Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 14, 2016 10:21

TheBlockbuster
DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster
The album cover is odd, but ''Just Your Fool'' is great and I'm so excited for this album. Who gives a crap about the cover anyway? They really can't go wrong with all these great songs. Commit A Crime with Mick Jagger in the White House was fabulous and maybe it will be even better with the Stones.

As there were no overdubs, it would have been nice if they had filmed all the sessions and then included a bonus dvd with the deluxe edition. 40 minutes footage of the Stones playing old blues in a studio would be a delight to see.

Read above.

Not a lot of them I presume, the guitars appears to be untouched, why else leave in Keith's early switch to D?

For 'dynamics', maybe? A lick of Rolling Stones uniqueness? Because that's just what he does best? smoking smiley

Date: October 14, 2016 10:22

KindaBlue
shortfatfanny
BILLPERKS
I'm already bored with Just You're Fool..

Then try Just Your Fool...much better.

Completists already have alternate versions to hunt down - with and without apostrophes!

winking smiley

>grinning smiley<>grinning smiley<>grinning smiley<

Date: October 14, 2016 10:27

RoughJusticeOnYa
KindaBlue
shortfatfanny
BILLPERKS

Completists already have alternate versions to hunt down - with and without apostrophes!

winking smiley

Probably "Just You're Fool" is the early take with Keith on vocals... smoking smiley

(They keep it in the vaults for the 'Mega Deluxe Remastered Anniversary Edition' box, as bonus track for the Japanese limited edition 'Vinyl + Blu-Ray only', including T-shirt, baseball cap & "Blue & Lonesome" cucumber sandwich.)

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 14, 2016 12:42

RoughJusticeOnYa
RoughJusticeOnYa
KindaBlue
shortfatfanny
BILLPERKS

winking smiley

Probably "Just You're Fool" is the early take with Keith on vocals... smoking smiley

(They keep it in the vaults for the 'Mega Deluxe Remastered Anniversary Edition' box, as bonus track for the Japanese limited edition 'Vinyl + Blu-Ray only', including T-shirt, baseball cap & "Blue & Lonesome" cucumber sandwich.)

Most likely from the "You're a Fool To Cry" sessions...

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: October 14, 2016 17:30

So far, based on "Just Your Fool" and "Ride Em On Down" live at Desert Trip, this sounds like the best Stones album in ages.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 14, 2016 18:10

haven´t read this all, but:

What tune is Keith gonna be singing???

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 14, 2016 18:13

HMS
The VL-cover is one of their most impressive/best covers ever. I actually love it more than most of the music I find on the album.

It is not. Although your second bit there makes sense.

HMS
Never cared much for the B2B-cover however.
How surprising.

HMS
The Blues-album-cover is great. Simple, minimalistic and it tells everything there is to know. It´s the Stones playing the Blues. How many cover show the band-members standing or sitting around? Too many and it´s always the same. I am glad they did not had the idea of using a sepia colored picture reminding of the 30s - so many have already done this "authentic"-shit.

You really need to stop plagiarizing.

Date: October 14, 2016 18:21

Rocky Dijon
Matt is very close to Mick, professionally and socially. Apart from Dave Stewart, he's Mick's other closest collaborator. Since STEEL WHEELS/URBAN JUNGLE, he's worked with Mick on "Angel in My Heart," "Streets of Berlin," all of GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY where he not only played keyboards, but co-wrote, arranged, and co-produced a number of tracks. Matt brought Steve Knightley and Mick Dolan to GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY as he brought Phil Beer to STEEL WHEELS, pulling from his background in folk/prog circles. He produced the demos for Mick's three songs for FORTY LICKS and two of the singles for A BIGGER BANG. He assisted in selecting and prepping tracks to recut for EXILE and SOME GIRLS.

That partially explains why the SOME GIRLS extras album is so weak.

Some of the things Plink talked about in his blog are quite revealing about him. This one, The band had gone to London to “mess around” and see if there could be any material to come out of it. I had not been invited, which had hurt my feelings...especially knowing that Matt Clifford was there. says a lot.

His feelings were hurt?

It's hard being an adult.

Then there's this bit, which is just pitiful: But from what I could hear of him, most of the parts he played sounded benign to me for the most part. This is a delicate thing...I like Matt, and part of me is glad he was there....but I know if I had been there it would have come out more authentic.

If Plink had played on it it "would have come out more authentic". So... it wouldn't have been authentic anyway. That's already been established. Even by Ronnie.

But more authentic? I'm not a fan of Matt Clifford but certainly he can plink just as good as Plink can.

