Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...96979899100101102103104105106...LastNext
Current Page: 101 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Date: December 19, 2016 10:15

Mick must be a wizard, managing to blow two harps simultaneously on Just Your Fool. Of course there were a few overdubs - by members of the band.

Ronnie overdubbed the guitar track that eventually leads to his solo on EKAMGT as well. We can still hear his other track (the one mpj200 called weaving) while the other track starts right before «I was talking to my neighbour...».

Who played what appears to be an acoustic on Commit A Crime, and aren't there three electric guitars in there?

That said, this is a brilliant album, and no one criticises the Stones to add a bit of glimmer here and there to make it even better.

EDIT: If what mpj200 says is true, the only possibility is that Don Was picked up pieces from different places in the songs and added them on other places. I don't think that is the case, though, and I hope that isn't what they did.

Here is the proof that Mick Jagger plays two harps on Just Your Fool.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-20 10:54 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 19, 2016 11:33

Testify
I do not understand what does Dirty Work with B & L .... nothing. Dirty Work is an album by the Stones 20 years ago, B & L is the Stones album of cover songs just came out.
Some comparisons are really foolish!
Maybe some fans do not like the blues, otherwise I can not understand some comments, even making comparisons with the original makes little sense, it makes sense instead open our ears to hear and enjoy !!!

I would say when you like the blues, comparisons with the originals make a lot of sense. But I agree that the DW discussion seems to have entered in this thread through a wormhole from a parallel universe.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 19, 2016 12:39

matxil
But I agree that the DW discussion seems to have entered in this thread through a wormhole from a parallel universe.

I agree that DW hasn´t much to do with B&S, I´ve mentioned DW for one reason only: both albums, although musically totally different, give me an enormous amount of pleasure while listening to them. That´s the connection between DW and B&L: The pleasure it gives to the listener. Never experienced that amount of pleasure with the albums post DW - until B&L.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 19, 2016 13:06

Testify
Dirty Work is an album by the Stones 20 years ago

That'll be 30 years ago!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 19, 2016 13:16

"Guitarist"smiling smiley magazine has a brief review.

Gets 10/10 . That don't happen very often

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: December 19, 2016 13:30

Spud

can we get a link to the article?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 19, 2016 13:39

RipThisBone
video: [youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Maybe a forgotten name but Cyril Davies..... must have influenced Mick Jagger's blues harmonica playing.

Cyril Davies was there in the early days (1962) when Mick did get one or two songs to sing with Alexis Korner etc., Charlie on drums...Brian Jones hanging around...

There are some quotes by Mick about Cyril Davies from the past.........

I like what I hear on YouTube by Mr. Davies.
I could not agree more , this is where Mick channels his harp sound from .Very good !!!

Date: December 19, 2016 14:54

Spud

can we get a link to the article?

Can't help with that I'm afraid.

[Besides listening to vinyl records... I also still read bits of paper winking smiley]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-19 14:55 by Spud.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 19, 2016 15:58

Idorh
GasLightStreet
Idorh
...I think this is the best album they have ever made, it does not matter to me whether it covers or their own songs. It does me no matter what the text, it does not matter to me mono or stereo, it makes me or Ron or Keith left or right plays and so on...No background vocals for other artists no overdubbing...

Eh, well, there are overdubs. In fact there were two overdubbing sessions.

It may be possible that there is created a second time overdub. But I understand that recorded in the studio in 3 days 12 numbers. And that later no traces are wiped or new guitars or drums or vocals are added. However, later on piano. But for me it worked a fresh spontaneous honest album that with great pleasure. I can not get enough. Gr Bert.

They did 9 songs in 2015 and 3 more in April of 2016. Leavell overdubbed in New Orleans and Keltner most likely overdubbed in Los Angeles.

So... with what Mick said is a bit of a stretch. Turns out it's the least overdubbed studio album they've recorded.

Regardless of those little details, it's a fantastic album and certainly their best studio effort since TATTOO YOU.

Date: December 19, 2016 17:29

Tattoo You isn´t a regular Stones-album. It´s a compilation of leftovers, some of them very old. The songs on TY are not even the Stones´s choice, Kimsey came up with them after spending lots of time in the vaults in search of something that could be used to stitch an album together. Another producer maybe would have chosen different tracks to work with. Mick and Kimsey realized TY without any or only minor contributions by the other band members.

