Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...979899100101102103104105106107...LastNext
Current Page: 102 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 20, 2016 16:56

HouseBoyKnows
GasLightStreet
Although they spent months on SOME GIRLS, BLUE AND LONESOME has that kind of vibe going with it - it sounds vibrantly fresh ie different - on the edge of being abrasive. Looking at the amount of material they cut for SOME GIRLS, they were just flinging ideas all over the place.

They did the same with BLUE AND LONESOME only with 12 songs instead of 40 something (being covers obviously had a huge hand in the amount of time it took as well).

Check out When You're Gone from the Some Girls sessions. Or for that matter Down in the Hole. Both would fit right in on B&L. Amazing

HBK

When You're Gone would've been better if Mick had... put a little more work into the vocals - they're awful. Otherwise it's a great tune.

Date: December 20, 2016 16:58

matxil
GasLightStreet

History will support this accurate list of the Stones' greatest albums:

Beggars Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile On Main Street
Some Girls
Tattoo You
Blue And Lonesome

And Aftermath?

AFTERMATH is a great album but it seems to not hold up to be one of their greatest like The Big 6.

Date: December 20, 2016 17:19

HMS
GasLightStreet

History will support this accurate list of the Stones' greatest albums:

Beggars Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile On Main Street
Some Girls
Tattoo You
Blue And Lonesome

No historian in the whole wide world would ever agree.
Exile doesn´t belong to their greatest albums for it´s amount of fillers.
Some Girls doesn´t for it´s lack of outstanding songs.
Tattoo You isn´t an "regular" album at all, I´ve told you so many times....
Blue And Lonesome is a very good cover album but it will be forgotten within a few years since historians will always focus on albums of original compositions.

Well, fortunately you're not a music historian nor do any have your idiotic ideas as well as your ability to like bad music and not be able to hear good music. Current music historians not only agree, they think it themselves: those albums are great. Their orders of greatness don't matter. Some of them even include AFTERMATH. In fact, some critics have an odd way of viewing EOMS with something you say it's too full of yet this dude articulates exactly why it's not a bad thing:

The great songs don’t really work as a barometer. You know what does? Filler. No matter where a Stones album sits on the spectrum, it’s bound to include some filler: jams, goofs, pastiches, bizarre meanderings, etc. Yes, even the hallowed Exile on Main St. features some filler, it just happens to be excitingly performed, strangely beguiling … well, junk. If the Stones could create glorious transcendence out of “Monkey Man” or find tattered fun in “Far Away Eyes,” their respective albums only improved as a whole. The more killer the filler, the better the record.

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

BLUE AND LONESOME will stand out in the discography, especially considering the previous 6 LPs, regardless of it being a covers album. That has zero relevance. As much as even I think UNDERCOVER is a great album in reality I know it's not.

Liking something and understanding something are two things you can't grasp, either naturally or purposely. On top of that you are purposely immune to education of music quality and history.

That is why you (purposely) fail as a Stones fan for thinking SOME GIRLS and EXILE and TATTOO YOU and now BLUE AND LONESOME are not of the greatest Stones albums.

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: December 20, 2016 17:42

Wauw, we're getting into someting really deep here.

Rock n roll, man.

Date: December 20, 2016 17:47

BLUE AND LONESOME stands among EXILE, STICKY FINGERS and TATTOO YOU among others!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 20, 2016 18:40

GasLightStreet
Hairball
For what it's worth, Keith had also said there were no new Mick Taylor overdubs on Plundered My Soul...

"Richards denies murmurings that Taylor, who left the band in late 1974, contributed overdubs to the reissue package. “That’s a rumor, babe,” he says.
“If he was on there, I would know. We’ve had no contact with Mick for a long time.”' (Guitar World magazine)

HE WOULD KNOW!

