the Stones, but of rock music in general ... but "nobody" is listening to this kind of music nowadays.

Yeah but i am actually a blues fan but this album is not blues to me. Maybe partly because of Mick not really slowing down and letting himself go like in the old day when he was young and tried to sound old.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: December 3, 2016 11:28

I don't really understand in what sense the album isn't blues. confused smiley Anyway, I love it, especially the Little Walter and Willie Dixon songs, and the photos of each band member on the inner sleeves are terrific.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 3, 2016 11:55

Review from Germany's musikexpress - 4 out of 6 stars:

"Die Rolling Stones zollen mit einem Cover-Album ihren (Rhythm’n’)Blues-Helden Tribut.

In Zeiten, in denen die Popkultur ausschließlich von ihrer Vergangenheit zu leben scheint, alle retromanischen Schamgrenzen gefallen sind und sich Fragen über den Aktualitätsbezug von Musik scheinbar verbieten, darf man gerne einmal wieder ein neues Rolling-Stones-Album gut finden. Es ist ja so, dass der kritische Fan spätestens seit UNDERCOVER (und das ist auch schon 33 Jahre her) versucht hat, sich jedes neue Stones-Album schönzuhören – mit mehr oder weniger positiven Ergebnissen.

Es spricht nicht unbedingt für das Songwriter-Duo Jagger/Richards, dass das erste reine Cover-Album der Rolling Stones in ihrer 54-jährigen Geschichte ihr bestes seit Jahrzehnten ist. Im Bewusstsein ihrer Vergänglichkeit jenseits der 70 kehren die Rolling Stones dahin zurück, wo alles begonnen hat vor fünf Jahrzehnten: zum (Rhythm’n’)Blues(-Rock) ihrer frühen Tage. Sie spielen die Lieder ihrer Vorbilder Howlin Wolf, Memphis Slim und Willie Dixon – und sind plötzlich wieder diese kleine, dreckige Band aus London, der auch die Virtuosität von Gastgitarrist Eric Clapton bei zwei Songs keinen Schaden zufügen kann.

BLUE & LONESOME wurde an ein paar Tagen im Dezember 2015 in London „live“ aufgenommen; dem Album kommt die Nicht-Produktion von Don Was ausdrücklich zugute und die neue alte Rolle, in die Mick Jagger schlüpft – als entfesselt performender Mundharmonikaspieler. Ein paar dieser scheintoten Bluesstandards – etwa „Little Rain“ von Jimmy Reed und Willie Dixons „I Can’t Quit You Baby“ – bringen die Stones in atemberaubenden Versionen zu neuem Leben; das titelgebende „Blue And Lonesome“ von Memphis Slim gehört zu den besten Performances der Band ever. Das Gesamtkonzept wird lediglich vom Artwork getrübt: die x-te, pseudo-moderne Variante der Stones-Zunge – in Blau, verstehste? – diesmal besonders hässlich."
-- Albert Koch (chief editor)

Translation via Google Translate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-03 12:00 by Irix.

Posted by: NedKellyBandit ()
Date: December 3, 2016 12:08

Was für eine beschissene Plattenkritik. Ich weiss schon warum ich dieses Magazin seit Jahren nicht mehr kaufe.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 3, 2016 12:25

NedKellyBandit
Was für eine beschissene Plattenkritik. Ich weiss schon warum ich dieses Magazin seit Jahren nicht mehr kaufe.

Das ist ja doch klar!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 3, 2016 12:28

hickorywind
James Kirk
5 stars

Blue and Lonesome is a late in the game home run that many/most people did not think this band was capable of anymore. It proves the critics wrong in a big way and returns the Stones to the status of The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World... This album just feels so authentic. For lack of a better term, it's just so Stonsey in the best possible way.

This album is full of swagger that has at times been missing from recent releases...It doesn't try and compete with the current trends of pop culture (been there/done that) and instead is a mature, yet still vital piece of music from true musicians and not the here today gone tomorrow pop stars of today. Quite frankly it's an album that the Stones should have started making 20+ years ago...Let's hope they can keep the loose/confident feel of this album going for the studio album of originals that is coming next.

After hearing this album today, I'm thrilled to say that it's almost 2017 and the Rolling Stones are alive and well!!!

Couldn't agree more !

Having a mid-morning coffee here in London town whilst listening to it ... it's enough to make me get my ass outa my chair n' go hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley

Boy do they nail it ... this album really DOES return them to greatness. I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo thrilled !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 3, 2016 12:39

What a great record. They could easily release such a cover album
every 2 or 3 years, just to keep it flowing.

