Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 7, 2016 14:16

reg thorpe
powerage78
A good cover.

thumbs up

Yep! hot smiley

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 7, 2016 14:21

Stone601
[vimeo.com]

This certainly confirms what I expected. It's well done, hats off, but it adds nothing to the original by Little Walter. And I prefer the original.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: October 7, 2016 14:44

HMN

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 7, 2016 14:45

marcovandereijk
Straycat13
EddieByword
For anyone that missed it............... [vimeo.com]

thx for that.
that's the stones that i like

It sounds to me Mick is singing through the microphone he also uses for the harmonica,
with some overdrive effect as a result.
Gives his voice a masculine taste, that I've been missing on the most recent studio
recordings.

Yep, brilliant, sounds like some of the live in the studio recordings they did for the BBC in the early '60s - Cops & robbers etc.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-07 14:46 by EddieByword.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: October 7, 2016 15:06

bitusa2012
Can someone please tell me how there can be a 75 page booklet with the deluxe set? There are 2 pages to every sleeve of paper. How can we have an odd numbered number of pages???

Error with the printers. This happened with Spinal Tap. Very common.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: October 7, 2016 15:42

I dig the new tune, I'm not a huge blues fan - I like some unexpected chord changes in my music - but this is cool, and the overall sound is good and crunchy.

I wish they would chuck on a harmony vocal though.... That bridge part ('Must be tryin to drive me crazy..') is just dying for a Keith (or Mick) harmony vocal.

I guess with a no-overdub policy, that aint gonna happen. A shame, because one of my favourite elements of the Stones best music is the backup vox, Keith wailing away with Mick.

Date: October 7, 2016 16:11

matxil
Stone601
[vimeo.com]

This certainly confirms what I expected. It's well done, hats off, but it adds nothing to the original by Little Walter. And I prefer the original.

It adds Micks voice, his beautiful harp playing, Keith's raw guitar, Charlie's lovely style and the Stones's sound, which I enjoy very much.

Date: October 7, 2016 16:13

peoplewitheyes
I dig the new tune, I'm not a huge blues fan - I like some unexpected chord changes in my music - but this is cool, and the overall sound is good and crunchy.

I wish they would chuck on a harmony vocal though.... That bridge part ('Must be tryin to drive me crazy..') is just dying for a Keith (or Mick) harmony vocal.

I guess with a no-overdub policy, that aint gonna happen. A shame, because one of my favourite elements of the Stones best music is the backup vox, Keith wailing away with Mick.

You got the unexpected chord changes here anyway grinning smiley

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: October 7, 2016 17:04

"Just Your Fool" is a nearly note-for-note remake of the Little Walter original right down to the awkward cold start. Walter played a better harp than Mick, however.

Here for yourselves:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 7, 2016 17:09

DandelionPowderman
matxil
Stone601
[vimeo.com]

It adds Micks voice, his beautiful harp playing, Keith's raw guitar, Charlie's lovely style and the Stones's sound, which I enjoy very much.

Great version. Let's hope the 11 other are just as good.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: October 7, 2016 17:14

Let's hope them going on this blues streak did indeed get the creative juices flowing and they'll surprise us with some good original tunes in a few months!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 7, 2016 17:38

matxil
Stone601
[vimeo.com]

This is the original.

[www.bluesforpeace.com]

Re: Rolling Stones new album title: Blue and Lonesome
Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: October 7, 2016 17:43

Right - I stand corrected. Red DEvils. It's worth tracking down.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: October 7, 2016 17:47

For the audiophile/collector/enthusiast - I think the sound on SHMs can be tremendous. CD Japan has the deluxe version available for pre-order for $67+ and there's also the regular SHM for about $25.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-07 17:57 by DEmerson.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 7, 2016 17:49

lem motlow
the artwork on the new disc is VERY IMPORTANT....

No, it's not ... at all.

Look at the love on this board for Crosseyed Heart. Not one person (unless I missed it) disliked that album due to it having the worst cover in history of the Stones (or Stones related) releases.

The cover has 0 to do w/ anything about the music, other than it being a novelty and/or topic of discussion, that either some will like and others won't. And once again, obviously to each their own, but to me it's a brilliant simplistic cover for Blue & Lonesome - I love it (not that i would have cared if it were a cover i hated!

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 7, 2016 18:02

DandelionPowderman
matxil
Stone601
[vimeo.com]

Oh, it's very well done, but I don't think it's better than the original. That's not to discredit Mick, he's doing a great job, but Little Walter has a great voice and he absolutely rules on the harmonica. And the rest is pretty much the same as on the original.
I can sort of see how this will turn "future generations to the blues" and it is enjoyable, but it don think it really adds anything to this:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-07 18:02 by matxil.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 7, 2016 18:14

I prefer the original by far.

rbk
"Just Your Fool" is a nearly note-for-note remake of the Little Walter original right down to the awkward cold start. Walter played a better harp than Mick, however.

