Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...100101102103104105106107108109110...LastNext
Current Page: 105 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: December 23, 2016 22:22

I think on this album Keith and Charlie are the spine of the band. Mick is the beating heart and Ronnie has the youngest fingers. B&L keeps getting better with every listen. The Stones rule. The Stones could be the only real rock & roll around these days. B&L is so much more than a collection of blues covers. Now we need Part II! Originals would be optimal but I wouldn't mind if they did more covers. because they're not really covers now. B&L songs are as much Stones songs as their originals are, IMO.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 23, 2016 23:05

Socrates1
I think on this album Keith and Charlie are the spine of the band. Mick is the beating heart and Ronnie has the youngest fingers. B&L keeps getting better with every listen. The Stones rule. The Stones could be the only real rock & roll around these days. B&L is so much more than a collection of blues covers. Now we need Part II! Originals would be optimal but I wouldn't mind if they did more covers. because they're not really covers now. B&L songs are as much Stones songs as their originals are, IMO.

Now it's time for originals!

Date: December 23, 2016 23:59

As Stones fans, all of us on this site, we always want originals. They're the Stones and we love them for their originals. I want new originals from them. But B&L is so good, I'm sold on that sound. And of course, that sound is their sound. It's the Stones sound. If you have no blues you have no Stones and no rock & roll.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 24, 2016 01:00

DandelionPowderman
mpj200
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
For what it's worth, Keith had also said there were no new Mick Taylor overdubs on Plundered My Soul...

"Richards denies murmurings that Taylor, who left the band in late 1974, contributed overdubs to the reissue package. “That’s a rumor, babe,” he says.
“If he was on there, I would know. We’ve had no contact with Mick for a long time.”' (Guitar World magazine)

And he plays Satisfaction, Little T+A and other standard tuning-songs in open G grinning smiley

It's touching that people still are believing everything Keith and Ronnie say.

They could be right to a certain extent about not adding many overdubs themselves, though. As mpj200 says, guitar parts and harp parts (isn't some harp parts going while Mick is singing, btw?) could have been from pre-production or from other places in the song.

It's obvious that Ronnie's solo track on Everybody Knows About My Good Thing was overdubbed, though, as his other guitar track is going simultaneously for a while when the solo track starts.

Don Was would do whatever it takes to make the record sound as good as possible. Every producer does. I think you are suggesting there were overdubs based on what your ears are telling you. And it's impossible for your ears to know.

"Overdubbing" generally means recording a track on top of the existing tracks. But Producers can also take bits and pices from alternate passes (takes) and piece them together and achieve a similar effect. This is the norm these days. It's how records are made. What makes this a little complicated for Was is the fact that the songs were not recorded to a click track and on tape. So if there are extra "parts" they would have likely been pieced together manually. Apart from the piano and percussion sessions previously mentioned.

Ronnie's solo is not «bits and pieces» (it's a track going from «I was talking to my neighbour, and throughout the song) and you said yourself that he did the other guitar track live with Clapton - hence it's an overdub.

There are 4 guitars on that track!

Date: December 24, 2016 01:01

Spud
Wouldn't disagree with that.

Plus, the way they went about this album didn't allow for any pre-planning in that regard.

Alas, it was pre-planned: they didn't plan on doing it until they started doing it. Then it was planned. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: December 24, 2016 01:04

HMS
GasLightStreet
It's wort zero time if you have a love for good music and good songs.
By all means, if you like sub-standard and zero standard music, listen away.

Everybody except you knows that Harlem Shuffle, One Hit, Winning Ugly, Dirty Work, Had It With You ARE VERY good songs. You won´t find sub-standard and zero standard music on DW. If you´re looking for that kind of stuff you´ll have to listen to Goats Head Soup, Steel Wheels and Some Girls.

Said by someone that knows nothing about quality music. Congratulations for continuing to be the biggest Stones fan poseur in the world.

Worst album ever. BLUE AND LONESOME almost makes me forget that they did such drain clogging crap as Winning Ugly and Back To Zero and Hold Back and One Hit.