Date: October 14, 2016 18:26

Rocky Dijon
Yes-man? I don't think that's an accurate depiction of their relationship. Mind you, I don't believe Don Was is as much of a yes-man as fans want to believe either. Our harsh criticism of Mick and Keith is very often misdirected at those who surround them. They would be great again if Don/Chuck/Matt were gone.

You got that damn straight.

The best sounding tracks on BRIDGES? Rob Fraboni produced them.

The worst part of the STEEL WHEELS/URBAN JUNGLE tour? That cheesy Clifford interlude between 2000 Light Years and SFTD.

Plink? Eh, it would be great if they could find someone similar to Nicky Hopkins' or Ian McLagan's style, which would help the Stones sound like The Stones again.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: October 14, 2016 18:33

GasLightStreet
Rocky Dijon
Yes-man? I don't think that's an accurate depiction of their relationship. Mind you, I don't believe Don Was is as much of a yes-man as fans want to believe either. Our harsh criticism of Mick and Keith is very often misdirected at those who surround them. They would be great again if Don/Chuck/Matt were gone.

You got that damn straight.

The best sounding tracks on BRIDGES? Rob Fraboni produced them.

The worst part of the STEEL WHEELS/URBAN JUNGLE tour? That cheesy Clifford interlude between 2000 Light Years and SFTD.

Plink? Eh, it would be great if they could find someone similar to Nicky Hopkins' or Ian McLagan's style, which would help the Stones sound like The Stones again.

True words. When Ian Stewart passed away, I really hoped that Ian McLagen would his replacement. He had a similar barroom boogie style. Of course, at the time I wasn't aware of the fact that Mick was looking for a "musical director" rather than just a piano player. Sad Sad Sad....

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: October 14, 2016 18:39

It has been a long process of shaking my head...

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: October 14, 2016 18:39

Stu was the musical director " who's gonna tell us off now ?" CW 1986

COME ON MY LITTLE SHOWER OF SHIT ....YOU'RE ON !

sc uk

Date: October 14, 2016 18:51

THAT is directing the Stones! Not this loud guffawing ONE TWO ONE TWO THREE that is always the same timing count for every song from Plink.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 14, 2016 18:54

Does anyone know it the new Blue and lonesome deluxe version will be available in the USA through Amazon?

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 14, 2016 18:56

I'm fine with Chuck's comments.
He wanted to be there, thought he could have added something. Nothing wrong with him having confidence in himself.
But the Glimmers have always kept their session men at arm's length and not really communicated what their intentions are.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 14, 2016 19:17

GasLightStreet
Rocky Dijon
Matt is very close to Mick, professionally and socially. Apart from Dave Stewart, he's Mick's other closest collaborator. Since STEEL WHEELS/URBAN JUNGLE, he's worked with Mick on "Angel in My Heart," "Streets of Berlin," all of GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY where he not only played keyboards, but co-wrote, arranged, and co-produced a number of tracks. Matt brought Steve Knightley and Mick Dolan to GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY as he brought Phil Beer to STEEL WHEELS, pulling from his background in folk/prog circles. He produced the demos for Mick's three songs for FORTY LICKS and two of the singles for A BIGGER BANG. He assisted in selecting and prepping tracks to recut for EXILE and SOME GIRLS.

Some of the things Plink talked about in his blog are quite revealing about him. This one, The band had gone to London to “mess around” and see if there could be any material to come out of it. I had not been invited, which had hurt my feelings...especially knowing that Matt Clifford was there. says a lot.

His feelings were hurt?

Then there's this bit, which is just pitiful: But from what I could hear of him, most of the parts he played sounded benign to me for the most part. This is a delicate thing...I like Matt, and part of me is glad he was there....but I know if I had been there it would have come out more authentic.

If Plink had played on it it "would have come out more authentic". So... it wouldn't have been authentic anyway. That's already been established. Even by Ronnie.

But more authentic? I'm not a fan of Matt Clifford but certainly he can plink just as good as Plink can.

Sounds like sour grapes coming from Chuck.
He's now seemingly on a power trip from his live 'director' role in the Stones, and stepping over boundaries dragging down names in the process.
I always thought he was a nice and quiet guy, but evidently he's like a loose cannon ready to fire when things don't go his way.
He needs to zip it, and graciously accept his role as it is which is already more than necessary.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 14, 2016 19:33

GasLightStreet

The SG-Bonus-CD is surprisingly good. Some very good songs indeed. Maybe you meant the Exile-Bonus-CD is weak? That disc indeed is only filled with what they found at the bottom of the barrel.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 14, 2016 19:36

wonderboy
I'm fine with Chuck's comments.
He wanted to be there, thought he could have added something. Nothing wrong with him having confidence in himself.
But the Glimmers have always kept their session men at arm's length and not really communicated what their intentions are.