Lol - I wouldn't have wanted to be in the same room with Keith when he found out the truth! eye popping smiley

That quote was given right around the time (or prior) to Exile Deluxe being released (May 2010), and LIFE was first published in Oct. 2010.
He might have still had time to add a few nasty anecdotes about someone in LIFE when he found out the truth? winking smiley

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: December 20, 2016 20:07

sorta starting to like DW even tho i can't remember hearing it.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 20, 2016 22:45

GasLightStreet
BLUE AND LONESOME stands among EXILE, STICKY FINGERS and TATTOO YOU among others!

Blue and Lonesome doesn't make it to my Mt. Rushmore. Totally entertaining but no original material. Maybe next years album will qualify!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-20 22:46 by Maindefender.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 21, 2016 02:29

Natlanta

i would prefer to deny I ever heard it.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: December 21, 2016 03:11

"Ride ´em on down" the new vinyl single:

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 21, 2016 04:18

man ...if their upcoming album has the playing and attitude

Blue And Lonesome has .. and that dark, mad sound...

whoooo!

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: December 21, 2016 04:47

"Disque du mois" (album of the month) in French magazine Rock & Folk : [www.rocknfolk.com]

They even claim it's the band best album since Exile on Main St...

Date: December 21, 2016 05:37

Maindefender
GasLightStreet

Blue and Lonesome doesn't make it to my Mt. Rushmore. Totally entertaining but no original material. Maybe next years album will qualify!!

Material is moot. It's the intention, the will and the performance.

Date: December 21, 2016 05:38

Rip This
Natlanta

i would prefer to deny I ever heard it.

It's wort zero time if you have a love for good music and good songs.

By all means, if you like sub-standard and zero standard music, listen away.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 21, 2016 06:27

duke richardson

whoooo!

thumbs up

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: December 21, 2016 08:15

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
For what it's worth, Keith had also said there were no new Mick Taylor overdubs on Plundered My Soul...

"Richards denies murmurings that Taylor, who left the band in late 1974, contributed overdubs to the reissue package. “That’s a rumor, babe,” he says.
“If he was on there, I would know. We’ve had no contact with Mick for a long time.”' (Guitar World magazine)

And he plays Satisfaction, Little T+A and other standard tuning-songs in open G grinning smiley

It's touching that people still are believing everything Keith and Ronnie say.

They could be right to a certain extent about not adding many overdubs themselves, though. As mpj200 says, guitar parts and harp parts (isn't some harp parts going while Mick is singing, btw?) could have been from pre-production or from other places in the song.

It's obvious that Ronnie's solo track on Everybody Knows About My Good Thing was overdubbed, though, as his other guitar track is going simultaneously for a while when the solo track starts.

Don Was would do whatever it takes to make the record sound as good as possible. Every producer does. I think you are suggesting there were overdubs based on what your ears are telling you. And it's impossible for your ears to know.

"Overdubbing" generally means recording a track on top of the existing tracks. But Producers can also take bits and pices from alternate passes (takes) and piece them together and achieve a similar effect. This is the norm these days. It's how records are made. What makes this a little complicated for Was is the fact that the songs were not recorded to a click track and on tape. So if there are extra "parts" they would have likely been pieced together manually. Apart from the piano and percussion sessions previously mentioned.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 21, 2016 08:28

HMS

Tattoo You isn´t an "regular" album at all, I´ve told you so many times....

ah, yes, sorry, forgot you are the authority around here

Rod

Date: December 21, 2016 08:39

noughties
"Ride ´em on down" the new vinyl single:

[www.amazon.co.uk]

It came out before the album.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 21, 2016 10:54

duke richardson

whoooo!

thumbs up

Date: December 21, 2016 11:02

mpj200
DandelionPowderman
Hairball

And he plays Satisfaction, Little T+A and other standard tuning-songs in open G grinning smiley

It's touching that people still are believing everything Keith and Ronnie say.

They could be right to a certain extent about not adding many overdubs themselves, though. As mpj200 says, guitar parts and harp parts (isn't some harp parts going while Mick is singing, btw?) could have been from pre-production or from other places in the song.

It's obvious that Ronnie's solo track on Everybody Knows About My Good Thing was overdubbed, though, as his other guitar track is going simultaneously for a while when the solo track starts.