So B&L is their best album since DW of course. I liked it immediately and it even grows on me, it´s the "real" Stones, the Stones "unmasked" for the first time in about 30 years. B&L, just like DW or Black And Blue practically consists of highlights only. Such a great cover album makes me somewhat afraid of a new album of originals to be honest, especially when thinking of the amount of fillers/inferior songs on SW, VL, B2B & ABB. The only way to top B&L is recording another Blues-album, this time consisting of even better material and a bit more variety. There isn´t only Chicago-Blues, there´s Country Blues, acoustic Blues and on and on. And all of the piano parts of course should be played by Chuck - he´s a marvelous Blues-pianist,listen to Fancy Man Blues and it´s clear to see.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: December 19, 2016 18:33

Did you say it's the best album since Dirty Work?

Date: December 19, 2016 18:41

HMS
Tattoo You isn´t a regular Stones-album. It´s a compilation of leftovers, some of them very old. The songs on TY are not even the Stones´s choice, Kimsey came up with them after spending lots of time in the vaults in search of something that could be used to stitch an album together. Another producer maybe would have chosen different tracks to work with. Mick and Kimsey realized TY without any or only minor contributions by the other band members.

Here you go again with your nonsense. The age of the songs is irrelevant. Major contributions by band members made the songs ready for Jagger to add vocals to. All studio albums are compilations of songs that have been recorded.

HMS
So B&L is their best album since DW of course.

So was STEEL WHEELS, VOODOO LOUNGE, BRIDGES TO BABYLON and A BIGGER BANG, of course, because at that point Mick Jagger recording an album of Keith snoring would've been better than DW. And everything before it was their best before DW of course.

HMS
I liked it immediately and it even grows on me, it´s the "real" Stones, the Stones "unmasked" for the first time in about 30 years. B&L, just like DW or Black And Blue practically consists of highlights only.

DW has one highlight. It consists of very poor writing and communication.

HMS
Such a great cover album makes me somewhat afraid of a new album of originals to be honest, especially when thinking of the amount of fillers/inferior songs on SW, VL, B2B & ABB.

The amount of inferior songs on those albums combined are less than the entire catastrophe of DW.

HMS
The only way to top B&L is recording another Blues-album, this time consisting of even better material and a bit more variety.

Said by someone that thought B&L wouldn't sell or be worthy.

HMS
There isn´t only Chicago-Blues, there´s Country Blues, acoustic Blues and on and on.

Like you, on and on about nothing. So what if there are other kinds of country. You just said B&L is a great album but then you immediately undermine it with what else they should do.

HMS
And all of the piano parts of course should be played by Chuck - he´s a marvelous Blues-pianist,listen to Fancy Man Blues and it´s clear to see.

Nope. And hopefully not, of course. You love plinky plink, real Stones fans don't, of course. Chuck's playing is so pedestrian it's painful.

History will support this accurate list of the Stones' greatest albums:

Beggars Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile On Main Street
Some Girls
Tattoo You
Blue And Lonesome

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 19, 2016 19:05

Keith on Blue and Lonesome:

“It’s almost like getting something off your chest that had been there for a long time. I’m looking forward to volume two already.

The Rolling Stones: 'We are theatre and reality at the same time'

Not sure of this article was posted yet (it probably was amidst the barrage of reviews, interviews, etc.), but I never saw it and it's worth reading if you haven't already.

Date: December 19, 2016 19:17

And they do record on tape, Richards says. “This is not digital crap.”

That's the first I've seen of tape being used to record BLUE AND LONESOME! Now it really makes sense why the vinyl LP was spread out to be a double.

Date: December 19, 2016 19:26

A few folks have suggested that as B&L is so good, they should forget the new material and do further Blues or covers albums.

I think folks are rather missing the point... [and I just hope that the band don't miss the point !]

It's not the material that makes B&L as good as it is.
It's the way they went about playing & recording it.

If they can come up with some half decent songs for a new album, play them as a band, live in the studio [with a few O/Ds where appropriate] ... they'll come up with a pretty good album.

