Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7071727374757677787980...LastNext
Current Page: 75 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Date: December 4, 2016 15:02

I Gotta Go is a fast track.

Date: December 4, 2016 15:03

Blueranger
This album will be a footnote.
It's not a great release.
Sorry.

This is not the place to give negative musical comments or try to make a bit of (ironic) fun regarding this release.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-04 15:06 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: December 4, 2016 15:28

Sorry, it is. But has lowest DR.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 4, 2016 16:16

Why is it a 2 LP release? Even with ten minutes more the material had easily fit on 1 LP. One side with 10 or 12 minutes is quite absurd.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-04 16:19 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 4, 2016 16:20

Redhotcarpet
muenke
I really like most of the songs on the CD, particulary the uptempo numbers. The slow ones are - for me - hard to take, but nevertheless they are performed very well by the group, it´s just not my kind of musical taste. The production is great and raw, they must have had a ball recording this stuff.

And I think it is a little bit unfair to bash people who dislike the new CD, because you really don´t have to be a fan of old school blues music to be a "real" Stones fan! This discussion is childish. I know there are many blues people around, blues is the origin not just of the Stones, but of rock music in general ... but "nobody" is listening to this kind of music nowadays.

Yeah but i am actually a blues fan but this album is not blues to me. Maybe partly because of Mick not really slowing down and letting himself go like in the old day when he was young and tried to sound old.

I wonder if part of the reason for your stated experience of the album may have something to do with the interesting perspective Mick himself touches on in the Rolling Stone interview with them on
[www.rollingstone.com]

(Quote: ) "And in 2016, Jagger is finally ready to concede that the Rolling Stones have something to add to this music. "The thing about the blues," he says, "is it changes in very small increments. People reinterpret what they know – Elmore James reinterpreted Robert Johnson licks, as did Muddy Waters. So I'm not saying we're making the jumps that they made, but we can't help but reinterpret these songs." (End of quote.)

Apparently, it seems, meaning that the Stones in younger years, apart from a certain pop element, interpreted the blues, whereas they now have got musical experience to try to reinterpret songs from that music form.

[Myself, from my three to four listenings as a completely amateur listener with scarce musical knowledge, although with some taste, I do not know yet to what extent I appreciate the album and the band's reinterpretative approach to the blues. And whether I will end up discovering any difference, denoting more or less a certain, possibly minor, development of the blues as music form.] Some posters may hopefully assist if there are, in contrast to negative deviations, any positive nuances reflecting something new, to be aware of.

Posted by: Georges ()
Date: December 4, 2016 16:37

To-night, Sunday December 4th, Mick Jagger on French TV TF1 at 6:00 p.m. (Sept à huit)
[www.jeanmarcmorandini.com]

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 4, 2016 16:39

about blues and welfare

I always thought blues was about the release from misery and poverty
never felt bluer after spinning a blues record
though I dont deny the connection between art and living condition, if that argument is true (the TRUE blues can come only from poor black people suffering) you should have to dismiss a hell lot of great music.
and spealing of music that has firm roots in the blues you should have to dismiss things like beggars banquet and exile to name a couple not ot here

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: December 4, 2016 16:39

Really a good album.
Little Rain is just fantastic.
Like very much the rough guitars sound.
How Stu would have liked playing on this record.
Mick is really the band engine.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-04 16:49 by powerage78.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 4, 2016 16:45

DandelionPowderman

I freakin' love this song. How's that for a lazy review ;-)
You fill in the techno bits.
I'll say: ohhhh yeahhh.
I Gotta Go.

Date: December 4, 2016 16:48

today I am listening to B&L in between spinning of jimmy reed magica sam little walter junior wells..etc
to my ears there's no need to ignore or deny the differences - of any kind - to enjoy them all

With each listen, B&L appears to me more and more as a very well sequenced compilation and catches a very good series of performance by the band

also, might soundobvious here but.., to me mick's voice and harp, keith and ronnie's guitar sound and charlie's noise are a + factor per se

keep rollin smileys with beer

Date: December 4, 2016 16:50

35love
DandelionPowderman

I Gotta Go.

ooooooooh yeaahhhh

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 4, 2016 16:54

maumau
about blues and welfare

though I dont deny the connection between art and living condition, if that argument is true (the TRUE blues can come only from poor black people suffering) you should have to dismiss a hell lot of great music.
and spealing of music that has firm roots in the blues you should have to dismiss things like beggars banquet and exile to name a couple not ot here

I always thought some people feel things more deeply than others.
More connected, their hearts are tender-er, maybe we're smarter.
Maybe we drink more because of it, get down in that bind, try and crawl back.
I've seen poor people that seem happy.
I've seen people with more opportunities screw it all up.
Can you plug into the human condition of life on earth?
Have you fallen in love and had your heart broken?
Are you awake?
Da blues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-04 16:55 by 35love.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: December 4, 2016 17:01

I can't complain about anything on this album. We're actually quite lucky we even have one from the band and I'm going to love every second of it. It's all going to end soon and I don't take from granted that there is going to be a next one. As far as I'm concerned...it's great. I'm past the stage of being a critic of the band's efforts. It serves no purpose at this point. Just enjoy what it is...

