Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...9899100101102103104105106107108...LastNext
Current Page: 103 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 21, 2016 17:55

Wouldn't disagree with that.

Plus, the way they went about this album didn't allow for any pre-planning in that regard.

And as you say...when the Stones are a Blues band... MicK is the singer.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 21, 2016 18:02

kowalski
"Disque du mois" (album of the month) in French magazine Rock & Folk : [www.rocknfolk.com]

They even claim it's the band best album since Exile on Main St...

Manoeuvre's made that claim with each new album I can remember, Dirty Work, Voodoo Lounge, etc...in fact it was funny in 1994 when he was all over VL during a program on tFrance Inter another guy reminded him that he'd said the exact same thingz about DW and he was like, well, yes but this time it's different ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 21, 2016 18:09

As much as I love the album, I have to remind myself how much I love these early covers:

Honest I Do
Mona
I'm a King Bee
Not Fade Away
Down Home Girl
Down the Road Apiece
I Can't Be Satisfied
Little Red Rooster

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 21, 2016 18:25

Oh can you see THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD IS ABOUT THE "NEW" ROLLING STONES ALBUM "BLUE & LONESOME"

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: December 21, 2016 18:35

yes!!!! c'mon stones just go out for theaters-clubs tour with B&L + First three albums set .... would be great .... until "the end of".

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 21, 2016 19:00

teleblaster
Best Stones album since......bloody ages ago. They sound like...the Stones on form with just the right spark of spontaneity that can push their live shows to another level captured in the studio. I had my doubts about the Stones doing a blues album - and, yes, I do still prefer some of the originals than the versions on B&L - but what a fine job they've done. I reckon it would have been a different outcome if they had spent months on it.

Just about sums up what I've been saying all along, except for this - I'd replace 'some of the originals' with 'all of the originals'. And rather than having 'doubts' I actually had high hopes for this covers album, and it has pretty much met my expectations. It's a darn good covers album, and is the best Stones album in eons (specifically 1981). The Stones have seen the light again, and if on the next album we get this same sound and attitude, and it's an album made up of great originals and a couple of covers, then it will be as close to perfect as can be hoped for at this late point in their career. Can't see how anything new could ever compare to 'the big 4', but miracles do happen (IMO). For now, I'm a happy camper and thankful the Stones have made something enjoyable to listen to - whether it's covers or not. For those missing a Keith lead vocal (like myself), I've discovered that when B&L is listened to along with Crosseyed Heart in random mode, it's much more enjoyable than when B&L is listened to from start to finish on it's own. Unfortunately, this is not possible with vinyl.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 21, 2016 19:17

Does not bother me in the least that we do not have a lead Keith vocal because once this album starts playing you forget all about everything and you are instantly transplanted back to the Delta via the North side of Chicago and you just start getting so blasted on traditional 12 bar blues. My wish is the Glimmer Twins follow this masterpiece with another masterpiece of the blues, covers and all because outside of Muddy Waters and B.B.King , and Freddie King and Albert King (the 3 kings) and Buddy Guy and Junior Wells and all of the other greats nobody INTERPERTS the BLUES like the Rolling Stones !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 21, 2016 19:26

Someone postet a playlist of the originals some time ago.
Listened to all of them and some other cover-versions by other artists.
Honestly, nothing beats the Stones´ versions.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 21, 2016 19:28

I'm fine with no Keith vocals on B&L. But with the brief discussion of whether B&L belongs with the Stones absolute finest works that was one of two reasons I felt it fell down to the next tier of awesomeness.......

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 21, 2016 19:48

HMS
You won´t find sub-standard and zero standard music on DW. If you´re looking for that kind of stuff you´ll have to listen to Goats Head Soup, Steel Wheels and Some Girls.

Wrong. Plain and simple.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 21, 2016 20:12

It's a good game to list what one misses in the record (at least until you dont miss the point that you like it or not what you hear)

so my small list is

1) yes Keith overdubbing a little background vocals here and there and giving his taste would not have bothered me at all!
2) also a little horns to alternate here and there mick's fabolous harp work (I loved the horns at the end of "I'm not signifying" on Exile deluxe and they blend perfectly with that work)
3) A third disc of this music grinning smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 21, 2016 21:46

Just got my first shipment from the Amazon.UK special containing one of the three deluxe editions.(!!!!)