Date: December 19, 2016 19:34

Although they spent months on SOME GIRLS, BLUE AND LONESOME has that kind of vibe going with it - it sounds vibrantly fresh ie different - on the edge of being abrasive. Looking at the amount of material they cut for SOME GIRLS, they were just flinging ideas all over the place.

They did the same with BLUE AND LONESOME only with 12 songs instead of 40 something (being covers obviously had a huge hand in the amount of time it took as well).

Date: December 19, 2016 19:46

Spud
A few folks have suggested that as B&L is so good, they should forget the new material and do further Blues or covers albums.

I think folks are rather missing the point... [and I just hope that the band don't miss the point !]

It's not the material that makes B&L as good as it is.
It's the way they went about playing & recording it.

If they can come up with some half decent songs for a new album, play them as a band, live in the studio [with a few O/Ds where appropriate] ... they'll come up with a pretty good album.

That's a really big IF Spud, but I'm with you on this. Hopefully not another entire album of Blues Covers - they've now been there and done that. As great as it might be, the fact is it's a covers album. A new album of great originals sprinkled with one or two covers would be the ultimate prize, but perhaps that's hoping for too much. Given their lack of quality songwriting as a team throughout the last 30 something years, and the fact that Mick and Keith aren't even on the same page (and haven't been for decades) we can only hope for a miracle at this point. The sound of this blues covers album coupled with the sincerity of Crosseyed Heart would be a great place to start something new.

Date: December 19, 2016 20:30

Hairball
The sound of this blues covers album coupled with the sincerity of Crosseyed Heart would be a great place to start something new.

CROSSEYED HEART is exactly the frame they should've been using all along. Keith took his time, as in, there was no need to rush, and it's an incredibly rounded album. For some reason Mick can't be bothered, which is a big part of the problem - even when he his bothering (and occasionally getting terrible results like Sweet Neo Con, Streets Of Love, Gunface and Might As Well Get Juiced). BLUE AND LONESOME proves that when they can relax just a weege bit and let it take its course, the quality of it is in itself.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: December 19, 2016 22:06

GasLightStreet
Although they spent months on SOME GIRLS, BLUE AND LONESOME has that kind of vibe going with it - it sounds vibrantly fresh ie different - on the edge of being abrasive. Looking at the amount of material they cut for SOME GIRLS, they were just flinging ideas all over the place.

They did the same with BLUE AND LONESOME only with 12 songs instead of 40 something (being covers obviously had a huge hand in the amount of time it took as well).

Check out When You're Gone from the Some Girls sessions. Or for that matter Down in the Hole. Both would fit right in on B&L. Amazing

HBK

Date: December 20, 2016 03:47

matxil
Testify
I do not understand what does Dirty Work with B & L .... nothing. Dirty Work is an album by the Stones 20 years ago, B & L is the Stones album of cover songs just came out.
Some comparisons are really foolish!
Maybe some fans do not like the blues, otherwise I can not understand some comments, even making comparisons with the original makes little sense, it makes sense instead open our ears to hear and enjoy !!!

I would say when you like the blues, comparisons with the originals make a lot of sense. But I agree that the DW discussion seems to have entered in this thread through a wormhole from a parallel universe.

30 years ago actually...

Date: December 20, 2016 05:25

I just received one of three discounted Deluxe box's a few days early, with the other two expected on time for Friday.
Quite a nice sized box (I haven't opened it yet), and am tempted to keep one of them for myself!
For apprx. $10.00 each (or $32 for three), have to say it's one of the best Stones related discounted deals I've every bought.
The best discounted deal for me was the Brussels Deluxe vinyl box set for apprx. $150.

Just went through the AmazonUK process again to possibly buy three more, but they're no longer on sale - now listed at £28 (or $34) each.
Oh well, thanks again and Happy Holidays to all who posted the discount info. several pages back!!! thumbs up

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: December 20, 2016 08:38

DandelionPowderman
Mick must be a wizard, managing to blow two harp simultaneously on Just Your Fool. Of course there were a few overdubs - by members of the band.

Ronnie overdubbed the guitar track that eventually leads to his solo on EKAMGT as well. We can still hear his other track (the one mpj200 called weaving) while the other track starts right before «I was talking to my neighbour...».