Date: December 24, 2016 01:16

Considering how many albums the Stones have, an album of covers is just fine: it sounds great.

Maybe they'll do one more album of originals. And if they do, based on what's been said about the sessions, it will make BLUE AND LONESOME even better because everyone except one knows it will just be A BIGGER BANG 2. That's what it seems like so far.

But this...

Blue And Lonesome (Take 1)
[www.youtube.com]

Keith...
[www.youtube.com]

Date: December 24, 2016 01:44

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
mpj200
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
For what it's worth, Keith had also said there were no new Mick Taylor overdubs on Plundered My Soul...

"Richards denies murmurings that Taylor, who left the band in late 1974, contributed overdubs to the reissue package. “That’s a rumor, babe,” he says.
“If he was on there, I would know. We’ve had no contact with Mick for a long time.”' (Guitar World magazine)

And he plays Satisfaction, Little T+A and other standard tuning-songs in open G grinning smiley

It's touching that people still are believing everything Keith and Ronnie say.

They could be right to a certain extent about not adding many overdubs themselves, though. As mpj200 says, guitar parts and harp parts (isn't some harp parts going while Mick is singing, btw?) could have been from pre-production or from other places in the song.

It's obvious that Ronnie's solo track on Everybody Knows About My Good Thing was overdubbed, though, as his other guitar track is going simultaneously for a while when the solo track starts.

Don Was would do whatever it takes to make the record sound as good as possible. Every producer does. I think you are suggesting there were overdubs based on what your ears are telling you. And it's impossible for your ears to know.

"Overdubbing" generally means recording a track on top of the existing tracks. But Producers can also take bits and pices from alternate passes (takes) and piece them together and achieve a similar effect. This is the norm these days. It's how records are made. What makes this a little complicated for Was is the fact that the songs were not recorded to a click track and on tape. So if there are extra "parts" they would have likely been pieced together manually. Apart from the piano and percussion sessions previously mentioned.

Ronnie's solo is not «bits and pieces» (it's a track going from «I was talking to my neighbour, and throughout the song) and you said yourself that he did the other guitar track live with Clapton - hence it's an overdub.

There are 4 guitars on that track!

Yep.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 24, 2016 04:10

Little Rain is still my #1, but Hoo Doo Blues is gaining!

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: December 24, 2016 05:50

Post Deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-24 07:21 by mpj200.

Date: December 24, 2016 08:38

We need albums like this to remind us how music should be sounding. This is what it was like before the machines took over.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 24, 2016 08:55

LeonidP

Little Rain may be a cover but Mick owns this one.

Date: December 24, 2016 11:06

LeonidP

Same here!

Date: December 24, 2016 11:57

In so many reviews (all stellar) I see that Jagger gets top mentions. And I agree; he really shines on this album. It made reflect that it is so odd that of all people it is Jagger who really gets the Blues. His harmonica playing is topnotch, but it is the singing that I find truly great.

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: December 24, 2016 16:27

My wife wanted me to today put the walls in the living room in the paint. I hate that. But turning down B.and.L. I painted with pleasure

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 24, 2016 16:48

Palace Revolution 2000
In so many reviews (all stellar) I see that Jagger gets top mentions. And I agree; he really shines on this album. It made reflect that it is so odd that of all people it is Jagger who really gets the Blues. His harmonica playing is topnotch, but it is the singing that I find truly great.
smileys with beer
jeroen

Posted by: z ()
Date: December 24, 2016 17:43

Idorh
My wife wanted me to today put the walls in the living room in the paint. I hate that. But turning down B.and.L. I painted with pleasure

"But why blue, honey?! Didn't I say off-white??!!!"

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 24, 2016 17:45

Palace Revolution 2000

I'm looking forward to the new studio album ...hope he continues this great singing..............

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 24, 2016 18:47

Socrates1

nicely put!

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: December 24, 2016 22:10

A woman from Barnes and Noble told me "Blue and Lonesome" has been their hottest seller in the last couple weeks. Many copies going for Christmas gifts. I used my 30% discount coupon to purchase the deluxe version. With the coupon and my member discount the price came to around $30.