Wow. It is impressive.
Can't wait to get and then give the other two!

Thanks again to those that posted the link for these.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: December 21, 2016 22:08

MisterDDDD
Just got my first shipment from the Amazon.UK special containing one of the three deluxe editions.(!!!!)

Wow. It is impressive.
Can't wait to get and then give the other two!

Thanks again to those that posted the link for these.

I got the 1 of 3 yesterday but I had to mail it immediately so it would arrive to the giftee by Christmas. It was KILLING me not to open it! I hope the other 2 come today so I can dig in to the copy I am keeping, but it's not due until Thursday. Aaaargh.

Posted by: laf848 ()
Date: December 21, 2016 22:31

I received my 3 copies in 2 shipments Monday & Tuesday. Really impressed with it. What a great album. I wouldn't change anything.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 21, 2016 22:36

I LOVE AMAZON!!! All of the shipping info in my e-mail said my three copies would be arriving on December 27th, 2016. Imagine my surprise when I looked at the tracking info today and it said that it was delivered to my office YESTERDAY!!! Sure enough, when I went to the mailbox, there it was. I was a bit nervous when I saw the condition that the box was in, but due to the fact that there was plenty of "padding" and each of the Deluxe Albums had been shipped inside of their own individual "inventory storage box" they are all in perfect condition. At least I assume they are as I've only actually opened one of them!

Thanks again to the original poster who shared this offer with the rest of us (I don't remember who that was) and also to all of the early purchasers who shared their insight on the ordering process. I wouldn't own this version without you. And neither would the two people who will be receiving it as a gift from me!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: rollingloc ()
Date: December 21, 2016 23:21

amazing to read all those comments about this new album.
I'm a real stones addict and I don't find any interest in this cover album. It would have been a good bootleg but not an album.

sweet home chicago , shame shame shame, my first plea... are really much better than this!

I was so disappointed when i first listened to B&L. My first question was: "where is keith?"
We can't hear him on this album. That's why Mick plays so much harmonica...
Keith can't play any solos anymore?

We're so far from ABB which was a real big bang!

Date: December 21, 2016 23:26

rollingloc
I'm a real stones addict and I don't find any interest in this cover album. It would have been a good bootleg but not an album.

sweet home chicago , shame shame shame, my first plea... are really much better than this!

I was so disappointed when i first listened to B&L. My first question was: "where is keith?"

He's there on every song in the right channel. He plays the lead intro on Ride 'Em On Down and the outro solo on All Of Your Love + the great slide guitar on Hoo Doo Blues and lots of licks on most of the other songs.

On songs like Just Your Fool it's Ronnie you can't hear smiling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 21, 2016 23:38

my UK shipment came today...I've done my part to support our boys in their golden years.

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: December 22, 2016 00:50

DandelionPowderman
rollingloc

He's there on every song in the right channel. He plays the lead intro on Ride 'Em On Down and the outro solo on All Of Your Love + the great slide guitar on Hoo Doo Blues and lots of licks on most of the other songs.

Just Your Fool? You can't hear Ron? Are you the Pinball Wizzard perhaps?

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: December 22, 2016 00:56

GasLightStreet
HMS
Tattoo You isn´t a regular Stones-album. It´s a compilation of leftovers, some of them very old. The songs on TY are not even the Stones´s choice, Kimsey came up with them after spending lots of time in the vaults in search of something that could be used to stitch an album together. Another producer maybe would have chosen different tracks to work with. Mick and Kimsey realized TY without any or only minor contributions by the other band members.

Here you go again with your nonsense. The age of the songs is irrelevant. Major contributions by band members made the songs ready for Jagger to add vocals to. All studio albums are compilations of songs that have been recorded.

HMS
So B&L is their best album since DW of course.

So was STEEL WHEELS, VOODOO LOUNGE, BRIDGES TO BABYLON and A BIGGER BANG, of course, because at that point Mick Jagger recording an album of Keith snoring would've been better than DW. And everything before it was their best before DW of course.

HMS
I liked it immediately and it even grows on me, it´s the "real" Stones, the Stones "unmasked" for the first time in about 30 years. B&L, just like DW or Black And Blue practically consists of highlights only.

DW has one highlight. It consists of very poor writing and communication.

HMS
Such a great cover album makes me somewhat afraid of a new album of originals to be honest, especially when thinking of the amount of fillers/inferior songs on SW, VL, B2B & ABB.