Here for yourselves:

[www.youtube.com]

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 7, 2016 18:28

"I love the fact that they are highlighting the great Little Walter with both the first single (apparently) and the album title. Credit where credit is due. Little Walter, criminally underrated and forgotten by the mainstream, thus gets the exposure he deserves. The fact that Little Walter was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame as a "sideman" was an insult. Yes, his harmonica playing on other people's records is great, but it is not his greatest achievement. He recorded over 100 songs (all great) for Chess as a band leader. He wrote the songs, he sang the songs, he arranged them, he lead the band and he played the harmonica. He was a good guitar player, too. His greatest achievement is the creation of those over 100 recorded sides for Chess. The creation of a visionary, modern sound. The Rolling Stones put Little Walter where he belongs – center stage."

AMEEN

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: October 7, 2016 18:47

It's a good cover. The Stones can fart out 12 bar blues songs like this in their sleep. It's great they have something new but for me, blues songs tend to be quite repetitive and boring, covers of blues songs even more so.

I'm hoping not ever cover has harp in it. Piano is a critical blues song element (please not Chuck Leavell!) and some solos by both Keith and Ronnie would add some nice icing on old cake.

Sound like Charlie hits the rim unintentionally during his first snare flurry in Just Your Fool, glad they kept that in.

Date: October 7, 2016 18:48

LeonidP
lem motlow

No, it's not ... at all.

Look at the love on this board for Crosseyed Heart. Not one person (unless I missed it) disliked that album due to it having the worst cover in history of the Stones (or Stones related) releases.

That's because it didn't have the worst cover in the history of Stones or Stones related.

That belongs solely to DIRTY WORK (and PRIMITIVE COOL and hell, STEEL WHEELS).

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 7, 2016 18:54

matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
Stone601
[vimeo.com]

Oh, it's very well done, but I don't think it's better than the original. That's not to discredit Mick, he's doing a great job, but Little Walter has a great voice and he absolutely rules on the harmonica. And the rest is pretty much the same as on the original.
I can sort of see how this will turn "future generations to the blues" and it is enjoyable, but it don think it really adds anything to this:

[www.youtube.com]

That being the case paying homage instead of reinterpreting probably the best route to travel here. Once again though the Stones will be introducing more listener's to past blues artists. The payback continues…..>grinning smiley<

Date: October 7, 2016 18:57

In fact, not many of their LP covers are very good. EXILE is not exactly what I would consider "good" but it does seem to represent the content of the LP: a giant mish-mash.

LET IT BLEED is excellent. SOME GIRLS is excellent. TATTOO YOU is excellent. IORR is pretty good. UNDERCOVER is hilariously brutal and good. STICKY FINGERS is probably their most identifiable LP cover but is it good? It's famous for all the other stuff - so I guess it's good.

Aside from the band photo covers, of which possibly just AFTERMATH, BUTTONS and BLACK AND BLUE work, the rest of the LP covers are pretty bad.

BLUE AND LONESOME might be kind of "inspired" by this one?

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 7, 2016 19:13

Whoever created the cover for Blue And Lonesome, it took him less then two minutes. But in a store it will be an eye catcher. Btw, I like it.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 7, 2016 19:28

matxil
Stone601
[vimeo.com]

I agree, and exactly what I've been saying all along - like a remake of a classic movie (which usually ends up bad), but fortunately this case they did an adequate job.
As with 95% of all Stones covers, the originals are always better imo. Glad to hear it for sure, but interesting that it took a bunch of blues covers for the Stones to come up with something worthwhile.
Being on the west coast, I'd say the Stones have become the best blues cover band this side of the Mississippi!

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: October 7, 2016 19:29

The cover could and should be better.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 7, 2016 19:36

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 7, 2016 19:36

GasLightStreet
LeonidP
lem motlow

No, it's not ... at all.

That's because it didn't have the worst cover in the history of Stones or Stones related.

That belongs solely to DIRTY WORK (and PRIMITIVE COOL and hell, STEEL WHEELS).

Agreed.

And what's not to like about the cover of Crosseyed Heart?
A simple black and white picture of a grinning Keith w/his arms crossed and his gnarled fingers on full display.
Every picture tells a story, and this one says alot about Keith and his solo album.

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: October 7, 2016 19:42

HMS
Whoever created the cover for Blue And Lonesome, it took him less then two minutes. But in a store it will be an eye catcher. Btw, I like it.

These days successful record covers are designed first and foremost so that they stand out when viewed online and in small sizes. In that context simplicity and high contrast are the most important factors. I think they designed the B&L cover with that in mind.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 7, 2016 19:56

shattered
Can someone please tell me how there can be a 75 page booklet with the deluxe set? There are 2 pages to every sleeve of paper. How can we have an odd numbered number of pages???

Typically each sheet of paper that's bound into a book in the center yields FOUR pages.

75 divided by 4 = 18.75
however I'm not suggesting that they used 183/4 sheets ...

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: October 7, 2016 20:21

Yes

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2441
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home