Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: October 7, 2016 03:52

powerage78
A good cover.

thumbs up

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 7, 2016 03:59

Heard the new song on the car radio as my teenage daughter was kind enough to connect her Spotify account to the car stereo through Spotify and an ox cord.
It sounds OK. Like Don Was said, 'crude' is one word. I kept hearing places they could have added backup vocals or other instruments.
I think they are making a mistake not releasing the album right away. If somebody hears the song and likes it, they might buy the album today. But for the casual listener this will be old news in December.
Their best hope for sales is that NPR or the NYT or Starbucks gets behind it so yuppies can buy it for each other at Christmas to prove how authentic and hip they are.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 7, 2016 04:52

Can someone please tell me how there can be a 75 page booklet with the deluxe set? There are 2 pages to every sleeve of paper. How can we have an odd numbered number of pages???

Rod

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 7, 2016 04:56

wonderboy
Heard the new song on the car radio as my teenage daughter was kind enough to connect her Spotify account to the car stereo through Spotify and an ox cord.
It sounds OK. Like Don Was said, 'crude' is one word. I kept hearing places they could have added backup vocals or other instruments.
I think they are making a mistake not releasing the album right away. If somebody hears the song and likes it, they might buy the album today. But for the casual listener this will be old news in December.
Their best hope for sales is that NPR or the NYT or Starbucks gets behind it so yuppies can buy it for each other at Christmas to prove how authentic and hip they are.

Back up vocals? Other instruments? God NO. THAT is exactly the trouble with so many records, and certainly true of all the Stones albums since and including Voodoo... Just TOO much going on, with no "air" in them. No room to breathe... I am one who wanted an album of Stones new songs. Did not want a blues covers record as my first choice, but THIS sounds amazing. I am eating my words.

Rod

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 7, 2016 05:04

Hey man, is Karl Denson in the house? Don't think I've heard the saxophone mentioned,
AND,
Karl Denson's playing in my area Oct 20/21 I just find out while double checking his name spell!
(that's 20/10/16 for you English folks I believe)
too funny, I should go see him! thumbs up

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 7, 2016 05:10

The press release states Mick, Keith, Charlie, and Ronnie are joined by Darryl, Chuck, Matt, and Clapton. No saxophone, apparently.

Re: 6 October announchement
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 7, 2016 05:22

MileHigh
treaclefingers
Cristiano Radtke
GasLightStreet
They need to release this blues album on all record formats:

78 vinyl
33 & 1/3 vinyl
CD
Cassette
8-track
Reel-To-Reel
DL
Streaming

Whatever else there may be.

Phonograph cylinders and two 10" on 45 rpm too. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

USB Stick
Smoke Signals
Blu Ray Audio
Magazine flexi
Musical Christmas Ornament
Player Piano

Punched Paper Cards
Punched Paper Tape
1.44 MB Floppy Box Sets
5 1/4" Floppy Box Sets
8" Floppy Box Sets
9-track Computer Tape Reel
DAT Tape
VHS Hi-Fi Audio
Microcassette
SACD
CD-4 Vinyl
SQ Vinyl
QS Vinyl
Scopitone
Edison Cylinder
Naval Flag Signalling
Wire Recording
Coleco Adam Cassette Tapes
Compact Flash Card
SD Memory Card
SDHC Memory Card
SDXC Memory Card
SATA Hard Drive
IDE Hard Drive
Iomega ZIP Disks

So all you hard core collectors get your credit card numbers ready. >grinning smiley<

I think we all forgot...live!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 7, 2016 05:27

bitusa2012
Can someone please tell me how there can be a 75 page booklet with the deluxe set? There are 2 pages to every sleeve of paper. How can we have an odd numbered number of pages???

No content on one of the pages, probably the back of the booklet. They only count pages that have content.

Damn that was easy...I think I'm going to set my sights now on solving world hunger.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: October 7, 2016 05:37

I love it. I always hoped they would make an album like this.

Apparently a lot of people are on Spotify. I used to be but I switched to Deezer. Same product but much, much better sound quality! Check it out, once you listen to Just A Fool on Deezer you will delete Spotify.

I like the artwork. It's simple and conveys the message. I don't understand why people here have such a problem with it. Who cares, it's just an album cover. Most people won't even buy the physical album but buy it online.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 7, 2016 05:42

treaclefingers
MileHigh
treaclefingers
Cristiano Radtke
GasLightStreet
They need to release this blues album on all record formats:

78 vinyl
33 & 1/3 vinyl
CD
Cassette
8-track
Reel-To-Reel
DL
Streaming

Whatever else there may be.