Date: December 25, 2016 02:29

Deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-25 05:15 by mpj200.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 25, 2016 03:12

Thanks for the insight mpj200! thumbs up

"...the initial thought was to maybe use a few on a new album with some originals".

If and/or when there is a new album, this would be the way to go imo. These covers are nice enough, but to put it politely, a little goes a long way.
Some originals would have broken up the 'monotony' imo, but with that said, glad it was made and released.

edit: Curious if there are any unused leftovers from the B&L sessions?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-25 03:21 by Hairball.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: December 25, 2016 03:45

Mr mpj200, I appreciate your insights, but your wrong about the REMD riff.
1. That lead run couldn't sound more like Keith's soloing style.
2. The rhythm guitar that kicks in with the F# chord, the E chord and at last the B chord is not at all Keith's style of that type of boogie woogie playing. That rhythm guitar is totally Ronnie's rhythm style.
3. Why should the intro lead run (it's not really a riff) come out of the right speaker, if it's played by Ron?

Edit: Ahh and then when the verse kicks in, you can hear how both guitars play that boogie woogie rhythm, but the one on the right (the one that played the intro) always hits the chord a 8th note late, which is a typical Keith thing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-25 03:48 by MonkeyMan2000.

Date: December 25, 2016 03:59

Deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-25 05:16 by mpj200.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 25, 2016 04:05

Date: December 25, 2016 04:08

mpj200
MonkeyMan2000
Mr mpj200, I appreciate your insights, but your wrong about the REMD riff.
1. That lead run couldn't sound more like Keith's soloing style.
2. The rhythm guitar that kicks in with the F# chord, the E chord and at last the B chord is not at all Keith's style of that type of boogie woogie playing. That rhythm guitar is totally Ronnie's rhythm style.
3. Why should the intro lead run (it's not really a riff) come out of the right speaker, if it's played by Ron?

Edit: Ahh and then when the verse kicks in, you can hear how both guitars play that boogie woogie rhythm, but the one on the right (the one that played the intro) always hits the chord a 8th note late, which is a typical Keith thing.

The guitars may be panned around a bit in the mix? I don't know. Your ears may trick you. My eyes don't. You will see when (if) they play the song live.

I would add that things have changed quite a bit with Keith's style since the last Stones record.

I know why Ronnie played the intro live. Mick wanted that the "new" song kicks ass and I'd imagine that Keith would have f*cked up the intro. >grinning smiley<

Anyway, I'm 100% sure that my ears don't trick me. You just have to listen Keith playing IORR, that's exactly how he plays rhythm on REOD after he plays that little lead run. I tell you every guitarist on this board will agree with me that the guitar in the right channel is Keith and the one in the left is Ron. Keith may lost some speed, but his phrasing will stay until the end. It might sound haughty but I've studied both styles enough to hear the difference, and I'm sure Mr. Powderman and other musicians will agree.

But I wan't to know what makes you think it's Ron?

Date: December 25, 2016 04:09

Ronnie doesn't even play the intro live the same way Keith played it in the studio...

Date: December 25, 2016 04:23

MonkeyMan2000
Ronnie doesn't even play the intro live the same way Keith played it in the studio...

So you think Keith played the song intro live in the studio, for the whole world to hear, but they switched parts for one show in the States? Right.

Date: December 25, 2016 04:28

mpj200
MonkeyMan2000

So you think Keith played the song intro live in the studio, for the whole world to hear, but they switched parts for one show in the States? Right.

I know that they switched parts many times over the years, nothing will surprise me. You think too much, just grab some good headphones and listen! You will hear that you'rd wrong here. smileys with beer
Ah and REOD was played at DT1 and LV.

Edit: I'd still like to know what makes you think it's Ron, in terms of guitar style.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-25 04:30 by MonkeyMan2000.

Date: December 25, 2016 04:32

Tell that to Keith.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...100101102103104105106107108109110...LastNext
Current Page: 105 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2300
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home