Who played what appears to be an acoustic on Commit A Crime, and aren't there three electric guitars in there?

That said, this is a brilliant album, and no one criticises the Stones to add a bit of glimmer here and there to make it even better.

EDIT: If what mpj200 says is true, the only possibility is that Don Was picked up pieces from different places in the songs and added them on other places. I don't think that is the case, though, and I hope that isn't what they did.

[www.youtube.com]

First off, both Ronnie and Keith have said there were no guitar over dubs. In post production, anything is possible. And certainly things could have been moved around and flown in by Was. Like every other producer does on their records.

Was had multiple takes to work with as the pre production sessions were also recorded.

Date: December 20, 2016 09:01

For what it's worth, Keith had also said there were no new Mick Taylor overdubs on Plundered My Soul...

"Richards denies murmurings that Taylor, who left the band in late 1974, contributed overdubs to the reissue package. “That’s a rumor, babe,” he says.
“If he was on there, I would know. We’ve had no contact with Mick for a long time.”' (Guitar World magazine)

Date: December 20, 2016 10:10

mpj200
DandelionPowderman
Mick must be a wizard, managing to blow two harp simultaneously on Just Your Fool. Of course there were a few overdubs - by members of the band.

[www.youtube.com]

First off, both Ronnie and Keith have said there were no guitar over dubs. In post production, anything is possible. And certainly things could have been moved around and flown in by Was. Like every other producer does on their records.

Was had multiple takes to work with as the pre production sessions were also recorded.

"Pre-dubs", then smiling smiley

I reckon you see the difference between a live take and this way of working.

Date: December 20, 2016 11:02

Hairball
For what it's worth, Keith had also said there were no new Mick Taylor overdubs on Plundered My Soul...

"Richards denies murmurings that Taylor, who left the band in late 1974, contributed overdubs to the reissue package. “That’s a rumor, babe,” he says.
“If he was on there, I would know. We’ve had no contact with Mick for a long time.”' (Guitar World magazine)

And he plays Satisfaction, Little T+A and other standard tuning-songs in open G grinning smiley

It's touching that people still are believing everything Keith and Ronnie say.

They could be right to a certain extent about not adding many overdubs themselves, though. As mpj200 says, guitar parts and harp parts (isn't some harp parts going while Mick is singing, btw?) could have been from pre-production or from other places in the song.

It's obvious that Ronnie's solo track on Everybody Knows About My Good Thing was overdubbed, though, as his other guitar track is going simultaneously for a while when the solo track starts.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 20, 2016 11:21

GasLightStreet

Beggars Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile On Main Street
Some Girls
Tattoo You
Blue And Lonesome

And Aftermath?

Date: December 20, 2016 12:47

GasLightStreet

Beggars Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile On Main Street
Some Girls
Tattoo You
Blue And Lonesome

No historian in the whole wide world would ever agree.
Exile doesn´t belong to their greatest albums for it´s amount of fillers.
Some Girls doesn´t for it´s lack of outstanding songs.
Tattoo You isn´t an "regular" album at all, I´ve told you so many times....
Blue And Lonesome is a very good cover album but it will be forgotten within a few years since historians will always focus on albums of original compositions.

More realistic:

Let It Bleed 10/10
Sticky Fingers 9/10
Beggars Banquet 7/10
Black And Blue 9/10
Undercover 9/10
Dirty Work 9/10

Edit: Aftermath is partly very good, but most of it is average, there are even some cringeworthy songs on that album. Their first attempt to create an all-originals-album was only so-so. The last couple of tracks are horrible-superfluous. Going Home is a long session leading to nowhere, it´s too unstructured.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-20 12:51 by HMS.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 20, 2016 14:17

No news on Bonus songs on the japanese release??
jeroen

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 20, 2016 16:49

corriecas
No news on Bonus songs on the japanese release??
jeroen

I believe there was news, and thought it was confirmed that there were no bonus tracks. But it's got me thinking ... how awesome would it be if they recorded a Two Trains bonus track!

Date: December 20, 2016 16:53

Hairball

HE WOULD KNOW!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...96979899100101102103104105106...LastNext
Current Page: 101 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1531
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home