Phonograph cylinders and two 10" on 45 rpm too. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

USB Stick
Smoke Signals
Blu Ray Audio
Magazine flexi
Musical Christmas Ornament
Player Piano

Punched Paper Cards
Punched Paper Tape
1.44 MB Floppy Box Sets
5 1/4" Floppy Box Sets
8" Floppy Box Sets
9-track Computer Tape Reel
DAT Tape
VHS Hi-Fi Audio
Microcassette
SACD
CD-4 Vinyl
SQ Vinyl
QS Vinyl
Scopitone
Edison Cylinder
Naval Flag Signalling
Wire Recording
Coleco Adam Cassette Tapes
Compact Flash Card
SD Memory Card
SDHC Memory Card
SDXC Memory Card
SATA Hard Drive
IDE Hard Drive
Iomega ZIP Disks

So all you hard core collectors get your credit card numbers ready. >grinning smiley<

I think we all forgot...live!

Smoke signals? Musical Christmas Ornament? Player Piano? Naval Flag Signalling? hahaha....thumbs up

Then there's the braille edition for the blind, and sign language video version for the deaf.

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: October 7, 2016 05:55

bitusa2012
Back up vocals? Other instruments? God NO. THAT is exactly the trouble with so many records, and certainly true of all the Stones albums since and including Voodoo.

Yeah, I was a little worried about this album being too polished, as most of the Stones' blues efforts have been for the past 30 years. So I definitely think Don Was and Mick deserve some credit for resisting the urge to add too many layers and simply allowing this project to remain raw and sloppy. (If this first single is anything to go by- which I assume and hope it is.) One of the band's greatest strengths has always been that ability to tap into something raw and primal and I'm thrilled at the prospect of having a new album constructed entirely around that concept.

My only real complaint is having to wait another two months to get the rest!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-07 05:56 by howlingmad.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 7, 2016 05:57

Album time: 43:36

1. Just Your Fool (2:16)
2. Commit A Crime (3:38)
3. Blue And Lonesome (3:07)
4. All Of Your Love (4:46)
5. I Gotta Go (3:26)
6. Everybody Knows About My Good Thing (4:30)
7. Ride 'Em On Down (2:48)
8. Hate To See You Go (3:20)
9. Hoo Doo Blues (2:36)
10. Little Rain (3:32)
11. Just Like I Treat You (3:24)
12. I Can't Quit You Baby (5:13)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-07 06:21 by georgelicks.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 7, 2016 06:06

Rocky Dijon
The press release states Mick, Keith, Charlie, and Ronnie are joined by Darryl, Chuck, Matt, and Clapton. No saxophone, apparently.

and that makes me most curious about EKAMGT - one of the two songs with Clapton also. how will it sound without any horn?

god, i forgot about the version with moore..

so that would probably be the template..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-07 06:27 by maumau.

Date: October 7, 2016 06:15

georgelicks
Album time: 41:36

my count 43:36 total time?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 7, 2016 06:17

howlingmad
bitusa2012
Back up vocals? Other instruments? God NO. THAT is exactly the trouble with so many records, and certainly true of all the Stones albums since and including Voodoo.

Yeah, I was a little worried about this album being too polished, as most of the Stones' blues efforts have been for the past 30 years. So I definitely think Don Was and Mick deserve some credit for resisting the urge to add too many layers and simply allowing this project to remain raw and sloppy. (If this first single is anything to go by- which I assume and hope it is.) One of the band's greatest strengths has always been that ability to tap into something raw and primal and I'm thrilled at the prospect of having a new album constructed entirely around that concept.

thumbs up

Keith might deserve some of the credit as well just by letting the minimal production of his last solo album do the talking.
There's something to be said about keeping things simple:

“Beauty of style and harmony and grace and good rhythm depend on simplicity” - Plato

Date: October 7, 2016 06:20

Wuudy
I like the artwork. It's simple and conveys the message. I don't understand why people here have such a problem with it. Who cares, it's just an album cover. Most people won't even buy the physical album but buy it online.

I think that sentiment is the fundamental issue some fans have: The cover implies something disposable, which also means it fails to accurately convey the actual music being offered inside.

Many have compared this project to Johnny Cash's American Recordings, but one look at that iconic cover and you know exactly what is being offered by the artist. By comparison, at first glance this feels a bit like if Muddy Waters' Hard Again had come wrapped in a day-glo sleeve. So I get the argument that- assuming this ends up being similarly regarded as a late period triumph for the Stones- it could've used a more classic design. (The Stripped cover would've actually been ideal for this sort of album, had they not already gone that route.)