Don Was would do whatever it takes to make the record sound as good as possible. Every producer does. I think you are suggesting there were overdubs based on what your ears are telling you. And it's impossible for your ears to know.

"Overdubbing" generally means recording a track on top of the existing tracks. But Producers can also take bits and pices from alternate passes (takes) and piece them together and achieve a similar effect. This is the norm these days. It's how records are made. What makes this a little complicated for Was is the fact that the songs were not recorded to a click track and on tape. So if there are extra "parts" they would have likely been pieced together manually. Apart from the piano and percussion sessions previously mentioned.

Ronnie's solo is not «bits and pieces» (it's a track going from «I was talking to my neighbour, and throughout the song) and you said yourself that he did the other guitar track live with Clapton - hence it's an overdub.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-21 11:03 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: December 21, 2016 11:17

I don't see overdubs as an issue at all...so long as the basic track was recorded with a band playing together as a whole.

It's when the whole bloody thing is cobbled together from folks playing in isolation that the entire spirit of the music & perforamce is lost.

You then get "music by numbers" and very ordinary product.

Date: December 21, 2016 11:23

Spud
I don't see overdubs as an issue at all...so long as the basic track was recorded with a band playing together as a whole.

It's when the whole bloody thing is cobbled together from folks playing in isolation that the entire spirit of the music & perforamce is lost.

I agree totally, it's not an issue, but I really don't see the need for painting a different picture, either.

It's within the energy of the backing tracks the greatness of this album is to be found indeed.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 21, 2016 12:34

GasLightStreet
Maindefender
GasLightStreet

Material is moot. It's the intention, the will and the performance.

Plus no Keith vocals, very close but no Cuban cigar.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 21, 2016 12:44

DandelionPowderman
Spud

I agree totally, it's not an issue, but I really don't see the need for painting a different picture, either.

It's within the energy of the backing tracks the greatness of this album is to be found indeed.

smileys with beerIts in the top 5 of my Greatest Stones albums.
Jeroen.
will be hard for the Stones to top this one

Date: December 21, 2016 13:13

Maindefender
... no Keith vocals, very close but no Cuban cigar.

Yes, the lack of Keith vocals is the one minus for me...

[....asside from the vinyl being cut just a little too hot...but I said I wouldn't start moaning about that stuff winking smiley]

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: December 21, 2016 13:24

Best Stones album since......bloody ages ago. They sound like...the Stones on form with just the right spark of spontaneity that can push their live shows to another level captured in the studio. I had my doubts about the Stones doing a blues album - and, yes, I do still prefer some of the originals than the versions on B&L - but what a fine job they've done. I reckon it would have been a different outcome if they had spent months on it.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 21, 2016 13:31

GasLightStreet
It's wort zero time if you have a love for good music and good songs.
By all means, if you like sub-standard and zero standard music, listen away.

Everybody except you knows that Harlem Shuffle, One Hit, Winning Ugly, Dirty Work, Had It With You ARE VERY good songs. You won´t find sub-standard and zero standard music on DW. If you´re looking for that kind of stuff you´ll have to listen to Goats Head Soup, Steel Wheels and Some Girls.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-21 13:43 by HMS.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 21, 2016 14:45

HMS

Everybody except you knows that Harlem Shuffle, One Hit, Winning Ugly, Dirty Work, Had It With You ARE VERY good songs.

Please no! Not that argument again. It's X-mas time, let's set a "no DW discussion" truce! grinning smiley

Date: December 21, 2016 15:01

HMS (left) and GasLightStreet shaking hands, saying enough is enough... for Christmas grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-21 15:54 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 21, 2016 17:35

Spud
Maindefender
... no Keith vocals, very close but no Cuban cigar.

Yes, the lack of Keith vocals is the one minus for me...

I love Keith on vocals as much as the next person ... but in this occasion I'm fine with it. Mick is far superior for Blues singing than Keith is, and Mick is fantastic on every track. If it were a reggae, country, or rock tunes, Keith would surely have had a vocal track.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...979899100101102103104105106107...LastNext
Current Page: 102 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1709
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home