Book with the Deluxe release of B & L
Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: December 3, 2016 03:39

I reluctantly ordered the deluxe version with the book and thought I would be majorly disappointed (not with the CD, but the book) and much to my surprise it's a great little book - informative and some awesome photos/writing about the original artists. I may need to pick up a regular jewel case version too for my collection, but glad to have this version.

Actually I guess this is a good place to ask - is the standard version in a jewel case and if not - are any of the import versions in a jewel case?

Re: Book with the Deluxe release of B & L
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 3, 2016 12:35

Lynd8

Actually I guess this is a good place to ask - is the standard version in a jewel case and if not - are any of the import versions in a jewel case?

From what I've seen until now the standard version has a Digipak, but there seems also to be a normal Jewel Case for the same price.

Digipak: [www.jpc.de]

Jewel Case: [www.jpc.de]

Worldwide shipping: [www.jpc.de]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-03 12:50 by Irix.

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: December 3, 2016 14:21

Got the deluxe too but a little bit disappointed with photos set. I thought people could get different pictures but same as on the inner sleeve of the lp version, then same pictures for everybody.
Could you confirm! For the price paid, it's a little bit confused smiley

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: December 3, 2016 19:38

I was wondering whether it is worth it to get the book; thanks for your thoughts Lynd8. Anyone else got the deluxe book?

Date: December 4, 2016 17:14

35love
maumau
about blues and welfare

I always thought some people feel things more deeply than others.
More connected, their hearts are tender-er, maybe we're smarter.
Maybe we drink more because of it, get down in that bind, try and crawl back.
I've seen poor people that seem happy.
I've seen people with more opportunities screw it all up.
Can you plug into the human condition of life on earth?
Have you fallen in love and had your heart broken?
Are you awake?
Da blues.

thumbs up
nuff said
smileys with beer

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 4, 2016 17:44

kevinkamphuis
Haha I didn't use Audacitywinking smiley.
There are way better tools for the job.

I haven't done any investigating other than getting Audacity. What else is there that is as good or better or what you use? I've used it for editing, mainly, one particular edit was from a live recording for a Westwood One show where some curse words were reversed... so I edited them to be correct, which is hilarious, but I've also tweaked some things just for fun with it, made part of a song sound like an AM radio... boosted some bass to shake the house on some notes, etc.

Date: December 4, 2016 17:46

Monsoon Ragoon
Why is it a 2 LP release? Even with ten minutes more the material had easily fit on 1 LP. One side with 10 or 12 minutes is quite absurd.

The mastering can be better with less songs... more space.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 4, 2016 17:50

Monsoon Ragoon

They can milk more from it, the die hards will buy anything at any cost.

Date: December 4, 2016 19:06

35love
DandelionPowderman

I Gotta Go.

That intro makes me happy grinning smiley

Date: December 4, 2016 19:08

mr_dja
I really like this album. One of my all-time favorite bands playing music and songs that they enjoy and have been inspired by.

There it is. The quips about millionaires playing blues... forget about it. This isn't Clapton, it's the Stones.

Having a good time, doing a damn fine job of it to boot.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 4, 2016 19:11

GasLightStreet
mr_dja
I really like this album. One of my all-time favorite bands playing music and songs that they enjoy and have been inspired by.

There it is. The quips about millionaires playing blues... forget about it. This isn't Clapton, it's the Stones.

Having a good time, doing a damn fine job of it to boot.

thumbs up

Date: December 4, 2016 19:43

GasLightStreet
kevinkamphuis

I haven't done any investigating other than getting Audacity. What else is there that is as good or better or what you use? I've used it for editing, mainly, one particular edit was from a live recording for a Westwood One show where some curse words were reversed... so I edited them to be correct, which is hilarious, but I've also tweaked some things just for fun with it, made part of a song sound like an AM radio... boosted some bass to shake the house on some notes, etc.

He's probably using a digital mastering software. Unless he has set up a real mastering lab. I don't know.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 4, 2016 20:00

The Rolling Stones: Blue & Lonesome review – a labour of love

Cinema requires the suspension of disbelief to operate. Music, by contrast, often needs a suspension of cynicism in order to provide its serotonin hit.

You might argue that the Rolling Stones have long been a gimlet-eyed heritage operation, with Messrs Jagger, Richards, Watts and Wood shareholders in a profitable legend that pumps out product and tours to a moneyed audience of heavily co-invested baby boomers willing to shore up that giant mouth logo with their cash. The zeitgeist largely goes on elsewhere.