The sound:
It´s pure magic to my ears, raw, unfiltered, just their instruments and the vocals.
IF they do another album with new/own songs: They should keep the sound as simple
as it is on B&L. The sound reminds me of Dylan´s sound on TimeOOMind and Love&Theft.
And I love those albums!

The songs:
And they teach me another thing: There is still a lot of Blues you can discover.
I´m glad that they didn´t play Smokestack Lightning or Dust My Broom. Everybody does.
They go "all in", because it´s risky to release 1. unknown
2. bluessongs in 3. 2016

The band:
Listening to it reminds me of how this band is/was/will be: Technically it´s
far from perfect, but it´s tied together by their love and passion for the music and playing it to people.
And they reach me -
after 34 years of being a fan!

And this album is the rebirth of Mick Jagger as harmonica player - and singer.
The harmonica is all over the record and he can really play!
Jagger´s harmonica = 3 minutes in Midnight Rambler! Wrong! I´ve got a new access to him now!
And listen to Little Rain: He sings right in your face, 30cm away from you. Fantastic...
like on Wandering Spirit...in 2016!!

So why can´t they just lock them up for 3 weeks, use the same instruments and lay down
12 new tracks? Just some riffs, some beat, some @#$%& harmonies, pure and raw.

But there are fans who always moan: "Blues album = no ideas", "new album - uh,
bad songs, what about a blues album?".

To all the others: What a great year so far (not counting the tent show for that billionaire).

2017? New album, small tour in Europe, setlist with
2 blues number and 2 new songs --> And I could die as a happy man!

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: December 3, 2016 12:40

GREAT ALBUM!

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: December 3, 2016 12:44

James Kirk
5 stars

thumbs up THIS!

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: December 3, 2016 12:44

My morning espresso is getting better and better. I am so proud of the boyshot smiley

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 3, 2016 13:05

Regarding the download card in the Double vinyl:

redeem.thesoundofvinyl.com

How does that work? Do I have to be member of "social media" (which I´m not)?

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 3, 2016 13:59

song of the day

I Gotta Go

i am so wasted on this album that I woke up this morning rapping on it eye rolling smileygrinning smileysmileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-03 13:59 by maumau.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 3, 2016 14:23

maumau
song of the day

I Gotta Go

i am so wasted on this album that I woke up this morning rapping on it eye rolling smileygrinning smileysmileys with beer

Maurizio be good!!
This is a fu?!€# great album!

"...'cause that hoodoo girl is going to hoodoo the hoodoo man"

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 3, 2016 14:28

TooTough
Regarding the download card in the Double vinyl:

redeem.thesoundofvinyl.com

How does that work? Do I have to be member of "social media" (which I´m not)?

If you scroll down the popup window you can sign in with your e-mail.

Date: December 3, 2016 14:30

I just received my CD today. Overall - hats off, great music. If you dont like this you dont like the blues ...

Only issue for me is the distortion applied on Micks voice on all or vast majority of tracks. If it were applied on some it works OK but some tracks suffer from the distortion. Also loudness war continues.

Aside from mastering issues, this is inevitable record for every real Stones' fan and it can even bring new ones to the table smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-03 14:37 by jumpingjackflash5.

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: December 3, 2016 14:43

wow one of the best album i will put it with exile and sticky boys are cooking in there like the 60s,jagger is on fire singing like a kid of 30 years ,good things to come next year ,BRING IT ON BOYS THE NEW ALBUM more the same bluesy/rock and soul,what a treat it will be for the fans ,hahahaha took them 11 years to bring out album,but they got it right. ALL FORGIVEN TO THE GREATEST BAND OF ALL TIME E.ONE ELSE HAVE FADE AWAY

Date: December 3, 2016 14:45

jumpingjackflash5
I just received my CD today. Overall - hats off, great music. If you dont like this you dont like the blues ...

Only issue for me is the distortion applied on Micks voice on all or vast majority of tracks. If it were applied on some it works OK but some tracks suffer from the distortion. Also loudness war continues.

Aside from mastering issues, this is inevitable record for every real Stones' fan and it can even bring new ones to the table smiling smiley

I like blues and this is not what id listen to if i want blues. Not a bad album, but nothing special.

Date: December 3, 2016 14:46

video: [youtu.be]

This is better

Date: December 3, 2016 14:47

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 3, 2016 14:50

...this album underscores how much we've missed the real Jagger....he hits notes he hasn't bothered to hit in 30 years...stunning...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6566676869707172737475...LastNext
Current Page: 70 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1442
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home