...maybe some plink-plink-plink.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 14, 2016 19:43

Doesn´t really matter who´s playing piano. It will be buried in the mix anyway.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 14, 2016 19:49

HMS

If it was Ian or Mac, it would matter. It does not matter if its Chuck or Matt.
jjeroen

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 14, 2016 21:31

corriecas
HMS

jjeroen

thumbs up

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: October 14, 2016 22:13

Hairball
GasLightStreet
Rocky Dijon

His feelings were hurt?

He's now seemingly on a power trip from his live 'director' role in the Stones, and stepping over boundaries dragging down names in the process.
I always thought he was a nice and quiet guy, but evidently he's like a loose cannon ready to fire when things don't go his way.
He needs to zip it, and graciously accept his role as it is which is already more than necessary.

It's been very unprofessional from Chuck to disseminate such comments on the internet

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 14, 2016 22:31

HMS
GasLightStreet

The SG-Bonus-CD is surprisingly good. Some very good songs indeed. Maybe you meant the Exile-Bonus-CD is weak? That disc indeed is only filled with what they found at the bottom of the barrel.

SG deluxe is strong. Love You Too Much is awesome!! The whole thing is pretty great...>grinning smiley<

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 14, 2016 23:15

Wild Slivovitz
Hairball
GasLightStreet
Rocky Dijon

His feelings were hurt?

It's been very unprofessional from Chuck to disseminate such comments on the internet

He seems a bit of a tool.

I remember thinking that a few year's ago when he recounted how on tour he bought a coffee maker for his hotel room (don't most hotels already have coffee makers in the room?) so that he could save money rather than buy coffee from the coffee shop.

Even if he was that cheap, why feel the need to go public with it?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 14, 2016 23:17

Wild Slivovitz
Hairball
GasLightStreet
Rocky Dijon

His feelings were hurt?

Says a lot about the ( non-) communication beetween the stones and their hired hands...in this case hired hands for 34 years...

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: October 15, 2016 01:30

KRiffhard
corriecas
HMS

jjeroen

thumbs up

thumbs up smileys with beer

Date: October 15, 2016 02:29

straycatuk
Stu was the musical director " who's gonna tell us off now ?" CW 1986

COME ON MY LITTLE SHOWER OF SHIT ....YOU'RE ON !

sc uk

Wasn't it "who's gonna tell us when we misbehave" (Keith)?

Date: October 15, 2016 17:01

HMS
GasLightStreet

Your trolling fake sense of fandom is predictable but I'll comment anyway since you have no idea what quality is and information has zero relevance:

There are only 5 good songs on the SG bonus disc:
No Spare Parts
Do You Think I Really Care
We Had It All
You Win Again
Tallahassee Lassie.

The rest of it blows (So Young was a scam since it was already released - they might as well've put Everything Is Turning To Gold on it). They left a few other really good songs off. No Spare Parts and Do You Think I Really Care would've fit on the excellent SOME GIRLS had they finished them.

The EOMS bonus disc is much better, partly because it's shorter so the quality content is higher. For the most part. Amazingly one of their best songs was not put on EOMS, I'm Not Signifying. Pass The Wine and Plundered My Soul are great tunes. Following The River is ruined by Mick's oversinging and is a sappy mess in general. Dancing In The Light and So Divine (which should've had Mick Taylor add new guitar instead of Keith's string strangles) are decent and would've made good B-sides if they'd been finished in 1972. The different takes of Loving Cup and Soul Survivor are great, as is Good Time Women. Why they put a track from 1967 on it has never been explained.

Date: October 15, 2016 17:02

corriecas
HMS

jjeroen

HMS doesn't know quality. You're talking way over his head. As in millions of miles over his head.

Date: October 15, 2016 17:07

treaclefingers
Wild Slivovitz
Hairball
GasLightStreet
Rocky Dijon

His feelings were hurt?

He seems a bit of a tool.

I remember thinking that a few year's ago when he recounted how on tour he bought a coffee maker for his hotel room (don't most hotels already have coffee makers in the room?) so that he could save money rather than buy coffee from the coffee shop.

Even if he was that cheap, why feel the need to go public with it?

It's probably his way of saying he was being "green".

Chuck is a cry baby that needs his diaper changed. Music director? Because he writes down the BPM for every song and a list of what was played in each city?

That's called a set list and they hardly change so it's very easy to know what they played in what city on what tour.

He's not the music director, he's just been allowed to think so. Mick knows what he's doing and has gotten lazy and Keith - is there any proof that he ever counted off songs? He was the count and that was that.

Chuck needs some cheese to go with his whine. It's amazing Mick let a troll into the Stones circle of musicians.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2087
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home