Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...99100101102103104105106107108109...LastNext
Current Page: 104 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 22, 2016 16:57

Anitapal82
For the first time ever Ron is the dominant guitarist and Keith is second fiddle with one short solo. Enough with the harmonica , more guitar solos please

More guitar solos as on SFTD on recent tours?
Please no, let Keith play rhythm and acoustic, he still ok with that.

Posted by: Anitapal82 ()
Date: December 22, 2016 17:10

I didnt forget those at all but on this album Keith seems to be doing less than ever before. As on stage in the last few tours Ron is doing more and Keith less . Usually on record it's easy to tell who is playing what, but not this time. Is this because Keith is buried in the mix ? Well that's a first ! Is it the mixers fault ? Maybe , but I have never found it harder to hear and distinguish what Keith is playing

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: December 22, 2016 17:11

Damn right... Keith and Ron altough...
SFTD, Start Me Up, Come Together, out of Control...
Stop.

georgelicks

Anitapal82
For the first time ever Ron is the dominant guitarist and Keith is second fiddle with one short solo. Enough with the harmonica , more guitar solos please

More guitar solos as on SFTD on recent tours?
Please no, let Keith play rhythm and acoustic, he still ok with that.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 22, 2016 17:14

Anitapal82
I didnt forget those at all but on this album Keith seems to be doing less than ever before. As on stage in the last few tours Ron is doing more and Keith less . Usually on record it's easy to tell who is playing what, but not this time. Is this because Keith is buried in the mix ? Well that's a first ! Is it the mixers fault ? Maybe , but I have never found it harder to hear and distinguish what Keith is playing

It's the nature of the album, but if you look enough Keith is present as only Keith can be. He's such a sympathetic player.........really looking forward to next years release.....smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-22 17:22 by Maindefender.

Date: December 22, 2016 17:22

Anitapal82

Keith plays rhythm guitar on the whole album, Ronnie is doing almost all the riffs except on Ride Em On Down and Little Rain, that's Keith, Hoo Doo Blues has Keith on slide too.

Date: December 22, 2016 17:34

georgelicks
Anitapal82

Keith plays rhythm guitar on the whole album, Ronnie is doing almost all the riffs except on Ride Em On Down and Little Rain, that's Keith, Hoo Doo Blues has Keith on slide too.

All Of Your Love is Keith, too.

Date: December 22, 2016 17:40

Yes, GREAT job by Keith on that one.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: December 22, 2016 17:54

Keith is great on Little Rain too.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 22, 2016 18:29

While Keith might not be up and front in an obvious way to some people, he is indeed there throughout in a big way.
I would consider Keith the Godfather of this album...behind the scenes, giving the orders, directing the plans, and making it happen.
Without Keith, this album wouldn't be what it is - the only thing missing is a lead vocal.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 22, 2016 18:36

If you concentrate on the individual left or right channel, it is quite clear who is doing what, but who cares?

Its the combination of the two guitar parts that makes the difference!

At last an album WITHOUT separation between the guitars!

Exactly what I miss in Voodoo Lounge, just to make an example!

C

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 22, 2016 18:39

psssst . I'll say this in a whisper.

I'm quite surprised that a few nay sayers haven't piped up to say that "...the only thing missing is Bill."

Hope I haven't woken them up !winking smiley

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 22, 2016 18:57

Spud
psssst . I'll say this in a whisper.

I'm quite surprised that a few nay sayers haven't piped up to say that "...the only thing missing is Bill."

Hope I haven't woken them up !winking smiley

Can't direct you to the exact page, but it has been noted, of course.

Don't underestimate IORR's naysayers

C

Date: December 22, 2016 19:08

...should have known grinning smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 22, 2016 20:56

nightskyman
Yeah, too bad Bill Wyman wasn't invited for one the weekend session days...

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: December 22, 2016 21:51

georgelicks
Anitapal82

I'm also curious George why you think Keith is playing all the riffs on REOD? I will say this record is Keith's baby. Brilliant move on his part to get Mick to play harmonica. Without the harmonica, this record doesn't exist.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: December 22, 2016 22:13

Keith's playing on the album is soulful and beautiful. His licks and flourishes provide specificity and style. It's true that in many of the songs he lets Ronnie go, and then he listens, and plays. He's the weave. They and Charlie sound like a sympathetic combo, while Darryl lays the foundation, and allow Jagger to shine.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: December 22, 2016 22:24

It´s a group playing together. They know what to do, and it sounds great to me.

Left or right channel? Who gives a @#$%&?

