Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: henrik87 ()
Date: October 8, 2016 09:23

Just Your Fool is available in 16bit CD quality on qobuz.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 8, 2016 11:16

schillid
If I were given a choice between

( A ) Stones not releasing a new album
( B ) Stones release a new album but with mediocre album art

... I would choose ( B ).

That said, I think the cover is bland, boring...unimaginative

I would also agree with choice B and the follow up statement.
As I mentioned previously, they spent alot money, time, and effort hiring artists to come up with all those litho designs for all the shows over the last year or so, Some were better than others, but at least they seemed to care - they even had young Charlotte Watts design one! If they would have put a tenth of all that energy into the new album cover they might have ended up with a winner. Instead they seemingly throw in the towel and put out a generic blue tongue. I'm sure the album will be fun to listen to, and perhaps there's some really great stuff, but one would never know by looking at it. It's almost like an advertisment for blue toilet bowl cleaner!

Posted by: Freebird1959 ()
Date: October 8, 2016 11:37

And I'm A Fool To Cry

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 8, 2016 14:18

The album cover, jeez. First of all what's on the disc is priority #1 for me. No doubt this will be a great cool blues album. Listening to the original Just Your Fool and the stones single, it's been said here the single is bland and too direct. It may be direct but to my ears very much has the Stonesy touch to it where they own it!!

Okay the album cover: An evening Chicago street scene, but the lights on the lamp poles are blue with a faint detail of the blue tongue. Ooooo la la smoking smiley

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: October 8, 2016 15:37

henrik87
Just Your Fool is available in 16bit CD quality on qobuz.

Thanks for that. It's here: [www.qobuz.com]

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: October 8, 2016 17:13

[therollingstonesshop.com]

Blue & Lonesome Digital Album.

Purchase now and receive an instant download of the single Just A Fool For You.

You will also receive an instant download of

~~ Hate To See You Go on 10/21 and

~~ Ride 'Em All Down on 11/25*

Digital downloads are not available for customers outside of the U.S.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 8, 2016 20:18

latebloomer
HMS
In olden days when vinyl ruled cover-art was very important, unfortunately that has changed obviously. On the other hand the Stones were never famous for having great cover-art, most of their albums have horrible cover.

But I don´t really care as long as there are still new Stones-albums to come. They can sell it in a plastic bag if they want, I don´t mind.

Whaaat?? EOMS, Beggars, Sticky Fingers, to name a few...all stunningly original album covers that are instantly recognizable to this day.

Give the kook some credit - he did say "most of their albums have horrible cover".

They have a a number of outstanding LP covers: BEGGARS BANQUET (I like both of them), LET IT BLEED (probably their funniest LP cover since it was to be called AUTOMATIC CHANGER), STICKY FINGERS, IORR, SOME GIRLS and TATTOO YOU.

They have a few that are pretty good: EOMS, UNDERCOVER, BETWEEN THE BUTTONS. GOATS HEAD SOUP is memorable because of that yellow, I would think, not because of Mick's face on the cover (the first one of two with just his face on the cover). BLACK AND BLUE.

EMOTIONAL RESCUE is probably their weirdest cover.

Probably their most striking and memorable covers are SOME GIRLS and TATTOO YOU because of the color scheme. It helps that they're kick ass albums as well.

The pre-BUTTONS covers are pretty much bland and everything post-UNDERCOVER is just flat out painful and embarrassing (DIRTY WORK), confusing and stupid (STEEL WHEELS, VOODOO LOUNGE) or just not very good (BRIDGES, BANG).

I picked 12 that are great to good, 1 that is neither, and that leaves 13 covers that are "horrible", which, mathematically, is "most".

They've not released an LP with just the logo on it. So now they're doing it. At least it sticks out and is not as ugly as the last, oh, 5 LPs.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: October 8, 2016 20:54

GasLightStreet
They have a a number of outstanding LP covers: BEGGARS BANQUET (I like both of them), LET IT BLEED (probably their funniest LP cover since it was to be called AUTOMATIC CHANGER), STICKY FINGERS, IORR, SOME GIRLS and TATTOO YOU.

They have a few that are pretty good: EOMS, UNDERCOVER, BETWEEN THE BUTTONS. GOATS HEAD SOUP is memorable because of that yellow, I would think, not because of Mick's face on the cover (the first one of two with just his face on the cover). BLACK AND BLUE.

EMOTIONAL RESCUE is probably their weirdest cover.

Probably their most striking and memorable covers are SOME GIRLS and TATTOO YOU because of the color scheme. It helps that they're kick ass albums as well.

The pre-BUTTONS covers are pretty much bland and everything post-UNDERCOVER is just flat out painful and embarrassing (DIRTY WORK), confusing and stupid (STEEL WHEELS, VOODOO LOUNGE) or just not very good (BRIDGES, BANG).

I picked 12 that are great to good, 1 that is neither, and that leaves 13 covers that are "horrible", which, mathematically, is "most".

They've not released an LP with just the logo on it. So now they're doing it. At least it sticks out and is not as ugly as the last, oh, 5 LPs.

I differ with you on some of the details, but I agree that by and large their early covers are unremarkable at best, the mid-period covers range from OK to great, and their late period covers run the gamut from bad to terrible. "Confusing" is the perfect word for the ones that aren't outright hideous.