The amount of inferior songs on those albums combined are less than the entire catastrophe of DW.

HMS
The only way to top B&L is recording another Blues-album, this time consisting of even better material and a bit more variety.

Said by someone that thought B&L wouldn't sell or be worthy.

HMS
There isn´t only Chicago-Blues, there´s Country Blues, acoustic Blues and on and on.

Like you, on and on about nothing. So what if there are other kinds of country. You just said B&L is a great album but then you immediately undermine it with what else they should do.

HMS
And all of the piano parts of course should be played by Chuck - he´s a marvelous Blues-pianist,listen to Fancy Man Blues and it´s clear to see.

Nope. And hopefully not, of course. You love plinky plink, real Stones fans don't, of course. Chuck's playing is so pedestrian it's painful.

History will support this accurate list of the Stones' greatest albums:

Beggars Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile On Main Street
Some Girls
Tattoo You
Blue And Lonesome

I agree with the above list of greatest stones albums but I would add in the Stones first album on Decca to the list.

Date: December 22, 2016 01:05

mpj200
DandelionPowderman
rollingloc

Just Your Fool? You can't hear Ron? Are you the Pinball Wizzard perhaps?

Yes. I feel all the bumpers, and I'm always playing clean...

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: December 22, 2016 02:07

Powderman, just curious why you think Keith plays the lead on the intro of REOD?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-22 06:16 by mpj200.

Posted by: Anitapal82 ()
Date: December 22, 2016 03:18

This album must have the least Keith I have ever heard , and for the first Time ever I am hearing Ron out of both channels . The separation of the guitars, Ron on left Keith on right seems to have gone , with Ron dominating on both channels , or am I deaf , and one short Keith solo ! That's it ! Very unusual.

Date: December 22, 2016 09:49

Anitapal82
This album must have the least Keith I have ever heard , and for the first Time ever I am hearing Ron out of both channels . The separation of the guitars, Ron on left Keith on right seems to have gone , with Ron dominating on both channels , or am I deaf , and one short Keith solo ! That's it ! Very unusual.

He also plays lead licks, like in ending of every 12 bars on Just Your Fool.

Where do you hear Ronnie in the right channel? His overdubbed solo on Everybody knows About My Good Thing is center right, but that's because Clapton plays (and because he has another track going in the left channel).

Date: December 22, 2016 09:51

mpj200
Powderman, just curious why you think Keith plays the lead on the intro of REOD?

Because it's classic Keith: Spotty and runs with staccato + his sound and choice of guitar (The Gibson ES, I believe).

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-22 09:59 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: December 22, 2016 11:29

Anitapal82

I would say the least front and in your face Keith, but his signature is still all over it. His driving chugging rhythm guitar is all over the album although mixed a bit low.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: December 22, 2016 11:59

HonkeyTonkFlash
Anitapal82

I would say the least front and in your face Keith, but his signature is still all over it. His driving chugging rhythm guitar is all over the album although mixed a bit low.

On some songs (Just Your Fool, All Of Your Love, Blue And Lonesome, Hoo Doo Blues, Little Rain, Just Like I Treat You and I Can't Quit You Baby he's high up in the mix, though.

He's very low in the mix on Hate To See You Go, where he almost without an exception sticks to the rhythm pattern. A bit unusual for Keith..

Posted by: jonnylamar ()
Date: December 22, 2016 15:15

All your love is the weakest song on the album imho it sounds tentative and unrehearsed and a pale imitation of magic sams original with none of his lead guitar. The rest of the album is more faithful to the original versions

Posted by: Anitapal82 ()
Date: December 22, 2016 15:24

For the first time ever Ron is the dominant guitarist and Keith is second fiddle with one short solo. Enough with the harmonica , more guitar solos please

Date: December 22, 2016 15:34

Anitapal82
For the first time ever Ron is the dominant guitarist and Keith is second fiddle with one short solo. Enough with the harmonica , more guitar solos please

Did you forget these albums?

Some Girls (2 Keith-solos)
Emotional Rescue (3 Keith-solos)
Tattoo You (2 Keith-solos)
Undercover (2 Keith-solos + a very short break in Too Tough)
Dirty Work (2 Keith-solos)

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...9899100101102103104105106107108...LastNext
Current Page: 103 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1806
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home