Personally, I thought it was just going to be the artwork for a new single, but I'm still cool with it and have no doubt it'll look great in person. However, I do think there has to be more behind the concept than simply "Oh hey, it's blue and they're playing the blues!" Judging by Mick's quote in the deluxe booklet (in the lone image we have of the set), the intention for this album was essentially the same as it was half a century ago: Presenting the blues to a new generation. When viewed in that context, the decision to go with a very modern, brand-heavy cover begins to make a lot more sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-07 06:21 by howlingmad.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 7, 2016 06:20

maumau
georgelicks
Album time: 41:36

my count 43:36 total time?

You're right, fixed now,

Date: October 7, 2016 06:22

or as architect mies van der rohe putit "less is more" smiling smiley

Date: October 7, 2016 06:26

Hairball
Keith might deserve some of the credit as well just by letting the minimal production of his last solo album do the talking.

Yes, I'd love to think Crosseyed Heart's production impressed Mick enough to try something more stripped-down. It's even more exciting to think how Blue And Lonesome could end up influencing the next studio album- especially if sales turn out to be better than anyone expects.

It's probably been mentioned here already, but it looks like we won't have long to wait for the next preview. According to the official site, anyone that pre-orders will receive access to a digital download of "Hate To See You Go" on October 21 and "Ride `Em On Down" on November 25.

[therollingstonesshop.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-07 06:41 by howlingmad.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: October 7, 2016 06:42

EddieByword
For anyone that missed it............... [vimeo.com]

thx for that.
that's the stones that i like

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: October 7, 2016 10:48

georgelicks
Album time: 43:36

Side A 9 minutes long? Why a double LP?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 7, 2016 11:17

maumau
Rocky Dijon

and that makes me most curious about EKAMGT - one of the two songs with Clapton also. how will it sound without any horn?

god, i forgot about the version with moore..

so that would probably be the template..

AAAAAAGH! More acronyms to learn, when I've only just got used to YCAGWYW....

All together now, class, repeat after me: JYF, CAC, BAL, AOYL, IGG, EKAMGT, REOD, HTSYG, HDB, LR, JLITY, ICQYB. Easy as ABC, eh?

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 7, 2016 11:27

Hairball
howlingmad
bitusa2012

thumbs up

“Beauty of style and harmony and grace and good rhythm depend on simplicity” - Plato

Blues In The Mornng would fit perfectly on the new album.....IMO haha

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 7, 2016 11:38

ebalm
Article in local NY paper by a complete a-hole. Perhaps judge the album once it's released.

[www.nydailynews.com]

Not sure how one can knock the fact that it was recorded in 3 days (not 2 like the article says) and knock the fact there were no overdubs. Perhaps he should go back and listen to Superheavy.

Well, he's got a point though. True that I haven't heard the album either yet, and maybe they turned those songs completely upside down (as they did for, e.g., "Stop Breaking Down", "Love in Vain", "I Just Wanna..." ), but if not (and at least the preview seems to hint that they didn't), what's the point if you can listen to the original versions?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-07 11:46 by matxil.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: October 7, 2016 11:38

Straycat13
EddieByword
For anyone that missed it............... [vimeo.com]

thx for that.
that's the stones that i like

It sounds to me Mick is singing through the microphone he also uses for the harmonica,
with some overdrive effect as a result.
Gives his voice a masculine taste, that I've been missing on the most recent studio
recordings.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 7, 2016 11:42

Don Was talking to Matt Everitt on BBC6 Music this morning:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Date: October 7, 2016 11:43

TheBlockbuster
Is Keith going to the IV Chord too early at 1:02? Or is it just a riff?

It seems that this is in keeping with the unique arrangements of early Bluesmen. I actually thought you were referring to the change at 1:42 where IMO it is very obvious that they are hopping up to the IV chord early. But then they do it again right after. Either way we know it's by design. And even if not, it becomes part of the design.

I love when they do the odd counts on Blues songs. They've done that in "Red Rooster", "Black Limousines"; one of the Voodoo Lounge B-Sides..

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: October 7, 2016 11:57

...it's only Blues but I like it....

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 7, 2016 13:12

Palace Revolution 2000
TheBlockbuster
Is Keith going to the IV Chord too early at 1:02? Or is it just a riff?

It seems that this is in keeping with the unique arrangements of early Bluesmen. I actually thought you were referring to the change at 1:42 where IMO it is very obvious that they are hopping up to the IV chord early. But then they do it again right after. Either way we know it's by design. And even if not, it becomes part of the design.

I love when they do the odd counts on Blues songs. They've done that in "Red Rooster", "Black Limousines"; one of the Voodoo Lounge B-Sides..

Me too.

It's part of the infinate variety that's present in this seemingly very restricted format called " The Blues"

Date: October 7, 2016 14:16

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1703
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home