I do think that the latest cover is bad in a special way, though. It seems to show an almost complete indifference to the latest release on the part of the band and their inner circle. I can't avoid thinking that Jagger emailed the office and told them, "Was will send you the final tracks shortly. Come up with some cover art," and let it go at that.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 8, 2016 21:37

Maindefender
The album cover, jeez. First of all what's on the disc is priority #1 for me. No doubt this will be a great cool blues album. Listening to the original Just Your Fool and the stones single, it's been said here the single is bland and too direct. It may be direct but to my ears very much has the Stonesy touch to it where they own it!!

Okay the album cover: An evening Chicago street scene, but the lights on the lamp poles are blue with a faint detail of the blue tongue. Ooooo la la smoking smiley

Yes the music is always priority #1, and from what I've heard it's very pleasing to the ears.
Haven't been able to say that about a Stones album for an eternity, but Keith's amazing Crosseyed Heart was very fulfilling and up there Tattoo You.
With that said, the cover has some importance to some us, and your cover design scenario would have been absolutely great -they should have consulted with you!!! cool smiley

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 8, 2016 22:26

Maindefender

i like it,and have the band standing on the street,back-ups and everybody just hanging out...or something,anything but the cover of 40 licks with a different color tongue.of course the music is the main concern but why not just nail it this time,the full package -art promoting art.

Date: October 9, 2016 01:57

lem motlow
Maindefender

i like it,and have the band standing on the street,back-ups and everybody just hanging out...or something,anything but the cover of 40 licks with a different color tongue.of course the music is the main concern but why not just nail it this time,the full package -art promoting art.

Wow, this is what it must be like for Mick and Keith writing together. I come up with a song and you want to change it to your liking....lol. Okay, instead of the back-ups and if any humans have to be in the photo, why not Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ron hanging with the blues artists on the album. Howlin', Lightning, Slim, etc. oooooh la la smoking smiley

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: October 9, 2016 03:02

The majority of sales will be downloads. The cover is designed to function 1 inch square.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 9, 2016 03:06

rbk
The majority of sales will be downloads. The cover is designed to function 1 inch square.

Best explanation.

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: October 9, 2016 04:01

Well, if we can't say anything bad about the song preview for the new album, then we can at least rip on the cover art and have several pages about the worst album covers.

Hey! When the album finally does get released, we can devote 5 or more pages to the worst album liner notes.

It's only rock n' roll, but we like (to criticize) it.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: October 9, 2016 07:31

Why are the digital downloads not available to those of us outside the US?? Pisses me off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-09 07:31 by StonedAsia.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 9, 2016 09:25

JJF intro, SFTD solo, Mixed Emotions...Keef what are you doing?! sad smiley

Date: October 9, 2016 09:26

StonedAsia
Why are the digital downloads not available to those of us outside the US?? Pisses me off.

Have you checked iTunes?

Date: October 9, 2016 09:29

CD now up on Amazon US, but not the deluxe yet.....woof

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 9, 2016 10:56

KRiffhard
JJF intro, SFTD solo, Mixed Emotions...Keef what are you doing?! sad smiley

...Wrong thread, perhaps?

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 9, 2016 15:08

Will Japan get a bonus track??

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: October 9, 2016 15:14

TooTough
Will Japan get a bonus track??

a sticker..

External Bonus bonus detail is to be announced

[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 9, 2016 16:33

Bonus content is a Dance Mix of "Just Your Fool."

Yes, I'm kidding.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-09 16:33 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: October 9, 2016 17:36

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-05 19:43 by blueswithafeeling.

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: October 9, 2016 20:45

rbk

I work in design/advertising and the reason you give is correct.

These days successful record covers are designed first and foremost so that they stand out when viewed online and in small sizes. For example in the thumbnails that pop up in search results in Google, iTunes, Amazon etc. In that context simplicity and high contrast are the most important factors. Simplicity = the tongue logo (since they recently licensed the tongue logo to h&m for use on Rolling Stones T-shirts, even the kids know the tongue logo). High contrast = blue, red and white.

Posted by: bart-man ()
Date: October 9, 2016 21:04

I wonder how the Stones version will sound on the album from "everybody knows about my good thing"
This is a live version from Mick with Gary Moore. I couldn't find the studio version.
video: [youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-10 05:27 by bart-man.

Posted by: fela ()
Date: October 9, 2016 23:16

I hope (wish) Keith sings "Blue & Lonesome"..
I love MJagger but I think his today singing is not adapted to this "bad stuff".
Did he feel the blues anymore ?
My opinion is maybe influenced by the fact that I listened this song many times this summer watching Keith puting the vinyl records on the Netflix reportage.. this part is maybe my favorite stones footage ever... its like you'r with him in the room... it is so deep

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 10, 2016 01:05

fela
I hope (wish) Keith sings "Blue & Lonesome"..
I love MJagger but I think his today singing is not adapted to this "bad stuff".
Did he feel the blues anymore ?
My opinion is maybe influenced by the fact that I listened this song many times this summer watching Keith puting the vinyl records on the Netflix reportage.. this part is maybe my favorite stones footage ever... its like you'r with him in the room... it is so deep

I agree..this scene is really special.
Looking forward to the album...

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: October 10, 2016 02:54

i downloaded the vinyl from their official store and it's being shipped to me in Canada from the UK but I'm not American so i don't get the free digital downloads? I have spotify premium so it doesn't significantly affect me but i'm just wondering

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: October 10, 2016 06:01

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: October 10, 2016 09:20

KingmanBarstow
[www.theguardian.com]

Blimey. I followed a link in that article to [www.britishgrovestudios.co.uk] where it was recorded, and I spent my teenage years living about a mile from there!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2122
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home