Occasionally, though, the Stones put something truly electrifying to all comers: Keith Richards’s 2010 autobiography, for instance, or this unexpected album of blues covers, recorded over a three-day period in December 2015. If you’re wavering on track one – a good-time cover of Just Your Fool, originally popularised by harmonica player Little Walter, a mainstay of this album – then track two, Howlin’ Wolf’s Commit a Crime, seals the deal. In comes the disreputable guitar of Keith Richards, circling like a jackal. It’s not hard to imagine Charlie Watts cranking out this strutting beat with a sly grin.

Women are quite often evil in the blues, but this lady has actually tried to poison Howlin’ Wolf (drain cleaner in his coffee). It’s to Jagger’s credit that he doesn’t ham it up excessively. He just sounds pissed off, like he’s gargled that drain cleaner before whipping out his harmonica. On I Gotta Go, that mouth organ becomes a freight train.

Nobody has ever doubted how tight the Stones can be, but these are 12 tracks in which they swing hard and, moments later, turn on a sixpence – or a dime, given this album’s love of Chicago. Blue & Lonesome loops the Stones back around to their creation myth, when childhood friends Jagger and Richards recognised each other at Dartford station – Keith with his guitar, and Mick carrying two imports from Chicago’s Chess Records (a plaque marks the spot).

This labour of love finds the Stones and their associates – bassist Darryl Jones and twinkling pianist Chuck Leavell – having a high old time, playing tunes they know inside out; fellow obsessive Eric Clapton dropped in from the studio next door to dash off a couple of solos; one on Everybody Knows About My Good Thing. Jagger, meanwhile, wrings offhand innuendo out of lines such as “call the plumber, darlin’, must be a leak in my drain”.

Cynics might wonder if Blue & Lonesome is acting as bait for the recently released Rolling Stones in Mono box set, where vivid blues covers by the nascent Stones figure. Throughout, the sound on Blue & Lonesome captures the clatter of a largely live band loyally rendering the music of their heroes. Despite the title, and against the odds, it is an album full of joy.

[www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: frtg55 ()
Date: December 4, 2016 20:02

Oh, my god!

It makes me so sad, to read so much bullsh.. here!
Boring? So lala...??
I don't know, what are you doin' here or of what kind of band you're a fan of.

THIS IS THE BEST STONES ALBUM SINCE TATTOO YOO!

What we have here is the real essence of the band.
The real stuff.
No affected singing or trying to be trendy.

Everything of the band came out of the blues.
It's their basics.
This is 100% Stones.

I love this album!
And because of exactly this kind of music,
I'm proud to be a fan for nearly 40 years now!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 4, 2016 20:08

frtg55
Oh, my god!

It makes me so sad, to read so much bullsh.. here!
Boring? So lala...??
I don't know, what are you doin' here or of what kind of band you're a fan of.

THIS IS THE BEST STONES ALBUM SINCE TATTOO YOO!

What we have here is the real essence of the band.
The real stuff.
No affected singing or trying to be trendy.

Everything of the band came out of the blues.
It's their basics.
This is 100% Stones.

I love this album!
And because of exactly this kind of music,
I'm proud to be a fan for nearly 40 years now!
smileys with beersmileys with beerhot smiley
Jeroen

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 4, 2016 20:17

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
kevinkamphuis

He's probably using a digital mastering software. Unless he has set up a real mastering lab. I don't know.

At least he could answer. Otherwise it's just elitist craptalk to raise himself above "common people" like us.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 4, 2016 20:29

ARD, heute, 23.05 Uhr

ttt

[www.daserste.de]

Mick Jagger exklusiv im "ttt"-Interview

Die Rolling Stones und ihr neues Album "Blue & Lonesome"
Mick Jagger

Start Me Up. Er gibt nur eines und wir haben es bekommen: das Interview
mit Mick Jagger. Nach wochenlangem Gezerre, kurzfristigen Absagen auf
gepackten Koffern, geplatzten Terminen, spricht Jagger mit "ttt".
Endlich. Über sich und das neue Album der Rolling Stones, das vielleicht
ihr letztes sein wird. "Blue & Lonesome". Im Zuge einer rauschhaften
Spontan-Session haben die Stones in nur drei Tagen dieses Album aufgenommen.
Es führt sie zurück zu ihren Wurzeln in den 60ern, zu ihren wichtigsten
Inspirationsquellen in dieser Zeit, zu den Vertretern des Chicago Blues, wie
Howlin' Wolf, Jimmy Reed und Little Walter.

Sie haben zwölf weniger bekannte Songs dieser Legenden aufgenommen. Es ist ihr
erstes Studioalbum seit elf Jahren und ihr bestes seit sehr, sehr langer Zeit.
Tolle Gitarren-Rangeleien von Keith Richards und Ron Wood. Herrliches Gerumpel
vom großen Schlagzeug-Stoiker Charlie Watts.

Und Jagger? In Topform und göttlich an der Mundharmonika. Denkmalpflege –
supercool. "ttt" hat Mick Jagger in seinem Londoner Studio getroffen. You make
a grown man cry.

Bericht: Andreas Krieger

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7071727374757677787980...LastNext
Current Page: 75 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1899
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home