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 22, 2016 22:48

this album stands on its own at this stage of their carreer.
to compare it with their greatest has no sense, because it's a cover album in 2016. as new as it may sound to some fans here the rolling stones were a "better" band in the seventies (in their thirties). Can we give that for granted and move on and hear their music now for what it is?
Then. How a stones fan can not appreciate B&L and can not appreciate the way the band plays on it - finding all kind of flaws: originals are better, listen to 1964 they were better then, where's keith, mick's showcase, to high, to low in the mix... - is beyond me
this is a damn good album

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-22 22:56 by maumau.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 22, 2016 23:55

How a stones fan can not appreciate B&L and can not appreciate the way the band plays on it - finding all kind of flaws: originals are better, listen to 1964 they were better then, where's keith, mick's showcase, to high, to low in the mix... - is beyond me

YES .... and YES ain't it strange to read the ones who digging around
trying their hardest to find fault with it ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 23, 2016 00:08

Rockman
How a stones fan can not appreciate B&L and can not appreciate the way the band plays on it - finding all kind of flaws: originals are better, listen to 1964 they were better then, where's keith, mick's showcase, to high, to low in the mix... - is beyond me

YES .... and YES ain't it strange to read the ones who digging around
trying their hardest to find fault with it ...

Makes me think of the lyrics of COMMIT A CRIME...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 23, 2016 00:24

Makes me think of the lyrics of COMMIT A CRIME...

well!! ...I's been poisoned so many times through this
year that I feel like a rabbit with a dose of Myxomatosis ... and I don't even drink coffeeeeee

ROCKMAN

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: December 23, 2016 00:42

maumau
this album stands on its own at this stage of their carreer.
to compare it with their greatest has no sense, because it's a cover album in 2016. as new as it may sound to some fans here the rolling stones were a "better" band in the seventies (in their thirties). Can we give that for granted and move on and hear their music now for what it is?
Then. How a stones fan can not appreciate B&L and can not appreciate the way the band plays on it - finding all kind of flaws: originals are better, listen to 1964 they were better then, where's keith, mick's showcase, to high, to low in the mix... - is beyond me

Indeed, this album sounds so good, I'm just enjoying it as it is. I'm not really thinking about who's playing what or what channel they're in. It's the Stones playing as one tight unit and that's more than good enough!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 23, 2016 00:44

Watch it ROCKMAN...

Quoting... QUOTING... well... it JUST is not the right time...

drinking smiley

I Can't QUOTE you Babyiiieee...............

>grinning smiley< eye rolling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-23 00:48 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: rod ()
Date: December 23, 2016 01:21

Hairball
While Keith might not be up and front in an obvious way to some people, he is indeed there throughout in a big way.
I would consider Keith the Godfather of this album...behind the scenes, giving the orders, directing the plans, and making it happen.
Without Keith, this album wouldn't be what it is - the only thing missing is a lead vocal.

totally agree..

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 23, 2016 02:15

rod
Hairball

totally agree..

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 23, 2016 06:10

Anitapal82

as it should be on this record. It works mighty fine. Props to RW especially for his efforts and to KR too.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 23, 2016 10:16

MisterDDDD
rod
Hairball

totally agree..

thumbs upthumbs up
thumbs uphot smileysmileys with beer
jeroen

Date: December 23, 2016 10:49

Bjorn
It´s a group playing together. They know what to do, and it sounds great to me.

Left or right channel? Who gives a @#$%&?

thumbs up

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: December 23, 2016 20:41

There was no way to double the guitars like one would normally do in a recording studio. So at times Keith and Ron may be playing the same or similar part. Also, on some of Ron's riff's, Keith comes in and plays a few of the lower octave notes (Just Your Fool, REOD, etc)

The record sounds very full, guitar wise, to me. Considering there were no overdub doubles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-23 20:43 by mpj200.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 23, 2016 21:55

Hairball

Wishful thinking for the most part. Aural evidence suggests otherwise. Mick shines on this album, which, by the way, has two songs that he did before in "recent" years - Everybody Knows About My Good Thing (with Gary Moore, even released as an official single b-side) and Commit A Crime (with Jeff Beck). Keith is back to his role he played on all the early Stones albums - delivering great guitar parts - and not trying to play the role of the band's second lead singer. Maybe that's one of the reasons why not only diehard Stones fans, but also Joe the average rock music lover buys the album.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-23 21:58 by retired_dog.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...99100101102103104105106107108109...LastNext
Current Page: 104 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1681
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home